Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

pickemgenius wrote:
Khelvaster wrote:I'm looking at earwig, pickem, or fireball for scum.

Of those three, pickem seems strongest. Pickem went off against me only after Ripley did
Ripleys vote was random. Mine, not as random.
That's my point. You saw me as an easy target, but waited until someone else voted for me first before trying to instigate a bw.
Khelvaster wrote: so he wouldn't be accused of starting a bw. At the same time, he implied that I was scum without much justification, most likely hoping to get off a quick lynch against me
I never said anything about quick lynching you, I voted you to get out of the random voting stage, sorry I can't control what other people do.
[/quote]

That is an illogical statement. Since you voted for me and provided some justification, no matter how bad that justification was, it's reasonable for us to believe you were intending to implicate me as being mafia.

Any reasonable townie would want to quick-lynch someone who he thought was mafia. However, you said you were not out to quick-lynch me. Thus, your statement contradicts itself. If you were an honest townie, you wouldn't be contradicting yourself that badly.
Khelvaster wrote: and since his comment was fairly short, he wouldn't have committed himself that much. Speaking of comittment, he's switched his vote around a suspiciously large number of times.
I don't take much stock in random voting.
If I were a mafia, I'd be bouncing my vote around as many people as possible, and then if someone who I voted for was falsly accused of being mafia, I could switch my vote back to that person without seeming overly suspicious. However, since that wasn't happening, you decided to take advantage of Riley's random and go after me, since I pointed out a bw, and you thought you could exploit that statement.

I'm going to vote for you unless you have any defence to this--I don't see any at the moment, but it could just be me making a colossal error. I'll give you one chance.
Lag actually does exist in real life. For proof, look no further than Jesus: When he died, it took him three *days* to respawn.
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Post by beanbagboy »

I think Khel is being sincere, and I didn't really see much of a case against him.

Bob still hasn't really answered my last question, I'll leave my vote on her.
Meh... I got distracted by something shiny, leaving MS. Possibly returnage soonfuls.
MightyFireball
MightyFireball
Goon
MightyFireball
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 pm

Post by MightyFireball »

Any reasonable townie would want to quick-lynch someone who he thought was mafia.
Not unless said townie was absolutely sure that said person was Mafia. If it turned out the person was innocent, the townie would probably end up getting lynched, which would not be good for the town.
If I were a mafia, I'd be bouncing my vote around as many people as possible, and then if someone who I voted for was falsly accused of being mafia, I could switch my vote back to that person without seeming overly suspicious.
Well, since that's generally accepted as scummy behaviour, I would just as soon say that it wouldn't be done by a scum member. That statement doesn't seem like hardcore evidence of pickem's guilt.
[color=orange][b] MIGHTYFIREBALL [/b][/color]
[color=green][i]An optimist believes that the world is as good as it can be Unfortunately, a pessimest believes the same thing; War is not the answer[/i][/color]
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

Khelvaster wrote: That's my point. You saw me as an easy target, but waited until someone else voted for me first before trying to instigate a bw.
I saw an opportunity to get out of random voting, and my vote (at the time) was the only one with any justification at all.
Khelvaster wrote:That is an illogical statement. Since you voted for me and provided some justification, no matter how bad that justification was, it's reasonable for us to believe you were intending to implicate me as being mafia.
I voted to evoke a response, and get out of random voting.
At the time
you seemed like mafia.
Khelvaster wrote:Any reasonable townie would want to quick-lynch someone who he thought was mafia. However, you said you were not out to quick-lynch me. Thus, your statement contradicts itself. If you were an honest townie, you wouldn't be contradicting yourself that badly.
I voted to evoke a response, and get out of random voting.
Call me unorthodox.
I like discussion, and my vote (along with others) has sparked that discussion, so we don't only get info for today, but find connections that we can use later on.
I'm still not out to quick lynch you, and I have never said I wanted to.

