Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 649, bv310 wrote:At that price, it's a fantastic buy. Infinite's in my top 10 for favourite games I've played. Story on it's pretty great.
'lol'

Bioshock Infinite is a mess of a game that manages to be fun in spite of itself. $7.50 is about the perfect price for it.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 am

Post by Flameaxe »

Basically ^
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:25 am

Post by bv310 »

Meh, different strokes for different folks. I like Bioshock games, and I like having an AI companion who's not braindead. Infinite delivered on both fronts.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 am

Post by Natirasha »

I liked Bioshock 1 and 2, but Infinite just has so many issues in terms of every single mechanic and story element that it all comes together To make this huge, disjointed mess. But it's so disjointed that it turns itself around and manages to be fun again.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:38 am

Post by Umbrage »

Infinite seems to be a 'love it or hate it', since everyone I've talked to says it's either the best thing ever or absolute shit
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 am

Post by Chevre »

I've seen it played, I know the story, but I would still buy it at that price.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:23 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

>liked bioshock 2
>hated infinite

Wuttt
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:06 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I really enjoyed the
story
of Infinite, as well as the world. The problem with Infinite was the combat. It was
terrible
. I still had fun with it, but I would've had WAY more fun if the combat was actually good.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 657, hasdgfas wrote:I really enjoyed the
story
of Infinite, as well as the world. The problem with Infinite was the combat. It was
terrible
. I still had fun with it, but I would've had WAY more fun if the combat was actually good.
^

I always value story and character over mechanics unless it's a radical loss.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Post by Parama »

Bioshock the original had combat I was meh on so I was glad it was easy
then again I dun like FPSes in general
but it had good story and atmosphere so I enjoyed it plenty
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Post by Umbrage »

Bioshock's combat is overrated.

graphically it's great, but it's really tough to see the enemies

and I found damage to be pretty random, sometimes I'd destroy everything with the grenade launcher, sometimes it did next to nothing

plasmids looked cool, but many were useless
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Post by Natirasha »

In post 656, xRECKONERx wrote:>liked bioshock 2
>hated infinite

Wuttt
Bioshock 2 was a really good game--it improved upon the original's mechanics and managed to sort of tell it's own story without fucking up the original's or getting too convoluted. It's environments overall were a lot more interesting than Bioshock 1's(although none of them really compared to Fort Frolic--probably the single best segment of an FPS game out there).

Infinite on the other hand is a glorious mess. It's like, it has this upgradable gun system, but discourages the continuous use of a weapon through scarcity of ammo. It has a bunch of superpowers that all do the same thing(seriously, before Undertow, every single vigor is "attack with projectile or set up a trap with said projectile") so it's interchangable. It has this absurd gear system that I swear was added, like, a month before launch--there is literally no in-game way of checking what gear you have on at any time and all of the gear is boring(the only one that was cool was, like, the 'ignites enemies upon landing' which is hilariously broken in any skyrail fight) AND subject to RNG to get the damn things in the first place. You have this NPC that follows you around, sitting there being invincible(despite the game having an early pop up saying 'Yo, you gotta protect her!") and randomly throwing power ups with at(fun fact: just leave one enemy alive whenever you need more ammo/hp, then go hide in a corner for like ten minutes!). Like, goddamn, it's been a decade since Resident Evil 4 and
this
is the best they can think of? What happened.

The worse part of all that mess is that the different systems don't interlock at all. There is no synergy between the upgrades and the guns(all the upgrades are variations of +X% damage or whatever), there is no synergy between plasmids and guns, the gear is useless and all-around not notable, the tear concept is just there doing boring things like 'bonus cover'. It's all just a mess.

That's not even getting into the protracted nature of combat in the game due to fact every enemy has like six times the amount of health they should have(the only exception being the Handimen, who have this stupid pathetic AI that makes them a non-factor).

Then you get to the story, lol. The game manages to ruin most of it's most intimate moments through shitty game tropes
like when you go towards Comstock House and you think the story is moving towards a climax, but then you see a door that says 'MUST HAVE ELIZABETH TO LOCKPICK LOL', just ruining any dramatic tension that could happen due to being in an unfamiliar universe trying to save your daughter from an electro-rape machine
. The big reveals of the game(namely
YOU ARE COMSTOCK and ELIZABETH IS YOUR DAUGHTER IN ANOTHER UNIVERSE LOL
) are pure cheese. The supporting cast is pretty much non-existent(exception being the Luteces, who are the only interesting characters in the game). Then you get to the ending, which, like, is just dumb and doesn't fix anything. Or how about all those 'feels' moments throughout the game that are, quite frankly, laughably out of place(my favorite being
when you're in the slums and you see the kid & play him a song on the guitar--it was doubly funny because I had somehow aggro'd all the patrons in the bar so I murder what is likely his family, then give him a sentimental song--even if I hadn't, though, the whole scene is so out of place as to be comical
)?

