Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 am

Post by gorckat »

Elias_the_thief wrote:
gorckat wrote:
Elias wrote:In addition, it would look bad to vote for him with the mounting Nelly wagon anyhow, so I voted Nelly.
You continue to say not looking bad is a reason not to vote someone you are suspicious of.
What part of my previous statements "In addition" and "This was my weakest reason" do you not understand? Despite all my posts on the subject, you still attack this reasoning as if it were the only rationale I used when determining my vote.
gorckat wrote: After voting Nelly, you go round a little with xombie, then address Nelly's suspicions where you first said (as I've quoted before):
Elias wrote:and if you turned up scum and I had in the heat of your wagon voted for him instead, it would have appeared that I was simply distracting from your wagon purposefully.
I just don't like the whole 'avoiding scum tells despite suspicions is a good thing'. Townies should play fearlessly.
Why is that? No one has once explained to me why it is bad for a townie to be consious of appearing protown. My record as town is 1-4, I'm always very concious of appearing town, since I do say badly at it usually. If this is your rationale for lynching me, you had better come up with some reason as to why trying to appear protown is a scummy play.

gorc:Trying to do pro-town things is fine. Not going after suspects because you might be called suspect yourself is what I find disagreeable. That you even considered, "Gee- they'll see this as scummy" is, well- scummy to me.

gorckat wrote: The extreme loss of temper also doesn't ingratiate me. What you basically said is, 'Reason doesn't work, so let me name call.'
Extreme loss of temper? Reason doesnt work? I hardly call my anger extreme, and I consider it to be well warranted. I only namecalled once, and that was to call vollkan a dumbass over one point. Please do not go over my latest arguments and say "ZOMG! he name called, now i can disregard everything he says. Not once in that post did I abandon reason. How bout actually reading about how it wasnt a contradiction on my part? How bout addressing my arguments?

gorc: dumbass, idiotic accusatins, thickskulled, deaf ears are instances I considered namecalling, since they attack individuals (tangentially on the 2nd item).

Saying you have to get angry to get it through thick skulls seems like simple reason isn't working for you.

gorckat wrote:
vote: Elias_the_thief
And now you vote for me. What are your reasons? You are simply jumping on because you can. First, you have not responded to any of my arguments, and let Vollkan do that work for you. Second, Vollkan hasnt even responded to my most recent proof that I didnt make a contradiction. Thus my first and most prominent reason for making my vote stands. I have no idea why I'm being voted by practically everyone. I want an explanation from Gorkcat and the hermit as to why theyre voting me.
I thought I'd said something like this earlier, but I ahve felt volkan's arguments were stronger than your defenses. A few points you are correct on, such as Hermit's initial vote post saying he wanted oj gone. But the sum total seems to work against you.

The exchange between Oman and volkan seemed to fast and natural to have been any kind of scum gambit.

Also, "practically everyone" sounds like "majority". You have 4 votes. Perhaps majority was not used literally by volkan when he said you 'followed the majority in voting Nelly'? Just noticed that, and trying to get out of work, so I'll leave that to someone else or myself for later.
Paradoxombie
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:01 am

Post by Paradoxombie »

Bold parts are mine.
curiouskarmadog wrote:I guess when you say your “logic” you mean this post.
Paradoxombie wrote:
curiouskarmadog wrote: did you miscount?
Yes. I didn't realize he was near a lynch so I made casual and incomplete count. My fault entirely. But take notice that I said, "I believe." It's important to account for human error.

I find it a little pointless to bother asking players if they're doing things for antitown purposes; the answer is always "no"

As a note, I obviously didn't realize I was putting him at -1, but like I said, unless he starts actually playing, we're gonna lynch him anyway.
curiouskarmadog wrote:
Paradoxombie wrote:
Unfortunately(unless he's mafia), he's forced our hand. It's 100% necessary to lynch someone who doesn't play.

that puts him at -3 I believe
this is by far the scummiest sentences thus far in this game...

100% necessary? Forced our hand? -3?

If he doesnt want to post then he is replaced...someone is hungry for a lynch..why is that?...
If anyone here is hungry for a lynch, it's you, for me, because you seem pretty damn worried about your little friend Nelly and quick to deflect suspicion to me.

Anyway if ABR is willing to replace Nelly, then that's that, but I am against it for ethical reasons. I don't believe in replacing except for disapearing and direct gamebreaking.

If we let someone live who isn't gonna post any content then we have no way of knowing if they're mafia. Therefore we will never lynch them, and are possibly letting mafia have a vote all game along with their free pass. Therefore the only logical choice is to lynch him now. I'd say there's a slightly higher chance that he's a townie since mafia seem less likely to end up bored and expirimenting in games. But hey, it's not that much worse odds than the average day 1 lynch.
I say you look lynch hungry, then your point your finger at me. Which is crap. Please quote me and offer some sort of case where I have been lynch crazy.

(has nothing to do with me voting nelly so I don't even feel like bothering to deal with this, but I was just indicating that unlike you going after me, Nelly had chosen his own fate, and could easily not be lynched by simply playing[I would've unvoted at least]. On the other hand, you attacked me in quick susccession and asked me questions without giving me a chance to answer. You voted me for a mistake and you attacked my argument without counter-argument or basic comprehension)

Not for replacing people, is also crap.

