Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1275 (ISO) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:06 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Played Asteroyds the other evening. It's like Robo Rally on crack. REALLY hard to learn (ok we were drinking, but not that much), but once you get it it's kind of entertaining. I'd definitely want to play with more than 2p next time though (it supports 6), because I won by default of my opponent having bad spatial reasoning and smashing into her 6th asteroid in like 8 turns while I only had 2 of 4 gates completed... I did complete the others anyway to prove I could do it, but rolling dice by yourself sucks.

Also, fuck 'Haggis'. It wants to be a quick trick-taking ditch-your-cards game but it's vastly overcomplicated. Not even linking it, it's that bad.
Retired as of October 2014.
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1276 (ISO) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:49 am

Post by sthar8 »

We played BraveRats for three hours at a bar the other night. Super simple, easy to learn, bluffing game. Lots of WIFOM.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1277 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Probably going to pick up Suburbia + Kemet soon. Was going to grab Hanabi as well... any other cheap micro games anyone can recommend? We have Escape! Curse of the Temple, Love Letter, Skulls & Roses, and obviously mafia/werewolf.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1278 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Oh, also, opinions on Race for the Galaxy?
green shirt thursdays
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #1279 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:49 am

Post by Fenchurch »

I want to come back to something from a while ago…

In post 864, quadz08 wrote:
In post 861, Fenchurch wrote:Forbidden Island, have enjoyed many games of this already, it totally lives up to the hype. Reminds me a lot of Pandemic, but lighter and quicker. We've only lost once though, and that was on Legendary difficulty.

you only lost once? on legendary?

teach me your wayyyyyys

So, uh… it
might
be the case that we recently discovered that in our many games of Forbidden Island (including variants, such as Multi-character Forbidden Island, or Silent Forbidden Island) we've been playing it wrong. And this
might
be the reason that we found the game so easy.

Turns out we'd missed the rule about removing location cards from the flood deck if that location sinks, so there was no reason to waste time saving places that we didn't need (e.g. coastal areas) and the 'dead' cards would pad out the deck making it less likely that we'd draw the cards for locations we did need.

I'm looking forward to playing it with the real rules and finding out what it's actually like!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #1280 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:54 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 1278, xRECKONERx wrote:Oh, also, opinions on Race for the Galaxy?

It's my favoritest game in the history of ever. It's also a fairly polarizing game, in that some people love it and some people despise it. Try before you buy if you can, but it's well, well worth the money. I have over 1000 plays of the game (without exaggeration).

The iconography in the game gets a bad rap, but I think it's perfect and picked it up intuitively. If you can grasp how the cards in the game will help you, the game can work for you. I love it because it has complexity, depth, good tough choices, has a fantastic engine building component (and I'm a fan of engine building games), has great variety with the number of different cards in the game, has some interaction but no "take that" aspects, and plays in a very short time for all that (20-30 minutes). Some people don't like the potentially overwhelming variety of cards, and there is a learning curve to the game that makes it difficult for new players to compete against experienced players. If I had to give away every game in my collection except one, I'd be keeping Race for the Galaxy.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #1281 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:56 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 1277, xRECKONERx wrote:Probably going to pick up Suburbia + Kemet soon. Was going to grab Hanabi as well... any other cheap micro games anyone can recommend? We have Escape! Curse of the Temple, Love Letter, Skulls & Roses, and obviously mafia/werewolf.

I approve of the Suburbia pickup! (Never played Kemet.) I like Pixel Tactics a lot, but the few people I've played it with haven't latched onto it like I would prefer. And of course, I love Hanabi. (Obligatory "If you want to play online, let me know and I'll give you access to my Hanabi site".)
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1282 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:00 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'd love to play Hanabi online!

Re: RftG-- See, I like engine building games. But if I already have Quarriors, Dominion, Dice Masters, etc. will RftG be unique enough to scratch a special itch?

Re: Suburbia-- Do you know if the expansion is worth getting? I like the idea of it adding more asymmetrical play to the game (and increasing the # of players) but I also wouldn't mind waiting on it if the base game is good enough.

Re: Pixel Tactics-- It does look very good. But, it's only two players, and we always have a minimum of 4!
green shirt thursdays
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #1283 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:07 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 1282, xRECKONERx wrote:I'd love to play Hanabi online!

Re: RftG-- See, I like engine building games. But if I already have Quarriors, Dominion, Dice Masters, etc. will RftG be unique enough to scratch a special itch?

Re: Suburbia-- Do you know if the expansion is worth getting? I like the idea of it adding more asymmetrical play to the game (and increasing the # of players) but I also wouldn't mind waiting on it if the base game is good enough.

