[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6700 (ISO) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:36 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6699, Cheery Dog wrote:Scam kill whoever they were meant to be giving a fruit to, that town member is then unable to report.
(Would then be able to get an easy mislynch if the scums were actually next to each other, and this plan was thought as how it happened by town.)
That still gets them caught

ABCD are playing, A is scum and they are going in a circle

A kills B.
C, D, A get fruit
Only way a kill happened outside of a false report was A killing.
So A is forced to fake not getting anything, so they can turn it into a flip.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #6701 (ISO) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I went as the kill happening before the fruit.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6702 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I'd assume all the actions in a setup like that would be simultaneous unless a) otherwise stated, or b) it was designed by zoraster (or another mod who consistently and intentionally uses an action resolution method other than NAR).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6703 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:24 am

Post by Kagami »

Idea: Alchemy Mafia

9 Players, 2 mafia, 7 town.

There are 9 reagents, which are publicly disclosed, and each player is randomly given a role that collects a specific reagent (including the mafia), and there are four cauldrons (A, B, C, and D).

The central mechanic is that during each night phase, all players may put their reagent into one of the four cauldrons as a night action. The mafia does the same, and may also corrupt up to two of the cauldrons as a factional action.

Every possible pair of two reagents has an effect associated with it (e.g. Mossflower+Eye of newt has the cop ability), the entire set of which are publicly disclosed at the beginning of the game. At daybreak, any cauldron that has at least two reagents in it will activate. Those with more than two reagents will have extraneous reagents removed randomly until two remain. Any targets of the cauldron effects will be randomly chosen (possibly with townward or scumward bias depending on the effect), and the results of the cauldrons' actions are publicly announced. Corrupted cauldrons will have a different, more anti-town version of the effect (e.g. Insane cop instead of sane cop), which is also publicly disclosed, of course.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6704 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:26 am

Post by Kagami »

Might be better with only 1 corruption, but the principle is the same.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6705 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 am

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

Idea: 9P White Flag

6 town, 3 scum. Town need to lynch any two scum to win. Scum have a normal night kill every night. All vanilla.

I wonder if such a setup already exists. Or a similar one?
Elscouta
Elscouta
Goon
Elscouta
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6706 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 am

Post by Elscouta »

Looks extremely favorable to scum. Town needs 50% accuracy without any PR and a strong scum voting block. That's not going to end well for town. Adding 2 VT will probably make it a bit more balanced.
I'm town. Please lynch someone else.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #6707 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:48 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 6705, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:Idea: 9P White Flag

6 town, 3 scum. Town need to lynch any two scum to win. Scum have a normal night kill every night. All vanilla.

I wonder if such a setup already exists. Or a similar one?
Scumhunters Speed 8P:

Scumhunter's Speed 8p

5 Townies
3 Scum

After Day One:

...If a scum player is lynched, scum chose one player to kill, but it then becomes White Flag (scum lose when there is only one scum left)
...if a town player is lynched, scum must kill one of their own.

Otherwise nightless
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #6708 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:31 am

Post by yessiree »

can you demonstrate a set of events that leads to a scum win? I'm not seeing a way...

I derped, this is actually a pretty tight setup
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6709 (ISO) » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Hmm, remember when Fire & Ice had no crosskills? And how that was ridiculously scum sided? Well, what if you combined Fire & Ice with Double Day?

Double Day Fire & Ice

2 Fire Mafia
2 Ice Mafia
1 Doctor
8 Townies

No crosskills, Mafia kills cancel each other out, and 2 lynches per day.

Balanced, y/n?
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #6710 (ISO) » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 6708, yessiree wrote:
can you demonstrate a set of events that leads to a scum win? I'm not seeing a way...

I derped, this is actually a pretty tight setup
Scumhunters 8P was a thought experiment by me and Hito to see how many scum you could fit in a setup while still making sure there would be relevant information from each lynch. It's very close to perfectly mathematically balanced.

I'd argue it was townsided, but this was the entire nexus of the discussion that spawned the setup.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
LeMidget
LeMidget
Goon
LeMidget
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6711 (ISO) » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Post by LeMidget »

Double Doctor

2 Mafia Goons
1 Serial Killer with 1-shot Roleblock

2 Weak Doctors
6 VT

Doctors die if they target Mafia or SK
SK's RB can be used with a NK

Thoughts?
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6712 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Alrighty

Welcome to me trying to do some stuff here

1) New setups

I want to look into adding the following three setups as trial runs:

Baby Genius but with 2 more VT
Farmer's Marker
Sharing is Caring has potential but needs refinement on how things resolve when more actions are submitted than shots remain.

2) Setups to modify

I want to replace Faith Plus One with what is suggested as Hope Plus One

I want to give +2 VT to Masons and Monks since town has been just ripped apart in all runs of it, even though it is a unique spin on the ever popular Friends and Enemies.

If anyone has thoughts let me know. I will be trying to make the changes, adding setups and doing general clean up in the following weekends.
Co-host of The USL Show
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6713 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Any suggestions on Sharing is Caring resolutions? Could just prioritize Cop over Jailkeeper over Vig, but if that's kind of eh I'm up for suggestions.