Here's the third time you've attacked my beliefs without any case which isn't very pro-town, but I'll admit I didn't explain my reasons thouroughly either, however I think that makes calling it "crap" it even more ridiculous. If the mod replaces/modkills people for anything other than leaving or game breaking, then it takes away any tactics which uses acting in that now-forbidden way. Since mafia is a very open game there's a time for everything. If Nelly was a Jester I don't think he should be replaced for voting himself or not scumhunting, and since replacing everyone but Jesters for voting themselves would reveal their role, I don' think voting yourself should be a replacable offense. If lurking didn't lead lead to game crippling slowdown, I'm sure it would be fully allowed as a mafia tactic.

Seems to me that lurkers are easy targets for mafia…
Nelly was not a lurker, he posted consistently. I don't think you even know what a lurker is.

The whole last paragraph is completely out there. Basically you say lynching lurkers is a good idea day 1.
Nelly wasn't lurking

no…it isn’t. this to me indicates that you want to get the Night 1 as soon as possible.
Or I actually believe what I'm saying and you don't even understand what you're conclusions are based on

If you lynch a lurker it gives you exactly ZERO information Day 2 to work off of…replace the lurker is always the way to go.
Mods don't normally replace people who are posting, even if they just post random BS, and as I said(with reasoning) I don't think thy should. If ABR decided to I said I would accept it anyway

Yeah, your statements are really based firmly on logic.
You're the one who thought Nelly could/should be replaced. At least I understand the game, sir. Your logic was based in a fantasy world where mods do whatever the town wants. Knowing Nelly wasn't gonna be replaced I refused to let mafia persevere by simply posting nonsense and self-voting. If someone won't let you figure their townieness through analyzable data(logic, argument, thoughts) then that person cannot be allowed to live, or else mafia can always just do nothing

Basically your whole contribution to this game was putting someone at –1 following a dead scum.
I don't know what "following a dead scum" means, but I don't see what you have contributed to the game. I noticed Oman was scum, and did my best to show people, what more do you want? And I've been a little busy defending myself too, while you sit back and contnue to call my logic crap without understanding(of the argument or the game) or reasoning. But I think it's a little much to call that a contribution.

What scum are you currently rooting out?
Paradoxombie wrote: I find it a little pointless to bother asking players if they're doing things
that are blatantly summy
; the answer is always "no"
Currently your vote is on a dead guy.
Better to vote on a dead scum than a living townie
"Beware of Zombie Entanglements."
-George Washington

So it goes.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:29 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

we are talking about lurking in general not Nelly..

now go back, answer the question about lurking in general.

your vote came after Oman (dead scum).

so who do you think the scum in this game is?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Paradoxombie
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Post by Paradoxombie »

curiouskarmadog wrote:we are talking about lurking in general not Nelly..

now go back, answer the question about lurking in general.

Often lurkers do have input just the bare minumum to get by. If a lurker puts too little, then you call them on lurker and ask them to give more input. If they refuse then it's the same situation. You must lynch them if they won't play enough to tell if they're mafia. Active lurking is considered scummy anyway. I have been in that situation before and I did lynch the person along with the rest of the town. Volkan was in that game withh me.

your vote came after Oman (dead scum).

After Oman what?

so who do you think the scum in this game is?

I haven't had time to figure yet. But from what I've seen so far I don't think I'll have anything more than minor suspicions, surely nothing lynch worthy. It's hard with Oman since he didn't have a wagon. I definitely have some minor suspicions of Elias(the main evidence you guys use against him is also against me so I'm hesitant to believe it, but other things are defintely at least a little scummy) and a few things nelly did don't sit right with me.
"Beware of Zombie Entanglements."
-George Washington

So it goes.
Nelly632
Nelly632
Goon
Nelly632
Goon
Goon

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 pm

Post by Nelly632 »

You say calm is good now, but not in your post. You contradicted what you were saying at that time.
I am sorry I dont understand...
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:18 pm

Post by gorckat »

Nelly wrote:Post 133 is me being a prick to see some reactions,
in my mind the people who get really upset are less scummy then the people who take it in stride
… Karma Dog once again questions me instead of voting for me, this is a great sign in my eyes… He has more then enough reasons to vote for me now he could simply say…

“I ask and I ask you simple questions but you refuse to answer so now you leave me no choice but to vote for you Nelly”

But instead he stay patient and gives me some chances to get myself out of hot water, very pro-town move…
In other words, you said calm people are more scummy, but ckd (who reacted calmly) is not.

You later said:
Nelly wrote:In my opinion I had already cleared CKD in my mind as being scum so I was not looking for a reaction from him... Being a jerk was a attempt to get a read from people not CKD because I once again felt I had a good enough read on him... I will give you a example of what I was loking for...

A calm person:
"It looks like someone is taking this game a little bit to serious, tossing insults is not going to take the heat off of you"

A not calm person:
"It is funny how someone can contribute nothing to this game, come out here vote for themselves and then call the rest of us foolish. You need to stop being a noob and get replaced instead of being a jerk."
What exactly had ckd done prior to this reaction to clear himself in your eyes?

Also...interesting turn of phrase there:
...cleared CKD in my mind as being scum...