Khelvaster wrote:If I were a mafia, I'd be bouncing my vote around as many people as possible, and then if someone who I voted for was falsly accused of being mafia, I could switch my vote back to that person without seeming overly suspicious. However, since that wasn't happening, you decided to take advantage of Riley's random and go after me, since I pointed out a bw, and you thought you could exploit that statement.

I'm going to vote for you unless you have any defence to this--I don't see any at the moment, but it could just be me making a colossal error. I'll give you one chance.
If I were mafia= SCREAMS WIFOM (EWWWWW)
I'm not sure how I used a random vote to start a bw, when clearly he said it was random, and I've said it was to get out of random voting. And when I don't take stock in random voting (as you apparently do)

I would like to let you know, you are far from being lynched.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 1:13 pm

Post by beanbagboy »

Khel is being weird now. I'm looking at the quotes... they could be a newbie mistake, but I think it more likely that he's scum trying to cover up. The more he talks, the more he stumbles: all that WIFOM stuff. I will
unvote: Bob
for now, and rethink this. Khel... I don't know, the more he talks the more it seems like he slips up.

I want to hear more from him.
Meh... I got distracted by something shiny, leaving MS. Possibly returnage soonfuls.
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: Cannot be disclosed, as it would jeapordize my mission

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Post by kabenon007 »

khelvaster wrote:Anyway, this is my first mafia game over forums. I've played a few times before on mIRC, but never in this format. I was trying to get the game moving in the beginning, and the way we generally do it on mIRC is to bw a random person after a couple minutes of talking. I figured that things would be the same here, so I was pointing out bws that were developing. I realized after reading some posts that it was being really scummish to point out bws, so now I've stopped.
If this is the case, why did you wait until now to use this in your defense? I still will not vote for you, I want to hear more on this from you and others first.
khelvaster wrote:I still go to school--I came on last night, and I'm on again. Does getting on every 18 hours make me inactive? If so, I'll go ahead and let the mod kick me for inactivity now, before I lag the game, causing it to collapse in a sea of lethargy...
Getting a little defensive are we?
I put the "laughter" in manslaughter.
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 1:40 pm

Post by beanbagboy »

:goodposting: I would post more but I have to take a shower now.
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

Out of curiosity what is "all this WIFOM stuff?" More specifically, what is WIFOM?
Lag actually does exist in real life. For proof, look no further than Jesus: When he died, it took him three *days* to respawn.
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 4:08 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

kabenon007 wrote:
khelvaster wrote:Anyway, this is my first mafia game over forums. I've played a few times before on mIRC, but never in this format. I was trying to get the game moving in the beginning, and the way we generally do it on mIRC is to bw a random person after a couple minutes of talking. I figured that things would be the same here, so I was pointing out bws that were developing. I realized after reading some posts that it was being really scummish to point out bws, so now I've stopped.
If this is the case, why did you wait until now to use this in your defense? I still will not vote for you, I want to hear more on this from you and others first.
You can see that I registered for these forums May 5--I was pointing that out because I hoped I wouldn't need to admit to being new to this forum. Admitting that means that people will pay me a lot less attention when it comes to making decisions, and I am confident enough in myself to see who seems like he is and isn't mafia.
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Post by kabenon007 »

no, no, not claimed newbie defense, I meant use the fact that in mIRC mafia you bandwagon earlier, if you had brought that up right away, you might have avoided some suspicion. The fact that you left that part out for awhile leads me to suspect that it is just a tale. It could be true, but it could also be false.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 4:17 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

Khelvaster wrote:Out of curiosity what is "all this WIFOM stuff?" More specifically, what is WIFOM?
http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=WIFOM

Wine In Front Of Me.

That link explains it.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 4:53 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

Saying in mIRC we bandwagoned early would imply that I am not used to the scum forums--something I wanted to avoid for reasons I already stated.

