[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6975 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6974, BBmolla wrote:2:5 with IC is pretty townsided, but it also gives Mafia incentive to not lynch the SK early which I think is pretty cool.
2:5 without the IC is pretty townsided for that matter when you consider its nightless at that point. I think 8:4 nightless got scrapped after town went something like 6-1 in it with only scum victory being a F3 one. Problem is its not going to be easy for scum to not only correctly peg the SK but also stop their lynch.

Im not sure how the setup gets MORE balanced, but I think it swings pretty hard depending on how long the SK lasts. If the SK goes in the first few days, town have the edge. If the SK hangs around late, scum have the edge. Its simple, its fair, but its swingy.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6976 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I won 8:4 nightless after my buddies got lynched the first four days #bragging

Well if you have ideas, shoot.

See, there's also the issue of if Mafia lynched d1, and then mafia killed n1, and then SK kill gets blocked by doc, it is now auto lose because there are two ICs.

Could just make SK non-compuslive, easy fix.

More interestingly, maybe if an anti town faction is eliminated within the first two days(d1, n1, d2), the Town Doctor commits suicide?

Nah that's too punishing to the town for doing something good, I take it back.

I think SK should be non-compulsive though.

1-2-1 endgames should also probably be clarified as a mafia victory.

Could do something janky like "If Serial Killer is lynched day 1, Mafia recieve a one-shot nightkill."

Edit:
Baby Enough Scum 8P

1 Mafia Doctor
1 Mafia Goon

1 Serial Killer
1 Town Doctor
4 VTs

• Daystart
  • The mafia team do not possess a nightkill
  • Serial Killer may choose not to kill.
  • If the Serial Killer is the first person to die, Mafia recieve a 1-shot nightkill.
  • Serial Killer wins 1-1-1 endgames and 1-1 endgames.
  • Mafia wins 1-2-1 endgame.

This may encourage no lynching day 1, something I am relatively okay with considering they're giving the SK a nightkill? (Admittedly, one that might fail, but eh)
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6977 (ISO) » Sat May 10, 2014 9:04 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Maybe +1 VT and change the goon to One Shot Vig?
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Desmond_13
Desmond_13
Townie
Desmond_13
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6978 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 5:32 am

Post by Desmond_13 »

I have a questions. I am a new member, obviously. There are about 10 or so people that would like to join a new community in one that we were previously in. We have game ideas, games read to run, and all that jazz. Is there a sub community where we could run on perhaps or how does it work? Thank you for your time!
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #6979 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 am

Post by Ether »

I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking, but if you're looking for a place to play games with these ten people all the time, you might want to just start your own forum for that.

To mod a game on 'Scum, you'll need to stick around a few months, play at least one game, get your setup reviewed, and wait on a queue with other would-be mods for a while. There isn't a private spot you can go to on this site to only play with your friends, or only play with your friends with no delay. (Although you could arrange for all of them to be online at the same time and sign up when your game is up, in which case, all power to you.) First- and second-time mods are also restricted in the kinds of games they can run--and that's a good thing, frankly.

Anyway, this isn't really the thread for that. Unless you have a setup that's fully public knowledge before the game starts, and you want people to look over it, in which case this is the thread for that.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6980 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 9:06 am

Post by BBmolla »

Guns and Betrayal

12 Players

2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Traitor Cop

1 Town Doctor
1 Town Macho 1-shot Vig
7 VTs

• Daystart
  • If Mafia target traitor for a nightkill, the kill fails.

Running a game night on Friday, brainstorming setups involving traitor.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #6981 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 4:52 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'm baaaaack.

at the mountains of ebony and ivory2 Goons.
11 Townies.
  • All players have two votes: Ebony to attempt to lynch as normal, Ivory as a protective/preventative. Ivory-votes will subtract one from a person's Ebony-vote total.

• Lynches require a MajorityTM of Ebony votes rounded DOWN, excluding the voted player (unless they go insane and Ebony-vote themselves). So for Day One, the lynch threshold is 6/12, not 7/13. One Ivory vote will functionally change it to 7/12, like normal.

• Deadline will be 13 RL days, after which the lynch threshold is reduced by 1 for each RL day. Yes, that does mean you can lynch more than one person if you're careful (both get 5, forex). This also should avoid the endgame hell of round-robin Ivory-votes.

• If anyone has a MajorityTM of Ivory-votes at the end of a Day, they will be Bulletproof the following Night.

Holes? Tweaks?
Retired as of October 2014.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6982 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 10:48 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

By the end of day 1, everyone except for the towniest player gets ebony-voted by the player below them in the playerlist. Ivory votes all go to the towniest player in case scum are right next to each other. Wait until the lynch threshold is 1. Everyone dies except for the towniest!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #6983 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

If that's the way they want to play it, fine. Personally I doubt scummers have that kind of patience.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6984 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Probably the best strat
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6985 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 pm

In post 6983, Mr. Flay wrote:If that's the way they want to play it, fine. Personally I doubt scummers have that kind of patience.
I wouldn't want to play a setup that can be broken by waiting very long. What's wrong with plurality lynches and a special rule for ties?

