[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Bulbazoor
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8250 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Post by Bulbazoor »

1 uninnocent gf
2 mafia goons
1 cop
1 tracker
1 jester
4 vt
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8251 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

The problem with one jester is that the game can end d1
Bulbazoor
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8252 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Post by Bulbazoor »

Just kill him off lol
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #8253 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:21 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 8251, Flubbernugget wrote:The problem with one jester is that the game can end d1

Jesters don't always end game. I think it's the mime that ends games.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8254 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:57 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I explicitly stated as part of the setup that game ends if both jesters die. If the game doesn't end then a jester jus has to claim and then you essentially have a night start game with extra "that's bullshit mechanics" tacked on
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #8255 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:14 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Maybe you should give something that the jester does extra so they have more of a point. Like in town of Salem, once a jester is lynched, they can kill one of the people at night who killed them. Or you can do something else to make it harder for the jester and give them more of a point.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8256 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:23 am

Post by quadz08 »

(jester is almost always a bad role regardless of whether or not it ends the game)
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8257 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:07 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Jester is a great cure for communities that policy lynch too much (as opposed to here on mafiascum.net, which doesn't policy lynch enough), and the players should be aware it exists. Apart from that, it's not a very good role.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #8258 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Post by wgeurts »

@Flubber, Isn't a group faction that wins when they are all lynched called mimes?
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #8259 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:41 am

Post by Annadog40 »

^ Yes
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8260 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:55 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Checked the wiki and yes I have mimes with their night action changed
Bulbazoor
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8261 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:20 am

Post by Bulbazoor »

Tweak:
4 vt
1 uninnocent gf
2 maf goons
1 cop
1 tracker
1 jester that roleblocks whoever they visit at night.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8262 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 am

Post by PokerFace »

The Cul-de-sac

should I run that with: 9 town and 2 scum or 11 town and 2 scum. Does more players help the balance or increase the tedium?

should I allow day talk, I lean toward YES heavily

should I make house collapsible or neighborhood collapsible. I lean toward house as it gives scum motivation to kill certain players in efforts to ruin certain pairingings

thoughts?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8263 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:45 am

Post by PokerFace »

When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #8264 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:56 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

gun shop

3 Mafia Goons
14 Town Compulsive Visitors

-On the first Day, all townies send in a ranking of all players. If a townie doesn't send in an action later on, their visit will default to the top living player on their list.
-Instead of performing a night kill, scum can arm a townie for a night.
-Townies visiting an armed player will both arm themselves for that night and die. This means that everyone chained to scum's target will die (this only includes the target if a chain goes full circle).
-Even nights are skipped, resulting in a day/night/day/day/night cycle.

Play advice for town

Don't massclaim your future targets. This will result in at least two deaths every night. The safest base strategy I can think of is to target your less fashionable scum reads, although no fixed public strategy is bound to work.

Be transparent about your reads. The increased lynch accuracy and scum/town-visiting rate that results from transparency
does
outweigh the danger of having a multi-kill because scum outguessed the town's targets.

Keeping a personal pet scum so you can target them at night is comparable to playing like shit in a normal game so you won't be nightkilled. Just get your suspects lynched you waterfowl.

Play advice for scum

Never give up before being lynched. If you completely fuck up and the town decides to keep you around, you'll essentially turn the game nightless.
Last edited by Bicephalous Bob on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:17 am, edited 7 times in total.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8265 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Post by Crazy »

If we're talking about Jesters, I'll point to my old setup here that has been run a couple times. I'm not around at all anymore, but I don't know of any other Jester setup that has been able to function at all.
Bulbazoor
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8266 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:08 am

Post by Bulbazoor »

In post 8265, Crazy wrote:If we're talking about Jesters, I'll point to my old setup here that has been run a couple times. I'm not around at all anymore, but I don't know of any other Jester setup that has been able to function at all.

Can you post feedback for mine?
Salamence20
Salamence20
Survivor
Salamence20
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8267 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Post by Salamence20 »

The 4 Salas

3 town Salas
7 town compulsive fruit vendors

1 mafia sala
2 mafia compulsive fruit vendors

So a Sala is short for Salamence. During the night, he may choose to commute (fly) for the night, which works like a commute. However, the people who targeted the flying sala die when he lands (after the lynch the next day). This is one shot.

The mafia sala, however loves to fly! He is a compulsive visitor who must visit non-mafia every day.

So its a commuting pgo. Bloodbath ensured.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #8268 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:54 am

Post by Ether »

These are both from 2008, but I ran them for this marathon and wanted to draw attention to them. (The Eclipse is Norinel's, not mine.)

The Odds
(10 players)
2 mafia
vs.

7 vanilla townies
1 doctor

Normally that would give each player a 20% chance of being scum, but in The Odds, different people have different chances ranging from 5% to 35%, and their chances are on public display on the front page. (If who gets what percentage is decided nonrandomly, I don't think that detracts from the game at all. Some people like a certain alignment more, or like the danger of having higher odds, and will find the game more fun if they have a say in it.) The doctor is weighted the same way, so a player with a higher percentage is much more likely to be scum or the doctor.
Ether wrote:To figure out the scum, I'll roll two numbers between 1 and 40. Each percentage corresponds to different numbers:
  • 5% - 1
    10% - 2-3
    15% - 4-6
    15% - 7-9
    20% - 10-13
    20% - 14-17
    25% - 18-22
    25% - 23-27
    30% - 28-33
    35% - 34-40
(Note that even the player most likely to be scum still has about 2 out of 3 odds of being town.)