I'm sorry for using the WIFOM argument--I had no idea it was so frowned upon.
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 4:55 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

And by the way, since unnanounced 18-hour silences are apparently suspicious, I will
announce
that I am going to school tomorrow, and I won't be home until around 6:00. Happy? :P
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 5:42 pm

Post by kabenon007 »

khelvaster wrote:Saying in mIRC we bandwagoned early would imply that I am not used to the scum forums--something I wanted to avoid for reasons I already stated.
No, it would not imply that. One could have played there in mIRC, and then merely switched to here and played a few games, but still use the same basic strategies.
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Post by kabenon007 »

I really wish we would here from some of the quieter ones, such as Aimee and d8P. Maybe just one post? Come on, we won't bite... hard :wink:. Oh, and Khelvaster, going to school is unacceptable! Please refrain from going anymore. :mrgreen:
Copp├â┬®lia
Copp├â┬®lia
Goon
Copp├â┬®lia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Post by Copp├â┬®lia »

beanbagboy wrote: @Bob: Three votes is a bandwagon (albeit a small one), IMO. If you look on the MafiaWiki you'll see that the third person on a bandwagon is very likely to be scum. Granted, these numbers were found a long time ago, but they still have truth to them. I still think you're overreacting a bit to something that's kind of small, and I think you're overreacting to me, too. I haven't seen you play as scum before so I can't tell by meta game (although you have a lot to go off of, lol) but this doesn't seem like what you normally do.
You know, the very first mafia game I ever saw (I was a bystander then, not a participant) brought up the three vote=SCUMTELL! argument. It's actually how I found my way here....here's what I think about it. If we're in a game where 4 votes=lynch, a third vote is probably pretty attractive to scum, because it tips someone over into real danger of a lynch, but you don't have to be the one to hammer. I still don't know that I'd believe it was a scumtell even then, for two reasons: a) someone's got to cast a third vote- is it really always mafia? I don't think so and b) uh, scum read the wiki, too.

In this game, three votes is not even half of what it takes to lynch. I don't feel it places any real danger on a player, but hopefully it does place pressure. I'm still comfortable with my vote.

as for metagaming- well, I'll say this: I learned a lot in our first game here. You'd better believe I'm playing differently- hopefully, as a stronger player. Normally I try not to say this, but if you take a look at the other games I'm in now, you might see my behavior in them is pretty consistent across the board.

oh, and as for metagaming you? Hee, hee- Beeb, I wouldn't dream of trying. I've only seen you play one side! I clicked the 'reset' portion of my brain for your playing style when this game started.

@Khelvaster-I think you're being far too defensive, with that last post being totally unnecessary. Sometimes, scum lurk, especially newbie scum. It's not a crime to wonder where someone is when they haven't posted in a day, to make sure they're not lurking.
Khelvaster wrote:That is an illogical statement. Since you voted for me and provided some justification, no matter how bad that justification was, it's reasonable for us to believe you were intending to implicate me as being mafia.
pickem's already addressed this, but I wanted to let you know that your interpretation of his actions is not unanimous across the board. With have very little, if any, evidence to go on in D1. By your logic, we would never vote at all. You find things that ping your scumdar, then you start asking questions. Sometimes you base your vote on those reactions, and sometimes you vote to get a reaction. We've certainly gotten one from you, haven't we?

Here's my summation of your posts today: Posts 94-96 seem very confident, with you naming three suspects and giving some reasoning on why. You make a point to tell us you play in mIRC sometimes. In Post 100, you're even aggressive. And even when I didn't agree with some of the reasoning you laid out, I found this attitude normal and fine. Some players ask questions, poke at your theories- then in 107, you're asking a question about mafia terminology and announcing your newbie status in 108, even directing attention to when you joined. Then in 111, you say:
Khelvaster wrote:Saying in mIRC we bandwagoned early would imply that I am not used to the scum forums--something I wanted to avoid for reasons I already stated.

I'm sorry for using the WIFOM argument--I had no idea it was so frowned upon.
You say you didn't want us to know you were new to the forum, even though- as you yourself pointed out to us, we can plainly see when you joined every time you post. You say the reason you didn't want us to know is your confidence in catching scum, and that we wouldn't pay as much attention if we knew.