Also, is the lynch threshold in 3p lylo 1?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #6986 (ISO) » Fri May 16, 2014 8:30 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Raising the MinimumTM to 2 should solve the problem.

And yes, if it gets down to 3/5p LyLo I'll revert to strict majority.
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6987 (ISO) » Sun May 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

In post 6973, LlamaFluff wrote:First instinct is to kill off the Ascetic for scum.

10:3 with two town PRs and one scum PR is already strong for scum, they do not need anything else. Only reason I im not immediately pushing for more town power is that you have two confirmed town and scum will have a very difficult time fakeclaiming JOAT in this situation.
Thanks for the commentary. I am making the changes and will be taking this to the review thread for some official evaluation as I feel this setup has the greatest chance of any of my setups to be run here.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6988 (ISO) » Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 am

In post 6986, Mr. Flay wrote:Raising the MinimumTM to 2 should solve the problem.
No, it just makes the problem twice as small. I'd advocate for 5 lynches on day 1. Again, what's wrong with plurality lynches and a special rule for ties?
Mr. Flay wrote:And yes, if it gets down to 3/5p LyLo I'll revert to strict majority.
In that case, I hope you drop the ivory votes in 5p lylo.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6989 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Post by pieguyn »

Choose your enemy

2 - Mafia goon
2 - Innocent Child
3 - VT

mechanic: pregame, scum chooses the 2 ppl who become ICs. they may only kill an IC the night after a scum lynch.

does smth like this exist already
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6990 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

Feels a bit townsided but I definitely want to play that.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6991 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Does the scum still have a kill that they can use on VT's if they don't die?

Either way it's townsided, 3P LYLO can only ever be a Goon, IC and a VT, it's just a matter of how many lynches the scum have to dodge in such a conf town heavy environment.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6992 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 6991, JasonWazza wrote:Does the scum still have a kill that they can use on VT's if they don't die?

Either way it's townsided, 3P LYLO can only ever be a Goon, IC and a VT, it's just a matter of how many lynches the scum have to dodge in such a conf town heavy environment.
yep

it does seem kind of town sided but ultimately it's up to scum who the person who has the deciding vote in LYLO is. but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it x_x
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6993 (ISO) » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Post by BBmolla »

7p is inherently scumsided regardless so I think it's pretty balanced.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6994 (ISO) » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

I think less pressure might be similar? 2 ICS, 3 VTs, 3 scum, scum only have a kill when they're lynched, whiteflag.

There's enough different about your setup though.
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6995 (ISO) » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Post by IceGuy »

Good Neighbors

2 Mafia Goons
7 Vanilla Townies

Nightstart (no kill N0), Daytalk.

Every Night, every player names another player with which they want to be in a neighborhood. Neighborhoods are then divided so that all wishes are granted (for instance: A names B, B names C, C names A, D names E, E names D leads to two neighborhoods, one with A, B, C and the other one with D and E). Yes, that means there can be a single neighborhood with all players in it.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6996 (ISO) » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:03 am

Post by TierShift »

If new neighbourhoods are formed, are the old ones erased or do they keep existing?

I think this is probably scum-sided, with scum just able to join the 'dangerous' hoods. It's pretty hard to correctly use hoods if you have no certainty of your neighbours being town.

Perhaps add a little town power that is not investigative, but helps preserve the town's strongest players, bodyguard/doc perhaps?
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6997 (ISO) » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:18 am

Post by IceGuy »

In post 6996, TierShift wrote:If new neighbourhoods are formed, are the old ones erased or do they keep existing?
The neighborhoods are formed anew each day. The old neighborhoods remain, but as locked threads.
I think this is probably scum-sided, with scum just able to join the 'dangerous' hoods. It's pretty hard to correctly use hoods if you have no certainty of your neighbours being town.
I expect town to somewhat direct the neighborhood assignment.
Perhaps add a little town power that is not investigative, but helps preserve the town's strongest players, bodyguard/doc perhaps?
I don't see a problem with that, but I'd like to hear more opinions on whether the game as it stands now is scumsided or not.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6998 (ISO) » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

It depends on how much power the neighbourhood gives. 7/2 mountaineous is fairly scumsided, right?

So if you get two/three town players who get a good read on each other d1 they get neighbourhoods with each other and they basically publicly state "don't join our neighbourhood." Anyone who does gets lynched, and you've got pseudo masons for a day.

Wait, does the NKed person's wish get granted? Say A targets B, B targets D, C targets A and D targets B, and A is Nked. How do the neighbourhoods resolve?
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6999 (ISO) » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:45 am

Post by IceGuy »

In post 6998, Siveure DtTrikyp wrote: 7/2 mountaineous is fairly scumsided, right?

So if you get two/three town players who get a good read on each other d1 they get neighbourhoods with each other and they basically publicly state "don't join our neighbourhood." Anyone who does gets lynched, and you've got pseudo masons for a day.
Exactly.
Wait, does the NKed person's wish get granted? Say A targets B, B targets D, C targets A and D targets B, and A is Nked. How do the neighbourhoods resolve?
Good point, didn't think of that. I would say that everything regarding A is ignored, so B and D end up a neighborhood and C ends up alone (i.e. doesn't get a neighborhood).

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”