[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7850 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 7833, BBmolla wrote:
  • Every night, the VTs submit the name of a player. If the player named the most is scum, they are shot.

• BB is scum inclusive of the serial killer in this case?

I feel like Mafia would probably be a little boned if it is.

I also think that given the setup you need to have plurality lynches (you can easily just agree to no lynch after SK is dead and vote for a certain Member of the town.)
    Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
    In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
    BBmolla
    BBmolla
    Open Book
    BBmolla
    Open Book
    Open Book

Post Post #7851 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 7850, JasonWazza wrote:
  • Every night, the VTs submit the name of a player. If the player named the most is scum, they are shot.

I also think that given the setup you need to have plurality lynches (you can easily just agree to no lynch after SK is dead and vote for a certain Member of the town.)

It is inclusive of SK, why does that bone mafia?

Yeah I'll add must lynch.
    @thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
    JasonWazza
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7852 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 7851, BBmolla wrote:
    In post 7850, JasonWazza wrote:

It is inclusive of SK, why does that bone mafia?

Yeah I'll add must lynch.

No kill and a possible night kill for Town (the voting system) realistically means that an SK dead D1 is a terrible thing for mafia.

The best chance they would have at that point is a lucky protect to "confirm" them
    Bicephalous Bob
    Bicephalous Bob
    Mafia Scum
    Bicephalous Bob
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum
    Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #7853 (ISO) » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:12 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 844, Bicephalous Bob wrote:/in to mod

Game Name: 3v3v3 Nightless
    Game Type: Open
    Game Size: 9

Optional Caption/Description of Game upon announcement: Everyone is a 1-shot Desperado until one scum faction is eliminated.

In post 845, TierShift wrote:Bob, is there a town faction? Do scum know their partners?

Yes. Yes.
    callforjudgement
    callforjudgement
    Microprocessor
    callforjudgement
    Microprocessor
    Microprocessor

Post Post #7854 (ISO) » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

OK, so if that setup wasn't multiball, optimal strategy would be for people to vote for the two scummiest players, and force one of them to desperado the other (on pain of lynching). This continues throughout day 1; town never lets day end except to lynch someone who refuses to follow the strategy. If desperado'ing someone backfires, the target is confirmed as town.

In order to work out what happens in this setup, we need more information. Do the scum factions have nightkills? Must all Desperado shots be taken in public?
    scum
    · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
    town
    Bicephalous Bob
    Bicephalous Bob
    Mafia Scum
    Bicephalous Bob
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum
    Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #7855 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:01 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

No (3v3v3 nightless). Yes (desperado).

I think the best general strategy is half of yours: run people up to L-1 and force them to shoot. Scum have to play along or get shot.
    LlamaFluff
    LlamaFluff
    Jack of All Trades
    LlamaFluff
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7856 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Been playing around with a Popcorn variant...

9x Vanilla Town
    2x Mafia Goon

*Day works as normal
    *At nights mafia have the power to give a VT a gun to shoot for the night. If the VT hits town, the shooter dies. If the VT hits scum, the shooter lives and scum dies.
    *During one night of scum's choice, they can kill as normal instead of giving town a gun
    Co-host of The USL Show
    GeoGuessr: USL Pony
    Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
    ika
    ika
    Survivor
    ika
    Survivor
    Survivor

Post Post #7857 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Post by ika »

In post 7856, LlamaFluff wrote:Been playing around with a Popcorn variant...

9x Vanilla Town
    2x Mafia Goon

*Day works as normal
    *At nights mafia have the power to give a VT a gun to shoot for the night. If the VT hits town, the shooter dies. If the VT hits scum, the shooter lives and scum dies.
    *During one night of scum's choice, they can kill as normal instead of giving town a gun

the gun gets passed out at end of day right?

assuming so i feel like its slightly townsided due to the fact that town has not only the lynch but now a gun
    Shinobi
    Shinobi
    Jack of All Trades
    Shinobi
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7858 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Post by Shinobi »

I have no idea what to do to make that Cell setup work properly. If anyone else has ideas, let me know. If I ran an Open setup, I'd probably go with something a bit more standard. /shrug

EDIT: Had a setup here but decided to keep it to myself for the time being.
    LlamaFluff
    LlamaFluff
    Jack of All Trades
    LlamaFluff
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7859 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Also been trying to play around with a kingmaker type game