The only time you've offered any observations on other players is today, though, and your very first comment is that mIRC one. So- did that strategy not last long? Unless your strategy was to 'play the newbie card' all along, and we were, as you say, meant to gather from that frist post today that you were new.

Bottom line: I could go either way with you at this point. You did display that confidence in your posts that you talked about- I could see you as being town at this point. But I could also easily see you as using the 'I'm new' defense to cover a multitude of sins. I also dislike your overdefensiveness.
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2007 9:03 pm

Post by d8P »

Hmm, clearly the two posts I made on the last page weren't enough for you, kabenon. Like I said, I try not too post too often on day one unless I have something valuable to add. Attacking one player's arguments against another because the logic is flawed or the interpretation is overly complicated is noble, but it results in defending a player without knowing their alignment. Unless there is good cause (suspicious amount of support for a weak attack, multiple players overlooking a flaw, etc), that's sloppy gameplay and just causes confusion in the ranks, imo.

As I said, I'm most suspicious of MightyFireball because he continues to go along with what is being said without any attempt to make his own analysis. That shows lack of interest. Yet he has quite a few posts.

Lack of interest in helping the town plus maintaining a high post count equals trouble.
[size=75]-POST NO BULLS-[/size]
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 1:06 am

Post by Aimee »

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't made a big post, but I will do tomorrow after my last final. I promise that! :D I don't need replaced, and I apologise for not posting, but finals are almost done and then I will contribute more.
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 3:23 am

Post by kabenon007 »

heh, I forgot that you play like that d8P. My mistake.
MightyFireball
MightyFireball
Goon
MightyFireball
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 3:53 am

Post by MightyFireball »

D8p, I did indeed make the first analysis of Khelvaster's post in which he incriminated pickemgenius. That analysis post was post number 102. It may not have been particularly elaborate, but it wasn't based off of anyone else's analysis. I'm not entirely sure if you missed that one, or if you just didn't think it was good enough to count.
[color=green][i]An optimist believes that the world is as good as it can be Unfortunately, a pessimest believes the same thing; War is not the answer[/i][/color]
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 4:12 am

Post by d8P »

No, MightyFireball I hadn't missed it, but I'm not saying it was not good enough, for goodness sake. I marked it down as unhelpful, which, to be fair, was a little harsh.

Mild attacks always worry me more than strong ones - I can't help thinking the defender and attacker are in cahoots, firing blanks.
[size=75]-POST NO BULLS-[/size]
MightyFireball
MightyFireball
Goon
MightyFireball
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 8:11 am

Post by MightyFireball »

Well, I generally don't want to appear too aggressive, lest someone think I was scum trying very hard to get an innocent lynched. I do see your point about mild attacks, but the opposite, overly aggressive attacks, are not without suspicion either.
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 9:49 am

Post by beanbagboy »

Augh. Talk about "life happens." I can't even read all this now, but I'll try to get on tonight if I can. (Papers, tests, etc.)

Sorry again.
Copp├â┬®lia
Copp├â┬®lia
Goon
Copp├â┬®lia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 10:02 am

Post by Copp├â┬®lia »

d8P wrote: Attacking one player's arguments against another because the logic is flawed or the interpretation is overly complicated is noble, but it results in defending a player without knowing their alignment. Unless there is good cause (suspicious amount of support for a weak attack, multiple players overlooking a flaw, etc), that's sloppy gameplay and just causes confusion in the ranks, imo.
This is a genuine question, not a criticism, because what you say makes a certain amount of sense to me. But- how do you hope the town will behave on D1? It seems to me that if we followed your example to it's logical conclusion, we'd have almost no activity the first day.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question here.
Like I said, I try not too post too often on day one unless I have something valuable to add.
How do you define valuable?
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 am

Post by beanbagboy »

Bobness wrote:You know, the very first mafia game I ever saw (I was a bystander then, not a participant) brought up the three vote=SCUMTELL! argument. It's actually how I found my way here....here's what I think about it. If we're in a game where 4 votes=lynch, a third vote is probably pretty attractive to scum, because it tips someone over into real danger of a lynch, but you don't have to be the one to hammer. I still don't know that I'd believe it was a scumtell even then, for two reasons: a) someone's got to cast a third vote- is it really always mafia? I don't think so and b) uh, scum read the wiki, too.

