Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #900 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:24 am

Post by Faraday »

Everyone who I played hanabi with it seemed to like it? I was drunk for mascerade but I'm a big fan of bluffing type games like that. Citadels was fun too.

Betrayal was fun too but some of those haunts are pretty bad.

Oh. Cosmic encounter is awesome without uberninja!
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #901 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:26 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 900, Faraday wrote:Everyone who I played hanabi with it seemed to like it? I was drunk for mascerade but I'm a big fan of bluffing type games like that. Citadels was fun too.

Betrayal was fun too but some of those haunts are pretty bad.

Oh. Cosmic encounter is awesome without uberninja!
The house rule we have for betrayal is that if we end up with a fucking awful Haunt that no one likes, we check to see what other haunts correspond with the omen drawn, and if we can play any of those.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #902 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 am

Post by Faraday »

well none of us had played this particular haunt before <_< so yeah, it was just kind of swingy/luck based, unfortunately.

edit: well even more so than usual, I felt
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #903 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:33 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

That haunt was such bullshit.

Will talk about Hanabi and Mascarade and also Legendary later, but goddamn that haunt was stupid
#greenshirtthursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #904 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 am

Post by quadz08 »

That haunt
was
bullshit. Poor CDB. :(

I enjoyed the bit of Hanabi I got to play. It's a strategic / memory / co-op game that I felt fairly relaxed while playing, despite there being some fairly tense moments.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #905 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

What haunt was it?
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #906 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 am

Post by Faraday »

cdb had a bunch of bats that could suck our blood. uh, 2 of us started right next to the organ room and got a lucky role to start the organ despite our poor might, so it kind of ended before he had a chance to attach many bats.

i guess, as i said, it could be potentially close - but yeah. it seems in general it's harder on the traitor with more players? (idk maybe not but IME it's been true)
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #907 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

yeah a lot of the time you only need one to three good rolls to do something important so having more players to do that makes it a lot easier and punch things better, one of the earlier ones i played was a rat spawning thing that was borderline literally impossible for the good guys with only 3 players

also betrayal is just not amaaazingly balanced in general

but it's usually pretty fun for me at least
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #908 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Post by Axxle »

I forget, does Betrayal self balance as you add more people? Or is it the same no matter how many players you add?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #909 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Betrayal never really balances itself, in my experience. Most of the haunts are just chaos, and who it favors varies on the nature of the haunt, the layout of the mansion, the items that have been collected, and how far into the game it triggered. It's almost impossible to know if the game is going to be balanced.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #910 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Nobody played Space Cadets with me. Was sad.
green shirt thursdays
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #911 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Post by sthar8 »

Aww I've heard awesome things about space cadets. I'm trying to con somebody else into buying it so I can try it out.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #912 (ISO) » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:03 pm

In post 899, Chevre wrote:I know plenty people who went to the Reckoning have frequented this thread, so give me some thoughts! What type of people liked those games? I've looked into both but they just seem like they cater to specific types of people.
The type of people who seemed - to me at least - to be enjoying Mascarade the most were those who wanted to take it seriously enough to facilitate a high level of fucking with people, but not so seriously that the frequent inability to have better than a vague idea of what's actually going on bothered them. I was a little too skewed to the latter end of the spectrum, I think, and even though I won perhaps half of the games I played I don't think I had as much fun as others. Mind you, they were often more drunk than me.

Like Faraday, everyone with whom I played Hanabi seemed to enjoy themselves. As long as your players won't throw a hissy fit if they can't win at something straight away, the challenge of finding that elusive perfect score is really attractive. Would recommend to more or less anyone.
#greenshirtthursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #913 (ISO) » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:04 pm

In post 910, xRECKONERx wrote:Nobody played Space Cadets with me. Was sad.
I would have played! :(
#greenshirtthursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #914 (ISO) » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Hanabi was a fun process but it still felt kinda "so what" when I played it.
green shirt thursdays
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #915 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 am

Post by Thesp »

If anyone is interested in playing Hanabi online, let me know.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #916 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:57 am

Post by Vi »

I am apparently successful at recruiting people to play/purchase Sentinels of the Multiverse... without owning any of it myself.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #917 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:58 am

Post by Axxle »

In post 916, Vi wrote:I am apparently successful at recruiting people to play/purchase Sentinels of the Multiverse... without owning any of it myself.
I am not. It was a complete flop at the Reckoning. Mostly because we played on a really easy mode.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #918 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:06 pm

Post by Shmugen »

It's pretty decent, but I'm not sure it's much to write home about.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #919 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Post by Vi »

That's understandable. Any cooperative game is basically a single-player optimization experiment with the joy or frustration of dealing with other people. Maybe I haven't hit the point where it loses its fun.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #920 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Post by Shmugen »

Eldritch Horror, on the other hand...
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #921 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:46 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 919, Vi wrote:That's understandable. Any cooperative game is basically a single-player optimization experiment with the joy or frustration of dealing with other people. Maybe I haven't hit the point where it loses its fun.
I feel like some achieve a really good balance. Then again, my favorite is by far and away Darkest Night, and no one even knows what that is. So, like, yeah, there's a point to that.

