Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Post by Umbrage »

so

um

I've been playing Dishonored

and uh

it's pretty cool
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 6, tanstalas wrote:Should I buy an xb1. My only concern is how far my consoles are from my screen. Anyone know how long kinect cords are?
why would you want one?

serious question - I have yet to hear one semi-good reason to buy an xbone from anyone
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Post by Umbrage »

then go for it I guess?

I mean if you've got the time and budget for playing ALL the games why not?

just be sure to smash Kinect with a hammer and you're golden
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (isolation #3) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Post by Umbrage »

Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (isolation #4) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 58, theaceofspades wrote:have abilities ever had cooldowns in elder scrolls? (i believe not but i dont' want to say dogmatically)
racial abilities and other specials typically have a limit of one day

but the mana system is so easily broken/abused - I can easily see Bethesda going 'fuck it'
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (isolation #5) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 68, Battousai wrote:But this is supposed to be a mmorpg, which means races and focuses should be balanced. I guess I'm just accustomed to cooldown with mmorpgs, as that is one of the main ways of controlling the balances.
don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled they're doing it

TES is actually a great franchise to make into an MMO since it's practically one already

if anything it'll be the PvP that kills it
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (isolation #6) » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Post by Umbrage »

GOT IT
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (isolation #7) » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Post by Umbrage »

so you can all sleep safe knowing I'm in control of nuclear weaponry
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (isolation #8) » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 95, Who wrote:I'm having trouble making decisions about black friday, can someone help me out?

The games I'm considering:
Assassin's Creed IV: Buy now for 35$ or wait a while until it gets to 20$.
Batman: Arkham Origins: Buy now for 30$ or wait a while until it gets to 20$.
Or wait until the GOTY/whatever edition comes out and goes down to 20$, sounds good.
Hitman: Absolution: Buy now for 10$ or don't buy.
What the heck it looks fun.
I heard Origins was shitty
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (isolation #9) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:28 am

Post by Umbrage »

SERIOUSLY ACTIVISION?

17% off COD Ghosts as a featured sale?

that's fucking ridiculous

bioshock infinite is 75% off

Skyrim went down to 8 bucks

even the old COD games are at least 15$

I keep meaning to give the franchise a proper chance, but every Steam sale is like this - everything else ranges from 50-75% off and CoD's lucky to get 25%
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (isolation #10) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Post by Umbrage »

I would but I've already got way too much shit to play.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #164 (isolation #11) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 163, Sudo_Nym wrote:The Wolf Among Us: Just did the whole first part in one sitting, cannot wait for the rest. Snow White's voice sounds wrong to me, but that's my personal hangup, I guess.
In post 160, theaceofspades wrote:i've been playing the stanly parable.......i'm afraid I don't get it.......I don't see what the hype was about

it was a bit funny, but no where near as good as people claimed
The Stanley Parable is supposed to be a huge metacommentery on "sandbox" games- the whole point is that you can theoretically do whatever you want, but you can't, because you can actually only do what it's been decided in advance you can do. Notice that no matter what path you pick, there's always narration- no matter how original you think your thinking is, you can really only do it because the developers decided in advance that you could. Stanley's whole deal before he begins the game is that he "pushes buttons, waits until the computer tells him it's time to push a button again, and then pushes the appropriate button," which is basically what gamers do. In the best ending, he basically gets freedom by persuing a life where he doesn't push buttons and doesn't get swept up in somebody else's story, but that in itself is hypocritically, because the only way to achieve true freedom is to slavishly do what you're told.

YMMV on whether the commentary is accurate or not, but that's the intention.
I was really interested in getting it at first, then I saw the trailer that talked about how it was his job to push buttons and I instantly guessed what the whole MESSAGE of the game was. Lost all appeal for me after that. I'm sick of games that are OMG SO META. I prefer just straight up weird shit like Braid or The Swapper.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #195 (isolation #12) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Post by Umbrage »

Walking Dead was great until
the moment I realized absolutely none of your choices make any difference to anything. At the very least your actions should've been reflected in Clem's character.
Clem was the best part, so I'm still kinda hyped for S2.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #198 (isolation #13) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 196, mikeburnfire wrote:
In post 195, Umbrage wrote:Walking Dead was great until
the moment I realized absolutely none of your choices make any difference to anything. At the very least your actions should've been reflected in Clem's character.
Clem was the best part, so I'm still kinda hyped for S2.
This is a valid criticism of the game. Keep in mind, however, that this was Telltale's first time allowing branching pathways in a story.
there doesn't need to be a ton of different routes, but some sign of the impact you're having would be nice

