Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5825 (ISO) » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Liliana of the Veil
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5826 (ISO) » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:57 pm

Post by Natirasha »

BW Tokens is my tech in Modern right now, I think. Sort of.

Bad vs twin+Bloom Titan, Insane vs Abzan+affinity, Positive vs Burn+Control, ? vs Infect.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5827 (ISO) » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Post by Klazam »

... Lolk
i got it
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5828 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:05 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 5817, Shanba wrote:For the pauper tournament, which banlist? I've never played it in paper but I imagine legal Hymn to Tourach is a big deal for the mono black deck. Although given that Treasure Cruise is still legal in the format, you're likely supposed to just play delver if you really want to win.

If you anticipate a lot of delver, one of the appeals of Stompy is it has a decently favourable delver matchup - but it requires a lot of practice to get it right. Don't play your pump into open mana and risk getting blown out by snap (in game 1), spellstutter is their best card against you, but generally you can play under their permission and threaten to race. Post board resolving a scattershot archer is suuuuper good. The deck also benefits from Treasure Cruise being legal, because although it makes delver stronger in the abstract, it actually involves making it worse against stompy AND as a benefit it pushes mono black out of the meta, which would otherwise prey on the green men.

If you like combo, play esper familiars. It's just a much better deck than Eye Candy, imo. I don't like playing it into a delver meta, but if you're against a lot of slow decks, it is straight up the most resilient deck I have ever played - it's just a pile of divinations, after all. I've won many times after being torn apart by discard, I've won after a mull to 4, it's just really strong. But, you know, get in reps with it.

I've honestly never been a fan of the Tron decks that replaced the Post decks. I don't like falling behind while assembling tron, and I don't think the catchup cards are powerful enough to make up for the slow starts you can get. But sure, whatever.

If you want something off the wall, I have like 30 tier 2 or 3 decklists <.>

Not sure. They said to google it.

Cloudpost
Cranial Plating
Empty the Warrens
Frantic Search
Grapeshot
Invigorate
Temporal Fissure

are all banned, but then it is also assuming MTGO not paper Magic. I'll probably have to get clarification.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5829 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:37 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 5817, Shanba wrote:For the pauper tournament, which banlist? I've never played it in paper but I imagine legal Hymn to Tourach is a big deal for the mono black deck. Although given that Treasure Cruise is still legal in the format, you're likely supposed to just play delver if you really want to win.

If you anticipate a lot of delver, one of the appeals of Stompy is it has a decently favourable delver matchup - but it requires a lot of practice to get it right. Don't play your pump into open mana and risk getting blown out by snap (in game 1), spellstutter is their best card against you, but generally you can play under their permission and threaten to race. Post board resolving a scattershot archer is suuuuper good. The deck also benefits from Treasure Cruise being legal, because although it makes delver stronger in the abstract, it actually involves making it worse against stompy AND as a benefit it pushes mono black out of the meta, which would otherwise prey on the green men.

If you like combo, play esper familiars. It's just a much better deck than Eye Candy, imo. I don't like playing it into a delver meta, but if you're against a lot of slow decks, it is straight up the most resilient deck I have ever played - it's just a pile of divinations, after all. I've won many times after being torn apart by discard, I've won after a mull to 4, it's just really strong. But, you know, get in reps with it.

I've honestly never been a fan of the Tron decks that replaced the Post decks. I don't like falling behind while assembling tron, and I don't think the catchup cards are powerful enough to make up for the slow starts you can get. But sure, whatever.

If you want something off the wall, I have like 30 tier 2 or 3 decklists <.>

Not sure what to anticipate. The shop having it is full of competitive players. With Pauper, $$$-wise, I might have a chance. I want to assume they will play common fast winning decks, then find the one that beats those most often.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5830 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 am

Post by bv310 »

Spoiler:
In post 5823, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Anyways Modern:

Aggro

GW Abzan
Burn (~330)
Infect
Affinity (~540)
~
Bogles (~470)
Merfolk (~340)
BW Tokens
~
Zoo
UR Delver

Combo

Twin
Bloom Titan (~460)
~
Pyromancer's Ascension (~375)
Ascendency Combo
~
Living End (~450)

Combo/Control

Scapeshift

Midrange

Abzan
~
UWR Midrange

Something else entirely

Tron (~585)

Control

Hahahahahaha

Tons of great advice in this post, but I think Twin fits as more Combo-control than straight combo. The deck wins from tempo games as much as it does comboing out.

Personally, if I was trying to get into the format, Zoo is where I'd be looking. Something like this http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/264253#online is a pretty good starting point, especially if you have Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills from Standard.

