The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17675 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Post by davesaz »

I use warp pages for two main purposes, going between fixed known locations (which portals can replace easily) and to jump back home from random locations or to mark a temporary spot while exploring and jump back to it later (which doesn't work for portals at all). On SSP I can address this 2nd need by teleporting to waypoints. An intra-linked mystcraft link book might provide a reasonable alternative, though using a link book in hand drops it on the ground which makes it a less desirable solution.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #17676 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:45 am

Post by Maruchan »

dave the portal mod ETL was doing had a portable portal setup thing
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #17677 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:25 am

Post by Maestro »

:lol: @ this whole discussion
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17678 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:05 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 17652, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
Spoiler: ETL's kinda big post
MODDED SERVER - PACK UPDATE

I've posted some information about the update on the blog, just to keep you in the know on how this goes (especially for our newer players). I've started working on the new pack and the TL;DR version of the post is that we should be ready to launch SP4 in about a month. YAY! Lots of awesome new updates and new things to come. I'm very excited for this update.

Don't forget to add your suggestions to the pack spreadsheet so I can take a look at things you want to see. This is the best way for me to know what you want - telling me in IRC means I'll see what you said and then forget it immediately. My memory is terrible and I'm usually doing something, so unless I'm working on the pack at that moment, I wont remember. I love new suggestions because I don't always know what's out there or what you guys are looking for. It really helps me out! Here is a list of mods for 1.7.10 if you don't know where to start. I'm checking out what's on there as well. The list has over 650 mods, so definitely take a look and see if something catches your eye.

And just to say - I love all our players, and I'm really happy to do this kind of stuff. If I do something that you don't like, I want to know about it! My job is to make sure the server is something we are all happy to be a part of (as well as keep it running as bug-free as possible!), so keep that in mind and let me know what you think.

Thanks! ♥

So I thought I'd check this out and it looks like you're redoing the pack from the ground up. If that's the case I thought I'd offer some comments and maybe become more involved since there's a chance I may want to come back. I left a bunch of Google comments on the spreadsheet before I decided I wanted to post here, so I'll mark them resolved as I move them to this post.

Spoiler: M's pretty big post
Atum - "I enjoy the unique weapons. Who doesn't want a shotbow?" -Klaz
ETL - You should do extensive testing with this prior to any consideration. It was silly when it was in Alpha: too easy to die to and kill with the things in this mod. Armor and other weapons were practically useless.

OpenComputers - "Like ComputerCraft, but more balanced and with better persistence." -Jackel
Jackel - What does that mean...?

MineChem - "Because who doesn't love drugs?"
WARNING: Adds annoying chemical formulas to everything in the game that it recognizes. Also, not a lot of mod compatibility.

Aesthetic Beacons - "Not for 1.7.10"
We're using this in High Seas. The most recent build works perfectly in 1.7.10.

TiC - Tinker's Mechworks - "TiC add-on (Drawbridge, RS circuits, RS filters) Nobody uses."
Agreed. Not only are its features available elsewhere or not really necessary, it's also bugged to hell and back. Not sure when he's gonna bother to fix that but it looked promising...
:?

BuildCraft - "Too much, I decided against another heavy tech mod.
Also has API issues in 1.7 with other mods - does not play nice." -ETL
ETL - You know that I'm in no way an advocate for BC when you have other (better) tech mods, but I am wondering what this means. BC moved to Redstone Flux in a recent update; it should play perfectly well. We're using it as our main tech mod in High Seas since we didn't want much tech to begin with, and we've had no problems.

Mariculture - "Who doesn't like jewelry?" -Klaz --- "Have lots of jewelry, too much worldgen with this mod, plus other mods do most of what this one does." -ETL
ETL - Just wondering: jewelry from where? The Enchanting / Jewelry system in this mod was pretty unique, I thought. Not to mention I haven't heard about anybody on these servers (including myself) using the Fishing systems. Think Bees but in the Ocean.

IronChests - "How is this not already in your list?" -Klaz --- "Replaced by Binnie's tabbed chests" -ETL
Sad to see this go without a fight. Compartments and IronChests could easily exist simultaneously and don't do the
exact
same thing. Plenty of other mods more similar have been included along-side each other. I'd submit that offering more choices in something as simple and important as storage is always a good thing - hell, that was the whole reason Factorization was included for the longest time.

Metallurgy - "Note: You can take out the worthless stuff." -Klaz --- "Do not need or want, and disabling ores and alloys caused problems with the TiC Smeltery." -ETL
ETL - Just wondering: what do you mean "problems with the TiC Smeltery"? We disabled half the mod for High Seas and haven't seen any problems with the Vanilla Smeltery nor with the Tinker's Steelworks High Oven.

