The New Set-Up Review Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #2500 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Post by Who »

Thanks for the advice.

My problem with Alarmist is that I don't think it will do much, especially if it's the only PR. It's a named townie so no matter what it has that, but given the cult and the polygamist, I think who is recruited will depend more on who the cult leader is than on any information the Alarmist has access to. It might deter the cult from any obvious town leader, but even if it does it's job perfectly callforjudgement is right in that all that does is force a slightly worse but not bad strategy.

What if I put in a mason group of 2? (Know that the other is not the cult leader, can talk to each other, can be recruited)
Then if the cult leader went without recruiting/waited too long, the masons would control the town and the leader would be in a bad position.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2501 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 2499, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 2497, JasonWazza wrote:Make a anti-cult doctor would be my suggestion (can block the recruit essentially) this gets rid of most of the problems with the setup in my opinion (can't bring LYLO a day ahead as easily, can't just recruit the towniest of the town.)
That role's called Alarmist, and I guess it would help (scum would be more inclined to recruit earlier than later if they knew their recruitment wouldn't be guaranteed, meaning choices would become more meaningful). However, the problem still remains that scum's best strategy is to recruit on N2 or not at all (with both having the same EV). If scum attempts to recruit on N2, then if it works, fine, if it doesn't work (say you hit an alarmed player), still fine, you just don't recruit and go for the solo win. And you still don't have a groupscum team until D3. The only real change adding an Alarmist does, then, is to increase town win rate slightly due to the chance that scum miss with their recruit when it's 1:3 or 2:4 overnight, a 33% or 25% chance respectively (recruiting successfully wins scum the game in those settings, so they have no reason to do anything but randomize their target, or aim for a claimed Alarmist if there is one).
I think it changes the optimal strategy more then what your giving it credit for, though it does seem to be very powerful at stopping the win from being a day early (is that even all that bad?)
In post 2500, Who wrote:Thanks for the advice.

My problem with Alarmist is that I don't think it will do much, especially if it's the only PR. It's a named townie so no matter what it has that, but given the cult and the polygamist, I think who is recruited will depend more on who the cult leader is than on any information the Alarmist has access to. It might deter the cult from any obvious town leader, but even if it does it's job perfectly callforjudgement is right in that all that does is force a slightly worse but not bad strategy.

What if I put in a mason group of 2? (Know that the other is not the cult leader, can talk to each other, can be recruited)
Then if the cult leader went without recruiting/waited too long, the masons would control the town and the leader would be in a bad position.
Alarmist also means more trust in the townies at all times (your not about to start distrusting the towniest guy because night just went by.)

The problem i see occuring with a masonry is basically, if you recruit one, the other is essentially recruited for you (because they would generally trust each other.)
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #2502 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Post by Who »

In post 2501, JasonWazza wrote:
In post 2499, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 2497, JasonWazza wrote:Make a anti-cult doctor would be my suggestion (can block the recruit essentially) this gets rid of most of the problems with the setup in my opinion (can't bring LYLO a day ahead as easily, can't just recruit the towniest of the town.)
That role's called Alarmist, and I guess it would help (scum would be more inclined to recruit earlier than later if they knew their recruitment wouldn't be guaranteed, meaning choices would become more meaningful). However, the problem still remains that scum's best strategy is to recruit on N2 or not at all (with both having the same EV). If scum attempts to recruit on N2, then if it works, fine, if it doesn't work (say you hit an alarmed player), still fine, you just don't recruit and go for the solo win. And you still don't have a groupscum team until D3. The only real change adding an Alarmist does, then, is to increase town win rate slightly due to the chance that scum miss with their recruit when it's 1:3 or 2:4 overnight, a 33% or 25% chance respectively (recruiting successfully wins scum the game in those settings, so they have no reason to do anything but randomize their target, or aim for a claimed Alarmist if there is one).
I think it changes the optimal strategy more then what your giving it credit for, though it does seem to be very powerful at stopping the win from being a day early (is that even all that bad?)
I would say it is bad if it turns endgame into a game of chance.
In post 2500, Who wrote:Thanks for the advice.

Alarmist also means more trust in the townies at all times (your not about to start distrusting the towniest guy because night just went by.)

The problem i see occuring with a masonry is basically, if you recruit one, the other is essentially recruited for you (because they would generally trust each other.)
If they knew the other could be recruited, why would they? I thought it would be more of a liability than an asset to recruit one because the neighbors aspect makes them more able to determine the other's alignment than that of a regular townie.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2503 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 2501, JasonWazza wrote:Alarmist also means more trust in the townies at all times (your not about to start distrusting the towniest guy because night just went by.)
OK, I agree with this, in so much as it would help make the town slightly less paranoid. I don't think it'd end the paranoia, though, due to the risk that the Alarmist was converted or picked the wrong player.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #2504 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Post by goodmorning »

I'd like someone to talk over a fairly simple closed 13p with.