Not just 'cleared' or 'cleared of' or even 'as not scum', but "cleared...as being scum".

unvote
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:32 pm

Post by vollkan »

Para wrote: I haven't had time to figure yet. But from what I've seen so far I don't think I'll have anything more than minor suspicions, surely nothing lynch worthy. It's hard with Oman since he didn't have a wagon. I definitely have some minor suspicions of Elias(the main evidence you guys use against him is also against me so I'm hesitant to believe it, but
other things
are defintely at least a little scummy) and a few things nelly did don't sit right with me.
What other things?
Hermit wrote: I don't like the way Elias is trying to misrepresent me. It's good that the town's not buying it (as I clarified my position seconds after voting oj), but I get the feeling he thinks if he repeats an argument often enough people will believe it.
I find the points against him logically sound given the information we have.

Vote: Elias_the_thief
Explain how I have refuted Elias.
Nelly wrote: Volkans last two post really swayed me on this one, I think you layed out a beautiful trap that Oman fell right into and gave us his scum buddy...

Unvote: Paradoxombie

Vote: Elia_The_Thief

Sir Tornado, in my long post I pretty much gave really good reasons as to why I believe CKD to be town. I was wondering if you have actually read them & if so what are your thoughts because right now you are really placing alot of pressure on CKD...
Pardon? The Oman trap suggests Para is scum as much as it does Elias. Why did my argument sway you?
Gorckat wrote: This is no defense unless you show how all 3 things cannot be true at the same time. Then its up to us to decide which exclusive option is most likely.

What it looks like is you have done 3 scummy things and are getting called on them all.

volkan's post makes a great deal of sense, and lays a good case for voting elias. In xombie's favor was oman approving a plan involving his lynch, although oman could have been counting on a townie vig to collapse the plan (which I think volkan has said himself).
How have I "called" Elias? Why do ignore the high possibility that Oman was putting Para first as a distancing move?

Also, Gorckat, what was your basis for voting Elias? (I crossed with you here)
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Post by gorckat »

vollkan wrote:
Gorckat wrote: This is no defense unless you show how all 3 things cannot be true at the same time. Then its up to us to decide which exclusive option is most likely.

What it looks like is you have done 3 scummy things and are getting called on them all.

volkan's post makes a great deal of sense, and lays a good case for voting elias. In xombie's favor was oman approving a plan involving his lynch, although oman could have been counting on a townie vig to collapse the plan (which I think volkan has said himself).
How have I "called" Elias? Why do ignore the high possibility that Oman was putting Para first as a distancing move?

Also, Gorckat, what was your basis for voting Elias? (I crossed with you here)
On the 3 scummy things- I misunderstood what he was saying. I thought he was referring to 3 different arguments against him that people were pushing. What he meant, as he later clarified, was 3 reasons for voting Nelly being criticized. I originally said he was being called on them (not just by you) meaning he was being argued with about those three points (not the vote alone).

If you mean 'how have I (volkan) argued against him', you've attacked the reasons for voting Nelly vs Hermit and the Oman distancing/protecting. Those are the two that stand out in my mind and that I can state without re-reading.

I did consider that xombie might have been distanced, but haven't re-read on that. I might have even voted xombie, but pulled off after he made some sense responding to my vote. It is still something I have wanted to look at, but haven't yet.

Do you mean
un
voting Elias, since that is what I think we crossed on? If so, there's a few other connections I'm feeling out, and since you brought it up, I'm gonna be re-reading for any xombie/Oman links.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Post by vollkan »

My point is that I don't like the fact that 4 people (Gorckat included, though his current behaviour changes that) have raised suspicion of Elias entirely on the basis of my arguments; none of whom actually explained HOW Elias was wrong.

Each person was vague about it.

What bugs me is that I don't think my arguments against Elias are powerful enough to warrant the agreement we have seen. That strikes me as very odd and I can't help but wonder if scum are following me on the basis that I look pro-town in light of the vigging of Oman.

In Para's defence, his L-1 vote came just 1 minute after Oman's. In a normal game where there is 7 to lynch, Para's vote would have actually been a L-3 vote.

That doesn't redeem him for his "forcing our hand" comment, but if people are suspecting Para on the basis of him putting Nelly at L-1, there is reason to doubt this.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Not Statistically Significant
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Post by Elias_the_thief »

Alright, my suspicions/opinions of everyone

Vollkan:
Despite all of your arguments against me, and the fact that I feel you're ignoring me in key places and having key misunderstandings, I actually do think of you as protown, due to your behavior in respect to Nelly's actions, as well as the fact that you vigged Oman, which does count for something. Wow, That was a long sentance. I think of you as misguided town.
Official Opinion: Probably Town.

DeepFriedNinja:
The beginning of the game was dominated by his wierd scenarios, and by what I saw as an overreaction to some pressure. However, his interaction with Oman gives me a town feel, although it could have been an attempt at distancing.
Official Opinion: Undecided, leaning towards town.

