Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #4500 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Right that's what I'm saying. There isn't UWB, but if my dream clan is Orzhov flavored with blue trickery, what's closest? I'm thinking it's the endurance dudes but like I said I'm magic rusty.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #4501 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Jeskai (Blue, White, Red) - tempo shenanigans

Abzan (White, Black, Green) - control/midrange

Sultai (Blue, Black, Green) - graveyard shenanigans

Mardu (White, Black, Red) - aggro

Temur (Blue, Red, Green) - midrange/big dudes
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4502 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:31 am

Post by chamber »

In post 4495, Shanba wrote:So

If I have a 2/2 and I attack into a morph. He blocks. I have a jeskai charm in hand READY to use. I pass priority on the phase. He unmorphs the abzan 4/4 lifelink guy! Since morph doesn't go on the stack, and since we have effectively both passed priority on an empty stack, do I then not get a chance to jeskai charm his guy before damage happens? OTOH if it isn't the abzan guy but instead, say, the jeskai guy who gets +3/+0 and first strike when unmorphing, cause that puts an ability on the stack, I do get a chance to respond?

Also that doesn't work if it's the other way around?

No I looked it up and I think the definition of passes is "116.3d If a player has priority and chooses not to take any actions, that player passes." which seems to preclude that interpretation by suggesting that unmorphing is not passing. Incidentally, this seems to suggest that if you could play lands on an opponent's turn that means that when you played the land and passed he would get priority before you (as active player) and then after you played the land and passed - and then you would get priority again! I think.

On other fun rules stuff - Meandering Towershell and raid. The turn it comes back into play it does not activate raid - only the turn it actually attacks. Which makes sense, I guess.

Morph makes my head hurt.

You need priority to unmorph and priority would pass back to the other guy after you unmorph. The only thing you can't do is like shock the morph in response to them paying the unmorph cost before it flips.
Taking a break from the site.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4503 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 am

Post by Anatole Kuragin »

If my wife has veridian longbow equipped on a typhoid rat and taps it to do the one damage and kill a creature of mine, can I use an instant to destroy the longbow and avoid the damage? Or is damage already on the stack (this is the explanation I found googling)?

Also, does her equipping the bow give me priority to then destroy it before it can be tapped?
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4504 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:32 am

Post by chamber »

Destroying the longbow or rat in response to the ability being used won't do anything.

Equipping is targeted and passes priority, so yes, in response to her equipping you could kill the rat or bow while it was on the stack.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4505 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:31 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Yep.

When an activity is activated it goes on the stack. Even if you destroy the source of the ability that ability will still resolve and use what is known as last known information. A related rule that some people have some trouble grasping is spells that target must have legal targets at resolution. So if you cast a spell that says something like "deal 1 damage to target creature, you draw a card." if that creature is killed in response the spell will not resolve and you will not draw a card.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4506 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:23 am

Post by chamber »

In post 4505, Thestatusquo wrote:people have some trouble grasping is spells that target must have legal targets at resolution.

Minor nitpick/could just be a function of your wording but for the sake of clearity; At least one target needs to be legal on resolution for the spell to still resolve. If the spell starts with 3 targets and 2 are illegal when it goes to resolve, it will still resolve doing as much as it can.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4507 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Yeah, function of how I wrote it. Chamber is correct.

Things like electrolyze cannot be countered by removing one of the targets. However, I have won games before because I remanded my own spell and they drew off of their cryptic command.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4508 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:12 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Basically in a tournament setting you should be super super super careful when resolving any effect that leads to you drawing a card. Drawing extra cards is 100% the most common reason for game loss penalties (aside from deck reg errors)
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4509 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Post by sthar8 »

I have a dream that someday I'll run an event and not issue a deck reg penalty.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4510 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Just switch to running fnms
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4511 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Post by sthar8 »

I mean a real event. I do those too.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #4512 (ISO) » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Post by kdowns »

Playing in a TCG 5k the weekend of rotation...

Playing U/W heroic. Don't care, going to have fun... And probably infuriate a few people >:3
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4513 (ISO) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 am

Post by Anatole Kuragin »

Jeskai Ascendancy "Storm" looks pretty stupid/awesome
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #4514 (ISO) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:31 am

Post by InflatablePie »

yeah, I'm not sure if it's good, but I goldfished the deck and drew my entire deck on turn 5 the first time, so that was fun. good thing the draw/discard is a 'may' trigger!
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4515 (ISO) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 am

Post by Natirasha »

I hate standard already.

I know it's not even week one, but I've tested a bunch of decks so far and they all suck. Mono R/Mono B aggro are both good, but besides those, it's midrange hell. I hate it. Every match I've played ends up going for like thirty minutes with super-stalled boardstates.

I -still- think Abzan is the best shell(Elspeth+Courser+Thoughtseize 2 strong), except I've adapted to a Constellation plan right now. In the land of long, monotonous, grindy midrange matchups, the one that has the most Gadgetzan Auctioneers is king. Abzan Ascendency is a house, although I don't think a non-Constellation plan really wants it.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit

Post Post #4516 (ISO) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Post by kdowns »

I looked at both Mono R and Mono B in my testing... I just didn't like how they turned out
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4517 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I'll just wait until the pro tour and then pick up a deck. Brewing is for suckers.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4518 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:27 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 4516, kdowns wrote:I looked at both Mono R and Mono B in my testing... I just didn't like how they turned out

I think as the season goes on, the red deck will go in bigger like during the old ISD/RTR days with Stormbreath/Sarkhan/Ashcloud and the Mono B deck should really be running at least 3 Mogis' Maurader to get through. It might go a bit bigger with Grey Merchants or something, too. I dunno.

I love grindy midrange nightmares.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4519 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:44 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

You are what has ruined magic.

