Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #6350 (ISO) » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 6349, hasdgfas wrote:I'm traveling down to Chicago for the SCG Open this week. It's my fourth ever Competitive event after a PTQ, a PPTQ, and a GPT. Looking forward to it.

Good luck!
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6351 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:11 am

Post by hasdgfas »

The old 2-0 -> 0-3. Had a ton of fun. Drafts all day now
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6352 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Boom, won my PPTQ today, got to decide if I'm going to Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, or flying out to San Jose.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6353 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:48 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 6352, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Boom, won my PPTQ today, got to decide if I'm going to Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, or flying out to San Jose.

Congrats!!
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6354 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 6346, PeregrineV wrote:Really great pre-release weekend. More details as I get to typing them up.

Friday I ended up with Green-White on a White box.Went 2-2, but everyone was fun to play with so even when I lost, it was fun games. Probably would have won another, but we misplayed Managorger Hydra.

Also pulled a Nissa, so that also helped make it a great day/night.

Sunday I picked a Red box, and ended up going Red-Blue. I had some Thopter synergy (I thought), but
only works if you already control an artifact.
So I sideboarded it out, and went 4-0-1 (the last guy and I split the prize- I got 14 packs instead of 16 or 12).

Also, they have a drawing for a free box of Orgins, and I won that Sunday. So that made Sunday even better.

Trying to work a Blue-Red Standard Deck, but not sure it would be fast enough for the format.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6355 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:57 am

Post by PeregrineV »

Oh, and a Friday sealed I drew crap, and draft I pulled crap. Ended up going mono-green, just to use the ridiculous land draw I had.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6356 (ISO) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Post by Natirasha »

I didn't think it was possible, but WotC actually made standard fun again after Dragon of Oh God This is So Fucking Boring!

I'm playing Sultai Thopter Spy Network control. It actually has so much game and I can't wait for the pros to dash my hopes at the PT.

Mana is a little shakey(since it's a 3 color deck with 4 colorless lands), but I'm splashing for two copies of Sultai Charm (beats Gaea's Revenge) and a Conclave Naturalist out of the board.

Hangarback Walker is amazing and is my big speculation target for the PT (it's seriously nutso). TSN is cool and will be awesome as long as Darksteel Citadel is in the format. It's literally Bitterblossom that also draws you cards. Tomb of the Spirit Dragon is a good card and definitely a land worth boarding in against aggressive decks. I'm running one Jace in the board as my other Origins card (and a Languish bleh), and he's been decent but not amazing.

But, seriously, fuck Gaea's Revenge and especially fuck you dude on Cockatrice who boarded in 2 Terra Stompers, 4 Revenges and 1 Mistcutter Hydra. What is even your problem?
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6357 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:47 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 6356, Natirasha wrote:I didn't think it was possible, but WotC actually made standard fun again after Dragon of Oh God This is So Fucking Boring!

I'm playing Sultai Thopter Spy Network control. It actually has so much game and I can't wait for the pros to dash my hopes at the PT.

Mana is a little shakey(since it's a 3 color deck with 4 colorless lands), but I'm splashing for two copies of Sultai Charm (beats Gaea's Revenge) and a Conclave Naturalist out of the board.

Hangarback Walker is amazing and is my big speculation target for the PT (it's seriously nutso). TSN is cool and will be awesome as long as Darksteel Citadel is in the format. It's literally Bitterblossom that also draws you cards. Tomb of the Spirit Dragon is a good card and definitely a land worth boarding in against aggressive decks. I'm running one Jace in the board as my other Origins card (and a Languish bleh), and he's been decent but not amazing.

But, seriously, fuck Gaea's Revenge and especially fuck you dude on Cockatrice who boarded in 2 Terra Stompers, 4 Revenges and 1 Mistcutter Hydra. What is even your problem?

I like Mistcutter. It knocks the crap out of that guy who plays blue/black and does nothing but draw cards, counter my spells, and swing in with that retarded 3/7 dragon. (No offense to mentally disabled dragons).
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6358 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 am

Post by PeregrineV »

Also, might try playing that. I used tomb in my Myr deck and it stopped the burn in modern- should be great here too.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #6359 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:29 am

Post by Espeonage »

I actually am thinking that now might be the time to get in and start playing a rogue deck.

At the moment I'm thinking something along the lines of Sultai Reanimator Hexproof.

The bombs are real stuff, green is always able to be rampy. And I get to basically play very aggressive with self mill and get some serious value. Morph fixes my curve quite nicely to get me to my later stages, being able to chump with morphed fatties and not lose value is really good. Still fleshing out a list but I think it could be a fun rogue to take to the local store.
Don't @ me.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6360 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:56 am

Post by Micc »

Ive been playing casually with some friends to learn the game, and enjoying it enough to start buying cards. We did our own little booster draft the other night and I ended building a red white deck. To my surprise, I actually did pretty well going 4-2. So this leads to the question...whats the best way to go about buying cards for casual play?

