Mini 425 Generic Western Mafia- Game over!

Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 11:27 am

Post by Guardian »

Peter, I was asking John, I wanted to see his reaction, and his defense. I didn't want the focus deflected from him onto my 'propoganda'. I think you're scum, so I say it. Sorry.
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Everyone,

My son has given me his strep throat infection, so I'm a bit incapacitated. I'll try to get in here and make a real post asap, but for now all I want to do is sleep :(

Sorry guys,

Vel/Rich
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
John
John
stuck wiht bad english
John
stuck wiht bad english
stuck wiht bad english

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 8:16 am

Post by John »

No, imnot onna take it. ill post within 24 hours. RL is killing me.
I'm not who you think I am. Unless you guess right. Then you know who I am.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 10:46 am

Post by gorckat »

I was outta town from my last post till last night. I'm gonna reread after dinner and see if there isn't a vote I can slap on someone before John's post.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 12:58 pm

Post by Thesp »

Raffles wrote:Scum-tells don't exist. Wiki testifies to this. Wiki tells you that tells should be taken as a guideline at best. And no one has updated mafia-tells until 2004. In my view, scum tells are so unreliable at catching a scum you might as well not use it. It's like a car that is almst guaranteed to break down on every journey it makes.

Then the best the town can do is to cooperate with each other until there comes a point the scums has to do something anti-town because it conflicts their interests too much. This is where rules of thumb like "LynchAllLiars" come from.
The premise of what you have written is absurd. Suppose I have seen, as I've played games through the years, that when someone says "rutabaga", then approximately 60% of the time, that player is scum. It's certainly not foolproof, but if this is my experience, it behooves me greatly to suspect anyone that says "rutabaga" that much more. (This is the principle of a "scum tell".) In my experience, I have seen things which are far more likely to be done by scum than by town, and I've seen some things which are far more likely to be done by town than scum. I draw on that experience to play, and I like to think I'm a better-than-average player for it. (Whether I actually am or not is another subject entirely.) You want to dismiss this useful tool all together.

Your premise of scum hunting is fundamentally flawed for a number of reasons. If the best thing the town can do is cooperate, why should anyone vote for anyone? Why in the world would scum even try to act anti-town during the day? What in the world would it benefit them, since the town is already neutered in its ability to find scum (since scum tells are so unreliable we're random-lynching
at best
)?

This is also to discount the enormous discussion on what actually is anti-town and what is not. I don't think you've even reached the place where you can discuss that. You have miserably failed in your endeavor here, and I suggest you seriously rethink how mafia is actually played. You'll find that tells do exist, even if they're not foolproof. :shock:
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
mustafa15
mustafa15
Goon
mustafa15
Goon
Goon

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 pm

Post by mustafa15 »

Raffles wrote: Scum-tells don't exist. Wiki testifies to this. Wiki tells you that tells should be taken as a guideline at best. And no one has updated mafia-tells until 2004. In my view, scum tells are so unreliable at catching a scum you might as well not use it. It's like a car that is almst guaranteed to break down on every journey it makes.
I agree with Thesp that this is total bs. If every mafia player was perfect, then this would be true, but people screw up plenty. Certainly, there is no such thing as a guaranteed scumtell, but there are certainly scumtells.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 pm

Post by gorckat »

vote: paradoxombie

His reasons for voting Guardian were piggy-backed on other's reasons. He said they all blended together.

When pushed, the only one he put forth specifically was that being vocal is a scum tell (which conveniently clears himself since he has not been notably vocal), but says that reason is arguable.

He says his reasoning is pretty airtight (but the one point he elaborates on is arguable...) but his mind could be changed...

He also set up the "Whoops- he wasn't scum" Day 2 by saying he's "...not very certain you're scum..."

Too wishy-washy and fence-sitty of a vote for me.

His vote did move to Avinyl briefly, but I think that was when several people were starting to look towards Avi when he wasn't posting.
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 6:14 pm

Post by Guardian »

In dramatic Thesp style:
Paradoxombie and Peter are scum. Gorckat and Occult are probably not. Thesp might be a good candidate for third scum. Mustafa might also. Right now I'm really comfortable with either a Peter or Paradox lynch, though.

I am not posting my thoughts on John 'til he responds.
Do not lynch me.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 8:15 am

Post by Raffles »

Whole basis of scum-tells are based around people making certain types of mistakes. I've seen plenty of people making scum-tells when they are town. And as much as you can blame this on individual, if the whole premisis of lynching someone is based on using scum-tells, then this is not a very efficient strategy, riddled with mislynches. Then the better strategy would be to make the conditions unfavourable to scums, by townies acting to conflict the scum's interest, until they fall off like a piece of scab.
Woof!
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 10:42 am

Post by Guardian »

I am going on vacation starting tomorrow; I PM'd Sefer that I need a replacement... Sorry I've got to go guys, it was fun playing with you.
Do not lynch me.
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 10:47 am

Post by Guardian »

ebwop: For my replacement's benefit, I would like to unequivocally say that I am pro-town, by the way.
Do not lynch me.
Sefer
Sefer
Goon
Sefer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Post by Sefer »

Ninth official vote count:

Thesp(2): John, Raffles
Peter Venkman(2): Guardian, Avinyl
Guardian (2): Vryklan, Paradoxombie
John (2): Thesp, Peter Venkman
paradoxombie (1): gorckat
Avinyl (1): mustafa15

Not voting: Occult, Vel-Rahn Koon

12 alive, 7 to lynch.