SPAG:
All his posts have given me a town feel, though no one post stands out.
Official Opinion: Town

Paradoxombie:
I retain my suspicion for OJ unto him, which he didnt like and tried to argue with me. And he seemed to overreact to it. However, he attacks Oman when no one else was really. This makes me feel that he's probably town. So I am conflicted on him.
Official Opinion: Undecided/Conflicted

CuriousKarmaDog:
Throughout the whole game CKD has been opportunistic. He also thinks DFN is scum, and jumps on him for his drama, but it also seems that this is just following Oman, who also said that DFN was likely scum for his drama and editting of a quote (not that big a deal in this case). I also dont like this post, where he tries to control the towns conversation:
curiouskarmadog wrote:
The Deepfried Ninja wrote:alright i realize that my 3 page manifesto followed by no vote looks really dumb. I have no answer for u Im sorry I screwed up. Anything else I do or say is only going to have you asking me more questions. lets just watch the discussion unfold and try to find some scum.
right now, you and OJ are the discussion

Official Opinion: Probably Scum

Hermit:
It was a plus in my mind that he thought OJ and DFN were town, but a big minus that he wanted OJ lynched regardless of alignment. Especially since he never even mentions the possibility of replacement. I think of his second post as a backtrack. Furthermore, he opportunistically jumps on me without responding to any of my points, simply saying that I misrepresented him. However, I was simply stating the exact thing he said in his original post.
Official Opinion: Probably Scum

So most of my suspicions are currently on Hermit and CKD, though I need to finish rereading, because I missed some players in my reread. (gorkcat, nelly, sirtornado)
I play the games rul gud.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:33 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

curiouskarmadog wrote:
MOD

I have noticed that there have been time increments added to our title. For example, “afternoon”, “late afternoon”, and now “evening”..does that mean there is a deadline coming?
For me to know, for you guys to guess 8)
curiouskarmadog wrote:
curiouskarmadog wrote: Pulsewidth, spag, thehermit, and sir tornado have not really posted enough to warrant a judgement right now either way.

gorckat has not posted the whole game (i think) and as i thought dfn has disappeared

so..
Requesting a prod for gorckat and dfn, please.

Gorckat posted today. DFN will be prodded tomorrow. Don't bother asking me to prod someone if it hasn't been 72 hours without a post yet. -Mod

I think I reversed gorckat and SPAG on this post

Mod
can you prod SPAG too?..oh yeah, happy birthday
SPAG posted yesterday. I mean seriously man, you even quoted the part where I say the requirements for a prod :lol:
Last edited by Albert B. Rampage on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:37 pm

vollkan wrote:My point is that I don't like the fact that 4 people (Gorckat included, though his current behaviour changes that) have raised suspicion of Elias entirely on the basis of my arguments; none of whom actually explained HOW Elias was wrong.

Each person was vague about it.

What bugs me is that I don't think my arguments against Elias are powerful enough to warrant the agreement we have seen. That strikes me as very odd and I can't help but wonder if scum are following me on the basis that I look pro-town in light of the vigging of Oman.
Thank you so much Vollkan. I am also getting really irritated about people jumping on me for your arguments. I understand a vote from you, but gorkcat and CKD seem to have just jumped on. Also, when looking over the post from Oman, do you think he was just posting a scumlist that he thought would fit in with the town? that what his post looks like to me:
Oman wrote:
Would you prefer that I vig pulse?

Para
Pulse
Elias

I didn't want you to misinterpret a "yes" as "more than Paradox"

I would, right now, prefer you didn't vig anyone just yet. I would want most if not all players to re-read and post a scumlist.
Also, Vollkan, do you care to respond to my last post in my defense? I know it came across pretty rude, but I think my points on the contradiction issue should clear me on that account. I find it kind of odd you never addressed it in your latest post. However, I am in no means asking you to make another giant post. I think these are only losing the rest of the town, it's probably hard to keep up.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 pm

gorckat wrote:I thought I'd said something like this earlier, but I ahve felt volkan's arguments were stronger than your defenses. A few points you are correct on, such as Hermit's initial vote post saying he wanted oj gone. But the sum total seems to work against you.
So apparently you're voting me based off of the fact that Vollkan makes better arguments? If you're conceding the OJ thing, you're conceding the main reasoning I had for voting nelly over hermit, because he's been falsely calling it a contradiction. If I won that point, I dont think it matters too much if Vol wins the small points.

At the end of this post, I'd like to add that I need to add Nelly to my list of people that need to comeup with reasons for voting me, and pulse to my list of people that I need to reread on.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Post by vollkan »

Elias wrote: Thank you so much Vollkan. I am also getting really irritated about people jumping on me for your arguments. I understand a vote from you, but gorkcat and CKD seem to have just jumped on. Also, when looking over the post from Oman, do you think he was just posting a scumlist that he thought would fit in with the town? that what his post looks like to me:
Don't thank me. I'm not doing this to help you in any way; it's just that I am being wary of what looks like opportunism.

Also, unless I am missing something, CKD has not voted you.

CKD doesn't look suspicious to me personally. Indeed, he has even said:
CKD wrote: Now that Vollkan and Elias has been going round and round he has disappeared and has not provided feedback either way.

I think some pressure needs to be applied on Para.
CKD is, rightly IMHO, trying to get more pressure on Para.

Hence, I am a little intrigued by the fact you are representing CKD as being as opportunistic as Gorckat, whilst ignoring Hermit who gave the least reasoning of anyone.
Elias wrote: So apparently you're voting me based off of the fact that Vollkan makes better arguments? If you're conceding the OJ thing, you're conceding the main reasoning I had for voting nelly over hermit, because he's been falsely calling it a contradiction. If I won that point, I dont think it matters too much if Vol wins the small points.