I like draw go and spending 5 turns trying to craft a game state where your opponent is forced to discard during clean up so you can slowly get value.

Or combo killing people on turn 2. Sweet llanawar elf, bro. Kill you.

Or intricate combinations of the two. Cryptic command your shit. Untap. Kill you.

each player playing dumb creatures and mashing them together is just boring magic. They say its interactive. But tic tac toe is pretty interactive. And boring.

Anyone doing midnight prereleases tonight? I'm going to the Dice Dojo in Chicago and a good time will be had until I fall asleep at my table.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit

Post Post #4520 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 am

Post by kdowns »

In post 4518, Natirasha wrote:
In post 4516, kdowns wrote:I looked at both Mono R and Mono B in my testing... I just didn't like how they turned out

I think as the season goes on, the red deck will go in bigger like during the old ISD/RTR days with Stormbreath/Sarkhan/Ashcloud and the Mono B deck should really be running at least 3 Mogis' Maurader to get through. It might go a bit bigger with Grey Merchants or something, too. I dunno.

I love grindy midrange nightmares.

I know you've been going to a lot of the Texas Events, Are you going to the Waco 5k?

Also... SCG is coming to Houston... FINALLY. And then next month Dallas... I feel like texas is getting spoiled.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4521 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:06 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Did you know that the phrase don't mess with texas comes from an antilittering campaign?
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4522 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 4519, Thestatusquo wrote:Anyone doing midnight prereleases tonight? I'm going to the Dice Dojo in Chicago and a good time will be had until I fall asleep at my table.

My play massively falls apart about two AM, so I'd rather not have two decent rounds and then four awful ones after. I've got a 9:30a and then a 4:30p 2HG on Saturday and probably another 2HG at 6:30p on Sunday.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4523 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 4519, Thestatusquo wrote:You are what has ruined magic.

I like draw go and spending 5 turns trying to craft a game state where your opponent is forced to discard during clean up so you can slowly get value.

Or combo killing people on turn 2. Sweet llanawar elf, bro. Kill you.

Or intricate combinations of the two. Cryptic command your shit. Untap. Kill you.

each player playing dumb creatures and mashing them together is just boring magic. They say its interactive. But tic tac toe is pretty interactive. And boring.

Anyone doing midnight prereleases tonight? I'm going to the Dice Dojo in Chicago and a good time will be had until I fall asleep at my table.

I'm surprised that I fooled Shea with my sarcasm. I hate hate hate grindy midrange nightmares. Most of my decks I post here are distinctly *not* midrange decks, simply because I hate matches coming down to 'who topdecks their cards in a better order?' My favorite deck of all time was back during Time Spiral, when I could play Teferi and Mystical Teachings, holding a fist of counterspells, then flash in a Skeletal Vampire or something to win.
That
is the magic I like. I will admit I do like Grey Merchant of Asphodel as a card, but besides that, I just loath how much Wizards wants everything to be midrange topdeck wars. For the past two years, it's becoming distressing how almost every good card in standard is a big dumb beater with some trinket ability that makes them slightly different from the next. I mean, look at fucking Sidisi for a perfect example. BUG is a hard control wedge. Like, if any deck deserves to be controlly, it's BUG. They know this too--Damia is a fantastically designed general in the colors--but, what did we get? An underpowered, boring beater who doesn't say 'this is BUG' at all. You can proxy that for pretty much every other Khan, too. Bearpuncher is the worst about it, he's literally the definition of 'uh, maybe if we add a bunch of words to a big dumb beater, he's cool, right? It's not even like RUG is a hard color to design for, here's a cool RUG commander I made up right now.

Guydude, Geomancer Sovereign 2URG
Legendary Creature--Human Shaman
Flash
Whenever Guydude, Geomancer Sovereign enters the battlefield, destroy target permanent, then it's owner puts a 5/5 red dragon token with flying onto the battlefield.
2/2

ez. This card is cool, fits the colors, and promotes interesting play(lets ignore balance concerns for now). But, no, Wizards doesn't want that. They want boring topdeck beaters. Which, like, those are fine in some number--cards like Akroma and Thundermaw are pretty sweet in their simplicity--but when every card is one of those, it gets real old real quick.

But, anyways, yeah, I hate Wizard's designing right now. I understand the move away from counterspells and removal--it helps sales with casual players, sure--but it really does lead to monotonous gameplay.

In post 4520, kdowns wrote:
In post 4518, Natirasha wrote:I know you've been going to a lot of the Texas Events, Are you going to the Waco 5k?

Also... SCG is coming to Houston... FINALLY. And then next month Dallas... I feel like texas is getting spoiled.

I would be, but I moved to Chicago last week.

(speaking of which, shea, what are the good shops to go to?)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4524 (ISO) » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Ok, I like you again. Glad you're not srs.

DICE DOJO is my favorite. I'm going to their midnight one tonight if you actually want to like interact with the internet in real life. Good mix between super competitive types and your typically FNM crowd. Great board games store as well. Has over 2000 board games that you can play there for free. Wednesday is board game night.

Pastimes is the biggest, but its in the suburbs and I never go there because I feel like they treat players like shit. Mostly grinder type players. Also, more likely to be assholes.

MTG Card Market is run by a buddy of mine and hes a good dude. Store is more high end stuff (If you want a playset of foil gaea's cradle RIGHT NOW Jameson is the dude to go to.) Play is more competitive.

Wanderers Refuge across the street from me. More of a games store, but runs magic events. Caters to a more casual crowd. Store prides itself on being very progressive and welcoming to new players as well as various underrepresented groups in society. I love the owners of this store with all my heart but almost never play magic there even though its right across the street because beating casuals isn't fun to me.

Return to “The Arcade”