In this game, three votes is not even half of what it takes to lynch. I don't feel it places any real danger on a player, but hopefully it does place pressure. I'm still comfortable with my vote.
Okay, let's establish something here: I don't think it's the third vote in particular that makes you scummy, sorry if it sounded like that. What I was trying to state was that you seemed to be jumping on a popular attack with no real reason. Third vote is sort of a... erm, metaphor, if you will, for an attack on a person for no particular reason when they aren't close to being lynched but they're under fire from others.

It's not the danger, it's the fact that you're going with the popular opinion without any particular reason.
bobness wrote:@Khelvaster-I think you're being far too defensive, with that last post being totally unnecessary. Sometimes, scum lurk, especially newbie scum. It's not a crime to wonder where someone is when they haven't posted in a day, to make sure they're not lurking.
Khelvaster wrote: That is an illogical statement. Since you voted for me and provided some justification, no matter how bad that justification was, it's reasonable for us to believe you were intending to implicate me as being mafia.
pickem's already addressed this, but I wanted to let you know that your interpretation of his actions is not unanimous across the board. With have very little, if any, evidence to go on in D1. By your logic, we would never vote at all. You find things that ping your scumdar, then you start asking questions. Sometimes you base your vote on those reactions, and sometimes you vote to get a reaction. We've certainly gotten one from you, haven't we?
Even though we may disagree on other things, Bob is posting my thoughts exactly. Khel seems to be bringing up a lot of things that don't make much sense in his position, jumping all over people who attack him. Granted, we're only worsening it by suspecting him. I'm still not sold that he's scum, but I don't think it's all newbie yet.
d8p wrote:Hmm, clearly the two posts I made on the last page weren't enough for you, kabenon. Like I said, I try not too post too often on day one unless I have something valuable to add.
Until now, the case against him didn't seem strong, but that speaks miles to me. ANYTHING ANYONE posts on day one is valuable. You should know that. The point of day one is to talk about things and figure out who the scum are for discussion only. First days are often the longest on MS, and they can be the most important for discussion.
d8p wrote:As I said, I'm most suspicious of MightyFireball because he continues to go along with what is being said without any attempt to make his own analysis. That shows lack of interest. Yet he has quite a few posts.

Lack of interest in helping the town plus maintaining a high post count equals trouble.
Oh No you didn't! You're saying, in the same breath, that you're not interested enough to post as nothing's happened, but you say that someone else doing the same thing is scummy. That's not good. I don't buy it, d8p. Too hypocritical for my like.
d8p wrote:No, MightyFireball I hadn't missed it, but I'm not saying it was not good enough, for goodness sake. I marked it down as unhelpful, which, to be fair, was a little harsh.

Mild attacks always worry me more than strong ones - I can't help thinking the defender and attacker are in cahoots, firing blanks.
Even more incriminating, IMO. He asks MF for a reason, MF points out he started the frigging wagon, and d8p says that that's not good enough. Nuh-unh. That doesn't fly.

Bob: I don't get your last post, can I have a further explanation? I'm fried, papers, etc., so I don't have any more time to look it over.

Unvote: Bobness, Vote: d8p
for many, many reasons stated earlier. I think the whole thing is riddled with hypocracy.

I agree with Bob about Khel, but not enough to vote for him. Having said that:
FoS: Khelvaster

Also, MF and Bob: I don't think either of you are off the hook. It's entirely possible that you're bussing/being bussed by your respective possible scum buddies. IMSPNGMEOY (I've maybe sometimes probably not got my eye on you).

Oh, regarding MetaGames, Bob seems townie based on my previous completed game with her, but she could easily fool me.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”