At the end of this post, I'd like to add that I need to add Nelly to my list of people that need to comeup with reasons for voting me, and pulse to my list of people that I need to reread on.
Gor has unvoted you.
Elias wrote: Also, Vollkan, do you care to respond to my last post in my defense? I know it came across pretty rude, but I think my points on the contradiction issue should clear me on that account. I find it kind of odd you never addressed it in your latest post. However, I am in no means asking you to make another giant post. I think these are only losing the rest of the town, it's probably hard to keep up.
Don't worry about rudeness; rudeness is good. If everybody was rude, nobody would have any reason to be offended and the whole world would be better.

I'll try and do a condensed rebuttal (since I really don't feel like making a massive thing).

Re: Hermit's voting rationale
Elias wrote: It was Hermits primary reason to vote Nelly. My use of contribution was my secondary reason to vote Nelly, and I was still not using it to lynch! My actions and the actions of Hermit are different. Accept it, and stop giving Hermit excuses like, "oh he implied this" how the hell would you know what HE was trying to imply? I don't care if can't see through his backtracks, I can, and that's why I'm suspicious of him. Unless you can get in his head and find out his original motives, then I dont think you can argue with me fairly on this point.
Hermit said he wanted Nelly gone. Yes. That is suspicious, and is one of the things that makes me wary of Hermit's latent opportunism.

However, such a vote also has the effect of pressuring and, hence, it is implied that he will unvote should the votee begin posting. I know you don't think I can look for implications, but the thing is that if you use Hermit's vote as a foundation for suspicion and then do something very similar yourself (even though you don't explicitly say: "I want you dead"), there is a contradiction.
Elias wrote: No I'm not. By voting for Nelly I added pressure that led to Nelly eventually complying and adding information. Who knows whether the wagon wouldve been effective if I hadn't jumped on. If I vote for Hermit, it pressure him into backtracking, which he'd already done. If I pressure Nelly, it forces him to contribute. See why getting a player to contribute is accomplishing more than forcing a player to repeat their backtrack? ya see that?
You can't justify your vote by the fact that Nelly began to contribute, because Nelly's actions were a ploy to pull votes (one voter of which is a confirmed scum).

This pressure point comes to a matter of opinion. In the end, it is not a defence. If you think a pressure wagon is better than a pressure vote, so be it.
Elias wrote: As for the dichtomoy I drew, I have no idea what you're talking about. I was trying to explain how bandwagons and not quicklynches, and how bandwagons are actually good for the town. What issue am I supposedly ignoring? Why bandwagons are good for town? Of course you can say I'm avoiding the issue if you never tell me what the issue is.
Okay.
You say:
Pressure Wagons = Good
Quicklynches = Bad

The problem here is that this ignores the possibility of a slow lynch wagon. As in, you put a vote on, raise a case, a few more votes, a bit more case, then a lynch. That is the dichotomy. You raise only 2 options: Pressure or Quicklynch whilst ignoring a slowlynch.

You then say that you keep wagons in check and justify it on the basis that Nelly turned out alright. Nelly, however, was ALWAYS going to turn out right; it was a trap.

Saying that you "keep wagons in check" is appealing to a meta reason which doesn't work because it only functions if you are town. As in, you are basically saying: "There was no problem because I wouldn't have let a lynch happen because I am town." The fact it is a defence which is dependent on alignment makes it dubious.
Elias wrote: No dumbass. You're drawing false connections. Wagons are good for town. They create more pressure then a single vote, especially since Hermit had already done his backtracking. The fact that it would stand out, as I've already said, was the least important reason for my vote. The fact that other people were voting Nelly is not only connected the the "standing out" point, but also to the pressure point. If you're accepting that more votes is more pressure, and you're accepting that there were more votes on Nelly, then guess what? You just accepted one of my points, not just the one about standing out.
Wagons are not inherently "good". See just above.
Elias wrote: This point is pure BS. How can you accuse someone of not going with the majority while not voting someone? Unless the person is about to lynched, the majority of people are always not voting for someone. I never said most people were beginning to vote Nelly, I said most were turning away from Hermit. I was only the third person on the Nelly wagon. For my vote on Nelly to be joining the majority, you'd have to call 2 of 12 a majority.
I shouldn't have used the word "majority". What I meant is that you were following other people. Much like the reason I am suspicious of the current opportunists, I don't like your behaviour wrt Nelly.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:41 pm

Post by gorckat »

And I agreed with his arguments, not the fact that he did anything better than you did. Oman went down fast, the arguments against you came just as fast, and I feel that the game was in a hurry to get where it was going.

Things are slowing down momentum-wise, but not post wise if that makes any sense, and I feel comfortable pulling back and re-reading. There are things left uncovered as yet that were secondary to my feeling the volkan had you pinned down.

You got flustered, which I admit I react to more strongly than I should. I can cite other games where I've done similar when a player loses his cool and gets rude.

Agreed on pulse needing a re-read. He definitely posted in another game today (no idea what or how many times).
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Albert B. Rampage wrote:
curiouskarmadog wrote:
curiouskarmadog wrote: Pulsewidth, spag, thehermit, and sir tornado have not really posted enough to warrant a judgement right now either way.

gorckat has not posted the whole game (i think) and as i thought dfn has disappeared

so..
Requesting a prod for gorckat and dfn, please.

