Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #1075 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:42 am

Post by Battle Mage »

why would there be something you had to respond to?
were you expecting a heap of criticism to be on you before you arrived?
of course not.
The natural protown thing to do, would be to come into the game and say who you think is suspicious. Why would someone protown want to waste time defending themselves from people who are probably scum themselves?
Much better would be to look for yourself and make judgements.
The wagon thing revealed that you were looking for an escape from your starting wagon. The fact that you are still there doesnt absolve you-it just means that you havent risked leaving it yet, or you are still hoping for someone to hammer Kison.
BM
Sefer wrote:My first post in the game... the one 6 minutes after I was confirmed to be in the game? All I did was point out that I probably wasn't going to wade through the big argument through RR and Twito again and ask that someone point out to anything I needed to respond to immediately. Since, y'know, I hadn't been reading the game for more than 10 pages and didn't know if there was something I was supposed to respond to. How you interpret that as defensive is beyond me. It's ironic that this comes from someone who attacks someone for saying, essentially, "you want us to move our votes, what's your case for it?", just because the person in question was voting you.
And you can't really say I was willing to "more than willing to leave a dying wagon and go elsewhere," since I never did leave it. I just asked for a case from someone who wanted us to leave it, and I see no problem with stating a willingness to listen to a case from another player.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1076 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:06 am

Post by Ectomancer »

O.o

Anyone else interested in a BM wagon? Low mileage and it practically fuels itself!
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #1077 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:14 am

Post by Zindaras »

FoS: Ectomancer

Don't do that. Bad, bad Ecty.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1078 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:06 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Im already voting BM Zindy. I thought my comment was at least a slightly humorous way of expressing my views of his last recent actions.
He is 2nd in votes right now with a declining Kison wagon. It looks like he is feeling some pressure. So what Im reading is he felt pressured to echo everyone elses sentiment and jump off too. Only he misread what people were seeing, and stated the exact opposite assessment about Kison.
Now, he needs someone else for the spotlight and focuses on Olio/Sefer, trying to create a barn out of sawdust and has completely ignored the repeated requests for him to clarify his statements about Kison.

Hope you like that better. Im in a good mood today and thought you might appreciate some humor. I can see why you might want the content as well, but damnit, I deserve to make a snide every now and again!
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Twito
Twito
Mafia Scum
Twito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1079 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Post by Twito »

What has happened to all so active and annoying RR?

Olio/Sefer is scum, quaranteed, I'm just not active enough to push through that wagon.
Ectomancer might be scum with him.
Show
[color=blue]We are all innocent townies and the mod is an evil bastard laughing at us lynching eachother![/color]
I'm at M├â┬®xico as an exhange student and abit inactive.

thesheamuffin: I'm off to masterbate
Uber Timmy: CAN YOU PLAY ONE HANDED
DragonsofSummer
DragonsofSummer
Mafia Scum
DragonsofSummer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1080 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:20 pm

Post by DragonsofSummer »

Twito do you have any basis at all for that guarantee? Or is it just a gut thing? Because all BM is doing in my opinion is making Sefer look logical while he looks... well like BM.
"I want you to hit me as hard as you can."
-Tyler Durden
Twito
Twito
Mafia Scum
Twito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1081 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:22 pm

Post by Twito »

DragonsofSummer wrote:Twito do you have any basis at all for that guarantee? Or is it just a gut thing? Because all BM is doing in my opinion is making Sefer look logical while he looks... well like BM.
I'm not basing a smallest part of what I've said on any of BM's comments.
Show
[color=blue]We are all innocent townies and the mod is an evil bastard laughing at us lynching eachother![/color]

Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #1082 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Post by Kison »

Twito, you seem to be basing your suspicion on Sefer supporting Raging Rabbit. Yet you think Raging Rabbit is scum, and there's obviously not enough momentum there for people to be convinced of that. Why is Sefer any more likely? What about his support looks scummy?
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1083 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:12 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Ectomancer wrote:Im already voting BM Zindy. I thought my comment was at least a slightly humorous way of expressing my views of his last recent actions.
He is 2nd in votes right now with a declining Kison wagon. It looks like he is feeling some pressure. So what Im reading is he felt pressured to echo everyone elses sentiment and jump off too. Only he misread what people were seeing, and stated the exact opposite assessment about Kison.
Now, he needs someone else for the spotlight and focuses on Olio/Sefer, trying to create a barn out of sawdust and has completely ignored the repeated requests for him to clarify his statements about Kison.
:GoodPosting:

I think that Twito's vote reeks of OMGUS and BM is being opportunistic.
Vote: BattleMage

I'm much happier with this wagon.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1084 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:59 am

Post by Glork »

Day Two: The Twelfth Vote Count:

Kison 6 (IH, Cogito Ergo Sum, DragonsofSummer, Sefer, Thesp, Zindaras)
Battle Mage 3 (Ectomancer, Nightfall, HackerHuck)
Twito 1 (logicticus)
Sefer 1 (Twito)
Cogito Ergo Sum 1 (Kison)

16 alive, 9 to lynch.

