Newbie #358 - Big Trouble in Little Rome (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
TrustGossip
TrustGossip
Goon
TrustGossip
Goon
Goon

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 4:32 am

Post by TrustGossip »

Can someone please provide a summary of BM's actions? I feel I may have been swayed a bit by his appeal for emotion. Nevertheless, I'd like to put some pressure on Jack to force his contribution.

Note: still unsure whether jack is scum, but just need his input before the deadline.
Compcrack

Basically crack.
TrustGossip
TrustGossip
Goon
TrustGossip
Goon
Goon

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 4:34 am

Post by TrustGossip »

Dio wrote:It seems more to me that Dr. Doom is swaying things over Jack. After what looks like filibustering for Volkan he seems to now direct his rhetoric at BM, but first waiting for someone else to start the band wagon on him. It seemed that the only reason BM was voted for in the first place was as a prod, but Dr. Doom turned it into something more. As such I do believe that Volkan and Dr. Doom are scum partners and will
vote Dr. Doom
for he and his words seem much more dangerous then Volkan.
...what?

his
words
? I think someone stated that words are all we have in this game. This seems a lot like, "I lurked/didn't pay attention a lot and don't really care that I'm throwing away a vote, just don't lynch me".
Compcrack

Basically crack.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 4:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Thirteenth Vote Count of Day One:

vollkan - 2 (Jack, Scarecrow)
Battle Mage - 2 (vollkan, Dr. Doom)
Scarecrow - 1 (Battle Mage)
Jack - 1 (TrustGossip)
Dr. Doom - 1 (Dio)

Not voting - no one!

With seven alive, four votes will lynch normally.
However you currently have a
retractable deadline for Friday, June 1st at midnight U.S. time.
At that time, the person with the highest total of votes will be lynched, provided that is at least half of the votes cast. Right now, no one is that vote leader, so the group would No Lynch based on the complete lack of agreement.

I will re-evaluate the deadline at the end of this page, since discussion has picked up somewhat.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 5:04 am

Post by Battle Mage »

people who say im crazy are just jealous. as i always say, its the times i DONT look scummy, in which i am probably scum! :P
Unvote, Vote: Dr Doom
btw

TrustGossip wrote:
Battle Mage wrote:BS. Try metagaming a little. i always appeal to emotion when i am about to die. its a BM-tell, not a scum-tell. :roll:

Scarecrow wrote:Yep. You're still acting like an appealing-to-emotion scum.

"You'll be sorry!"

Please.
Don't think I've slacked off in my research. Popular opinion seems to state that your playstyle is difficult to understand and frequently interpretted as scummy. Popular opinion also states that you're crazy.

My main problem, like Dr. Doom's is your single target broadside against scarecrow. I know there are reasons to not absolve him of suspicion, I just don't think that he ranks anywhere near the list of scummy targets at this point in the game.

However, I really have many more problems with Jack at the moment. On going back and re-reading, he posts very sparsely but his opinions seem to dictate the entire flow of the game. Almost as if he's clearly indicating to a scum parter what townie to string up on a bandwagon.

Considering the deadline, I'm not at a point where I can just let my suspicion sit idly.

Unvote: BM, Vote: Jack
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Goon
Scarecrow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 9:00 am

Post by Scarecrow »

Right. Now that ossip has moved off of BM, and can

unvote: vollkan
vote: BM
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 10:07 am

Post by Battle Mage »

trying to save ur buddy Dr Doom?
rofl.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Dio
Dio
Townie
Dio
Townie
Townie

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 am

Post by Dio »

his words? I think someone stated that words are all we have in this game. This seems a lot like, "I lurked/didn't pay attention a lot and don't really care that I'm throwing away a vote, just don't lynch me".
What I meant is that he has very good persuasive skills, and if Volkan dies before him I'm sure he could use them to distance himself from Volkan. How is it throwing away a vote? Dr. Doom seems to be scum to me. I really don't think voting for apparant scum is throwing your vote away, unless you propose me voting for someone who I think is townie.
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Goon
Scarecrow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Post by Scarecrow »

Battle Mage wrote:trying to save ur buddy Dr Doom?
rofl.

Make up your mind, buddy. I can only have one scum-buddy.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 2:27 pm

Post by vollkan »

SC:
Battle Mage wrote:
trying to save ur buddy Dr Doom?
rofl.

Make up your mind, buddy. I can only have one scum-buddy.
Just so I follow this, who is the original buddy and who is the buddy BM is now suggesting?
TrustGossip
TrustGossip
Goon
TrustGossip
Goon
Goon

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 6:13 pm

Post by TrustGossip »

Somewhat off-topic:

Thanks Wikipedia random article! You summed up my position on mafia perfectly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogerian_argument
Compcrack

Basically crack.
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Goon
Scarecrow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 2:45 am

Post by Scarecrow »

vollkan wrote:SC:
Just so I follow this, who is the original buddy and who is the buddy BM is now suggesting?

I believe that Jack was my first one, but now BM seems to have switched to Dr. Doom.

Gossip: Don't you know that the best way to play mafia is to repeatedly shout your opinion whilst attacking your opponent's grammar?
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 2:47 am

Post by Battle Mage »

well, opinions change. At the moment, i think Dr Doom is more likely scum than Jack.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:04 am

Post by Jack »

I'm of the opinion BM and vollkan are scum. I've been wrong on bm before though, so I'd rather we vote vollkan.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:05 am

Post by Jack »

No lynch, however, is a terrible idea.
TrustGossip
TrustGossip
Goon
TrustGossip
Goon
Goon

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:21 am

Post by TrustGossip »

@Jack, I don't think you should let past experience dictate this decision. Think about it. If BM's playstyle as a townie constantly smells scummy, and he plays with good people, he still wins as town even if lynched. However this would be the perfect smokescreen if ever he gets a scum role.

