Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #4175 (ISO) » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:24 am

Post by PokerFace »

i was looking for right thread. could not find it so i posted here. found right thread later. so i feltt like making a joke becuase i was reading the alt threads earlier today

also becuase i made that post with timetraveler account its easier to find it and the right threads given how few posts i have with that account

tldr: shananigans!
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
kelbris
kelbris
Goon
kelbris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4176 (ISO) » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Post by kelbris »

After my current game is over and I can run another, I was thinking of running a mini-theme game based on the Core Theory Mythos (a part of the Slenderman Mythos), basically Slendy & his proxies would be scum and the bloggers/vloggers in that mythos would be the town. Still need to figure out roles for all the characters though (13 players), if anyone is interested and has ideas please let me know.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #4177 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 4:33 am

Post by Maruchan »

SO in my recent micro bbmolla's Grand Idea Mafia, there was expressed a lot of interest in a larger-scale version with the same premise of a Great/Greater/Greatest/Cracking/Grand Mafia.

Was curious what the actual level of interest would be in running a large scale game of that premise? Is it actually feasible to get 20 players to in for that?

On the same note, is there any interest in assisting in the design/review/modding or any combination of the three said game?

( Grand Idea Mafia: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59348 )
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #4178 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 7:25 am

Post by Narninian »

I like this grand idea mafia idea; I'd say it'd be even grander if a new thread was created and everybody submitted 5 role ideas so its more personalized.
The extra in is for /in
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #4179 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 7:39 am

Post by Narninian »

In fact I want to make this happen; I'll comod with whoever.
Basically a 'Grand idea' and 'Create your own power' Mashup.

We create a new thread; Every player in the game adds 5 posts to the new thread with roles. They can blatantly steal roles from the grand idea thread or just come up with their own. As part of their 5 roles they must include at least one town role, and one anti-town role. If its a 20 player game this means 100 posts, but we can easily scale it to other numbers. I think its more fun if there is a higher chance of getting your own role in there.

At the start of the game we take random roles from there. Its really unlikely to be balanced but we'll at least try to keep the ratios right
The extra in is for /in
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #4180 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 7:57 am

Post by Maruchan »

I'd be down for trying it out. It'll be a bit harder as we'd only have 10 days to plan and design the entire setup, but it could work. I'm be down for going it it with you
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #4181 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 am

Post by McMenno »

In post 4179, Narninian wrote:In fact I want to make this happen; I'll comod with whoever.
Basically a 'Grand idea' and 'Create your own power' Mashup.

We create a new thread; Every player in the game adds 5 posts to the new thread with roles. They can blatantly steal roles from the grand idea thread or just come up with their own. As part of their 5 roles they must include at least one town role, and one anti-town role. If its a 20 player game this means 100 posts, but we can easily scale it to other numbers. I think its more fun if there is a higher chance of getting your own role in there.

At the start of the game we take random roles from there. Its really unlikely to be balanced but we'll at least try to keep the ratios right

I would play this.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4182 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 4:03 am

Post by Venmar »

Assuming I got the motivation to do it, would anybody be interested in a Civ-5 U-Pick with a possibly interesting day mechanic? Would probably be a large theme.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4183 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Venmar: Yes indeed.
Pls no multiball.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4184 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Would any of you cool cats be down for a (almost certainly bastard) Space Dandy Mini-Theme?
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #4185 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 11:41 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Would need to watch Space Dandy first :P but potentially!

Curious if anyone would be down for a Disney Upick?
MaxwellPuckett
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4186 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Post by MaxwellPuckett »

All over the Disney Upick.

As for Space Dandy, I love bastard games but really don't like Space Dandy.
One man's trash talk is another man's treasure talk.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4187 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 10:12 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

How about an Insane Asylum game?
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
shos
shos
Survivor
shos
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4188 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 am

Post by shos »

In post 4187, LicketyQuickety wrote:How about an Insane Asylum game?

been done twice, both were cool games imo (modded one and participated in the other), will join third!
In post 836, Lucky2u said:

Rule # 5h05: players should not attempt to use or manipulate the mod for any purpose.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4189 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 11:41 am

In post 4188, shos wrote:

been done twice, both were cool games imo (modded one and participated in the other), will join third!

I'm planning on the Inmates being mafia/3p and the Town being the staff. The game will go as long as I can get someone to balance it. Some people who know what their doing said my game is out of their experience level to balance. Power madness, swingy, dirty mess.

shos
shos
Survivor
shos
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4190 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Post by shos »

In post 4189, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 4188, shos wrote:

I'm planning on the Inmates being mafia/3p and the Town being the staff. The game will go as long as I can get someone to balance it. Some people who know what their doing said my game is out of their experience level to balance. Power madness, swingy, dirty mess.

count me as a pre-in then! XD
In post 836, Lucky2u said:

Rule # 5h05: players should not attempt to use or manipulate the mod for any purpose.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4191 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 12:40 pm

In post 4190, shos wrote:count me as a pre-in then! XD

It's going to be quite a while before my game even shows up in the Queue, just fyi. I have to play some other games on this site to get a feel for the meta, I have to mod a few games to get an understanding of how that works and then I can start thinking about running my baby.