I actually thought that's what they were doing with Clem, and that her personality would be determined by the choices you made and how you treated her, it would've been really cool if the final choice of whether she shoots Lee was made automatically depending on how you played the game
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (isolation #14) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:19 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 204, mikeburnfire wrote:
In post 198, Umbrage wrote: Walking Dead:
I actually thought that's what they were doing with Clem, and that her personality would be determined by the choices you made and how you treated her, it would've been really cool if the final choice of whether she shoots Lee was made automatically depending on how you played the game
It actually is.
If you don't say anything, she will shoot or leave you based on your previous actions.
Interesting. The
silent
options give a pretty different experience it seems, which is pretty unusual really.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #238 (isolation #15) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:58 am

Post by Umbrage »

whether you rule over a kingdom or an empire I believe

does your country own other countries?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #244 (isolation #16) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Post by Umbrage »

How the fuck such an obviously shitty show got Joel McHale I'll never know, but holy fuck he saved the whole damn thing from being the most unimaginably stupid shit.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (isolation #17) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 245, Brandi wrote:that vid cuts out the best part!
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/1eyi ... -of-awards
(can't find it on youtube :/)
wow that's one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #254 (isolation #18) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Post by Umbrage »

OH MY GOD

so I'm a two best friends play fan and this got posted today:

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT

NO SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK

THAT IS SUCH SHIT

I've seen all their David Cage playthroughs and all the games are total garbage BUT HOLY SHIT THAT IS SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #256 (isolation #19) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Post by Umbrage »

I can forgive Juno, but now I think Ellen Page may soon reach Nicholas Cage levels of "great actor that likes incredibly shitty movies".
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #259 (isolation #20) » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:32 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 257, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 255, Natirasha wrote:Dude, Beyond: Two Souls is fucking hilarious. I forget who's stream I was watching when he got to the end and you can choose which of the four endings and one of them is with the inconsequential baby chick. Then everything post-credits is just so much lol.
Hey now I picked that ending and thought it was a pretty decent one until all the stuff that was tacked on at the very end. Was over the top and not needed. (With what this game has done in sales they're kidding themselves if they think it's getting a sequel.)
aside from the "oh hey now that we're super close to the end this scene that you never saw has actually been Dafoe's primary motivation throughout the whole game and is going to drive the ending sequence"

and the "yeah our plot revolves around condensers and how they're so rare and super tough to make with sciencey bullshit except for the Navajo who can just magic them into existence because they're a mystical people also magic exists in this world too apparently we'll never bring that up again though"

I could go on...
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #272 (isolation #21) » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:46 am

Post by Umbrage »

I highly recommend Trine 1&2 from the GOG sale. Beautiful graphics and fun puzzles.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (isolation #22) » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 285, Battousai wrote:
I get that they were going for a moral dilemma, save the girl or save humanity, but it would have been so much better if they changed the part where he's driving off with Ellie. When she asks him the if what he said was the truth about the Fireflies and they show how he escaped, instead of escaping that whole thing was his last thoughts, as Marlene shoots him and he watches her take Ellie back into the hospital
honestly the ending was the best part of the game

IMO, there's no moral dilemma. What Joel did was incredibly fucked up. He betrayed the only person he cares about, and the only person who cares about him. The final scene where he's talking about how Ellie would've liked his dead daughter was creepy as hell. It was completely the wrong decision, or at least the right decision for the wrong reasons. It was an awkward ending that left a bitter taste in your mouth, and yet it was completely in Joel's character. I mean seriously, how the fuck are you supposed to end a story like that? If either died it'd be a cheap attempt to make you feel sad, if both lived happily ever after it would've been a cheap and unrealistic conclusion, and if it was all for nothing you'd feel like you wasted your time. So they took the story somewhere uncomfortable. It's a brilliant move. They gave the player exactly what they wanted: Joel and Ellie become close and neither die, but maybe that's not such a good thing after all.