Gorckat posted today. DFN will be prodded tomorrow. Don't bother asking me to prod someone if it hasn't been 72 hours without a post yet. -Mod

sorry I guess his two posts just seem like he hasnt posted or offered anything..must have missed that post yesterday
I think I reversed gorckat and SPAG on this post

Mod
can you prod SPAG too?..oh yeah, happy birthday
SPAG posted yesterday. I mean seriously man, you even quoted the part where I say the requirements for a prod :lol:
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:55 pm

what the?..my comment didnt go through..

again, sorry Albert, I guess SPAG's 2 or so posts in this entire thread left me thinking he was not posting...guess I missed the post yesterday

here on out, all requests for prods can be handled by someone else.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:34 pm

vollkan wrote: Don't thank me. I'm not doing this to help you in any way; it's just that I am being wary of what looks like opportunism.
I thank you only because the town refuses to listen to me, but will listen to you. By bringing it up, you have ensured something actually is done about it.
vollkan wrote:
Also, unless I am missing something, CKD has not voted you.
curiouskarmadog wrote:For what it is worth here, I think Elias and Hermit (will provide a PBP if needed) has had some very scummy play here, Day 1. However, I do not think either should be the lynch today. I think Para would be the play for today.
I was talking about this post. I'm just saying that he accused me of suspicious play, but was very vague. In retrospect, this post wasnt nearly as scummy as I though, since the purpose is to turn conversation towards Para, who has seemed to have faded.
vollkan wrote: I am a little intrigued by the fact you are representing CKD as being as opportunistic as Gorckat, whilst ignoring Hermit who gave the least reasoning of anyone.
I forgot to add him to my official list of people, he belongs there. But I mentioned the way he jumped on me in my analysis on him and I called him one of my top suspects. Hardly ignoring him.
vollkan wrote: Gor has unvoted you.
Alright. This doesnt change the fact that he jumped on me for no reason. The unvote seems like backtracking to me.
vollkan wrote: Hermit said he wanted Nelly gone. Yes. That is suspicious, and is one of the things that makes me wary of Hermit's latent opportunism.

However,
1) such a vote also has the effect of pressuring
and, hence,
2) it is implied that he will unvote should the votee begin posting
. I know you don't think I can look for implications, but the thing is that
3) if you use Hermit's vote as a foundation for suspicion and then do something very similar yourself (even though you don't explicitly say: "I want you dead"), there is a contradiction.
I divided this section into small parts to better refute.
1) Yes, it had the effect of pressuring. But as you have admitted, it was not intended to pressure, it was intended to lynch. You're accusing me of having a contradiction in terms of the reasoning behind my vote, not what the overall effect was. Therefore, it shouldnt at all matter what happened as an inadvertant effect.

2) What are you talking about? A player could be sure that someone is scum, and vote them, with complete intentions of lynching them. Even though this hypothetical vote is intended purely for lynching, it still puts pressure on the recipient. So how does the fact that the vote
caused
pressure possibly imply that the vote would be taken off?

3) Again, I don't see how What I did was the same. I used the fact that hermit was contributing more as a way of choosing which of two suspicious players I would vote. He used it as a sole rationale for lynching a player.
vollkan wrote: You can't justify your vote by the fact that Nelly began to contribute, because Nelly's actions were a ploy to pull votes (one voter of which is a confirmed scum).
The fact that in this particular case Nelly was just attempting to pull votes does not change the fact that my move to pressure Nelly was the correct play in this situation. Read other games, it gets people to talk.
vollkan wrote: Okay.
You say:
Pressure Wagons = Good
Quicklynches = Bad

The problem here is that this ignores the possibility of a slow lynch wagon. As in, you put a vote on, raise a case, a few more votes, a bit more case, then a lynch. That is the dichotomy. You raise only 2 options: Pressure or Quicklynch whilst ignoring a slowlynch.
How does that ignore it? I never specifically say "slow wagon" or "fast wagon" in my post. Thats a distinction you seem to have drawn on your own. I dont see what your problem is with this supposed slow lynch anyhow. If it is how you make, having case in between adding votes, then whats wrong? If there is a lot of convincing cases involved, its probably a good, informative lynch.
vollkan wrote: You then say that you keep wagons in check and justify it on the basis that Nelly turned out alright. Nelly, however, was ALWAYS going to turn out right; it was a trap.
No I dont. I justify it on the basis that it almost always turns out alright. I used Nelly as an example of this.
vollkan wrote: Saying that you "keep wagons in check" is appealing to a meta reason which doesn't work because it only functions if you are town. As in, you are basically saying: "There was no problem because I wouldn't have let a lynch happen because I am town." The fact it is a defence which is dependent on alignment makes it dubious.
Check my games. I keep wagons in check regardless of alignment. This boils down to WIFOM, since I believe if I can keep a wagon in check and effectively gain the towns trust as mafia, why not do it? I could easily find a better case against someone and advicate that lynch. Since I keep wagons in check in both alignments, my point stands. Go ahead and read my games as scum, as shown in my wiki.

It's good that we have this boiled down to a couple of key points. I'll address another one now. Why bandwagons are always good.