Millenaire - "Working/Growing villages. Not sure how it would balance in this pack." -Jackel --- "This mod is a disaster in 1.7 for some reason; quite broken. :( " -ETL
ETL - Agreed, though I still love this one. It doesn't provide much value in a tech pack - at best it would be a decoration-gathering mod since all the stuff the Villagers can
do
is better automated by machines.

Helpful Villagers - "Assign villagers "jobs" and come back to collect the fruits of their labor.
Awesome mod but removes the trading ability."
Glad you didn't include this one. Without their trading they're essentially useless; the game is balanced around obtaining some items exclusively or quasi-exclusively from Villager trading.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17679 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:25 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

YAY M! ♥

1. Atum:
    This mod was in Alpha when we looked at recreating the 1.6 pack, and when I started looking at 1.7 mods. In my opinion, it did not offer much of anything that other mods didn't (like Tinker's, for the weapons), and the treasure found in the pyramids and such was mediocre by the time you'd be strong enough to even beat them. I'm probably not going to include it at this time.
  2. OpenComputers/ComputerCraft:
    Sticking with CC as it is a trusted mod that plays nice with most of our others.
  3. MineChem:
    Probably not. I've had some issues with it in the past breaking things from other mods. It's a very neat concept and probably ok with Vanilla and not much else. The focus of this pack is certainly more than just Vanilla so we're leaving this out.
  4. Aesthetic Beacons:
    M -
    Is there any bad reason to include a mod that says 1.7.2 on it? The mod page for this didn't offer a 1.7.10 version so I wasn't sure. If it's fine, I'll add it. It looks beautiful.
  5. Buildcraft:
    Re API issues: Forestry recently updated their API which RC, BC, and Binnie's mods rely on. With Forestry's latest version in the pack, BC is broken. If you did not have Forestry, that is probably why it worked fine, but also, High Seas was created before the update. I'll look further into it but we already have Mekanism, Thermal Expansion and EIO, not to mention Extra Utilities offering some tech options as well. I likely will not bother with this as it's too much head ache. (You know I love logistics pipes and would include BC just for that, but we don't need it.)
  6. Mariculture:
    This mod brings a lot of *stuff* to the game, and much of it is covered by other mods. The only unique aspect is the fish breeding, which I would gladly include if it weren't for all the other junk that tags along - like excessive world gen. Re: jewelry from other mods - Azanor's Baubles mod has opened up a whole new section of the inventory that a lot of mods have taken advantage of - TE, Thaum, Artifacts, and Botania to name a few. I'm definitely planning on exploring that when the pack launches. Right now, no on mariculture. Too much headache to go in and disable almost everything just to breed fish (when we already have bees).
  7. IronChests:
    After some testing with Binnie's compartments, I've decided to keep Iron Chests as another option. We're getting the compartments with Binnie's mods anyway. The reason is only because there are no "in-place" upgrading options for the compartments - you have to empty them and then use the box in the crafting recipe to upgrade. I'm definitely going to be using them, but Iron Chests is here to stay as well.
  8. Metallurgy:
    In the current pack, iron and gold create an alloy called angmallen, which is not only mediocre as a tool material, but impossible to get out of the smeltery any other way. Disabling extraneous ores is one thing, but I couldn't disable them from the smeltery. It was a problem, and somehow messed up the liquid registry in NEI as well. I loved Metallurgy - beautiful shinies, tons of armor to display, useful early game machines, but such a cluttered ore table. It completely crowds out many other ores and there's no real way to balance it. There's just not enough room. Remember SP2? Ores for days and days and days. You couldn't mine in peace and there was
    almost
    not enough stone. Not worth it. It would be all or nothing for this mod. With the amount of other mods we have that require oregen, this one is out.
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17680 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:43 am

Just as an FYI, it seems several people didn't know about the tabs at the bottom of the document:

There's more information about the pack on those tabs, such as a link to download the current test pack.
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17681 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:03 am

In post 17675, davesaz wrote:I use warp pages for two main purposes, going between fixed known locations (which portals can replace easily) and to jump back home from random locations or to mark a temporary spot while exploring and jump back to it later (which doesn't work for portals at all). On SSP I can address this 2nd need by teleporting to waypoints. An intra-linked mystcraft link book might provide a reasonable alternative, though using a link book in hand drops it on the ground which makes it a less desirable solution.