I need thoughts on whether scum should have daytalk in We Need A Fifth. I gave them daytalk when I ran it, but I don't know what would be more balanced.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #6714 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:40 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Have all fail and give that team a strike per extra shot attempted. 3 strikes and they lose a shot.

This would assuming all three tried to use their power nights 1 & 2, would still have a shot to decide what to do with night 3, which would cease to exist if just two of them tried that night.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6715 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:45 am

Post by quadz08 »

hope +1 is about a million times better than faith +1, as a note
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6716 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:48 am

Post by BBmolla »

Sharing is Caring

13 Players

1 Mafia Y-shot Rolecop
1 Mafia Y-shot Doctor
1 Mafia Y-shot Watcher

1 Town X-shot Cop
1 Town X-shot Jailkeeper
1 Town X-shot Vigilante
7 VTs

• Daystart
  • "X" starts as 4, and decreases with each shot spent by one of the power roles.
  • "Y" starts as 4, and decreases with each shot spent by one of the power roles.
  • If X or Y goes below 0 in one night, all actions by that team will fail and no shots will be spent.
  • Every time a Town Power Role dies, X increases by 1.
  • Every time a Mafia Member dies, Y increases by 1.

Other setup possibilities include the Town Power Roles being told what number X is at.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #6717 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:14 am

Post by Faraday »

Huh. That's...interesting? I was going to say Jailer is much weaker than the others, but I guess it could work if used as a doctor. (At the very least that's how it's likely to be effective, whereas cop should always be using their role)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6718 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:15 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6713, BBmolla wrote:Any suggestions on Sharing is Caring resolutions? Could just prioritize Cop over Jailkeeper over Vig, but if that's kind of eh I'm up for suggestions.
I kinda like the suggestion of CD where the result becomes "all actions fail" when more shots are attempted than are left.
Co-host of The USL Show
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6719 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:24 am

Post by BBmolla »

Obviously Cop is the strongest early game, and if I were Vig/Jailkeeper I may no action just to get as many cop reports as possible.

As game winds down though Jailkeeper becomes a lot better.

Edit: Is giving additional shots overkill?
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6720 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6719, BBmolla wrote:Obviously Cop is the strongest early game, and if I were Vig/Jailkeeper I may no action just to get as many cop reports as possible.

As game winds down though Jailkeeper becomes a lot better.
See this again assumes that town will be smart about things like this. You balance for correct play, just assuming it will occur is a bit of a reach.
Co-host of The USL Show
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6721 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:31 am

Post by BBmolla »

Well, that doesn't mean the power roles don't have to use all shots night 1. Vig could be certain someone is scum, and vig them, one scum dead (assuming no doc protection on that player). Jailkeeper could jail another, no mafia kill and 50/50 that person is protected town/blocked scum. Cop could then catch the last mafia.

The game could technically be over in two days if people actioned correctly. I think on paper, giving Cop most reports will be most beneficial, but I don't think using Vig/Jailkeeper early is throwing.

I don't think I exactly follow what you mean though, what exactly are you proposing there is an issue with
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6722 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:44 am

Post by T-Bone »

I think you need to replace the doctor or watcher with something a bit stronger for the mafia. The game can end in 2 days with proper town actions and the mafia can't really stop that at the moment. I'd say replace the watcher with a framer. The watcher and rolecop essentially preform the same function in this set-up.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6723 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:16 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6721, BBmolla wrote:Well, that doesn't mean the power roles don't have to use all shots night 1. Vig could be certain someone is scum, and vig them, one scum dead (assuming no doc protection on that player). Jailkeeper could jail another, no mafia kill and 50/50 that person is protected town/blocked scum. Cop could then catch the last mafia
Im just saying how many times would you trust both the JK and Vig if all roles were alive to actually not use their actions? There are some setups like Hard Boiled where town plays directly opposite of what they should do from a numerical standpoint at times because its "less fun".

You balance for town playing correct, I just don't trust PRs not to be selfish here.
T-Bone wrote:I think you need to replace the doctor or watcher with something a bit stronger for the mafia. The game can end in 2 days with proper town actions and the mafia can't really stop that at the moment. I'd say replace the watcher with a framer. The watcher and rolecop essentially preform the same function in this set-up.
Well any game with a vig can end on day two with "proper" actions. I could see trying a framer instead of watcher here though.
Co-host of The USL Show
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6724 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:02 am

Post by BBmolla »

I don't think either way has as significant as an advantage as Hard Boiled does. If all use abilities night 1, you could technically win in two days. I would save the shots for the cop, but I don't think it increases win percentage as much as it does in Hard Boiled.

I disagree that Watcher and Rolecop play the same function. I wouldn't mind throwing in a Godfather over the Rolecop, I'd much prefer to put the innocents in question than the guilties

Edit: I do know the site is low on Framer setups though, so if we wanted to put it in instead of Godfather just for that, I'd be okay with it.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”