Reasons bandwagons are good:

1) By bandwagoning a player, you pressure them into possibly making a mistake as scum, and revealing a major scum tell.
2) By bandwagoning, you can find oppurtunistic players who just jump on, and when later questioned, come up with no reasons for their vote.
3) By bandwagoning, you find a reliable record of who defended who, which becomes vital later in the game, when you have the alignment of a few players known for sure. This works with the opportunistic players who jump on with no reason, if you find that the player wagoned was town.
4) It will usually start other conversation, giving scum more opportunities to mess up, and/or contradict themselves.

Reasons bandwagons are bad:

1) There is a slight possibility of there being a mislynch, if the wagon gets out of control. Even if this happens, you still get good information since
-A) You can question the much later arrivals to the wagon for reasons to their vote, and especially hammering, and possibly find scum in this manner,
-B) You still have the info from the wagon that you would've had even if the mislynch hadnt occured. You still have a crapload of info.

And again, a bandwagon going awry is very unlikely, since most of the protown players will be keeping it in check. Also, if this supposed "slow lynch" occurs, so what? If there are good cases involved, I would support the lynch. If there weren't any good cases, I would pull off when I thought a mislynch was imminent, just as with any other bandwagon.
Nelly632
Nelly632
Goon
Nelly632
Goon
Goon

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Post by Nelly632 »

Nelly wrote:
Post 133 is me being a prick to see some reactions, in my mind the people who get really upset are less scummy then the people who take it in stride… Karma Dog once again questions me instead of voting for me, this is a great sign in my eyes… He has more then enough reasons to vote for me now he could simply say…

“I ask and I ask you simple questions but you refuse to answer so now you leave me no choice but to vote for you Nelly”

But instead he stay patient and gives me some chances to get myself out of hot water, very pro-town move…

In other words, you said calm people are more scummy, but ckd (who reacted calmly) is not.

You later said:

Nelly wrote:
In my opinion I had already cleared CKD in my mind as being scum so I was not looking for a reaction from him... Being a jerk was a attempt to get a read from people not CKD because I once again felt I had a good enough read on him... I will give you a example of what I was loking for...

A calm person:
"It looks like someone is taking this game a little bit to serious, tossing insults is not going to take the heat off of you"

A not calm person:
"It is funny how someone can contribute nothing to this game, come out here vote for themselves and then call the rest of us foolish. You need to stop being a noob and get replaced instead of being a jerk."

What exactly had ckd done prior to this reaction to clear himself in your eyes?

Also...interesting turn of phrase there: ...cleared CKD in my mind as being scum...

Not just 'cleared' or 'cleared of' or even 'as not scum', but "cleared...as being scum".

unvote
I thought I was clear in my post about why I believed CDK to be Townie in my mind... I made numerous points as too why I believed CDK to be Townie and personally I dont feel like restating them or quoting them... You can reread my post to see... My comment about being a prick was to get a read on people (NOT CDK) I felt I had a good read on him at this point and his reaction would not void my thoughts on his previous posts... But the reaction of other people toward me being a prick would give me alot of information and I stand by my calm comment...

I think your reaching for anything when you comment about how I word my comments....

I THINK CDK IS TOWN! I hope this is a better way of putting ity for you...

Volkan Wrote:
Pardon? The Oman trap suggests Para is scum as much as it does Elias. Why did my argument sway you?
Oman voted a random vote in the beginning for OJ (Paradox) then changed it to Ninja and then once again changed it back to OJ (Pardox)... He placed a 4th vote on Paradox and then jumped at your suggestion that we lynch Paradox and VIG Pulse... So now with us knowing that Oman was Scum it wouldnt make sense for him to be so careless with Paradoxombie if they were scum buddies... So I have to believe that both Paradoxombie and Pulse are both Townie. At this point the list of people who voted for me are...

Gorckat
Oman
Paradoxombie
Elias
Nelly632

Lets see... Nelly632 is Town... Oman is dead and proven Scum... So odds are we might be able to find a scum bag on my bandwagon...

Paradoxombie was voted and never defended by Oman and since Oman is scum we assume Paradoxombie is NOT...

Gorckat & Elias...

Gorckat jumps on me before a wagon even exsist and has legitament comments and questions...

Elias votes for me after I have TWO saying he is placing pressure on me and avoiding being looked at as scum...

With these thoughts and your comments I believe my vote for him is placed wisely...
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by vollkan »

Elias wrote: 1) Yes, it had the effect of pressuring. But as you have admitted, it was not intended to pressure, it was intended to lynch.
No. What I meant is that the intention was to get OJ posting. If OJ didn't post Hermit claims he wanted a lynch. You don't seem to think his backtracking post is valid (admittedly, if Hermit is scum, I don't think it is valid)
You're accusing me of having a contradiction in terms of the reasoning behind my vote, not what the overall effect was. Therefore, it shouldnt at all matter what happened as an inadvertant effect.
Yes. The contradiction is that you suspect someone for voting someone on the basis of noncontribution, but then select a person from your alleged "top two" suspicions on the basis of noncontribution. Even though it is not your sole basis, it is contradictory.

2) What are you talking about? A player could be sure that someone is scum, and vote them, with complete intentions of lynching them. Even though this hypothetical vote is intended purely for lynching, it still puts pressure on the recipient. So how does the fact that the vote caused pressure possibly imply that the vote would be taken off?
I was making specific reference to Hermit's though. He wasn't voting for scumminess, he was voting for non-contribution. As such, what I meant was that it is likely Hermit would unvote if OJ began to contribute. Despite Hermit's "lynch" rhetoric, the vote was purely on the basis of non-contribution. If OJ contributed, I imagine it would have come off.