The problem lies in the main plot of the game.

OK so the whole reason for finding the Fireflies is because they can make a vaccine. Never mind that the government, as evil as they surely are, would be better equipped to make a vaccine. Never mind that the Fireflies and probably even the government would find it next to impossible to actually distribute said vaccine since most of the survivors automatically shoot anything that moves and the precious few vehicles that drive don't have working roads to drive on, not to mention the sheer logistical problem of physically making enough of the shit for everyone.

The basic problem is that a vaccine would be TOTALLY FUCKING USELESS.

I don't think the developers know what a vaccine is. It's completely different from a cure. A vaccine primes your body's immune system to prevent shit from infecting you in the first place. And, guys? IT IS SO FUCKING EASY TO NOT GET INFECTED. JUST DON'T WANDER OUT ALONE WHERE THERE ARE ZOMBIES, AND DON'T BREATHE IN HUGE OBVIOUS CLOUDS OF SPORES. Getting infected is the LEAST of the average citizen's concerns. They're worried about food. And ammo. And gangs with shotguns. And the government being dicks. They don't need a vaccine. They need people with big fucking guns to expand territory and get society back up and running. So there are spores, big deal. Joel's shitty gas mask deals with them easily enough, if they could do it in Metro 2033 they could do it here. A vaccine might be nice sometime down the road, but it's not going to save you from getting shot in the face, being eaten by a clicker, or starving to death. So the whole plot of the game, and the fateful decision made at the end, IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS.
Last edited by Umbrage on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #292 (isolation #23) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:30 am

Post by Umbrage »

holy shit I have absolutely no idea how that happened
In post 289, tanstalas wrote:
In post 288, Umbrage wrote:
I don't think the developers know what a vaccine is. It's completely different from a cure. A vaccine primes your body's immune system to prevent shit from infecting you in the first place. And, guys? IT IS SO FUCKING EASY TO NOT GET INFECTED. JUST DON'T WANDER OUT ALONE WHERE THERE ARE ZOMBIES, AND DON'T BREATHE IN HUGE OBVIOUS CLOUDS OF SPORES. Getting infected is the LEAST of the average citizen's concerns. They're worried about food. And ammo. And gangs with shotguns. And the government being dicks. They don't need a vaccine. They need people with big fucking guns to expand territory and get society back up and running. So there are spores, big deal. Joel's shitty gas mask deals with them easily enough, if they could do it in Metro 2033 they could do it here. A vaccine might be nice sometime down the road, but it's not going to save you from getting shot in the face, being eaten by a clicker, or starving to death. So the whole plot of the game, and the fateful decision made at the end, IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS.
Riiiiight. Well, so, a vaccine for something like AIDS would be useless as well right? You could abstain from sex, or you know use condoms, etc..
The goal we have in defeating AIDS is different from the goal in TLOU. We want to wipe AIDS off the face of the planet, and we have both the technology and resources to do such a thing in theory. In TLOU, they're trying to ensure humanity's survival and rebuild society. The spores aren't the problem. Getting bitten isn't even a major problem. The problem is the sheer number of things that want to kill you, coupled with the scarcity of supplies. In the future, it'd be nice to get a vaccine and start wiping out the fungus, but for now a vaccine doesn't matter since most people live in quarantine zones anyway, and unless someone conceals a bite solely to be an asshole to others, there's no chance of the rare infection spreading. It's not a priority, and even if it was there's no conceivable way to manufacture and distribute it. A vaccine would be good in something like TWD, because in that universe your best friend turning on you is a very real threat that could happen at any time. Not so in TLOU.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #294 (isolation #24) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:39 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 293, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 287, Battousai wrote:You won't come off thinking your character is a selfish asshole, for one. Or at least if you do, he's dead so screw him.

And this game it doesn't feel like you are Joel. It feels more like a movie of sorts, at least it did to me.
Spoiler:
There's a somewhat important plot point that comes from listening to the various recordings of the doctors talking about the infection as you go to save Ellie from the surgery. Basically that she was not the only person who was immune and even after doing the same surgery to several other immune people they still had no cure. (I forget how many but I think it was dozens?) I mean when you're looking at it from the perspective of Joel selfishly saving Ellie and denying the world a cure, acquiring that little nugget of information is huge in gathering perspective on what Joel is doing. He's not denying the world a cure, he's saving Ellie from certain death from a procedure that hasn't gotten a cure and was unlikely to. (Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.)