For me, I'd be looking at something like:

4 Wild Nacatl
3 Loam Lion
4 Kird Ape
4 Voice of Resurgence
3 Qasali Pridemage
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Helix
3 Path to Exile

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
2 Arid Mesa
2 Copperline Gorge
2 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Forest
1 Mountain
1 Plains

Sideboard:

3 Destructive Revelry
2 Stony Silence
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Blood Moon
1 Kor Firewalker
3 Vines of Vastwood
2 Hushwing Gryff
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #5831 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Let's say I want to build a top tier modern deck, but I don't want to spend more than about $20. Am I just priced out?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5832 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:33 am

Post by Knight of Cydonia »

Depends how much you can get per blowjob out the back of your LGS.
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5833 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:51 am

Post by TheWayItEnds »

You can always put soul sisters together for like 100$-150$ depending on the version.

I took 3rd/4th with it at my shops PPTQ last weekend.

Turns out you almost cant lose to abzan.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5834 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 5826, Natirasha wrote:BW Tokens is my tech in Modern right now, I think. Sort of.

Bad vs twin+Bloom Titan, Insane vs Abzan+affinity, Positive vs Burn+Control, ? vs Infect.

Actually you nailed the matchups based on the PT at least. It went 8-2 vs. Abzan Midrange and 2-0 vs. Affinity; 0-4 against Twin; didn't play Amulet combo; and unfortunately went 0-4 against Infect.

In post 5830, bv310 wrote:Personally, if I was trying to get into the format, Zoo is where I'd be looking. Something like this http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/264253#online is a pretty good starting point, especially if you have Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills from Standard.

I mean Zoo is cheap and simple but it's not very good, why would you get in on the eighth or so best aggro deck when there are reasonable budget options that are much better situated.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5835 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Post by Natirasha »

I was actually speaking from personal experience this week. I actually won the only infect match I played, but it was close and I could see it being worse.

I actually picked up the deck sort of from the PT. I'm more or less a Stanislav Cifka fangirl(I think he's the strongest active player in the game right now) and the one match on camera looked seriously powerful against Abzan.

Like, Intangible Virtue, new Sorin and Zealous Persecution all look seriously amazing in the meta right now.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5836 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I'm running this for Gameday. Anyone else planning to go do a Gameday? What are you playing?
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5837 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Jund Whip, because OG wedges best wedges.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5838 (ISO) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:55 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 5836, hasdgfas wrote:I'm running this for Gameday. Anyone else planning to go do a Gameday? What are you playing?

Glad you asked, because I'm actually playing a cool deck.

Spoiler: Sultai 'My Rare Binder'
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Hero's Downfall
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Murderous Cut
3 Thoughtseize
1 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4 Opulent Palace
4 Polluted Delta
2 Crux of Fate
4 Temple of Malady
1 Temple of Deceit
2 Temple of Mystery
2 Yavimaya Coast
2 Llanowar Wastes
3 Island
2 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Bile Blight
3 Sultai Charm
1 Torrent Elemental
1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
3 Dig Through Time
SB: 1 Garruk, Apex Predator
SB: 3 Negate
SB: 1 Palace Siege
SB: 1 Silence the Believers
SB: 1 Torrent Elemental
SB: 1 Hero's Downfall
SB: 2 Drown in Sorrow
SB: 1 Bile Blight
SB: 1 AEtherspouts
SB: 1 Crux of Fate
SB: 1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
SB: 1 Kiora, the Crashing Wave

I started this season wanting to play UB control, but I didn't like how binary it was--It either ran hot or ran super cold every game. Perilous Vault is a terrible Magic card, you had no strong, consistent lifegain. It just didn't play well vs anything on the field except Abzan and even that...blegh.

So, thankfully, G Fab played that Sultai control list and I tried that out. It was definitely better, but I didn't like a lot of the card choices he played, found I was stalling on mana way too much(since it wanted to hit seven/eight to win the game), and it stilled had the lifegain problem(resorting to even playing cards like Feed the Clan post board...).

So I put Courser of Kruphix in. Of course, I understand why G Fab built the deck the way he did--he wanted to turn off as much removal as possible in g1--but I honestly didn't like that strategy. Tasigur and Courser have done a lot to help me find more success with the deck, because they actually do a good job of blanking threats as well. I don't lose to the red decks drawing out all their burn spells as I slowly + with ashiok or something nearly as much now, I'm finding, and Courser just in general makes the deck way more smooth.