I've noticed posting has slowed down. I've been trying to hold off until I found a replacement, but I'm going to place a
Deadline
for nine days from now. I'll do my best to have someone replace in by that time, and I my consider modkilling one or both if I haven't found replacements.
[url=http://www.greylabyrinth.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?p=419266]Sign up for theHeroes Mafia Mega at Grey Labyrinth[/url]
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 12:56 pm

Post by Thesp »

Raffles wrote:Whole basis of scum-tells are based around people making certain types of mistakes.
This is the part of your argument that is wrong. Since it appears the rest of your argument is based upon his premise, I've essentially ignored the rest of your argument as inconsequential.

Scum-tells are based upon scum doing things more often than townies doing things.
They're not even necessarily
mistakes
, per se, it's simply an indication that the person who uses them are more likely to be scum. Suppose it was demonstrated that red-heads are 10 times more likely to have cancer, and you know this fact. Then, suppose you're put in a room and asked to identify the one person in the room who has cancer.
Ceteris paribus
, you should choose the redhead. It's much the same with scum-hunting - you look for things which you've seen scum as actually more likely to exhibit, and try to get them lynched, because they're actually more likely to be scum.

I'm really having a hard time seeing how and why you're arguing against what is at its heart a scientific principle.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Post by Thesp »

Also, while I'm happiest to see John swing, I will switch my vote to prevent a lynch of either myself or Guardian.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Post by Guardian »

packing furiously - since I wasn't able to wait until John responded, I'll say that while I was trying to bait him and wanted to wait and see his reactions, I don't particularly think he is scum. He might be though. I reserve judgment.
Do not lynch me.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Post by gorckat »

Has John posted on any other weekend? I know some people only have access from work...he's notaby late on a defense/rebuttal he promised.

pokes a Stick of Suspicion in John's hidey-hole
Sefer
Sefer
Goon
Sefer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Post by Sefer »

pickemgenius replaces Guardian, effective immediately. I've chosen to replace Guardian instead of Vryklan because I feel it will disrupt discussion less (since Guardian has been active while Vryklan has not been part of discussion for some time).
[url=http://www.greylabyrinth.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?p=419266]Sign up for theHeroes Mafia Mega at Grey Labyrinth[/url]
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 10:34 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

reading 18 pages is so damn boring.
atleast about 3 solid hours of reading and its 4:35 a.m. (central)

I am in no hurry, like Guardian was.

Oh yea, I think I need a mandatory, Yo, hey everybody. So there.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2007 2:51 am

Post by Thesp »

Mod: Deadline extension request, please.
Thanks!
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Sefer
Sefer
Goon
Sefer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2007 4:34 am

Post by Sefer »

If the deadline gets close and either I feel that town have increased their discussion enough to warrent an extension or I've gotten a replacement that will need more time in order to catch up then I will extend the deadline, but I don't see the need for an extension when it's still over a week away. If anyone sees a particular need for an extension at this point, feel free to post reasons here or PM me privately.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2007 6:04 am

Post by Occult »

I'll wait for XXX's post before I say anything about the deadline.

John?, John?, John?, John?, Not Here?

Bueller? Bueller....
Sefer
Sefer
Goon
Sefer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2007 11:04 am

Post by Sefer »

CrashTextDummie replaces Vryklan, effective immediately. That brings us back up to full again!

I'll be prodding Avinyl since he hasn't posted in over a week. Let me know if you feel anyone else needs prodding (I'm inclined to wait til after the weekend is over before determining if John needs a prod).
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2007 11:30 am

Post by CrashTextDummie »

Hello, I'm here to replace.

I'll do a readthrough tonight and will be back with initial impressions later.
[i]Mgm laughed nervously, his cheeks flushing in the faintest of blushes. "Patrick... I only wanted to be with you... that's why I put the game to night, so Glork would get killed."[/i] - the heartwarming conclusion of Face to Face Mafia
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Post by CrashTextDummie »

I want to lynch mustafa15 or Vel-Rahn Koon, preferably the former. A John lynch would be acceptable at deadline. Paradoxombie also has a better than average chance of being scum.

These are just my initial thoughts after a first readthrough. I'll have something more substantial after a reread.

unvote, vote: mustafa15

A couple of questions:

Vel-Rahn Koon - how many scum are in this game?
Thesp - anything you'd like me to adress?
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

Paradox, some of the things you've said have rubbed me the wrong way.

Paradox wrote:I'm starting to go totally WIFOM. My reasons for voting Guardian are no different from any of yours

You are totally going WIFOM, nuff said.
Paradox wrote:You've been extremely vocal, which is a pretty scumy tell for a fairly new player, imo.
IMO discussion=good.
If a new player wants to learn by being vocal, then how is it scummy?
Paradox wrote:Im more inclined to vote pro-town and learn what I can from your death than vote for someone who barely posts and learn nothing whether they are scum or not
I'm more inclined to vote pro-scum, and win.
Paradox wrote:I'm not gonna learn much more today without going WIFOM. So I've settled on you
Don't ever settle in this game. You've already said you're going totally WIFOM.
Guardian wrote: ebwop: thanks John and I agree, zombie please explain in
your
own words
your
reasons for your vote on me. I'm sure you have a new perspective on things.
Paradox wrote:Im not gonna point out individual situations, since they've all blended after 12 pages, so here's a more general explanation.
Yet, you asked Thesp on his Guardian is flamingly town quote.

If you're whole game plan is your vote on me, and you've basically said so, that's just weird.

Guardian wrote:Do you have anything new to contribute, on me, or anyone in the game?
Paradox wrote: no, nothing sigificant.

Unvote

Vote: Paradoxombie
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”