It's important perspective because it's the difference between denying a cure and saving Ellie from a senseless and fatal surgery.
that would be a good reason for saving her, but it's clearly not his motivation
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #297 (isolation #25) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:43 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 295, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 294, Umbrage wrote:
In post 293, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 287, Battousai wrote:You won't come off thinking your character is a selfish asshole, for one. Or at least if you do, he's dead so screw him.

And this game it doesn't feel like you are Joel. It feels more like a movie of sorts, at least it did to me.
Spoiler:
There's a somewhat important plot point that comes from listening to the various recordings of the doctors talking about the infection as you go to save Ellie from the surgery. Basically that she was not the only person who was immune and even after doing the same surgery to several other immune people they still had no cure. (I forget how many but I think it was dozens?) I mean when you're looking at it from the perspective of Joel selfishly saving Ellie and denying the world a cure, acquiring that little nugget of information is huge in gathering perspective on what Joel is doing. He's not denying the world a cure, he's saving Ellie from certain death from a procedure that hasn't gotten a cure and was unlikely to. (Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.)

It's important perspective because it's the difference between denying a cure and saving Ellie from a senseless and fatal surgery.
that would be a good reason for saving her, but it's clearly not his motivation
Spoiler:
I present it mostly because a large number of people who beat the game end up believing that Joel denies the world a cure through his own selfish motivations. In different circumstances he might have, but given the context of what was going on in the world there was no cure and probably never was going to be.
but we all know Joel would've done the same thing regardless

the Fireflies were infected and desperate assholes, yeah, but that doesn't make Joel the good guy - the only character who's consistently done the right thing is Ellie, and rather than let her act as the moral compass she was meant to be, Joel lies and traps her in a creepy partnership
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #299 (isolation #26) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 298, Battousai wrote:
If Ellie died, pretty sure Joel would have killed himself. Losing his daughter once pushed him to the edge, losing her again, albeit with a simile, would kill him.

He did it just for that reason, he needed someone to keep him going.
I think it was Kant who said something like "treating people as a means to an end, instead of an end in themselves, is an immoral action", and that to me is Joel's sin. He never saw Ellie as a partner, just as a goal. At first she had to be protected because he promised Tess, or because she was too important to give up on. Then she evolved into a surrogate daughter. But at no point did he want to protect HER, just the IDEA of her. He wanted Tess, a cure, the child he lost. He needed someone to keep him going, and she was conveniently nearby.

And that's why the narrative isn't completely focused on Joel, and why the player takes control of Ellie for a chunk of the game, including at the end. Because by that point the player knows Ellie better than Joel does. We watched her befriend a young boy before he turned, we helped her hunt for food, and we felt her anxiety while fighting David. We want to save Ellie because she's Ellie. Joel wants to save her because she reminds him of his daughter.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #325 (isolation #27) » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:45 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 324, CooLDoG wrote:someone hep me get decent at counterstrike. Thnks,
how I play counter-strike:
1. find server without any weird shit
2. pick whatever gun
3. freak the fuck out whenever you see an enemy
4. be extremely confused when you win
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #379 (isolation #28) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Post by Umbrage »

I really like L4D2, but it's hard to find players who aren't either totally new/awful or experts who take the game way too seriously - anyone here play regularly?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #390 (isolation #29) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:22 am

Post by Umbrage »

Bought Payday 1. Anyone still play?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #401 (isolation #30) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Post by Umbrage »

Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #413 (isolation #31) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:52 am

Post by Umbrage »

I wouldn't worry about it, they'll all be gone in a month anyways
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #420 (isolation #32) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 415, xRECKONERx wrote:Last chance sale. I'm debating on getting:

Dark Souls + Age of Empires 2
Payday 2
Tomb Raider

Can only get one... I'm very torn.
you should get Dishonored if you haven't already

...have I mentioned my intense love for Dishonored before?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #426 (isolation #33) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 421, xRECKONERx wrote:I "got it" awhile back to play through the first level, and I liked it. I just heard the main campaign was really short.
That's the beautiful thing, if you head straight towards the end you can finish it in one night, but you can spend a month on a perfect run. And then there's the DLC.