If you like co-op but hate the "optimize the board and argue with others" Archipelago is semi co-op, but everyone has their own objectives (and one person could have the objective of completely fucking everyone over, so you can't 100% trust people to act in the Archipelago's interests).

Only warning I'd toss in is that it's basically about being colonial bastards and brutally exploiting, enslaving, and killing the natives. It's under a layer of abstraction, but that's the theme, and some people don't like that.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #922 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Post by Shmugen »

I've heard of Darkest Night lately, tell me some more?

Just got done with a gaming con this weekend, Archipelago was the one game I wanted to play there that didn't end up being available.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #923 (ISO) » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Post by GreyICE »

It's a lot of fun. The game is just very well put together.

Basically, you start out, small party of heroes. 4, to be exact. And the goal is to try and defeat a Necromancer, either by recovering holy relics, or by actually doing battle with him and beating him (this is hard). Meanwhile, he spawns these irritating blights that will start to overwhelm the board.

You have to go around the board, searching for keys to unlock the relic, and collecting artifacts, cards, and keys. The monastery is your "safe zone", close locations are mediocre (but safer) and the far locations have the best stuff, but are far away.

Okay, so what makes it tick? Just, so much cool stuff. Like, each class gets 10 ability cards, and you only get 3 (out of 4 predetermined abilities) to start. So you want to go after those other 6, because there's some REALLY cool skills hiding in there. But it doesn't directly help you out. But you want them! And you want the artifacts (they're amazing!). And all of the limited use stuff is awesome too! So you want to get it.

But see, you have this meter called "stealth." Different heroes have different amount, but a lot of the things you're doing are going to lower your stealth. And see, the necromancer rolls to determine how he moves, and if he gets a roll above your (steadily decreasing) stealth, he's going to stop moving randomly and charge you. The only way to recharge it is to move or retreat to the Monastery (where the Necromancer can't track you). So you can only do so much before the Necromancer notices you and starts to track you down. And you think you can control it, right? But you get an event card every turn. And some of the events get worse if you're at low stealth. So you might think "Oh I have at least a turn before he notices me" then get a bad event, lose stealth, and suddenly you're Necromancer bait. And you have to go running across the board to go cower in the Monastery until it's all over.

So the result is that you really feel a desire to push your luck. If you're on one of the far spaces, busy earning awesome artifacts, abilities, keys, chests, important things, you want to stay there. But each turn you do the likelihood rises that something goes terribly wrong.

Oh, and cool stuff? The heroes. Each one is different. We're not talking "different ability names." Oh no. The Prince rallies support from the countryside. He starts with horrible stealth (meaning even out the gate the Necromancer can notice him) but his abilities are often placed on locations, giving everyone there cool bonuses. Because he's rallied the locals, see? And there's the Acolyte, who is like a mini necromancer - his abilities work similar to the Necromancer's, and can even raise the darkness for bonuses (but bringing your loss closer). And there's the usual Rogue (Stealthy, can backstab people and spend and regain stealth in awesome manners), Priest (great healer), Fighter (obvious), Druid (transforms into awesome forms - you WANT to go diving for his abilities, because he has some great forms). There's a scholar who doesn't do great in combat, but he's absolutely great at finding things - he just wants to be left alone to research while everyone does important combat thingies.

The quality of components is a little meh, if that matters to you, and definitely get the hard board over the fold out mat - but the game itself is really, really, really fun. The "push your luck" mechanic and the chance (different from randomness) that can change your decisions means it's rather hard to just "solve" the way Pandemic can be. Everyone has a slightly different tolerance for risk, and if the dice like you, you might get far with some finger crossing. The different heroes make every game feel sufficiently different, and even replaying heroes you can end up with different abilities and a different feel.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #924 (ISO) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 919, Vi wrote:That's understandable. Any cooperative game is basically a single-player optimization experiment with the joy or frustration of dealing with other people. Maybe I haven't hit the point where it loses its fun.
I think it's because it's much more malleable than many other co-op games; Pandemic might change which cities are in the danger zone but it's mostly the same structure but Ra plays rather different to the Argent Adept and Citizen Dawn plays different than the Ennead who plays different than Spite so the gameplay can be tuned to difficulties and preferences. Also having your own hand makes it so that we trend against optimization via consensus/discussion when we play unless things are dire because you do have some "hidden" information.

Return to “The Arcade”