[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #6900 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:58 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 6899, hayatoBL wrote:A lot of rules. But I would like to see a game where players have to convince others that they are scum for a change. Is there perhaps one already?

This one is probably imbalance, though. Advantage to scum, I think.
am i being dumb or does a townie lynch d1 mean an autoloss for town? i feel like i'm missing the point of the setup.
hayatoBL
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6901 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:08 am

Post by hayatoBL »

^No, it doesn't.

Town-lynch day 1 results in: 1 Goon, 1 Traitor and 1 Townie left in D2. (Since obviously Goon is not going to kill Traitor N1)

But this rule prevents mafia from winning after a D1 town-lynch:

*Mafia wins, when
all
Townies are dead.
(NOT when they only control 50% of the votes)

What will happen is this:

On Day 1, everyone(including mafiaso) will try to convince each other, that they are town like usual.

But if town was lynched D1, on D2 everyone(including townies) will try to convince each other that they are mafia. Hence the theme:
I'm
Town
Mafia!!
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6902 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:22 am

Post by BBmolla »

Lynch the traitor
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #6903 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Post by Hoopla »

oh, i see what's going on.
In post 6901, hayatoBL wrote:Town-lynch day 1 results in: 1 Goon, 1 Traitor and 1 Townie left in D2. (Since obviously Goon is not going to kill Traitor N1)
why not kill the traitor N1 though? Goon/townie/townie endgame is a 66/33 chance of winning for the goon, but a goon/traitor/townie endgame is a 50/50 chance for the goon, as he now has to convince the traitor he is scum and not the townie.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6904 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Post by Cabd »

From my understanding of the rules it looks like town might win a 1-1 endgame?
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6905 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 6903, Hoopla wrote:oh, i see what's going on.
In post 6901, hayatoBL wrote:Town-lynch day 1 results in: 1 Goon, 1 Traitor and 1 Townie left in D2. (Since obviously Goon is not going to kill Traitor N1)
why not kill the traitor N1 though? Goon/townie/townie endgame is a 66/33 chance of winning for the goon, but a goon/traitor/townie endgame is a 50/50 chance for the goon, as he now has to convince the traitor he is scum and not the townie.
the traitor should just self-vote in lylo
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6906 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

by which I mean 3p lylo
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #6907 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 6905, Bicephalous Bob wrote:the traitor should just self-vote in lylo
my understanding of the rules is that a 1-1 endgame with a goon/townie would result in a tie, as neither team has achieved their win condition and can't improve upon the situation. so, the traitor doesn't really gain anything by self-voting in lylo. the point still stands that the goon is better placed to not take the traitor into lylo anyway.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6908 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 6907, Hoopla wrote:the point still stands that the goon is better placed to not take the traitor into lylo anyway.
Eeeeeh. You kind of have to assume people can lynch better than random to think mafia is a game at all, and that reduces the 66% number but increases the 50% number, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual numbers worked out pretty even.
Taking a break from the site.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #6909 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Post by Hoopla »

that's not a bad point, but i don't think people are going to be much higher than random in a two day game. like, i agree the difference between the two endgames probably isn't as jarring as 66% and 50%, but i think you'd be silly not to take the goon/town/town endgame as scum.

although, i guess it could create some interesting wifom in lylo about what sort of player would kill/not kill the traitor.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6910 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 am

Post by chamber »

In post 6907, Hoopla wrote:
my understanding of the rules is that a 1-1 endgame with a goon/townie would result in a tie, as neither team has achieved their win condition and can't improve upon the situation. so, the traitor doesn't really gain anything by self-voting in lylo. the point still stands that the goon is better placed to not take the traitor into lylo anyway.
Wait, if 1-1 is a tie, doesn't the mafia have to take the traitor with him or the best he can do is tie?
Taking a break from the site.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #6911 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:16 am

Post by Hoopla »

not all 1-1's are a tie. the town's wincon is when the goon is dead.

goon/townie is a tie.
traitor/townie is a town win.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #6912 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:18 am

Post by Hoopla »

actually, i get what you're saying now.
hayatoBL
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6913 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:51 am

Post by hayatoBL »

In post 6909, Hoopla wrote:that's not a bad point, but i don't think people are going to be much higher than random in a two day game. like, i agree the difference between the two endgames probably isn't as jarring as 66% and 50%, but i think you'd be silly not to take the goon/town/town endgame as scum.

although, i guess it could create some interesting wifom in lylo about what sort of player would kill/not kill the traitor.
Looking at it percentage-wise, Goon should kill the traitor. But by doing so he lost two advantages.

Advantages of not killing the traitor:

1. Mafia has no reason to lie/pretend anymore. Now it's Town's job to deceive.

2. Mafia's job is to find the townest (the superlative) and lynch him. If Goon kills the traitor, he has to try to get people to lynch the 2nd-scummiest Town, since the scummiest town is already lynched D1. IMO doing the first is much easier than the second.

So, it's not necessarily more advantageous to kill the traitor. But we'll have to see. :D And also, what chamber said.
hayatoBL
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6914 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:07 am

Post by hayatoBL »

In post 6910, chamber wrote:
In post 6907, Hoopla wrote:
Wait, if 1-1 is a tie, doesn't the mafia have to take the traitor with him or the best he can do is tie?
I think it's fair that way. No? Dead goon = Mafia lose. Dead traitor = at most a tie.
HempHHH
HempHHH
Townie
HempHHH
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6915 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:56 am

Post by HempHHH »

Trouble in Sicily

Town

4 Vanilla Townies
1 Cop
1 Doctor

Mafia

3 Mafia Goons
2 Roleblockers

Thrid-Party

1 Serial Killer

Roleblockers can nullify the Cop and Doctor
The Serial Killer has One-Shot
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6916 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 am

Post by BBmolla »

Yeah, no.