But, the big joke is, it all works. Like, I was genuinely entertained through the whole thing, So, I can't fault the game too much, despite every bone in my body wanting to just absolutely hate this game.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by Parama »

i'm elated to have sparked this argument
also bought the game by now so too late
will be playing it approx 2016 tho
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

I loved Infinite and was really underwhelmed by Bioshock I and II
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:44 am

Post by GreyICE »

Get System Shock 2

Die a lot

Rage

Enjoy a fucking actual tough game where everything works together and despite that you're a rat in a cage and someone's shaking it.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:55 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

@Natirasha: I thought Bioshock 2 was far less engaging than Bioshock 1. The combat system had moderate upgrades, sure, but the story and world was such awful rehashing that it made it difficult to really care about at all. It was the same basic premise of the first game with a slight tweak so it wouldn't be outright plagiarism. The sense of "story informing actual gameplay" was missing in this one... it just felt like another FPS with a story slapped on, not a game where they were intertwined.

I never had an ammo scarcity problem, really, in Infinite (maybe one or two fights where I ran out). I do agree that some of the mechanics felt clunky (particularly the A.I.) but the game always felt challenging. I had quite an issue on several fights. The upgrade system was a little tacked on and never felt integral to the game itself, but then again the upgrade system in the first two games was pretty similar and is mostly there for people who want to check that little completionist box.

I personally don't get the gripes with the story. There's a certain amount of game trope-ism that is expected and that's just fine. I don't mind the "you need x item to unlock x door" bits, although it does kinda pull the rug out from under you... but it's not horrible. If the game had climaxed right when you head to
Comstock House
, I think I would've been disappointed because it was an awkward story beat.

The big reveals aren't really cheese... in fact, I don't think
YOU ARE COMSTOCK AND ELIZABETH IS YOUR DAUGHTER IN ANOTHER UNIVERSE
is even
meant
to be the "big reveal" in the game. You can kind of see it coming if you pick up on context clues the whole time, and honestly, I don't think even if you DID see it coming that it's a bad reveal. It's a pretty interesting twist that makes you say, "Okay, now how are they going to explain this one?" and THAT is the real journey.

Supporting characters have never really been Bioshock's strong suit. Think about it -- The Luteces were interesting in this game, Sander Cohen was interesting in the first game, and there were like zero memorable characters in Bioshock 2. The game has always been about the journey and the exploration of new worlds. And as for the ending... I don't think it
needed
to fix anything, as nothing was broken. It was a pretty big mindfuck that sent me reeling, and it was about as big of a twist that I think a game could pull off, ever. It set up interesting narrative threads in the future and set me to rampant speculating and theory hunting that I have not done since Lost was in its prime. I thought it was a very well done ending.

Bioshock has never been a game I've lauded for its innovative combat mechanics or anything, but it is a game that I think tells a very compelling and unique story, and challenges the boundaries of storytelling in video games. It kind of set the bar for what the medium can do.
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

the only thing I had a problem with in Infinite was the final fight. because
loltowerdefense
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:44 am

Post by bv310 »

Spoiler: Infinite Final Fight
I didn't realize you had to shoot down the other airships, so I ended up fighting for like fifteen minutes, just holding the Vox off. Then I realized I was a moron.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 am

Post by CooLDoG »

In post 664, GreyICE wrote:Get System Shock 2

Die a lot

Rage

Enjoy a fucking actual tough game where everything works together and despite that you're a rat in a cage and someone's shaking it.
Actually though.
after a wank.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:49 am

Post by Chevre »

Bomb Party

An online multiplayer version of what is essentially Hot Potato. You are given a 2-3 letter string and you have to find an English word that includes that string. So if it were "AST" you could type MASTER, CAST, or BASTE, or others. Meanwhile, a bomb is ticking and every time it expires you lose a heart. Last person standing wins.

Literally one of the most fun games ever. It's fun to see people struggle with finding a word. Also there are a lot of "Good Bad Bugs" IMO: the randomness of the bomb, an imperfect dictionary, and sometimes extremely difficult strings (ODH, for example, luckily I knew of JODHPURS). But all of these make the game chancey enough for anyone to win really. One true problem is that the first person to join a new game gets to decide the language, rather than having specific rooms for each, and so you can get stuck in a French game without meaning to. Though I guess that's enjoyable sometimes in testing your French knowledge. :P
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:38 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

It's annoying. A lot of times if you have an easy word the correct play is hang on to it for ages so the next player gets .5 seconds to think of and type in a word.

Edit: After trying it more, the thing to stop you just doing the really obvious words is that if you use every letter (minus a few like z) you get another life. And thats cool.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

game is too hard for stupid people like me.
after a wank.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Post by Maruchan »

so i got lego marvel superheroes, and got far enough through the storyline to open free-roam through the city. haven't had a chance to play it since then (about 2 weeks or so ago), want to play it so bad
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Post by Brandi »

Ive played it a little on my friends xbox but mostly just watched them play it with their daughter and it seems surprisingly like a great game.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:58 am

Post by Chevre »

So I will be staying at my friend's for spring break, and they have a PS3, so if I were to rent Heavy Rain and dedicate at least 10-12 hours of play to it, would I get a good enough play experience?

Return to “The Arcade”