I'm more concerned right now about how Dio popped out of the woodwork only when BM is under an L-1. I also still have a healthy bit of suspicion towards you jack, but I also feel like your suspicion of vollkan can be justified. I'm inclined in this situation to believe in vollkan at the moment. If vollkan does turn out to be scum, and this defense turns out to bite me in the ass, so be it. I just feel there has been a great deal more scummy things from others.

Unvote: Vote dio
Compcrack

Basically crack.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 6:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Fourteenth Vote Count of Day One:

Battle Mage - 3 (vollkan, Dr. Doom, Scarecrow)

Dr. Doom - 2 (Dio, Battle Mage)
vollkan - 1 (Jack)
Dio - 1 (TrustGossip)

Not voting - no one!

With seven alive, four votes will lynch.
Deadline rescinded, don't make me regret doing so.
Dr. Doom
Dr. Doom
Goon
Dr. Doom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 2:11 am

Post by Dr. Doom »

Whoa, way too much information to respond now. I'll post later, okay?
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom, you are an artist. - Oman
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 2:31 am

Post by Battle Mage »

TrustGossip wrote:@Jack, I don't think you should let past experience dictate this decision. Think about it. If BM's playstyle as a townie constantly smells scummy, and he plays with good people, he still wins as town even if lynched. However this would be the perfect smokescreen if ever he gets a scum role.
thats true, however, as a general rule, people find me scummier as town than as scum. that is reflected in the fact i have only been lynched once as scum, and i have been lynched about 15 times as town.
ofc its WIFOM, but if you metagame, thats the basic answer.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 am

Post by Jack »

You haven't been scum often enough for that to be statistically significant.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 3:58 am

Post by Battle Mage »

actually i have. if 1/4 of players are scum, the fact that i have only been lynched as scum 1/16 of the time, is significant in proving that i am more often killed as town than the average player.
BM

Jack wrote:You haven't been scum often enough for that to be statistically significant.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Goon
Scarecrow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 5:22 am

Post by Scarecrow »

I'm not convinced. I'm not going to change my opinion of you just because you say that's how you always are. I hate it when people try to use scummy behavior as a defense.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Post by vollkan »

actually i have. if 1/4 of players are scum, the fact that i have only been lynched as scum 1/16 of the time, is significant in proving that i am more often killed as town than the average player.
BM
But it doesn't prove you are killed more often as town than the "average player". It just gives evidence that over a pretty small sample space there is a tendency for YOU to be lynched as town more than as scum, which just collapses into WIFOM.

Unless there is some statistic floating out there that "the average player is killed as town in xx% of games", I can't see where you are coming from.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:22 am

Post by Battle Mage »

yes, as most games have 1/4 of the players as scum, its reasonable to believe that
at least
1/4 of the players lynched will be scum. in fact, its actually greater than this, as in most games, all players who are NKed are town, and scum can only be killed via lynch, thus more scum left to be lynch victims.
according to this, my 1/16 is looking pretty sound :)

vollkan wrote:
BM
But it doesn't prove you are killed more often as town than the "average player". It just gives evidence that over a pretty small sample space there is a tendency for YOU to be lynched as town more than as scum, which just collapses into WIFOM.

Unless there is some statistic floating out there that "the average player is killed as town in xx% of games", I can't see where you are coming from.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:29 am

Post by vollkan »

Whoa, way too much information to respond now. I'll post later, okay?
Any chance of that post coming soon? It would be good for this game to start moving again.
Dr. Doom
Dr. Doom
Goon
Dr. Doom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Post by Dr. Doom »

Sorry, Im in Rostock/Heiligendfamm at the momebnt, at the G8 Summit, so my Internet access is at least shaky. But I try to give some input.

One:
Dr. Doom wrote:Plus you dodged this entirely:
Dr. Doom wrote:Your scumminess (as I see it) stems from the fact that I just can't really see why you see SC as scummy. You say he plays like you do if you are scum (I don't see any similarity in the playstyles of you two, btw), and that his remark about your aggressiveness and that his reasons for it relied partly on wrong Logic is a class A scumtell. I just don't follow - It was an Offhand remark, and he did not vote or attack you for it. When you reacted like it was huge thing, he attacked you more, but it was you who first shifted into high-gear.
Plus, when vollkan grossly misrepresented SC, you agreed with him 100%, which does not speak protown to me.
and
Dr. Doom wrote:
Battlemage wrote:its posts like these that convince me Vollkan is town. ive unwittingly defended scum like this many times, and the typical scumbag response is to tie themselves to me, so i get lynched tomorrow. Instead, Vollkan is showing genuine suspicion of me. Im still happy killing Scarecrow.
Care to explain that one further, please? I don't really get what you mean here - vollkan defends someone you think is very clearly scum, yes? Who would that be?
Say something in regards to this, because that is why I accuse you.
You still dodged this, despite answering to my posts twice, and both times you claimed that there is nothing that is hold against you.

Second:
Your statistics are Bullcrap, sorry.

Third:
Dio wrote:It seemed that the only reason BM was voted for in the first place was as a prod, but Dr. Doom turned it into something more.
Can you explain this better? I don't think that it was a prod at all, and I did not turn the accusations against BM into something more. Also note that SC would have voted for BM earlier if it weren't for me.
You come out of a nine day lurk just to vote for me for a reason that is not explained ver ywell, and you massivley lurked before (you even said so yourself), and you did not ever say something substantial on this game. If BM gets lynched and comes up as scum, I'll be highly suspicious of you being his buddy.
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom, you are an artist. - Oman

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”