It is loosely based on the switch mechanic and in some ways is a trial of a slightly larger and utterly insane game I hope to run at some point in the probably-distant future.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2505 (ISO) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

Need a reviewer (or 2) for a 13p setup based on Lunar Silver Star Story: Complete (the PS1 version)

Familiarity with flavor not required.

edit: thanks cabd, I'm good to go.
Last edited by borkjerfkin on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
beefycheese
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2506 (ISO) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Post by Edosurist »

I've got an idea for a
House of Cards
-inspired political thriller large game with numerous changes to the normal mechanics. I've never introduced a setup before, so I'd appreciate it if someone would help me design it/make it interesting while considering balance before I suggest it.

Thanks
The name's Edosurist. People call me Edos.
I'm back from hiatus (again), so please don't make me leave again (x4) by calling me
Edo
Edoist
(pronounced E-do-ist or e-DOIST? I'm not quite certain), or
Endoperson

Wiki (will eventually get updated) | Looking for a reviewer for a 24-themed (slightly) bastard mini.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2507 (ISO) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Hey, guys.
Me, yet again.

Looking for people to review a mini theme idea I have. Fairly simple mechanic and roles, so not a hard job. I basically just need an extra few set of eyes to help clarify and clearly define things so that there's no confusion/ambiguity when the game's run. (Also to tweak balance, since I only took my best guess at it.)
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
LeMidget
LeMidget
Goon
LeMidget
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2508 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Post by LeMidget »

Looking for a reviewer for a 9P with a neat little voting and night mechanic. Hopefully I'll get around to modding it here on Mafiascum.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2509 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Post by N »

I have designed a sequel to N's Notably Narcissistic Nonsensical Namesake. I need reviewer/s.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #2510 (ISO) » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:00 am

Post by GreyICE »

If someone wants to give my setup a final looksee, it's a Mini Theme that's 90% complete.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2511 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

Can someone review my setup and maybe be my comod?
It's a mini theme 95% complete. Also If anyone is familiar with "Going Postal" from Terry Pratchett could they help me with flavor?
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #2512 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:48 am

Post by Antihero »

I'm going to run another Antihero Mafia mini theme sometime soon. it's pretty simple and it follows normal mechanics. thanks in advance.

Still need this! thnx in advance. 4/3/14
Last edited by Antihero on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #2513 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Post by Titus »

I'd like a couple of reviewers for a mini theme. It's pretty far out there. So if you feel like you can review a wacky setup, but hate playing one, this is the perfect game for you to review!
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2514 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:12 am

Post by Kdub »

I'm looking for a couple reviewers for a ~17 player large theme based on the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games. I'd like at least one reviewer to have flavor knowledge, but it's not a requirement.

Edit: Got it, thanks borkjerfkin and Natirasha!
Last edited by Kdub on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
LeMidget
LeMidget
Goon
LeMidget
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2515 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Post by LeMidget »

In post 2508, LeMidget wrote:Looking for a reviewer for a 9P with a neat little voting and night mechanic. Hopefully I'll get around to modding it here on Mafiascum.
Need a new guy for this because old guy hasn't responded for a while. Please.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #2516 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Post by Varsoon »

In need of a reviewer/reviewers for;
Heroes of Might and Magic Mafia, 13player Mini-theme game.
Flavor knowledge not required.
I particularly need help with balance and how to run a game where players pick their flavor/roles.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2517 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Post by N »

In post 2509, N wrote:I have designed a sequel to N's Notably Narcissistic Nonsensical Namesake. I need reviewer/s.
Can I get another please?
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #2518 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 2512, Antihero wrote:I'm going to run another Antihero Mafia mini theme sometime soon. it's pretty simple and it follows normal mechanics. thanks in advance.

still need this
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Belisarius
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2519 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 am

Post by Belisarius »

In post 2518, Antihero wrote:
In post 2512, Antihero wrote:I'm going to run another Antihero Mafia mini theme sometime soon. it's pretty simple and it follows normal mechanics. thanks in advance.

still need this
I'll review this.

EDIT: Wow, thought I'd PM'd that.
Last edited by Belisarius on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #2520 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:32 am

Post by Empking »

Looking for reviewers (and a Back Up mod) for a small Pride and Prejudice Large Theme. Flavour knowledge is required*.

*Not to review the game, but just for life.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Mac
Mac
Mafia Scum
Mac
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2521 (ISO) » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Post by Mac »

Looking for reviewers for a 13p mini theme based on Prison Break. particularly balancing roles. Flavour knowledge probably not essential.

also looking for a backup mod too.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2522 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:06 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Looking for a reviewer for How Do You Want to Die? (Mini Theme, 13p). PM me if interested.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
undo
undo
Mafia Scum
undo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2523 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:12 am

Post by undo »

Looking for someone to provide an external perspective on a Large (16p) Normal setup I've prepared - not only regarding balance but also 'normalcy' issues.

Thank you!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2524 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 2523, undo wrote:Looking for someone to provide an external perspective on a Large (16p) Normal setup I've prepared - not only regarding balance but also 'normalcy' issues.

Thank you!
When you /in to the queue, you'll be assigned a review team from the Normal Review Group who'll look at that for you (always normalcy, also balance on request, and most people do make the request).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”