Mod Note:
In spite of RagingRabbit's most recent post indicating that he wishes to play still, the level of his unreliable access means that I will begin seeking a replacement for him.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #1085 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:03 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Mod: am i not voting Sefer?
if not,
Vote Sefer
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Sefer
Sefer
Goon
Sefer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1086 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:56 am

Post by Sefer »

BM, you've clearly never replaced into a game before.
Battle Mage wrote:why would there be something you had to respond to?
were you expecting a heap of criticism to be on you before you arrived?
of course not.
I'm amused that you think the only possible thing I could have to respond to is criticism; it tells a lot about you.
The first time I replaced into a game, a response from my predecesor (it was something along the lines of confirming a night action and giving opinions on a short list of players) was the only thing holding the game up. Other times, I've replaced into games where everyone's opinion on a certain player was being collected, and knowing that let me focus on something during my catch-up read. So in every game I replace into, I make a hello post letting people know that I'm in the process of catching up and that they should let me know if there's something I need to respond to. I find it eases the transition, and more often than not there is something that a replacement needs to respond to.
Think about this: have you ever been asked a question in one of your games? I think it's safe to assume you have. What happens if you have to be replaced without answering the question? In some cases, it's trivial, so nothing needs to happen. Otherwise, people ask your replacement. RR is being replaced in this game. Do you really think his replacement won't have to deal with a lot of questions based on RR's claims and actions?
Battle Mage wrote: The natural protown thing to do, would be to come into the game and say who you think is suspicious. Why would someone protown want to waste time defending themselves from people who are probably scum themselves?
I couldn't say who I thought was suspicious. Hadn't read the game for several weeks and didn't remember anything about it except the long, pointless argument that made me stop reading. As I've pointed out, I made this post before I reread, so I didn't have anything to base a suspicion on yet. The natural protown thing to do is avoid saying you suspect somebody until you've actually read the game.
As for the second sentence, I've pointed out that I wasn't defending myself. The assumption that any given player in the game is "probably scum themselves," again, says a lot about you.
Battle Mage wrote: Much better would be to look for yourself and make judgements.
The wagon thing revealed that you were looking for an escape from your starting wagon. The fact that you are still there doesnt absolve you-it just means that you havent risked leaving it yet, or you are still hoping for someone to hammer Kison.
Nah, it just means asking for an argument indicated a willingness to listen to reason. You should try it sometime. Stating that I wouldn't change my mind no matter what evidence is presented would have been kinda insane.
It's also interesting that you think there's some kind of risk in taking my vote off of Kison; honestly, what makes you think I'd need this elaborate ruse, particularly so soon after I replaced in, to change my vote? You took your vote off of him not long ago without a problem.
BM is clearly making some typically bad newbie arguments. He certainly has an ironic amount of overdefensiveness (saying I looked "like someone trying to latch onto someone with alot of suspicion, in order to lynch someone protown" when I asked one of the two people voting him what their case was; since when was two votes a lot of suspicion and since when was asking for the reason for someone's vote latching onto their target?). I don't know that he's more likely to be newbie scum than newbie town, though; I've seen overdefensive town newbies before (heck, I've been an overdefensive town newbie before). Is there a case against him besides "he makes bad arguments," or are the people voting him just reacting to that?
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #1087 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:16 am

Post by Kison »

Battle Mage wrote:The natural protown thing to do, would be to come into the game and say who you think is suspicious. Why would someone protown want to waste time defending themselves from people who are probably scum themselves?
The natural protown thing to do would be to
not
ignore questions asked by everyone else, completely contrary to what you have suggested. Ignoring questions makes you look like scum. Looking like scum means you're acting like scum. Acting like scum is not protown. Answering questions is also not always a defense. It's clarification.