The first level is shit compared to the rest of the game because you don't have your powers or cool gear yet. Wait until you gain the power to stop time, possess an enemy to walk in front of his own bullet, then teleport away and summon a swarm of rats to eat the trail of corpses you've left in your wake. THEN you'll get what Dishonored is like.

And the voice cast includes Susan Sarandon, Wormtongue from LotR, and Mr. Blonde. And the music is done by the guy who did Dexter's soundtrack. IT'S FUCKING AWESOME IS WHAT I'M GETTING AT HERE.
In post 424, Zachrulez wrote:Dark Souls is still always the answer.
I regret buying Dark Souls. First off, the PC port is unplayable unless you install mods and do a ton of other tweaks. Even then, the game is extremely mediocre. The difficulty is literally the only thing going for it, and it's not even 'fun' difficult, it's 'trial and error' difficult.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #442 (isolation #34) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Post by Umbrage »

still better than that fucking train simulator thing
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #465 (isolation #35) » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 464, Maruchan wrote:the new LEGO: Marvel Universe game, has anyone else played it or tried it, and how is it? I was considering getting it for either PC or xbox 360
I have it, it's pretty fun. If you have a controller for PC, get it on PC, otherwise go for XBOX.

Flying controls are shit, but the rest of the game's solid.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #468 (isolation #36) » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 am

Post by Umbrage »

A kid I know has an absolutely shitty computer and he can run it fine with just some laggy cutscenes, so you're probably good.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #469 (isolation #37) » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Post by Umbrage »

Mark of the Ninja is on sale on Steam - get it if you don't have it people!
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #531 (isolation #38) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:48 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 529, Parama wrote:no, shut up, buy the entire thing right now, this is a fantastic bundle. excited to see if they can keep it up when games are added next week, but it's already more than worth the average price as is.
THIS

The Swapper is SO GOOD YOU GUYS

I play Monaco. Hit me up if you want a game.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #533 (isolation #39) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 am

Post by Umbrage »

BTW does anyone want my spare Monaco/Swapper?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #540 (isolation #40) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 534, xRECKONERx wrote:I've slowly come to the realization that maybe Bethesda games just aren't for me. I hear these stories of people losing themselves in the worlds of Fallout and Elder Scrolls for hundreds of hours... and I don't really get it, at all. I played the fuck out of Oblivion because it was like the first game I ever played after I got a 360 and new television, but the games lose their charm very quickly for me and I wind up never going back to them. There's just so much... NOTHINGNESS going on in them. I guess that open exploration is part of the appeal? I dunno, I don't really like it.
try Dishonored
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #547 (isolation #41) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 544, kuribo wrote:
In post 540, Umbrage wrote:
In post 534, xRECKONERx wrote:I've slowly come to the realization that maybe Bethesda games just aren't for me. I hear these stories of people losing themselves in the worlds of Fallout and Elder Scrolls for hundreds of hours... and I don't really get it, at all. I played the fuck out of Oblivion because it was like the first game I ever played after I got a 360 and new television, but the games lose their charm very quickly for me and I wind up never going back to them. There's just so much... NOTHINGNESS going on in them. I guess that open exploration is part of the appeal? I dunno, I don't really like it.
try Dishonored
'power slide' is actually one of the most useful moves

jumping on enemies can work, but it's too weak to be a viable strategy
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #549 (isolation #42) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 am

Post by Umbrage »

I've spent an obscene amount of time playing that game and I've never seen tiny head or the rock throwing thing.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #556 (isolation #43) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 am

Post by Umbrage »

ME3 was a great game, it just happened to be a great UNFINISHED game.

