[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7825 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:18 am

Post by TierShift »

As what do the power roles flip?
Hostile Intent
Hostile Intent
Mafia Scum
Hostile Intent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7826 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:44 am

Post by Hostile Intent »

In post 7817, BBmolla wrote:What are fisherman's possibilities

They're all 25% or less.
In post 7818, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 7815, Hostile Intent wrote:The Great Fishing Expedition

Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Goon

Town Day-Fisherman x 4
Townie x 3

Fisherman fish for their pr during the day and may use their successful "catches" at night.

Even and known split for VT/FM is going to ask for an early massclaim that is going to get scum in a hole very fast, it may be nearly an auto-loss if scum gets lynched day one. At most you are going to need something like a

Fish (2-4)
VT (3-5)

That sounds much better. I was afraid something as simple as mass claim might break it.
In post 7819, TierShift wrote:I still don't understand what a fisherman does.

They fish for pr's with low chances of getting them.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7827 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:05 am

Post by TierShift »

So what pr's?
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #7828 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 7825, TierShift wrote:As what do the power roles flip?

They flip accurately.
Don't @ me.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7829 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:42 pm

Post by TierShift »

Are millers told they are mllers?

Even if not, the game is breakable by massclaim.
If scum doesn't claim PR, enjoy your three conftown who can also start to confirm town if the weak neighbouriser dies.
If scum does claim PR, you have the four claims target each other in this fashion: A-->B-->C-->D-->A. If either of the weak neighbouriser or masoniser hit scum (66%), scum loses their neighbouriser. If the neighbouriser connects with the scum neighbouriser, still no harm done. You have scum divided in two groups and with the next night you figure out the scum PR regardless.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #7830 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Would it be fixed by not revealing what strain they are?

And no millers wouldn't be told. It's break the weak neighbourizer.
Don't @ me.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7831 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Post by TierShift »

My breaking strategy still works in 66% of the cases, I believe. It's only not as breakable in the other 33% of the cases anymore.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7832 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Post by TierShift »

You should draw out the possibilities for A, B, C and D's roles and highlight an optimal nightkill and then look at the percentages.

I think in very few/no cases there's not a confirmed scum day 3, but if the weak neighbouriser dies by targeting scum/miller it might be a scum victory by day 3.

I've contemplated A<->B C<->D targeting strategies but that still leaves you with the problem of neighbourisers targeting each other.
What is definitely suboptimal play is for unidentified PR's to target non-PR's as guilties and inno's don't mean shit and that can lead to deaths.
Another thing to keep in mind is: 2 kills-->one of them weak neighbouriser targeting scum. 1 kill, even weak neighbouriser-->target doesn't have to be scum.

I think fully calculating this will take you about 15-30 minutes, at least. Go try it.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #7833 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Baby Scum 8P

2 Mafia 1-shot Doctors

1 1-shot Bulletproof Serial Killer
5 VTs

• Daystart
  • The mafia team do not possess a nightkill
  • Serial Killer wins 1-1-1 endgames and 1-1 endgames.
  • Mafia wins 1-2-1 endgame.
  • Every night, the VTs submit the name of a player. If the player named the most is scum, they are shot.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7834 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:52 am

Post by Shinobi »

Cell Mini Mafia

• 15 players
  • All Vanilla.
  • Cells. There are 5 cells in game, each comprised of 3 players. Each cell has a mafioso in it. Town lynches in one cell per day.
  • Day 1 is a shortened period wherein the players pick a mayor. The mayor picks the order in which players lynch into each cell.
  • Mafia has daytalk.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7835 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 am

Post by TierShift »

My earlier response was stupid, so I deleted it.
If scum has a nightkill, super scumsided
If scum does not have a nightkill, looks good. I think it will be scumsided in practice, since scum have a huuuuuge influence in the town; they only need to sway3 townies for a majority.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7836 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:23 am

Post by Shinobi »

No nightkills. There's no night sequence in the original setup.