2x Mafia Goon
    8x Vanilla Town
    1x Town Successor

*At start of each day town has 14 real life days to vote on a king.
    *King has remaining time from 14 days + 72 additional hours to execute a player
    *If no one is elected by deadline game goes to night
    *If king does not submit a kill game goes to night
    *An election happens each day
    *If King is ever night killed the Town Successor (if alive) automatically becomes king the following day with no election occurring
    *Nights occur as normal
    *Self-voting for choosing who is king is allowed
    Co-host of The USL Show
    Shinobi
    Shinobi
    Jack of All Trades
    Shinobi
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7860 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Post by Shinobi »

I'm not one for balancing things, but you might run into an issue with apathy when it comes to a 14 day election phase. Every day the town isn't scumhunting is another day where town isn't playing, and it makes people lose interest, especially if you're electing someone every day.

One month for a single game day is a huge time commitment.
    JasonWazza
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7861 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 7860, Shinobi wrote:I'm not one for balancing things, but you might run into an issue with apathy when it comes to a 14 day election phase. Every day the town isn't scumhunting is another day where town isn't playing, and it makes people lose interest, especially if you're electing someone every day.

One month for a single game day
    is a huge time commitment.

I think you have it wrong, the king has the leftover time + 72 hours to select, not an extra 14 days (so it's still only half a month)

My question is, what motivation does the mafia have to kill a king if a new one is elected each day (when doing so will only bring out a confirmed town)
    LlamaFluff
    LlamaFluff
    Jack of All Trades
    LlamaFluff
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7862 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 7861, JasonWazza wrote:My question is, what motivation does the mafia have to kill a king if a new one is elected each day (when doing so will only bring out a confirmed town)

To get rid of the confirmed town really. Sure it means they have no idea what is going on with respect to who will be controlling a kill, but that could be a good or bad thing.
    Co-host of The USL Show
    JasonWazza
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7863 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:44 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 7862, LlamaFluff wrote:
    In post 7861, JasonWazza wrote:My question is, what motivation does the mafia have to kill a king if a new one is elected each day (when doing so will only bring out a confirmed town)

To get rid of the confirmed town really. Sure it means they have no idea what is going on with respect to who will be controlling a kill, but that could be a good or bad thing.

Except they aren't really confirmed unless they make that kill, that's my problem with it, kill them when they claim or counterclaim them would be a lot better.
    Shinobi
    Shinobi
    Jack of All Trades
    Shinobi
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7864 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 7861, JasonWazza wrote:
    In post 7860, Shinobi wrote:I'm not one for balancing things, but you might run into an issue with apathy when it comes to a 14 day election phase. Every day the town isn't scumhunting is another day where town isn't playing, and it makes people lose interest, especially if you're electing someone every day.

One month for a single game day
    is a huge time commitment.

I think you have it wrong, the king has the leftover time + 72 hours to select, not an extra 14 days (so it's still only half a month)

My question is, what motivation does the mafia have to kill a king if a new one is elected each day (when doing so will only bring out a confirmed town)

Yeah, I think I misread that.

Oops. :oops:
    prawneater
    prawneater
    Goon
    prawneater
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #7865 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Post by prawneater »

I think for a kingmaker game, the king needs more power beyond the lynch of the day. Like the ability to deputize a sheriff for a night, or a kingsguard heal, or a secret service nightkill.

Otherwise, the game can and should be played as straight forward mafia. Town can make informal vote counts to majority lynch and elect anyone to be king. If the king deviates from majority lynch, he's lynched next day by the new king.
    JasonWazza
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7866 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:05 am

Post by JasonWazza »

Ok so this is gonna be my longer thoughts on the kingmaker game.

Honestly your basically playing a 9v2 mountainous game until you reach a 5v2 scenario which is where it can actually get interesting.

Fact is town best bet is to just random vote someone to be king (cause there is no point in actually caring who is king), and then to pick someone to lynch for the rest of the day, both scum and town have no reason to go against town majority early on, therefore the king actually makes no difference.

Scum play a normal game with the one exception (this is in my mind) in that you avoid killing the king and go for your second kill priority assuming the king is the first until the successor is actually dead, either that, or kill the king N1 if you really don't want the successor around cause i don't even know why.

Now to why it gets interesting at 5v2, this is the point that if scum get voted to king, their best bet is to take out a townie, "it's not LYLO" i hear you say, but that is exactly the point.

