Mini Normal 1609: The Case Of Doctor Pepper (Game Over)

Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:50 am

Post by Wake1 »

Correction: She was talking about me (despite not really knowing me), and I don't think she's played with me before. However, this doesn't exclude the possibility that she's really an alternate account. I'm not saying she has played with me before.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:51 am

Post by Wake1 »

And if she flips Town, I'm going to want to lynch BBT. If Scum, I'll trust him slightly more as Town.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:56 am

Post by Anatole Kuragin »

I don't see the scumslip.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:24 am

Uhh.. so are you going to explain it wake?
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:29 am

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

In post 128, Anatole Kuragin wrote:Uhh.. so are you going to explain it wake?

What do you think the first part of the post is in response to?

'I haven't played with him before'... It looks like it was a response to a different player/topic, no?
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:31 am

Especially given there was 2 hours between her first two posts. Why did she not post her questions on Wake in her first response?
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:32 am

"I haven't had any games with him, but I've read a couple games with Wake88 and I've seen his posts around the forum (particularly Mafia Discussion)."

that is a complete thought expressing that she expects difficulty in nailing down wake's alignment. Do you guys not see the comma and dependent clause after it?
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:33 am

What I mean is - if she had just said "I haven't played with him before" in response to nothing, yeah that would look like a slip up maybe. But that's not what happened. I think TTH is just a better writer than us and thus has more variance in her sentence structure.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:37 am

In post 131, Anatole Kuragin wrote:"I haven't had any games with him, but I've read a couple games with Wake88 and I've seen his posts around the forum (particularly Mafia Discussion)."

that is a complete thought expressing that she expects difficulty in nailing down wake's alignment. Do you guys not see the comma and dependent clause after it?

That's what was making me doubt myself.

But, let's say someone asked her 'Have you played with BBT before?' and she responded with that post. Would that also make sense to you?

Does it look like newbscum asking for advice on how to deal with a potential problem?
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:37 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

In post 125, Wake1 wrote:Correction: She was talking about me (despite not really knowing me), and I don't think she's played with me before. However, this doesn't exclude the possibility that she's really an alternate account. I'm not saying she has played with me before.

I'm not an alternate account nor do I have any first-hand experience with you nor is it even close to being a "slip". Upon entry to the site, I read Open 529 and Mini 1493 and that's the context I "know" you in.

If you want to say those two games are unfairly representative of your play, that's fine. I'm not here to argue that. But in both of those games, you became a centerpiece of the discussion fairly quickly. That was the logic behind my meta questioning, though:
In post 38, TellTaleHeart wrote:I asked BBT about how he planned on reading Wake88. I did this because I had read a couple games with Wake88 in it prior to this and I saw that in both instances, he was a very divisive figure. My logic was that I wanted to get a baseline from BBT by asking him about something he likely wouldn't lie about (his philosophy on reading a certain player) and see if he actually followed through with it in the subsequent day.

In post 129, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:
In post 128, Anatole Kuragin wrote:Uhh.. so are you going to explain it wake?

What do you think the first part of the post is in response to?

'I haven't played with him before'... It looks like it was a response to a different player/topic, no?

I just happened to put the pronoun ("he") before the antecedent ("Wake"). I didn't know it would be that confusing to you.

In post 130, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:Especially given there was 2 hours between her first two posts. Why did she not post her questions on Wake in her first response?

I made the first post while my attention was divided. I also wanted to take time to think of something to say that was more than idle chatter.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:40 am

In post 133, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:
In post 131, Anatole Kuragin wrote:"I haven't had any games with him, but I've read a couple games with Wake88 and I've seen his posts around the forum (particularly Mafia Discussion)."

That's what was making me doubt myself.

But, let's say someone asked her 'Have you played with BBT before?' and she responded with that post. Would that also make sense to you?

Does it look like newbscum asking for advice on how to deal with a potential problem?

It just looks like someone who's heard of another player asking about them..
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:40 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

In post 133, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:Does it look like newbscum asking for advice on how to deal with a potential problem?

Maybe I should point out that I was asking how to approach the
read

Scum seem to tend to not need those.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:42 am

Scum do need to fake them though.

If you were looking ahead for potential problems that may arise as scum, you found one in Wake and wanted to know how to deal with his type of play style.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:47 am

Why is your first instinct upon reading "tackle a read" to assume the aim is to fabricate a false one?
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:49 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

You want to argue that the wording makes it a slip and I'm pointing out that the wording doesn't make sense for something that scum would say to their partners.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 am

I'm probably suffering with conf. bias here.

When I saw my role PM, I automatically assumed that TTH was scum. Then I convinced myself after post 3 of the neighbour thread that she slipped. However, during recent exchanges in this thread, I'm beginning to think that TTH is actually town.

If you are town TTH, you made a pretty big mistake in your opening post of this game. You should have waited to see what developed.

UNVOTE:
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:01 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

In the midst of the ongoing storms in me vs. BBT and Boon vs. GreyICE, I see that someone is making posts while taking care to sit it all out.

Spoiler:
In post 7, The Rufflig wrote:Hello. I only recognize a few of you. I'm sure that will soon change.
VOTE: Rambler

In post 21, The Rufflig wrote:
In post 10, GreyICE wrote:
Vote:Rufflig

Obvscum

Obviously. I'm on a scumiserable streak. I've been rolling scum 80% of the time this year. The real trick will be to find my allies.

In post 78, The Rufflig wrote:I believe they received pre-game chat -- which means the scum did as well. I don't have a neighbor example, but I've been a mason with pre-game chat before. While it may be uncommon for a neighborhood not to have a scum in it, it does happen. I'm not inclined to lynch either one solely on the basis of being a neighbor.