5:5:1 is in no way balanced.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
HempHHH
HempHHH
Townie
HempHHH
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6917 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Post by HempHHH »

In post 6916, BBmolla wrote:Yeah, no.

Isn't The Serial Killer supposed to have a disadvantage though ?
Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6918 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Post by Leafsnail »

In post 6899, hayatoBL wrote:
I'm
Town
Mafia!!
I think the problems identified in this thread could be solved by
1. Making it so that the mafia can't kill the traitor
2. Making it so that the traitor cannot self-vote after they're revealed

The main issue remaining is that the traitor would probably want to jester day one, but that kindof seems like a natural part of the setup anyway.

This would also put the EV over 50% so there'd need to be a slight numbers shift or something, maybe make it 6 players instead of 5.

e: At 6 players the EV is 44%, which is pretty good. Although again bear in mind that the traitor basically wants to get lynched day one, which potentially screws up the purpose of this setup a bit.

e2: Also I forgot that 4p is different to 3p, you'd have to mess with the voting mechanics on day two as well if the traitor is alive
Last edited by Leafsnail on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6919 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6917, HempHHH wrote:
In post 6916, BBmolla wrote:Yeah, no.

Isn't The Serial Killer supposed to have a disadvantage though ?
That's not the issue, the issue is it is basically unwinnable for town.

Take a look at some setups on our wiki to compare numbers.
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... pen_Setups
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6920 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Post by Marquis »

lol how to balance

Royals2 Town "King" Masons (receive "Town Royal" role PM)
1-2 Town "Queen" Neighbors (receive "Town Royal" role PM)
1-2 Town "Prince/Princess" Lovers (receive "Town Royal" role PM)
X "Peasant" Vanilla Townies
[maybe a Town Universal Encryptor?]

1 Mafia "Queen" Neighbor (receive "Mafia Royal" role PM) OR 1 Mafia "Prince/Princess" Lover (receive "Mafia Royal" role PM) OR 1 Mafia Goon
2 Mafia Lovers

Spoiler: Role PMs
You are a Town Royal.

You know that <Player> is your twin Royal. They may be a "King" Mason (Town), "Queen" Neighbor (Town or Mafia), or "Prince" or "Princess" Lover (Town or Mafia). Only when you die will your specific identity, but not partner, be revealed.
You may talk with each other privately during the Night here: <url>
[opt: If the Town Universal Encryptor is alive, you may also talk there during the Day.]

You also have the ability to vote during the Day.

You win when all the Mafia are eliminated.
You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have the ability to vote during the day.

You are a Town Universal Encryptor.

As long as you are alive, all roles with private chat capabilities may talk during the Day.

You are a Mafia Royal.

You know that <Player> is your twin Royal, and is Town. They may be a "Queen" Neighbor (Town) or "Prince" or "Princess" Lover (Town). Only when you die will your specific identity, but not partner, be revealed.
[opt: If the Town Universal Encryptor is alive, you may also talk there during the Day.]

You know that <Player> and <Player> are Mafia with you, and are Lovers with each other.

You or one of the other Mafia may choose to kill someone during the Night. PM the Moderator your choice.

You win when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the Town, or nothing can prevent this from happening.
You are a Mafia Goon.

You know that <Player> and <Player> are Mafia with you, and are Lovers with each other.

You or one of the other Mafia may choose to kill someone during the Night. PM the Moderator your choice.

You win when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the Town, or nothing can prevent this from happening.
You are a Mafia Lover.

You know that <Player> is a Mafia Lover with you, and <Player> is a Mafia Royal/Goon.

basically i just wanted to play around with the idea of 3 town pairs (or 2.5 town pairs) where there's a slight obscurity to the role PMs. idk how it would work out in practice but hey gotta find something besides sleeping to kill time at 4 in the morning. also not sure about encryptor, or town-scum ratio??

gosh this is such a weird idea i d e k if open setup stuff yeah.
link in bio
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6921 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:17 am

Post by callforjudgement »

hayatoBL's setup has the same issues as SS3 does: none of the scum have any more information than the town does (they know they're scum, but that doesn't aid their gameplay in any way). This means that scum playing to their win condition looks indistinguishable from town playing to their win condition; the goal is just "get anyone else lynched", pretty much.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6922 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:35 am

Post by JasonWazza »

@Marquis's Setup.

First up it looks fun, but mafia can get fucked so damn easily.

Depending on the amount of peasants, the game may be broken by the pairs claiming, if 3 pairs claim, lynch from the non pairs, if 4 pairs claim, lynch between the pairs.

Other then this, if the Mafia end up being the Prince/Princess Lover's, they are relying on that townie actually being competent and not being lynched, as Town can lynch that person and still manage to kill Mafia.

Not to mention that even though it's a 3 man scum team, they basically act as a 2 man scum team due to the pairing, meaning that scum have a major disadvantage.

Though all this depends on the amount of peasants realistically.

EDIT: Also in the case that the Mafia goon is rolled, and lynched Day 1 the game is broken by having pairs claim and either be confirmed town (the mafia pair don't claim) or become confirmable town (have their partner lynched.)
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6923 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:42 am

Post by TierShift »

So the king masons do not know each others alignment?
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6924 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

Something like this? (Yes, 9-3 is considered unbalanced here.)

9 town neighbours
3 mafia neighbours

Thee are three neighbourhoods of four. There is one to two scum per neighbourhood (three is impossible). Each neighbourhood controls an ability: cop, vig, bodyguard (one person in the neighbourhood protects one other person). The mafia NK as normal.Neighbourhoods have daytalk, scum does not.

The game is built around the scum trying to manipulate the town abilities, for if they do, they will surely win. However, if the town controls the abilities, they should smash the scum.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”