Re: Pixel Tactics-- It does look very good. But, it's only two players, and we always have a minimum of 4!

Race for the Galaxy is definitely different enough from the games you listed. (It has overlap with Puerto Rico/San Juan, because of their shared lineage, but I own Puerto Rico and once owned San Juan and enjoyed them all.)

I would definitely get the expansion for Suburbia...after playing it 15-20 times. Suburbia is good enough on its own, and you'll welcome the variety the expansion gives after playing the base game by itself.

And PM me your email address for Hanabi access. ;)
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1284 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:13 am

Post by hasdgfas »

My main problem with Race for the Galaxy is that you only really get a turn with your engine, then the game is over. It's just a boring game to me.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1285 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:05 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 1277, xRECKONERx wrote:Probably going to pick up Suburbia + Kemet soon. Was going to grab Hanabi as well... any other cheap micro games anyone can recommend? We have Escape! Curse of the Temple, Love Letter, Skulls & Roses, and obviously mafia/werewolf.

Tsuro!

In post 1279, Fenchurch wrote:I want to come back to something from a while ago…

In post 864, quadz08 wrote:
In post 861, Fenchurch wrote:Forbidden Island, have enjoyed many games of this already, it totally lives up to the hype. Reminds me a lot of Pandemic, but lighter and quicker. We've only lost once though, and that was on Legendary difficulty.

you only lost once? on legendary?

teach me your wayyyyyys

So, uh… it
might
be the case that we recently discovered that in our many games of Forbidden Island (including variants, such as Multi-character Forbidden Island, or Silent Forbidden Island) we've been playing it wrong. And this
might
be the reason that we found the game so easy.

Turns out we'd missed the rule about removing location cards from the flood deck if that location sinks, so there was no reason to waste time saving places that we didn't need (e.g. coastal areas) and the 'dead' cards would pad out the deck making it less likely that we'd draw the cards for locations we did need.

I'm looking forward to playing it with the real rules and finding out what it's actually like!

Yeuuup that'll do it. lol.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1286 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:10 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

In post 1278, xRECKONERx wrote:Oh, also, opinions on Race for the Galaxy?

10/10

My playgroup ground that game to hell, bought an expansion, ground that to hell and back, bought two more expansions and then ground it out even more. The game as a lifespan but what a glorious life it is.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1287 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:13 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

See, I don't consider Tsuro a "microgame" because it's like $40. I've played it, I love it, but I don't "full price board game" love it.
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1288 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Going to echo moat of the above when I say that RftG is fantastic. Personally, I love trying to figure out what my opponents' phase picks are going to be base on their board- when you get it right, you feel like a genius.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #1289 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 1288, Sudo_Nym wrote:Going to echo moat of the above when I say that RftG is fantastic. Personally, I love trying to figure out what my opponents' phase picks are going to be base on their board- when you get it right, you feel like a genius.

It's quite a feeling to call Consume/Trade without a good on the board, expecting someone else will play a Settle. ;)
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1290 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:26 am

Post by Anatole Kuragin »

Has there ever been a playdiplomacy or play by email diplomacy game ever run with people from MS? Seems like the perfect crossover game.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1291 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:36 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 1290, Anatole Kuragin wrote:Has there ever been a playdiplomacy or play by email diplomacy game ever run with people from MS? Seems like the perfect crossover game.

=10&fid[]=63&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0]Just a couple.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1292 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:24 am

Looks like we're due for a new game
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1293 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:25 am

Post by sthar8 »

In post 1285, quadz08 wrote:Tsuro!
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1294 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 am

Post by sthar8 »

In post 1287, xRECKONERx wrote:See, I don't consider Tsuro a "microgame" because it's like $40. I've played it, I love it, but I don't "full price board game" love it.

???
$26 plus tax on my shelf. You're getting robbed.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1295 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:18 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Uh wow. Yeah. I was almost done with this LGS anyway because they're fucking pricks, but after checking into another local store, I'm DEFINITELY done. This other store does 20% off MSRP.
green shirt thursdays
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1296 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am

Post by Faraday »

I like coup a hell of a lot, if you play mafia and other bluffing games a lot it may not be needed I guess, though? (or you could just make your own set?) Still a lot of fun. I plan to pick up Legendary soon. Steam park looks really fun too, I want it.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1297 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 am

yeah, Coup is awesome. it's replaced resistance in my group unless we have a ton of people
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1298 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

We have Mascarade, which is too similar to Coup to get both IMO
green shirt thursdays
sthar8
sthar8