I've never been able to get into DAO. It's fun enough, just hasn't grabbed me like Mass Effect did.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #561 (isolation #44) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 am

Post by Umbrage »

In [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5702041#p5702041]post 557[/url], Nero Cain wrote:I'm like the only person that liked Jade Empire. DAO and ME is better but still enjoyed JE.
I have JE, and it looked cool but I couldn't handle the awful controls.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #570 (isolation #45) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Post by Umbrage »

I haven't played Witcher 1, and I feel really guilty about that.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #585 (isolation #46) » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 am

Post by Umbrage »

mass effect collection is on sale on Steam

if you don't have it a) wtf is wrong with you and b) buy it now
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #592 (isolation #47) » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Post by Umbrage »

always wanted to check that game out, can you play it on an emulator?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #599 (isolation #48) » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:56 am

Post by Umbrage »

episode 1 of S2 is good

400 days is kind of shit
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #601 (isolation #49) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:56 am

Post by Umbrage »

DOWNLOADING EPISODE 2 NOW

ANTICIPATING DA FEELZ
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #603 (isolation #50) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Post by Umbrage »

yeah I forgot too until I saw it updating

related:
GOD DAMMIT NICK I WANTED YOU TO LIVE YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #604 (isolation #51) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Post by Umbrage »

that's BULLSHIT Nick don't go on living when I think you're dead!
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #605 (isolation #52) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Post by Umbrage »

taking the watch was the RIGHT choice seriously?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #607 (isolation #53) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Post by Umbrage »

ok Luke dies, I'm calling this shit now: Luke dies in the worst way imaginable

no fucking way a character that's this much of a great guy is gonna survive the Season
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #608 (isolation #54) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:58 pm

Post by Umbrage »

NO. NO. FUCK YOU TELLTALE. THAT IS BULLSHIT.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #609 (isolation #55) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Post by Umbrage »

fucking Kenny...
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #610 (isolation #56) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Post by Umbrage »

so I lost Matthew, Walter, and Alvin, I think Alvin's was the only one that MIGHT'VE gone differently

also gotta love Telltale's LOOK WE HAVE GAYS IN OUR GAME OOPS THEY'RE DEAD NOW THOUGH
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #612 (isolation #57) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Post by Umbrage »

fuck that, Kenny should've made that shot

if Kenny doesn't die this season I will be so pissed

I mean I'll do all I can to keep him alive, but STILL

I'm thrilled that Carver is voiced by MICHAEL FUCKING MADSEN but yep, he's dead. Bonnie's dead too. NONE SHALL LIVE WHO'VE ANGERED THE GREAT AND BLOODY MACHINE OF DEATH THAT IS CLEMENTINE
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #616 (isolation #58) » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 am

Post by Umbrage »

he just let them eat Ben
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #620 (isolation #59) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:06 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 619, Jahudo wrote:
In post 612, Umbrage wrote:
I'm thrilled that Carver is voiced by MICHAEL FUCKING MADSEN but yep, he's dead. Bonnie's dead too. NONE SHALL LIVE WHO'VE ANGERED THE GREAT AND BLOODY MACHINE OF DEATH THAT IS CLEMENTINE
He's a great villain so far but the preview showed something like Clem and Bonnie smiling so maybe she's not so bad?
But yeah episode 2 is good.
oh I'm sure she's got some sob story about why she had to work for Carver and everything but CLEM DON'T CARE BOUT YOUR BULLSHIT

NOBODY STABS HER IN THE BACK AND LIVES TO TELL ABOUT IT

NOT UNTIL CLEMENTINE'S HANDS ARE STAINED WITH THE LIFEBLOOD OF HER ENEMIES SHALL THE URGE TO SLAUGHTER BE SATED
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #654 (isolation #60) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:38 am

Post by Umbrage »

Infinite seems to be a 'love it or hate it', since everyone I've talked to says it's either the best thing ever or absolute shit
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #660 (isolation #61) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Post by Umbrage »

Bioshock's combat is overrated.

graphically it's great, but it's really tough to see the enemies

and I found damage to be pretty random, sometimes I'd destroy everything with the grenade launcher, sometimes it did next to nothing

plasmids looked cool, but many were useless
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #676 (isolation #62) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 674, Chevre wrote:So I will be staying at my friend's for spring break, and they have a PS3, so if I were to rent Heavy Rain and dedicate at least 10-12 hours of play to it, would I get a good enough play experience?
Heavy Rain
good enough play experience

pick one
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #682 (isolation #63) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Post by Umbrage »

SHAUN

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUN

SHAUN WHERE ARE YOU

SHAAAAAUUUUUUUUN
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #687 (isolation #64) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 am

Post by Umbrage »

watch the Two Best Friends playthrough, infinitely more entertaining
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #692 (isolation #65) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:03 am

