The Newbie Matrix6 stats thread (complete)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Post by goodmorning »

Well, TBF I think the original spirit was meant as "7v1 at the start of a Day" which has definitely happened in Newbies given the Town 7.4% perfect winrate.
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:53 am

Post by Toomai »

I kinda missed what exactly was proposed here. So you'd like to see stats like "When the game reaches 5:2, town mislynches X% of the time"? Or "When the game reaches 5:2, town's win rate is Y%"? Or something else?

I mean, the idea seems doable (if not as trivial as some of the other stats), but I'd like something a bit more concrete.
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

The first one, but also: "When the game reaches x:y, what is the scum lynch rate divided by y/(x+y)"?

y/(x+y) being the chance of hitting scum in a random lynch.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 am

Post by Toomai »

Okay so kind of an extrapolation of the Day 1 lynch accuracy stats. That should be doable.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 am

Post by Toomai »

Took a bit longer than expected but I have the stats. I plan to do justice to them in an update later today or tomorrow, but here's some things that jumped out at me:
  • Half of all no-lynches occur in 4:2.
  • Town is far better than random in 6:1, scoring a scum lynch rate of 43.8% (expected 14.3%). 7:1 is similar (46.2% instead of 12.5%) but has only 13 samples so far.
  • Scum gets lynched in 33.8% of 3:2 LyLos (expected 40%) and 56.1% of 2:1 LyLos (expected 1/3).
  • 3:2 is the only ratio where town does worse than random in "don't lynch town". But it's also the ratio where random has the best chance of succeding, so that's not saying much.
Note that, due to the way in which I store the stats, if a game has a no-lynch followed by a no-kill (two chances to lynch with the same ratio), the first one is ignored and the second one counts. As a result there's probably a slightly higher number of no-lynches than is being reported.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:18 pm

Post by Toomai »

Did the update. Have a look.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Post by reinoe »

Out of 82 town wins, 19 wins (23.2%) involved only scum lynches.
13 wins (15.9%) were semi-perfect (no town lynches).
6 wins (7.3%) were perfect (no town deaths).

Out of 86 scum wins, 54 wins (62.8%) were perfect (no scum deaths).

Those stats are crazy, especially for the number of perfect scum wins.
Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Post by Quilford »

These are really interesting stats. You're doing God's work here.
llll
llll
Goon
llll
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Post by llll »

If mafia have higher average lifespans than town, that could explain some of the discrepancy between the replacement rates.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:38 am

Post by Toomai »

Jailkeepers live longer than Roleblockers but replace out at the same rate (per slot) as Goons. I don't think "average lifespan" would be a telling stat in that regard.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:32 am

Post by Toomai »

I found an error in the spreadsheets that resulted in reversing the lifespan of Jailkeepers and Bulletproofs in setup A, meaning JKs were living too long and BPs were dying night 1. I have corrected it.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:02 am

Post by Toomai »

BREAKING NEWS
(yes, this deserves such formatting)

Town is 54-76 (41.5%) in games with 5 newbies, 3 SEs, and 1 IC.
Town is 40-27 (59.7%) in games with 6 newbies, 2 SEs, and 1 IC.

The p-value for this is 0.01552 (Z-score -2.418).

There is a statistically significant difference in town winrate between 5-3-1 games and 6-2-1 games.

Currently, the listmod chooses whether a game will be 5-3-1 or 6-2-1 based simply on how many people happen to be queued up. Maybe this might need to change.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Post by TierShift »

Have you corrected for multiple comparisons? I'm not quite sure that that is statistically significant.

If there is some sort of relation between newbie slots and winrate, I do not understand it. Whatever I can think of, does not nearly explain the large difference.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Post by Mina »

This has been brought to my attention, and confuses me, because it seems like the exact opposite result of what I'd expect intuitively. I'd have thought more experienced players = a better town overall. (Unless this is due to replacements, or to something like people giving less of a shit about newbie games when the queue has fewer active newbies.)

Assuming this pattern isn't caused by other factors or random chance, wouldn't sticking to one or the other actually make newbie set-ups MORE unbalanced? You'd have a point if either the 2-SE or 3-SE set-up was significantly closer to 50% than the other. But apparently, 2 SEs mean scum is disadvantaged, while 3 SEs mean town is disadvantaged. Actually, that means if list mods hadn't been changing it up for years, we'd have had much more lopsided results if these two equally unbalanced distributions weren't averaging each other out!