The other creatures came after testing(I've been on this deck since FRF came out)--Silumgar, I found, I always wanted every matchup. He's much better here than in the control shells, his huge butt is disgustingly unkillable and essentially guarantees you'll win the game in most matchups. Torrent Elemental was because I wanted another proactive win condition, and he actually pushes through damage on your 2/4s and 1/1s. The problem with running Wayfinder with a bunch of 1-of threats is sometimes you end up dumping those threats in the yard. I tried playing some weird things to fix this--at one point, even running Pharika's Mender--but it just didn't work out. With the amount of Delve, Torrent Elemental just works though(not to mention he simply makes UB look real silly as they Vault him away). I honestly think I want two of them over the Kiora main, but I go back and forth. The fact he matches up well vs Stormbreath on defense is also important. This card is four dollars right now and criminally underplayed.

Sultai Charm is the best charm in standard right now. Abzan is the more powerful, but the ability to kill most creatures and naturalize is huge at the moment. Whether you're blowing up Frontier Siege, Jeskai Ascendancy, Whip of Erebos or the Perilous Vault, no one really expects it and it's huge. Love the card.

So, why play this over Abzan? It's the combination of card draw(one thing I didn't touch on was Dig vs Cruise--tried both, it doesn't matter which you play), Ashiok(yes, some games you just t3 ashiok and win) and Sultai Charm, mostly. Wayfinder is a way better creature than Caryatid(if they are even running that). It's sad missing out on Rhino, but I can't say I've missed the other white components of the deck.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5839 (ISO) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:10 am

Post by bv310 »

The Gerard Fabiano special of "Sultai cards I own" seems fairly well set against the WR Aggro list that seems to be everywhere.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5840 (ISO) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:14 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

Had a temur morph deck, decided it was utter crap, so threw together this deck in like 5 minutes with the cards I had.

Spoiler: Temur Control?
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
2 Whisperer of the Wilds
2 Frost Walker
1 Savage Knuckleblade
1 Yasova Dragonclaw
1 Flamewake Phoenix
1 Temur Sabertooth
4 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Surrak Dragonclaw
1 Whisperwood Elemental
3 Sagu Mauler
1 Craters Claws
3 Stubborn Denial
2 Negate
3 Lightning Strike
1 Arc Lightning
2 Temur Charm
1 Interpret the Signs
1 Dig Through Time
1 Thornwood Falls
1 Temple of Mystery
3 Temple of Abandon
4 Frontier Bivouac
3 Yavimaya Coast
3 Island
5 Mountain
4 Forest

Sideboard:
4 Wild Slash
2 Magma Spray
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Disdainful Stroke
2 Temur Charm
1 Burn Away
1 Supplant Form

Went 3-1, against like jeskai tokens, r/w aggro, mono-red aggro (lose) and GFab Control.

The supplant form, frost walkers and sabertooth were all kinda crap. I also couldn't work out when I'd want to bring in temur charms from sideboard - maybe against abzan? I'd probably want to put in more knuckleblades and replace the frost walkers with heir of the wilds. Also another arc lightning/anger of the gods in SB.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5841 (ISO) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Due to snowstorms, only four people showed up.

Won vs Temur Ascendancy and Mardu
Lost vs Mono R Heroic
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5842 (ISO) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:19 pm

lost in the finals of 32-man Game Day to my best bud who was on the R/W aggro plan having seen what I was running. Turns out even having 2 Crux of Fate and 2 Anger of the Gods in the 75, along with 4 Thoughtseize and another 6 removal spells, just isn't enough. In my defence, I was basically playing Jund Midrange with a few cute one-ofs and Kolaghan instead of Stormbreath since I traded my playset off for some shocklands.

Highlight of the day - breaking a board-state full of opponent's fat things on the ground vs. a Hornet Queen + tokens on my side, by activating Whip for the one-of Atarka, dashing out Kolaghan and swinging with both for precisely lethal.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5843 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Went 3-0-1 with the deck I posted above at a 29-player Game Day. Got into T8 as second seed. Lost in the semifinals to RW aggro, after mana screw then mana flood. A good learning experience with the deck, I have a better feel of how it should play.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5844 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Post by bv310 »

I'm a new convert to WU Heroic, so that's what I'd be running if I was within 500 miles of an LGS
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5845 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:42 am

Post by PeregrineV »

I played my budget Azban Whip deck. Went 1-1-2.

One guy had nothing but UB counters + Tasigur + Silumgar. Needless to say, lost to him.

Beat another guy that had Azban regular, tied the other Azban deck and tied the RG aggro deck
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5846 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Post by Natirasha »

bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5847 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Post by bv310 »

PVDDR isn't new to this. He's been a vocal critic of Modern since basically PT Philadelphia.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #5848 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like the idea of modern, but it's certainly shown itself to be problematic. Maybe if it had more cards like FoW to help keep things in line.

I don't think just abandoning the format for extended is the solution, though. Not least because it won't happen.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5849 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Modern would be pretty cool if Disrupting Shoal was a playable magic card.

Return to “The Arcade”