You bring it down to a 3v2 where there is one confirmed scum, if the other scum gets voted into the king in the next two days, scum wins the game, and the benefit is, if ONE townie fucks up, you have yourself and your scum partner (who should be doing no content now) to vote you for the win.
    Aneninen
    Aneninen
    He
    Very Important Pigeon
    Aneninen
    He
    Very Important Pigeon
    Very Important Pigeon
    Pronoun: He

Post Post #7867 (ISO) » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Post by Aneninen »

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right thread to present you my setup idea:

MATRIX–12

It's based upon the current Newbie Setup, Matrix–6. However, this one is a bigger version with more possible Setups, more available PRs and the total number of players is 13, just like in many Open and Normal games.

Matrix-12 is a possible "next step" after Newbie games: its main goal is to introduce new PRs to the newer players, just as well the possibility of being in a Multiball-game.
    (If there has been a similar setup posted before, really sorry!)

How does Matrix-12 work?

(1) Each Setup contains 7 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon.

(2) The remaining 5 roles are determined by the following matrix:

Mafia JOAT
    Town Watcher
    Mafia Roleblocker
    Town Bodyguard
    Town Jailkeeper
    Town Neighbourizer
    Town 1-shot Commuter
    Town JOAT
    Mafia 1-shot Bulletproof
    Mafia Rolecop
    Town Doctor
    Mafia Roleblocker
    Mafia Encryptor
    Town Cop
    Town Fruit Vendor
    Werewolf Goon / SK (!)
    Town Odd-Night Doctor
    Town 1-shot Tracker
    Town 1-shot Vigilante
    Mafia Strongman
    Werewolf JOAT / SK (!)
    Werewolf Goon / SK (!)
    Town 2-shot Vigilante
    Mafia JOAT
    Town Even-Night Doctor

Just like in Matrix–6, the Mod secretly determines the Setup is to be played, but in Matrix–12 the Matrix can be read
    diagonally too
    . Therefore, the total amount of the possible Setups is 12 (not 10).

Spoiler: These are the possible PRs; the Vanilla Townies and the Mafia goon are included
    (1) Werewolf Goon, Werewolf JOAT, Mafia Goon, Mafia JOAT, Town Neighbourizer, Town Doctor, 7 Vanilla Townies (9:2:2)
    (2) Mafia Goon, Mafia Roleblocker, Serial Killer, Town Watcher, Town 1-shot Commuter, Town Odd-Night Doctor, 7 Vanilla Townies (10:2:1)
    (3) Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Encryptor, Mafia Goon, Town JOAT, Town 1-shot Tracker, Town 2-shot Vigilante, 7 Vanilla Townies (10:3)
    (4) Mafia 1-shot Bulletproof, Mafia Joat, Mafia Goon, Town Bodyguard, Town Cop, Town 1-shot Vigilante, 7 Vanilla Townies (10:3)
    (5) Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Strongman, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Fruit Vendor, Town Even-Night Doctor, 7 Vanilla Townies (10:3)
    (6) Mafia Encryptor, Mafia 1-shot Bulletproof, Mafia goon, Serial Killer, Town Odd-Night Doctor, Town Jailkeeper, 7 Vanilla Townies (9:3:1)
    (7) Mafia JOAT, Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Watcher, Town Bodyguard, Town Jailkeeper, 7 Vanilla townies (10:3)
    (8) Mafia 1-shot Bulletproof, Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Neighbourizer, Town 1-shot Commuter, Town JOAT, 7 Vanilla Townies (10:3)
    (9) Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Encryptor, Mafia Goon, Town Doctor, Town Cop, Town Fruit Vendor, 7 Vanilla Townies (10:3)
    (10) Mafia Strongman, Mafia Goon, Serial Killer, Town Odd-Night Doctor, Town 1-shot Tracker, Town 1-shot Vigilante, 7 Vanilla Townies (10:2:1)
    (11) Werewolf JOAT, Werewolf Goon, Mafia JOAT, Mafia Goon, Town 2-shot Vigilante, Town Even-Night Doctor (9:2:2)
    (12) Mafia JOAT, Mafia Encryptor, Mafia Goon, Town 1-shot Commuter, Town 1-shot Vigilante, Town Even-Night Doctor (10:3)

Seven of the Setups are 10:3, two of them are 9:2:2, two of them are 10:2:1 and one Setup is 9:3:1.

(3) If the Setup contained only one Werewolf slot, it gets replaced by a Serial Killer. (These Setups: (2), (6) and (10) )
    The Serial Killer is to choose their PR pregame:
    either
    Strongman AND Ninja
    or
    1-shot Bulletproof.

(4) If the Setup is 10:2:1 – (2) and (10) –, the Mafia faction has Daytalk. In all other cases there's no automatic Daytalk unless a Mafia Encryptor is present – (3), (6), (9), (12) – and he/she's alive.