(It seems obviously better for the site if half of newbie games are rigged for scum to win 60% of the time and the other half for town to win 60% of the time than for town to only win 40%. Well, "obviously better" assuming someone even noticed the change--like I've said before in Matrix 6 discussions, I personally prioritize giving newcomers a more positive first experience over stats.
Here's where people should nag me to do newbie surveys already!
)
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

I have a hunch this is because the most important replacements for town are replacements in flaked slots and games with fewer SE's are more likely to have/need to have an SE replace in to the flaked slot.

Can you run the numbers by final distribution of newbie/SE/IC instead of starting?
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Could also correlate with having just one experienced player in the scum team increases the rate, thus the higher rate of one experienced player in a scum slot increasing scum's win rate.
Don't @ me.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Post by Mina »

hito, since only the original slot's "rank" is recorded and not the replacement's experience, I don't think it's feasible unless you force poor Toomai to look up the entire game history of every single replacement in the past two hundred games to see if he/she has played three games with one outside The Road to Rome. I'm kind of curious to know how win rates correlate to the ratio of SEs/ICs to newbies on each faction. It's probably a combination of hito's and Espeonage's theories.
prawneater
prawneater
Goon
prawneater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Post by prawneater »

Isn't the sample size too small to draw conclusions?
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Post by Toomai »

In post 114, hitogoroshi wrote:Can you run the numbers by final distribution of newbie/SE/IC instead of starting?
No unfortunately, for both technical and practical reasons.
In post 116, Mina wrote:I'm kind of curious to know how win rates correlate to the ratio of SEs/ICs to newbies on each faction.
I had this in v1 of the project. Don't remember why it's not in v2. I'll see if I can revive it.
In post 117, prawneater wrote:Isn't the sample size too small to draw conclusions?
The typical yardstick of significance is 30 samples, and we have 130 of one and 67 of the other.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Post by Toomai »

Okay stat acquired.
"421-110" is "town has 4Nb, 2SE, 1IC; scum has 1Nb, 1SE, 0IC". And so on.

This isn't statistically significant overall at the moment, but the pattern is evident.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Post by Mina »

Thanks, Toomai! TBH, it doesn't look like there's much of a pattern (well, I guess someone could make the "two scum newbies means they'll flake and get replaced by awesome people!" argument :P)
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:52 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 115, Espeonage wrote:Could also correlate with having just one experienced player in the scum team increases the rate, thus the higher rate of one experienced player in a scum slot increasing scum's win rate.

This is what I think is happening. More experienced players being in a game make it more likely that one or both draw scum and those games probably take a more pro scum direction than one that has newbie scum. There are exceptions... but that's what I think is happening.

Counterintuitively I think cutting back on the amount of experienced players in the newbie queue would be a better answer than finding the right amount of SEs. Something like 2 ICs or 1 IC and 1 SE or even 1 IC period. I think newbie scum having to contend with experienced players that happen to be town for longer in a game make it more likely for newbie scum to ultimately be found and can be a unbalancing factor.

I don't think there's an easy answer though, the above is just my hunch on what a solution should be.

Edit: Ultimately the question is what you want to have more influence on the newbie games overall? The experienced players or the newbies themselves? I would argue that newbies should be determining the course of their games for better or worse as often as that can be achieved.
Last edited by Zachrulez on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:56 pm

Post by TierShift »

Newbie scum have the highest winrate, so that doesn't work. It also doesn't explain why there's such a large difference in winrate.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 122, TierShift wrote:Newbie scum have the highest winrate, so that doesn't work. It also doesn't explain why there's such a large difference in winrate.

I thought about that, but when you follow the newbie scum line over to the 2SE 1IC setup, they don't anymore so I'm not calling that statistically significant. (In regards to it smashing my theory anyway.) I think 3SE and 1IC is a system where the experienced players being town actually manages to destroy itself because statistically you would expect to find at least one scum in the group most of the time. It's an explanation I find easier to buy because I don't think newbie scum outplaying experience is the norm even though I wouldn't say it's impossible for it to happen.

Edit: Actually over on the 3 SE 1 IC side the winrate is higher when one of the SEs is scum. Missed that when I was replying to this post.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Post by TierShift »

I'm more often fooled by newbscum than by any other type of scum, anywhere. Maybe that's just me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”