3) Again, I don't see how What I did was the same. I used the fact that hermit was contributing more as a way of choosing which of two suspicious players I would vote. He used it as a sole rationale for lynching a player.
It was still the deciding factor. If you chose Nelly on that basis, as you did, you undermined the reason for suspecting Hermit.
The bandwagon issue has degenerated into a meta debate on our opinions. I don't think it maintains any relevance really. Admittedly, it is entirely my fault because I said a pressure wagon could become dangerous.
TheHermit
TheHermit
Goon
TheHermit
Goon
Goon

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:53 pm

Post by TheHermit »

Okay, there's a lot here for me to digest. MAN, you guys post novels. After sleeping on it I'm not as confident about my vote; I'll need to read through the latest developments in the thread. If my opinion remains the same I'll put the vote back on, but I don't want the day ending before I've finished catching up.

Unvote
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:59 pm

Post by vollkan »

TheHermit wrote: Okay, there's a lot here for me to digest. MAN, you guys post novels. After sleeping on it I'm not as confident about my vote; I'll need to read through the latest developments in the thread. If my opinion remains the same I'll put the vote back on, but I don't want the day ending before I've finished catching up.

Unvote
Backtracking again perhaps?

You never answered my question as to why you voted in the first place:
Vollkan wrote:
Hermit wrote: I don't like the way Elias is trying to misrepresent me. It's good that the town's not buying it (as I clarified my position seconds after voting oj), but I get the feeling he thinks if he repeats an argument often enough people will believe it. I find the points against him logically sound given the information we have.

Vote: Elias_the_thief
Explain how I have refuted Elias.
The Deepfried Ninja
The Deepfried Ninja
Townie
The Deepfried Ninja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:20 am

Post by The Deepfried Ninja »

soory i have not posted been real busy, i will have read and posted by sunday night, sorry
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:44 am

1) Ok, here's the thing. I did not use the noncontribution as a way of determining who was more scummy. The noncontribution was the sole reason Hermit wanted Nelly gone, and his sole basis for any suspicion he had on Nelly. Now, if I had said, I found them both scummy, but the noncontribution of Nelly made her more worthy of a lynch, or more suspicious, then I would be guilty of a contradiction. However, I did not think the noncontribution made Nelly more worthy of a lynch, or more suspicious in any way. I simply said that her noncontribution made her a better place to vote, not based on additional scumminess, but based on the fact that voting for a noncontributor over a contributor would help the town more (getting the noncontributor to have more pressure, and begin talking). This is why it is not a contradiciton. I simply said that Nelly's noncontribution made my vote on her more useful to the town than a vote on hermit.

2) This maybe so. However, much like the bandwagon point, this is degenerating simply into opinion on a matter that neither of us can determine, since neither of us actually are Hermit. Neither of us know what he was actually doing. Perhaps you are even right, but at the time of my decision, that's not how I read Hermits play. Again, this is all opinion.

3) I covered this up there. I did not think that Nelly was any scummier then hermit based on noncontribution, I thought that a vote for her would better help the town by forcing her to contribute. So this really doesnt undermine my reasons at all.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:26 am

Post by vollkan »

Elias wrote: 1) Ok, here's the thing. I did not use the noncontribution as a way of determining who was more scummy. The noncontribution was the sole reason Hermit wanted Nelly gone, and his sole basis for any suspicion he had on Nelly. Now, if I had said, I found them both scummy, but the noncontribution of Nelly made her more worthy of a lynch, or more suspicious, then I would be guilty of a contradiction. However, I did not think the noncontribution made Nelly more worthy of a lynch, or more suspicious in any way. I simply said that her noncontribution made her a better place to vote, not based on additional scumminess, but based on the fact that voting for a noncontributor over a contributor would help the town more (getting the noncontributor to have more pressure, and begin talking). This is why it is not a contradiciton. I simply said that Nelly's noncontribution made my vote on her more useful to the town than a vote on hermit.
I had a feeling we would reach this point.

Going back to your reasons for voting:

1)"Noncontribution" was the factor which determined who you voted for, not who you found more scummy, right?
2) You believe a bigger wagon is more protown because more pressure
3) You believe it is pro-town to join an existing wagon

1)In which case, what about Nelly made you think he was scummy if not his lack of contribution?

In your vote, the rationale was "weird" play. The only thing weird about his play was that he was a noncontributor who had voted himself. The former of these would make you a hypocrite and the latter is not actually scummy. Do not backtrack and say that the vote was purely for pressure because your exact words were:
Elias wrote: Anyways, im suspisious of Hermit and Nelly. Both playing wierdly. For now, the vote is for nelly.
What made you suspicious of Nelly?

2) & 3) Early on I accused you of going with the majority and you rightly pointed out you were only the second person on Nelly's wagon. In which case, both 2 and 3 really mean nothing for you. If you had voted Hermit, that would really mean one vote each. Both would have an equal amount of pressure.

In other words, the matter rightly turns on 1). 2) and 3) support neither your case or mine. You raised them as justification and they basically turn out to just be irrelevant.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”