In post 94, The Rufflig wrote:
In post 87, Wake1 wrote:
In post 84, scrambles wrote:
vote flubbernugget

He confessed he was scum in another game in a different thread.

Wouldn't that be discussing ongoing games, ergo modkill?

Flubbernugget appears to be alive in approximately 8 games, atm. I don't think anyone would be surprised if he was scum in at least one of them. Now, let's just drop this toxic topic.

In post 100, The Rufflig wrote:
In post 93, Boonskiies wrote:Him bringing up the vigilante constantly to kill someone regardless of alignment is odd to me. Granted, I understand how he could be annoyed by the fact I said I would hammer, but come on man. I said I was a village idiot, I'm just clowning around.

Nope. GreyICE is a serious player. Serious players do not like players who lurk to victory; lurkers earn a lot of disdain from serious players. Welllll, guess what other types of players they don't like? Trolls. The nature of a bboard game takes away our ability to size up one's body language and vocal tone. The only clues we have to use are the other players' written words. Trolls, rpers and masks take away those clues nearly as much as lurkers. Basically, in a serious players' eyes you are either scum or you are a liability to the town. Either way, you should be taken out as soon as possible (preferably by the night game). If everyone adopted your play style, this game would become very chance based (much like epicmafia). That isn't the type of game that most mafiascummers wish to play. This is why GreyICE wants to see your corpse.

I can't really glean much information on what Ruffling actually thinks of the goings on by looking at his posting and it's disconcerting.
Doogal121
Doogal121
Goon
Doogal121
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:30 am

Post by Doogal121 »

I'm not willing to walk away from this whole BBT-TTH thing yet...

BBT, when you quoted, you said the thread was locked. Why? Do you only have night chat or something?
TTH: Why, of all players, did you pick Wake as the first one to isolate in discussion?

Everybody who has actually rolled Mafia before: Does Mafia typically have day chat or night chat only? I always assumed they had day chat.

BBT: Did you actually look into the Greyice Anatole LaL claim, or did you just vote it assuming that Greyice was being truthful? If you took him at his word, why didn't you look further?
V/LA Weekends and Major Holidays.
Record 1-3
My Wiki with all results
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:34 am

Typically mafia do not have daytalk. Some mods are starting to make it a standard part of their rules, and some require an encryptor (a role different from goon, whose only purpose is to provide daytalk as long as he is alive).
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:40 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

I reviewed the first few pages and I'm working from townreads on Wake, Doogal, Boonskiies, and GreyICE for various reasons.

I'm waffling on BBT. I initially thought he was just going to try to railroad me and not even bring up the neighborhood stuff in order to not bring attention to the fact that he himself was a neighbor. If he really thought he was chasing a real scumslip, I would think he would go ahead and claim and shout it from the rooftops from the first post. But when I read this post, I think his philosophy
might
be to play stuff close to the vest at first. I'm unsure.

I've already said I'm scumreading Ruffling for his passivity. There's a couple more characters on the periphery of the discussion whom I'm developing scumreads on, most notably massive.

Others have yet to be sorted, but those reads are still in the embryonic phase and I prefer not to share them yet.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:42 am

Are you townreading GreyICE for being an opportunistic liar or for being a hypocrite?
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:45 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

In post 142, Doogal121 wrote:TTH: Why, of all players, did you pick Wake as the first one to isolate in discussion?

I bolded the answer in the following quote. Everything else is context.

In post 134, TellTaleHeart wrote:I'm not an alternate account nor do I have any first-hand experience with you nor is it even close to being a "slip". Upon entry to the site, I read Open 529 and Mini 1493 and that's the context I "know" you [Wake88] in.

If you want to say those two games are unfairly representative of your play, that's fine. I'm not here to argue that. But in both of those games, you became a centerpiece of the discussion fairly quickly. That was the logic behind my meta questioning, though:
In post 38, TellTaleHeart wrote:I asked BBT about how he planned on reading Wake88. I did this because I had read a couple games with Wake88 in it prior to this and I saw that in both instances, he was a very divisive figure.
My logic was that I wanted to get a baseline from BBT by asking him about something he likely wouldn't lie about (his philosophy on reading a certain player) and see if he actually followed through with it in the subsequent day.
Doogal121
Doogal121
Goon
Doogal121
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:52 am

Post by Doogal121 »

So, TTH, you picked Wake instead of anybody else, because you were lurking games that he was in prior to joining? Of all the players in this game, is he the only one you directly observed?
V/LA Weekends and Major Holidays.
Record 1-3
My Wiki with all results
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:07 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

In post 145, Anatole Kuragin wrote:Are you townreading GreyICE for being an opportunistic liar or for being a hypocrite?

I think GreyICE is over-zealously pushing a misunderstanding based on a couple behaviors I'm seeing. He asked you twice prior to the "calling out" post what your experience with neighbors was (post 73 and post 81). To me, this seems indicative of someone who thinks he's caught you in a contradiction and wants to make sure you're actually making the argument he thinks you're making. I can't think of any scum motivation GreyICE would have in allowing you to correct yourself. The "gotcha'!" post itself (post 106) reads as genuine as well; the large, bolded font, the short sentence structure, and the link to the actual game in question all imply confidence to me that I don't think would be seen in scum, especially given that anyone can follow the link and judge the game for themselves.

While his efforts here are misguided, I think GreyICE actually believes what he's saying.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:09 am

I'm inclined to agree, which makes it even more annoying.

for the record - I wasn't trying to avoid answering his question, I just couldn't remember games in particular without breaking any site rules about referring to ongoing games (which is the main reason why I won't discuss any others, unless greyice digs another game up that had neighbors).

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”