Right now Im leaning towards just buying some bulk commons/uncommons from recentish sets to get started, but I haven't visited my local game shop yet to see how viable/costly that is quite yet. From there id probably focus on local sealed formats and leave constructed to people who know what they are doing.

Is that viable? Any other things I should know?
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6361 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:03 am

Post by Espeonage »

If you want bulk stuff ebay is ok. I would actually suggest that it is best to play draft events to start out.

You don't have to play to win and can just pick cards in the colours you want to play outside of draft. It's a good way to build up cards without splitting across all five colours. Plus you get to play in a fun event at the same time.
Don't @ me.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6362 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 6361, Espeonage wrote:If you want bulk stuff ebay is ok. I would actually suggest that it is best to play draft events to start out.

You don't have to play to win and can just pick cards in the colours you want to play outside of draft. It's a good way to build up cards without splitting across all five colours. Plus you get to play in a fun event at the same time.

This right here. Any sealed event will get you cards. If you cruise Gatherer like I do, then you can buy the cards you like off Ebay or other online stores.
Also, I like to buy a least a fat pack for a set, since you get packs plus a box to put them in. If you're really new, the lands come in handy too.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #6363 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:00 am

Post by Oman »

Well I'm into this again. Playing a white/green deck and having a BLAST! Getting into a draft with 4 or 5 friends as well :D
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6364 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 am

Post by TheWayItEnds »

In post 6360, Micc wrote:Ive been playing casually with some friends to learn the game, and enjoying it enough to start buying cards. We did our own little booster draft the other night and I ended building a red white deck. To my surprise, I actually did pretty well going 4-2. So this leads to the question...whats the best way to go about buying cards for casual play?

Right now Im leaning towards just buying some bulk commons/uncommons from recentish sets to get started, but I haven't visited my local game shop yet to see how viable/costly that is quite yet. From there id probably focus on local sealed formats and leave constructed to people who know what they are doing.

Is that viable? Any other things I should know?

At my shop a bunch of the players just throw away commons and uncommons after draft, or give them away to new players. That might be an easy way to get some cards from the current sets.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6365 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:18 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I decided to buy into Standard with a somewhat budget B/G Elves deck. Got most of the cards I needed to arrive yesterday, still waiting on about 10 more.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6366 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:32 am

Post by Espeonage »

If I was playing I'd be playing some sort of stupid Sultai self mill fatties deck.
Don't @ me.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #6367 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:42 am

Post by Oman »

How does mtg online work?
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6368 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:11 am

Post by Natirasha »

Misery, bison bucks and occasionally a good game of Magic.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6369 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:06 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Found this list online, and it's both affordable and fun!

Using this as my Standard deck on MTGO now (and using BG Elves for Paper Standard)
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6370 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:50 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

Was at game day at my lgs today. We had a practice standard event yesterday, and after sultai assault formation went 1-2 beating only the control deck with no removal and 20 land in the 0/2 bracket, I switched it up to sultai dragons.

Went 2-2 beating a untuned b/r aggro I think? (which went 0/4) and b/g elsv. Lost to Sultai self-mill fatties (screw risen executioner and deathmist raptor, seriously) and mono red burn. Ended up 9th out of the 16 there D:

I think the deck is alright, I just had a ton of bad cards and missing some good cards (not enough dragons for the amount of dragons matters cards I had, and no bile blight), and not a lot of experience on it (sideboarded horribly against sultai self-mill fatties by taking out tons of removal).
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6371 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:43 pm

Post by chamber »

Anyone doing gp detroit?
Taking a break from the site.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6372 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:59 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 6371, chamber wrote:Anyone doing gp detroit?

I'll be there with my team; feel free to come by and say hi, though I'm probably more likely to see you and your beard (assuming it still exists) than you are to see me.

Edit: armlx will be there as well but that's not exactly a surprise.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6373 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Well,
that
was unexpected, but I'm not surprised.

I didn't think it possible, but Origins made Standard fun again!
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6374 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:07 am

Post by PeregrineV »

Great Game Day.

They tied it to thier free Sunday standard event, and I went 3-1-1 with my Azban whip deck, only losing to Silumgar control (and I won't say he slow-played, but c'mon, we went 1-0-1). Got 7th and then lost to 2nd (RDW) in the top8 swiss thing.

Played against black-white warriors. Citadel siege was a pain, because it really sped up my need for answers.

Played against Red-blue. But he was fairly new, so it was more fun socializing.

Played against traditional Abzan. That was the 1-1-1 tie.

Played against another fairly new guy, but he had a decent red Goblin deck.

Also played Force of Will with the red/white duel decks a friend of mine bought.

All in all, a good Sunday.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.

Return to “The Arcade”