You can make the book have a quality called "following" so it doesn't drop from your inventory when you use it. It does take some work but being able to teleport home from anywhere should be something to work towards. :]
Art is cool.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17682 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:08 am

Post by davesaz »

That's a link modifier thing along with intra linking, right? Like I was saying, supposing we can craft the link modifier and use it, it might be sufficient to have that. :D I'll give it a try in my test.

The odd smeltery thing with disabled metallurgy ores is even a problem on the current server. I think TC is doing something like enumerating classes with "ore" or "ingot" in the name and including smeltery stuff for everything it finds, whether enabled in worldgen or not. There are other dead ends when a mod includes something as an ingredient in a recipe but the recipe for that thing is disabled. The modders could collectively fix this problem by adding an "isEnabled" method and using it to determine whether to add recipes and when to use alternative ingredients.

The thing I use metallurgy the most for is the tartarite armor for huge durability, and the ability to mine obsidian with any of the tier 3+ metals without wasting diamonds on a pick. Either reason can be replaced with the high end stuff from one of the other mods.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17683 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:13 am

To be honest, I'm not familiar enough with the new way MystCraft does things. It's definitely on the list to test right now, so I'll get back to you on that.
Art is cool.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17684 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:15 am

Post by Klazam »

You add modifiers via the inkwell, it consumes materials, and is at an reasonable cost
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17685 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:25 am

Post by davesaz »

Re: Jackel's comment on OpenComputers. CC computers forget what they were doing when the chunk unloads / reloads, so you have to put in an autorun file and program it to start from scratch. OpenComputers have persistent memory and pick up right where they left off. BUT, I don't know if OC even has a turtle equivalent, have not gone that far yet.

If CC is the one that sticks (which seems to be the case), then we probably want a chunk loader peripheral. But I don't know if it's even updated, not on the mcf modlist. I also added a peripheral mod to the suggestion list.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17686 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:30 am

In post 17685, davesaz wrote:If CC is the one that sticks (which seems to be the case), then we probably want a chunk loader peripheral. But I don't know if it's even updated, not on the mcf modlist. I also added a peripheral mod to the suggestion list.

Oh yeah that's right. We used to have some addons for CC. Klaz would know. I'll take a look.
Art is cool.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17687 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:57 am

Post by Klazam »

Regular chunkloaders work also, no periphals is needed, but i can check for some.

If your porgorsm fails based on chunk unloading and loading they you have bad programming.myou can have the program write a save state to computer's memory between each action/change/etc at no cost, so if you program the program to save itself, its no issues after that.

Turtles are godly
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17688 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:03 am

Post by davesaz »

It's mostly a thing for turtles so they keep doing what you asked them to when you leave them branch mining or building something in the boonies.
My day job is disaster recovery programming, so saving the state or writing it so the state doesn't matter is a given, when I bother to take the time to do it. :D
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17689 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:06 am

Post by Klazam »

If you have that, its not a issue. Although you might still want to stick around because mobs can get annonyng.

Ill still check for my usual periohal mods, thiugh. I want my xp turtles.
Jackel98
Jackel98
Goon
Jackel98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17690 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:18 am

Post by Jackel98 »

OC does have a turtle equivalent called robots. They're also take upgrades/other things, and not only save state when unloaded but come with a fairly cheap chunk-loading upgrade.
“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17691 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:33 am

In post 17687, Klazam wrote:porgorsm

:lol:
Art is cool.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17692 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:56 am

Post by Klazam »

Looked up oc. Its a clone of cc, but with stuff that is annonying. For example, the computers need constant power, and there seems to be no support for pastebin programs, so you have to rely on their ingame interface to write programs which is a pain.

Rabblerabble cc
Jackel98
Jackel98
Goon
Jackel98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17693 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:32 am

Post by Jackel98 »

There is a pastebin API, as well as an all out HTTP/Internet API.
“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17694 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:10 am

Post by Klazam »

rabble
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17695 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Post by Maestro »

That API should come bundled with their mod given how essential it is to using it. Not impressed with a mod that leaves out important features like that.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #17696 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

EtL whitelist me >.>
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17697 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:20 pm

In post 17696, AngryPidgeon wrote:EtL whitelist me >.>

Done!
Art is cool.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #17698 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Ur da best. I died, why do I suck at this game.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17699 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:13 pm

In post 17698, AngryPidgeon wrote:Ur da best. I died, why do I suck at this game.

Step 1. Break tree, get wood.
Step 2. Build castle.
Art is cool.

Return to “The Arcade”