I sort of want to rename it to something that's easier to search for.

The Eclipse
(8 players)
1 Demon King
vs.

6 vanilla townies
1 hunter

The Demon King is a cult leader, as well as a king in the AitP "its side loses if it dies" sense. It recruits a thrall every night, including pregame. Thralls know who the Demon King is, but don't know who else has been recruited, and can't communicate in private.

The hunter, who becomes an assassin analogue later, has a single bullet it can use at any time, including as a vengekill. It can't be recruited, but dies if the Demon King tries. In that case another townie becomes the hunter, as long as there are other townies and it hasn't shot yet. The hunter has to take a vengekill if it's killed/lynched as the last townie in the game, but otherwise it'll pass its bullet on as long as there's still a bullet to pass.

In practice, if only townies are lynched, the cult will take the majority on Day 3, and probably speedlynch someone AitP-style. The hunter will be forced to take its shot on Night 3 in that case; otherwise it'll probably have until Night 4, when the Demon King can hit it through process of elimination. That's assuming that the Demon King isn't stopped earlier, while the town is still in control.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
shos
shos
Survivor
shos
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8269 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 am

Post by shos »

Inspired by my own 11PM setup, whose goal was go make a balanced 11p multiball, I tried to redice that number even further. Came up with this:

9p setup

1 Cult A Leader & Poisoner

1 Cult B Leader & Poisoner

N unrecruitable townies
M poisonproof townies
7-M-N vanilla townies

Cult leaders may only recruit once, and cannot recruit each other. They can also only poison once.They cannot recruit and poison at the same night. A poisoned person will die at the end of the following day.

Trying to figure out best numbers for M and N for balance purposes, and I also considered giving the culters weak modifiers.
In post 836, Lucky2u said:

Rule # 5h05: players should not attempt to use or manipulate the mod for any purpose.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #8270 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:01 am

Post by Annadog40 »

^Since the weak is mainly used for mafia targets, maybe you can make them hated instead?
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8271 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:42 am

Post by TierShift »

In post 8269, shos wrote:Inspired by my own 11PM setup, whose goal was go make a balanced 11p multiball, I tried to redice that number even further. Came up with this:

9p setup

N unrecruitable townies
M poisonproof townies
7-M-N vanilla townies

Cult leaders may only recruit once, and cannot recruit each other. They can also only poison once.They cannot recruit and poison at the same night. A poisoned person will die at the end of the following day.

Trying to figure out best numbers for M and N for balance purposes, and I also considered giving the culters weak modifiers.

this is immensely scumsided. If a townie gets lynched day 1 and both cults succesfully recruit, town has no hopes of winning. If one recruits, there are 3 scum in an 8p game. Still incredibly ahrd to win for town.
Another problem is that town doesn't know how many scum are alive.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #8272 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:03 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

I want to propose a setup from the old days that I loved. Back in 2009, we played Paris Mafia:
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... aris+mafia

The old setup was:
5 VT
2 mafia goons
2 mimes (Jester team. Wins when both are lynched. Own a joint RB at night)
1 town watcher
1 town vig

The reason it was scrapped, if I'm not mistaken, was that it was scum sided and near impossible for mimes to win. It never got any attention, but postgame I suggested the following:
7 VT
2 mafia goons
2 mimes
1 town watcher
1 town vig

The town has an extra day to try catching the scum and the mimes have an extra day to try to get lynched. The extra day balances any concerns that scum may have too much of an advantage with the mime distraction or whatever else. I've always loved games with jesters and those who disagree can simply avoid this game with it being an open setup. The mime aspect just adds to the fun of jester games and it's not impossible. Even in the old setup, I got myself lynched as mime and having an extra day could help the second mime to get lynched as well. At the very least, I think it deserves one run.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #8273 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:10 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

^lol I posted the above before reading this page.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
shos
shos
Survivor
shos
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8274 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:19 am

Post by shos »

In post 8271, TierShift wrote:
In post 8269, shos wrote:Inspired by my own 11PM setup, whose goal was go make a balanced 11p multiball, I tried to redice that number even further. Came up with this:

9p setup

N unrecruitable townies
M poisonproof townies
7-M-N vanilla townies

this is immensely scumsided. If a townie gets lynched day 1 and both cults succesfully recruit, town has no hopes of winning. If one recruits, there are 3 scum in an 8p game. Still incredibly ahrd to win for town.
Another problem is that town doesn't know how many scum are alive.

In post 8270, Annadog40 wrote:^Since the weak is mainly used for mafia targets, maybe you can make them hated instead?

By weak I mean, if cult target cult they die instantly.

And fpr balance, what if I makr the cult poison OR recruit? And nightless after N1 of course.?
In post 836, Lucky2u said:

Rule # 5h05: players should not attempt to use or manipulate the mod for any purpose.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”