I might retroactively add a short one to give people a recharging period, though.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #7837 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:19 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

Does the town have to keep lynching in cells where scum was found? If so, awkward. If not, a scum lynch on Day 1 or 2 ends the game.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7838 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:34 am

Post by TierShift »

Oh yeah, forgot that, lol. Looks pretty damning to scum.
Unless the mayor is scum, in which case scum always wins.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7839 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 am

Post by Shinobi »

Game ends when one faction wins 3 cells.

When town lynches into a cell, the entire cell is removed from play. Only the lynchee flips.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7840 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:46 am

That's very scumsided considering the 1/5 odds and the low information after a day 1 lynch. Two options:

1. Turn it into a micro. Everyone flips when a cell is removed.
2. Don't remove cells after town is lynched, just after scum is lynched.

-----

Spoiler: Competitive Mafia
Game Specific Rules

Setup and ruleset based on zoraster's Second Fortnight.

The Leaderboard

1. New players start with a rating of 250.
  2. This game consists of four rounds, which are two-week-long mini-games themselves. At the start of each round, alignments are rerolled.
  3. All rounds have the same setup, detailed below.
  4. A penalty of -200 will be given to anyone who replaces out in the middle of a round, except if something unforeseeable happened.
  5. A penalty of -100 will be given to anyone who notifies me in a timely manner they want to replace out after that round, so I can line up a replacement.
  6. When a player gets lynched as scum or wrongly accuses someone as town, and their rating is below 0 after that, they are eliminated from the game. A townie can't be eliminated as a direct result of being lynched and scum can't be eliminated as a direct result of their partner being lynched.
  7. The leaderboard isn't updated until the end of a round as not to reveal players' alignments.

The Setup
  1. The setup is two Mafia Goons versus seven townies. The Mafia have daytalk. Plurality rules are in effect. If two players have received the same number of votes at the end of the day, I'll look at the last vote on each wagon. The player who got their last vote first gets lynched.
  2. A round lasts a single Day and a single Night, which in turn last 12 and 2 days, respectively.
  3. If the town lynches a mafia member on Day 1, the players' ratings will change as follows:

Mafia Goons: -100
    Townies voting mafia: +100
    Townies not voting mafia: -35

4. If not, the ratings will change as follows:

Mafia Goons: +20
    Townies voting mafia: +100
    Townies not voting mafia: -35
    Lynched townie: -35

5. If a townie is lynched, the mafia will via instant night select one of their members to
    Flee
    , thus removing from the game. The identity of the fleeing player is revealed to the town and they cannot be accused. The lynched townie turns into a
    Third Party Poltergeist
  6. Every other Town member becomes a
    Third Party Independent Private Investigator
    and will win or lose for themselves.
  7. PI's have up to 48 hours to make an accusation. At the end of the night, Independent PIs must have submitted at least one accusation to the moderator. The most recent accusation counts.
    If a Mafia Goon was lynched, the PI's can make two accusations of which only one has to be correct.

8. The remaining mafia member instead of submitting an accusation submits a bribe. If the mafia member bribes a Private Investigator who in turn accuses the mafia member AND there are no other accusations against the mafia member, the Private Investigator is bribed, causing a win for BOTH that Private Investigator AND the Mafia. The lynched/fleeing Mafia player does not have a bribe to use.
  9. The Poltergeist chooses someone to haunt. This doesn't influence anything but the Poltergeist's ranking. If the haunted player is mafia, the Poltergeist gains 135 points.
  10. Ratings change as follows, if the remaining mafia member is not accused by any PI:

Mafia Goons: +100
    Private Investigators: -20

11. ...if the bribed investigator is the only PI to accuse the remaining mafia member:

Mafia Goons: +100
    Bribed Investigator: +100
    Other Private Investigators: -20

12. ...in all other cases of the remaining mafia member being accused:

Mafia Goons: -30
    Successful PIs: +100
    Unsuccessful PIs: -20

Sample Role PMs

TownieYou begin as a member of the Town. On Day 1, you may vote in order to lynch a player. If the player you're voting at the end of the Day is scum, you will gain 100 points by the end of the round. If not, you lose 35 points.