Post by Umbrage »

the Heavy Rain drinking game:

take a sip every time you hear an obvious French accent for a character who shouldn't have that accent
take a sip every time Madison nearly gets raped/murdered
take a sip every time
Shelby's inner voice says something that the Origami Killer would never think

take a sip every time Blake is a shithead for absolutely no reason
take a sip every time you see the amazing virtual reality technology being used for a stupid reason
take a sip every time you see split-screen multiple camera shots being used for no reason

WARNING: unless you're drinking a really weak beer you will die of alcohol poisoning
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #694 (isolation #66) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:38 am

Post by Umbrage »

you don't have Dishonored, that right there is a sin
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #709 (isolation #67) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 703, Kcdaspot wrote:and then i notice im in the lead for hours spent...

ye gods i really have no life.
I'm sure I'd beat you there, but I have a nasty habit of leaving a game running when I'm not playing, so it's really inflated.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #722 (isolation #68) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:24 am

Post by Umbrage »

http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrJinx/ ... nture-ep-1
http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrJinx/ ... -artifacts

^ if you haven't played those, check them out, they're good puzzle games that require you to think without being too hard to solve
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #725 (isolation #69) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Post by Umbrage »

btw STEAM SALE AND NONE YOU HAVE ANY EXCUSE FOR NOT HAVING ARKHAM ASYLUM AND ARKHAM CITY NOW
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #748 (isolation #70) » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:37 am

Post by Umbrage »

is Dead Island any good?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #751 (isolation #71) » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:34 am

Post by Umbrage »

I couldn't get into the original BG, the interface was too annoying and I couldn't get the resolution mod to work. Just go for the EE.

I guess it depends on whether or not you enjoy old games. It's worth it to try at least.

Of course if you want something REALLY statsy Daggerfall's free to download...
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #754 (isolation #72) » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:45 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 752, zoraster wrote:i played daggerfall back in the day.
you shouldn't have any problem with BG's interface then
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #758 (isolation #73) » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:20 am

Post by Umbrage »

also Monaco is awesome quit hatin brah
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #789 (isolation #74) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:45 am

Post by Umbrage »

For some reason, I want to get a fighting game. Problem is I know jack shit about fighting games. Also I only have PC. Injustice and Mortal Kombat look good, but I heard Street Fighter's better. I'm mainly concerned with n00b-friendliness and prefer solid SP/online play over local MP. Anybody have wisdom/advice/horror stories to share?
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #794 (isolation #75) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 793, bv310 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for a good Hack and Slash on PC? I'm thinking something along the lines of Dynasty Warriors or Monster Hunter. I need something mindless to fuck around with when I'm bored.
I've played Lords of Shadow and Darksiders. LoS is probably more mindless, it's got long and easy platforming sequences where you can just chill and enjoy the landscape view. It's easy to beat the game, but pretty tough to get 110%.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #796 (isolation #76) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am

Post by Umbrage »

Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #843 (isolation #77) » Fri May 09, 2014 7:07 am

Post by Umbrage »

Got Injustice. Friend me on Steam if you play.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #862 (isolation #78) » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 am

Post by Umbrage »

I'm guessing you've played Mirror's Edge? Otherwise I recommend Trine 1 and 2. They're not 3D, but they have plenty of collectibles, decent combat, and the visuals are fantastic.

If you're OK with something more combat-centric, I picked up Castlevania: Lords of Shadow a while ago and it was really enjoyable. Had a surprising about of platforming in it. Nothing difficult, but very enjoyable thanks to the scenery porn. There's a hell of a lot of replayability too, and the VA is great. That game gets an unfair rap.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #871 (isolation #79) » Thu May 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Post by Umbrage »

YO

MARK OF THE NINJA'S IN A HUMBLE BUNDLE

GET DAT SHIT
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #874 (isolation #80) » Thu May 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Post by Umbrage »

whoever told you it was Opposite Day was lying
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #880 (isolation #81) » Fri May 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 878, Parama wrote:if there are no days that are not opposite day, then necessarily he's saying the opposite of what is true
so there *are* days that are not opposite day, which means that he's not necessarily saying the opposite of what's true, but he could be
so every day is in a quantum state of being both opposite day and not opposite day
this assumes he's telling the truth

in reality he's just a dirty liar

Return to “The Arcade”