Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4150 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

In post 4127, xRECKONERx wrote:I basically want to play something that isn't incredibly prone to error (since I make errors a lot) but isn't a mindless "turn things sideways and win". The cheaper, the better.
For legacy? Or for standard?

Some fun decks for legacy: Dragonstorm, enchantments.
Reanimator is also cool, but I think that costs a bit more than these.
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4151 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 am

Post by Klazam »

Dragonstorm? That was NEVER viable, just saying.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4152 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:08 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 4150, vezokpiraka wrote:
In post 4127, xRECKONERx wrote:I basically want to play something that isn't incredibly prone to error (since I make errors a lot) but isn't a mindless "turn things sideways and win". The cheaper, the better.
For legacy? Or for standard?

Some fun decks for legacy: Dragonstorm, enchantments.
Reanimator is also cool, but I think that costs a bit more than these.
He's talking Modern. Also, Dragonstorm isn't really viable, and Enchantress is SUPER complicated. :P
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4153 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:21 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Enchantress is my favorite deck, but it's not going to win you anything. Were it me, I'd be tempted to play Enduring Ideal, just because.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4154 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:40 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

I know Dragonstorm is not tier 1, but it's a fun deck to play.
As for Enchantments I was referring to the deck that comboes off of drawing cards and returns everything you own to your hand.
Also Wheel of Sun and Moon and Static Field( or something. I forgot it's name, the one in which you can't be dealt damage, but you have to sacrifice it if any card goes to your graveyard.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4155 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 am

Post by bv310 »

He's trying to play semi-competitive. Dragonstorm and Wheel of Sun and Moon auto-lose to 90% of Legacy. Also, he's not interested in playing Legacy, so this is a bit of a dumb conversation to have.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4156 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:44 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

In post 4155, bv310 wrote:He's trying to play semi-competitive. Dragonstorm and Wheel of Sun and Moon auto-lose to 90% of Legacy. Also, he's not interested in playing Legacy, so this is a bit of a dumb conversation to have.
For Modern I like Aggro artifacts. The deck with Tempered Steel I think. That seems cheap and reliable.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4157 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:36 am

Post by bv310 »

This is probably going to seem offensive, but how long has it been since you've actually looked at Modern?

Yes, Robots is a deck, but it hasn't run Tempered Steel in ages. Plus, the requisite set of Mox Opals probably puts the deck out of his budget.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4158 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Post by AGar »

Yeah Mox Opals are the thing that kept me away from Robots.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4159 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by Natirasha »

If I was getting into modern today, I'd probably start with Mono G Devotion(money cards: PrimeTime+fetches) and work from there.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4160 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Post by bv310 »

The Genesis Wave list? That list seems really fun, and I'm slowly putting it together on MTGO to play Modern Dailies.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4161 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:33 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

In post 4157, bv310 wrote:This is probably going to seem offensive, but how long has it been since you've actually looked at Modern?

Yes, Robots is a deck, but it hasn't run Tempered Steel in ages. Plus, the requisite set of Mox Opals probably puts the deck out of his budget.
I don't closely watch modern. I saw that deck about 6 months ago I think and I thought it was fun. it won a championship or something.
I only play Limited and Commander so most of my deck choices for different formats are what I think are fun decks to play.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4162 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 am

Post by bv310 »

Fair enough, but I'll tell you right now Tempered Steel hasn't placed consistently in Robots since March/April 2012. http://www.mtgo-stats.com/decks/95533 is a much more common list. Either way, it's still incredibly good in the current meta.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4163 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:58 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

In post 4162, bv310 wrote:Fair enough, but I'll tell you right now Tempered Steel hasn't placed consistently in Robots since March/April 2012. http://www.mtgo-stats.com/decks/95533 is a much more common list. Either way, it's still incredibly good in the current meta.
I see. I think I just saw that the deck had artifacts and thought it also had Tempered Steel.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4164 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am

Post by bv310 »

Fair enough, that deck's a weird one.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4165 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 4160, bv310 wrote:The Genesis Wave list? That list seems really fun, and I'm slowly putting it together on MTGO to play Modern Dailies.
Yeah, deck's pretty solid, but it has a bad faeries match so I dunno.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4166 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:49 am

Post by bv310 »

Yeah, I'm really reluctant to buy in to anything before at least this weekend's Pro Tour, if not longer. Still no idea of where Faeries and Zoo are going to land, and who/what's going to get crowded out for it. I like the idea of the TinFist lists, but I can't justify the hilariously high pricetag on Griselbees and Em for a deck that might just fold to Spellstutter Sprite.
Lord_Farkwad
Lord_Farkwad
Townie
Lord_Farkwad
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4167 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Post by Lord_Farkwad »

Fae isn't that good
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #4168 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:25 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Gonna go play some FNM for the first time in BNG standard tomorrow (scheduling and bad biking weather means I haven't played Magic in like a month).

Spoiler: RB Aggro/Midrange
Land (25):
4 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Temple of Malice
4 Blood Crypt
8 Mountain
5 Swamp

Creatures (17):
4 Spike Jester
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells (18):
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock
3 Dreadbore
3 Hero's Downfall
1 Whip of Erebos

Sideboard (15):
3x Lifebane Zombie
3x Dark Betrayal
3x Doom Blade
4x Skullcrack
2x Mizzium Mortars

After running it through a few times on tappedout, I'm loving how this deck feels. Hasty and evasive threats that chunk for lots of damage and a nice removal suite with burn for reach. The mana works surprisingly well, although my draws seem to flood out more than I like. There's no completely dead cards against any one matchup, either.