At the end of Day 1, you will change from a member of the town to a Third Party Independent Private or, if you're lynched, to a Third Party Poltergeist. If a townie was lynched, one of the mafia will flee and you may accuse a single player of being the remaining mafioso. If a mafioso is lynched, you may accuse two players. If one of your accusations is right, you gain 100 points. If not, you lose 20.

If you're lynched, you lose 35 points and turn into a Poltergeist. As a Poltergeist, you can haunt a player instead of accusing them. If your target is the remaining mafia, you gain 135 points.

Mafia LoverXXX and YYY, you are Mafia Goons. You have day talk and can converse HERE, even after Day 1.

If either you is lynched Day 1, your rating drops by 100 points. If not, you gain 20 points.

If neither you nor your partner is lynched Day 1, you must pick one of you to
flee
. You may do this by typing in bold in your Private Thread <b>Flee: PLAYERNAME</b>. This is instant night, so whenever the hammer is thrown, the player you have marked as fleeing will flee. By default XXX will flee. You may change the fleeing player at any time and as many times as you want up to the Day 1 lynch.

The player who flees will be removed from the game except that he may still chat with you.

If the remaining mafioso isn't accused, both of your ratings increase by 100 points. If not, you lose 30 points.

Bribe

Your accusation is actually a bribe. If you bribe a Private Investigator who in turn accuses you AND that was the only player who accused you, you will still get your points. The fleeing/lynched Mafia player does not have a bribe to use.

Confirm by posting in the Mafia PT.
Last edited by Bicephalous Bob on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7841 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 am

Post by Shinobi »

It's not iml either.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7842 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:04 pm

Post by TierShift »

shinobi, the town EV of your setup is 0.21 with incredibly low info lynches. You should think of something to increase the EV.

Bob, why do you want to play the most annoying part of a game, day 1, 4 times?
Other than that, the score for lynched townie should be as low as a failing PI; if you got lynched, you suck at least as hard as they do. Instead, you can give them the opportunity to guess the scum, with a penalty for getting lynched. In that way, you can still test their ability of scumhunting, even if their town play doesn't look that town.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #7843 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 7834, Shinobi wrote:Cell Mini Mafia

15 players
All Vanilla.
Cells. There are 5 cells in game, each comprised of 3 players. Each cell has a mafioso in it. Town lynches in one cell per day.
Day 1 is a shortened period wherein the players pick a mayor. The mayor picks the order in which players lynch into each cell.
Mafia has daytalk.

Triplicate Mafia does this better imo.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7844 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:26 pm

In post 7842, TierShift wrote:Other than that, the score for lynched townie should be as low as a failing PI; if you got lynched, you suck at least as hard as they do. Instead, you can give them the opportunity to guess the scum, with a penalty for getting lynched. In that way, you can still test their ability of scumhunting, even if their town play doesn't look that town.

I think the burden of correct reads is mostly on the reader. Town play never looks like scum play, assuming townies don't deliberately try to be scummy.

But I do like the idea of giving the lynchees a chance to redeem themselves. I'll count it as a bribed accusation, or scum won't have any incentive to try and push lynches on people who are scumreading them.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7845 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Post by Shinobi »

I might just scrap it tbh. Someone offsite came up with the idea and ran it there, but I wanted to see how it would work with more strict rules for dealing with inactivity, which seemed to be the recurring issue there because scum would just go inactive around lynch deadline and become unlynchable.

I'll come up with something else, prbs.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7846 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Post by Shinobi »

Okay, so new ideas:

There's a two-player cell and it goes first. No matter what happens, town has a sense of direction and the flip mechanics don't need to be changed.

Daytalk and any kind of communication within the scumteam is removed.

Yay/nay?
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7847 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:03 pm

The players in that cell are just going to spout a lot of confbiased bullshit at each other
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7848 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Post by TierShift »

they don't have to. Look at how the dolphin micro went. They need to state opinions on other players.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7849 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 7848, TierShift wrote:they don't have to. Look at how the dolphin micro went. They need to state opinions on other players.

This.

The scumhunting between the two won't be high level, but it counteracts the need to mess with the flip mechanics and gives town information on day 1/2.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”