MaxwellPuckett
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4192 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by MaxwellPuckett »

(why am i doing this i shouldnt even be online)

I think you should reconsider having the inmates being mafia. Historically, it was the staff of insane asylums that were the monsters, not the mentally-ill (and sometimes perfectly sane, at least when first admitted) patients. Horrible conditions, brutality, cruelty, etc. etc. It was a hellhole to be in because of the staff. Of course, that'd be difficult to do flavour-wise, I guess.

The other problem I have with it is it kind of demonizes mentally-ill people, which is NO GOOD. *Sonic thumbs down*
func_door
func_door
Townie
func_door
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4193 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:53 pm

Post by func_door »

having the inmates be town would be great
MaxwellPuckett
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4194 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:55 am

Post by MaxwellPuckett »

Yeah, I'd totally be up for it with town inmates, as I said.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4195 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:33 am

Post by Plotinus »

don’t talk about this like it’s in the past. This stuff is still going on today.

the staff-mafia could have roles like giving another player post restrictions (can give this to a teammate so being postrestricted shouldn’t conftown someone), roleblocking them (putting them in the quiet room), making them hated for a day (staff often play inmates against each other and actively try to prevent them forming alliances with each other). there could be inmate neighbours — either people who are roommates or people who have similar issues who find ways to communicate with each other that the staff don’t recognise as communication.

I have no idea how to translate a lot of things into mafia terms. Like what would losing privacy privileges look like? would that be a mafia ability that gains readonly access to a town neighbourhood? it doesn’t quite capture the humiliation of having to pee with an audience for months or having to sleep at the nurse’s station with bright lights on every night and chattering.

There could also be a hidden and demoralising mechanic where there is a behaviour chart posted with each vote count and the staff (privately submitted at any time) give points or take away points for wifom. townies should get actual prizes if they get enough points. at lynch time whoever has the most points gets a prize; mafia can give themselves prizes this way too and the prizes shouldn’t be too overpowered. townies should be somewhat suspicious of whoever gets the prizes.

If at any point half? a third? of the town writes
Restrain player1 and player2
and the moderator agrees that there has been a 1v1 argument going on between player 1 and player 2, both players will become post restricted that they cannot discuss whatever topic they were discussing for the remainder of the day phase. This gives the town a tool to stop pointless town vs town screaming matches that go on for 10 pages and demoralise everybody but also gives scum a way to interfere with scum hunting. This could also be used to punish fluff posters. The players would not be allowed to mention the topic or allude to it. If the banned topic is another player, they would still be allowed to vote for each other as normal.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
MaxwellPuckett
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4196 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:12 am

Post by MaxwellPuckett »

You're absolutely right, I shouldn't have used past tense. Anyways, I don't agree with mafia inmates.

Plotinus, maybe you should design a game like that, man. Sounds sweet.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4197 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:36 am

Post by Plotinus »

it will probably be a while before I’m eligible to run a theme game: I’m newish to the site, and you have to mod an open game first to show you won’t flake as a mod, which is good. But maybe I will /in to mod in 8 days when I become eligible to do so and then maybe in a few months i’ll mod an open (the queue is longish) and then after that i could mod a small theme game. I’m half tempted now that I’ve started thinking up ideas and mechanics and I could probably ensure that at least the setup part was done tastefully and I’d try to get the players to be tasteful about it too. I’d explain in the ruleset where I considered the line to be and I’d give 3 warnings and then modkill or forcereplace or something (probably forcereplace) — I wouldn’t be draconian about it but I don’t want players deciding to roleplay a r*t*rd for the lulz either.

I also have a really really terrible idea for rubik’s cube mafia where you start with a scrambled cube and players can propose a sequence of up to 8 moves like URU’R’U’F’UF and then everyone votes on the various moves and then mafia is trying to keep the cube scrambled and the town are trying to unscramble it. But like there’s no guarantee that anyone with a town PM in particular would know how to solve a rubik’s cube and it would be hard to tell the difference between “actively trying to keep the cubed scrambled” and “doesn’t know how to solve a rubik’s cube”. Alternatively, people could google rubik’s cube solutions and then get suspicious of people proposing suboptimal moves but players who only had google knowledge wouldn’t be able to distinguish between “not following the easiest to memorise rubik’s algorithm” and “speed solver using a more advanced method” but there could be a lynch mechanic to get rid of poor solvers. If the mafia is lynched before the cube is solved, town still wins.

It’d basically be chess mafia but worse. (someone actually tried chess mafia here, i came across it a while back. that’s where i got this Rubik’s idea)
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4198 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:08 pm

In post 4192, MaxwellPuckett wrote:(why am i doing this i shouldnt even be online)

I think you should reconsider having the inmates being mafia. Historically, it was the staff of insane asylums that were the monsters, not the mentally-ill (and sometimes perfectly sane, at least when first admitted) patients. Horrible conditions, brutality, cruelty, etc. etc. It was a hellhole to be in because of the staff. Of course, that'd be difficult to do flavour-wise, I guess.

The other problem I have with it is it kind of demonizes mentally-ill people, which is NO GOOD. *Sonic thumbs down*

The idea is that the Inmates are the ones who are "in the know" so to speak. I don't have a problem with it and I've been diagnosed with somethings myself.

MaxwellPuckett
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
MaxwellPuckett
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4199 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:37 am

Post by MaxwellPuckett »

Well, I can't force you to change your game. I still don't agree, but I guess as long as the flavour of your theme doesn't have them as 'scum and town' its fine? Just my two cents.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”