(5) The Town JOAT has the following abilities: Doctor, Tracker, Vigilante – all of them are 1-shot. The JOAT can use only one of their abilities at Night.

(6) The Mafia/Werewolf JOAT has the following abilities: Ninja, Strongman, Roleblocker – all of them are 1-shot. The JOAT can use only one of their abilities at Night.

(7) If an X-shot ability is disabled during the night, the shot is lost for good. The Bulletproof ability blocks the first incoming shot automatically.

(8) Natural action resolution applies. A Roleblocker
    can
    block Nightkills but can't block passive abilities. No scum can perform a kill and an active ability at the same Night.

________

I'm open to any suggestion and modification.
    GuyInFreezer
    GuyInFreezer
    Magical Girl
    GuyInFreezer
    Magical Girl
    Magical Girl

Post Post #7868 (ISO) » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

First of all it would be too confusing for people who are playing mafia for the first time.
    Show
    "I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
    The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
    ~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
    WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
    ~Alisae
    JasonWazza
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    JasonWazza
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7869 (ISO) » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:05 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Which is why it would be the next step.
    TierShift
    TierShift
    Jack of All Trades
    TierShift
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7870 (ISO) » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Post by TierShift »

I think the idea is pretty great, I'm just not sure about the balance. All of town's strong PR's (jk, cop) are strictly countered by a roleblocker (rb, joat). I think scum can just claim to be VT's in these setups and not worry too much about confirmed townies; they can just kill them off. I suggest adding more goons in the matrix.

Also, setup 12 is reheheheaaaly underpowered for town.
    Aneninen
    Aneninen
    He
    Very Important Pigeon
    Aneninen
    He
    Very Important Pigeon
    Very Important Pigeon

Post Post #7871 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 am

Post by Aneninen »

In post 7869, JasonWazza wrote:Which is why it would be the next step.

Exactly. I'm thinking about adding this:

(9) Anyone finished at least one Newbie can signup for a Matrix-12 game.

In post 7870, TierShift wrote:I think the idea is pretty great, I'm just not sure about the balance. All of town's strong PR's (jk, cop) are strictly countered by a roleblocker (rb, joat). I think scum can just claim to be VT's in these setups and not worry too much about confirmed townies; they can just kill them off. I suggest adding more goons in the matrix.
    Also, setup 12 is reheheheaaaly underpowered for town.

You're right.
    I won't even pretend that I'm able to balance a Setup like this alone and on my first try.

How about reducing the
    variability
    of Scum-PRs? In that case they can't be surer than town about the Game Setup as it starts.
    The JOATs are in good positions, the Roleblocker in position 37 could cause problems. I'm also considering removing the Encryptor.
    Also, (12) is one of the three Setups which concerns me (the other one is (6), for a 9:3:1 there should be a stronger town and (3) seems to be overpowered for the scums).
    So, any ideas are welcomed (and I'm constantly thinking about the possible changes).
    SB
    SB
    Goon
    SB
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #7872 (ISO) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Post by SB »

Town JoaT and 2 shot vig being in the same setup seems kind of sketchy, since the game can end after Night 2 with misfires. Stuff like mafia BP with the 1 shot vigilante also seems kind of questionable, I don't think it needs nerfing there.

Also town in game 1 seems underpowered as hell. It's basically doc v 2 mafias who both have strongman kills.
    Aneninen
    Aneninen
    He
    Very Important Pigeon
    Aneninen
    He
    Very Important Pigeon
    Very Important Pigeon

Post Post #7873 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:43 am

Post by Aneninen »

SB, I've read your remarks and I'm thinking about them as well.

Topic-mod or whoever: am I allowed to open a new Thread for Matrix–12?
    – I'm afraid that if we discuss about it amongst all of the other Setup ideas, that would "kill the thread" for everything else.

Back to SB and TierShift. Right now I think I'll create a 6×6 Matrix instead of an 5×5. If it would be 6×6, there would be 6
    possible
    PR slot for each Setup and by using VT and Goon cells balancing would be a much easier job. (In the most PR-rich Setup there would be still 6 VT and 1 goon, which means more than 50% of non-PR slots but it could be more.)
    BBmolla
    BBmolla
    Open Book
    BBmolla
    Open Book
    Open Book

Post Post #7874 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I don't think there is really any other setup ideas going on. Just talk about it in here for now.

(I'm not a mod, but yeah.)
    @thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”