Kind of want to fit in Bile Blight because I don't want to lose to Pack Rat, but I don't have much I can cut. Only card that doesn't completely fit is the Whip, and I guess I could cut a Shock. Someone's gonna yell at me to cut Vexing Phoenix, but I think the card's alright, especially with Exava. I at least want to try it out before completely dismissing the card. I'd also add in Mutavaults, but not only did I get rid of mine (still no regrets) but the manabase is kind of shaky if I include them, with all the RR+BB stuff.

Sideboard is pretty simple: Zombie is a good threat against non-black matchups with value in G or W matchups (could run it main with -1 Whip -1 Downfall -1 Shock but it's dead against monoB and I like 3 Downfall), DB for mono-B/BW, Doom Blade for mono-U and aggro and GR monsters, Skullcrack against control, Mortars for Blood Baron and such. Could drop a Skullcrack for a Slaughter Games or something but meh.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4169 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Post by Natirasha »

I'm not really feeling that list--it's too slow for an aggro deck and doesn't have enough inevitability to play the long game. Whip, especially, seems really out of place.

At the very least, cut some combination of Shock/Magma Jet/Downfalls for Mogis, Cackler and Searing Blood/Mortars. Rakdos Return in the board is really good as well. Oh, you could probably cut a land too.

Mogis is really really good--I've faced a few decks running him and he's such a beating every time.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #4170 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

I don't think it's too slow, being that the threats are hasty (helping recover after wraths) and do good chunks of damage. Whip is a card I'm trying as the one-of as I want to run the other 59, and actually isn't too bad in theory, as it allows me to recur strong threats after they die. It does feel a little odd, but I certainly don't want to run another Vexing Phoenix or Exava (due to sometimes lack of haste, and legendary, respectively).

I considered running 3 Thoughtseize main (cutting Whip, Shock, and something else), if anything. Other cards were good, but I'm trying to minimize completely-dead cards.

I'm opting not to play Cackler because:
- the deck runs 7-8 comes-in-tapped-lands due to the manabase being rocky without them
- it's a terrible topdeck usually

A few Shock could maybe go, followed by Jet, and I'll find out how useful two-damage burn is in the format tomorrow. But I don't like Mogis, its trigger takes too long to be relevant (plus relatively expensive) and I'd need 3+ creatures on board to make him active. Mortars main is a blank against UW Control game one minus Elspeth tokens, and since it makes up a good chunk of the meta apparently I want to try to minimize completely-dead cards to that deck (and any deck, really). Searing Blood can be dead as well, as it only can be cast if they have a creature.

I can't reliably cut anything for Return in the board, and I'm not a huge fan of it in this shell. It's better in a RB Devotion shell, where it can Return for 5 on turn 4/5 when they're tapped out from a Jace or something. Plus it can be countered. If anything I'd consider it over the Whip, but still. Can't cut Doom Blades because monoU, can't cut Betrayals because monoB, Lifebane Zombie is card advantage that's too useful to consider cutting (also helps answer Baron/Obz), and can't cut Mortars. I could maybe cut a Skullcrack, but again, I'd rather run a Slaughter Games.

I kind of want to cut a land, since my hands tend to flood a bit, but at the same time it's necessary I hit 4 or 5 to drop threats consistently. So bleh.

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #4171 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 am

Post by InflatablePie »

nvm the Magic gods decided to make it rain on Friday night again, so I'm not biking to FNM.

I might just -2 Phoenix -1 Whip (since Whip feels awkward) and +3 Lifebane Zombie (-1 Mountain +1 Swamp). It's worst against mono-B but seeing their hand helps I guess. Otherwise I can just swap Whip for a single Herald of Torment because sending Spike Jesters and Exava into the sky seems good.

If I go through with the former, I have 3 SB slots open. Probably adding a Dark Betrayal and Ultimate Price, both for monoB and UPrice as a 7th killspell for Master of Waves. Maybe try Gild as the 15th card or something to help deal with gods, idk. (or probably another UPrice but idk)

Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #4172 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:14 am

Post by Fate »

p sure you can't justify not running thoughtseize in anything that wnats to call itself midrange

I reccomend just choosing a base color and running with it.

You can go the Herald of torment, downfall route splashing red for exava spike jester and RReturn dreadbore only or something.

You can go the R/b pyromancer list that nuwen runs that splashes black for which has phoenixes, burn, and chandra.

Trying to do both is just really confused unfortunately.
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4173 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:20 am

Post by Nuwen »

return is still good because you can still do it for 3 on turn 5 and an even better topdeck later...

your list is also really bad against U/W if thats what you're expecting
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #4174 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:27 am

Post by InflatablePie »

Was considering running three Thoughtseize, but I dunno. At this point, the Br side is what the list seems to be splashing for. I'll see if the Phoenixes are worthwhile, otherwise I can cut them to make the mana easier.

If I'm running two Return, I'm probably only drawing one. I dunno, it just doesn't seem that great to me. And I can see this list being bad against UW, but I'll do some testing and see what I can do to help that.

Return to “The Arcade”