Secondly, that's a poor excuse to go after Sefer, saying that he should ignore questions from "those who are likely scum themselves". What makes it likely that any one of his questioners is scum? Do you know something that we do not?
Sefer wrote:I don't know that he's more likely to be newbie scum than newbie town, though; I've seen overdefensive town newbies before (heck, I've been an overdefensive town newbie before). Is there a case against him besides "he makes bad arguments," or are the people voting him just reacting to that?
He is typically like this in every game. Though recently he has been able to formulate somewhat logical posts, this is definitely one of his more aggressive games.
Nightfall
Nightfall
Mafia Scum
Nightfall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1088 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Post by Nightfall »

Twito wrote:
DragonsofSummer wrote:Twito do you have any basis at all for that guarantee? Or is it just a gut thing? Because all BM is doing in my opinion is making Sefer look logical while he looks... well like BM.
I'm not basing a smallest part of what I've said on any of BM's comments.
I think his point is that BM's posts aren't helping you out any, and you might need an even stronger arguement to get Sefer lynched now.
Once Nightfall comes, everyone's dead...
DragonsofSummer
DragonsofSummer
Mafia Scum
DragonsofSummer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1089 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Post by DragonsofSummer »

Thats my point exactly. I want to know what your case against Sefer is, in detail, Twito.
"I want you to hit me as hard as you can."
-Tyler Durden
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #1090 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:19 am

Post by Battle Mage »

i have replaced into numerous games before. I have also seen numerous other replacments occur, and very few have chosen to act so defensively in their first post.
focussing your attention on things that you are told to focus on by players who you dont know the affiliation of is not a wise move. Often the first people to befriend a new player will be Mafia, and they will try to guide your first interpretations. If you were a protown player, you would read the whole game for yourself, and draw your own opinions, BEFORE reading others requests.
Yes perhaps RRs replacement will face questions, but those questions will be based on identifying whether or not he is scum. When you are protown, your main aim is to find scum. Defending yourself is an obvious plus, but it is not as important as actually helping to find who is Mafia.

Being condescending alone isnt an argument. In Mafia, it is good to employ a policy whereby you trust no-one unless you have very good reason. It is quite possible that people who try to lead you are Mafia themselves. This chance is increased if you know you are protown.

You call it 'indicating a willingness to learn' i call it 'searching for an escape route'. If you werent happy with your vote, you could have unvoted and looked elsewhere. However im not saying that you are wrong to ask others opinions. Its just the tone of your post which made you seem scummy. May i suggest in future you dedicate more time to looking for scum yourself? why trust unknowns when you could trust your own judgement?
:roll:
My arguments arent newbie, or over-defensive. They are logical considering that i am supposed to be catching Mafia. Dont forget, in Mafia it is not just what you say, but how you say it.
I still need to reread on Olio, but in the meantime, my vote stands.
BM
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1091 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:48 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Battle Mage wrote: focussing your attention on things that you are told to focus on by players who you dont know the affiliation of is not a wise move. Often the first people to befriend a new player will be Mafia, and they will try to guide your first interpretations. If you were a protown player, you would read the whole game for yourself, and draw your own opinions, BEFORE reading others requests.
<snip>
My arguments arent newbie, or over-defensive. They are logical considering that i am supposed to be catching Mafia. Dont forget, in Mafia it is not just what you say, but how you say it.
Your argument isnt logical, its WIFOM. If often the first people to befriend a new player is mafia, then to catch mafia, all I have to do is replace in and ask someone to help me. But then mafia would know I know this and so I should look for the person who doesnt help me.....
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #1092 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:50 am

Post by Battle Mage »

yes, but until the Mafia realise this, it is a valid argument.

Ectomancer wrote:
Battle Mage wrote: focussing your attention on things that you are told to focus on by players who you dont know the affiliation of is not a wise move. Often the first people to befriend a new player will be Mafia, and they will try to guide your first interpretations. If you were a protown player, you would read the whole game for yourself, and draw your own opinions, BEFORE reading others requests.
<snip>
Your argument isnt logical, its WIFOM. If often the first people to befriend a new player is mafia, then to catch mafia, all I have to do is replace in and ask someone to help me. But then mafia would know I know this and so I should look for the person who doesnt help me.....
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1093 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:58 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Wow! We really should have kept this a town secret! *sigh* Cats out of the bag now :roll:
Twito
Twito
Mafia Scum
Twito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1094 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:30 am

Post by Twito »

Kison wrote:Twito, you seem to be basing your suspicion on Sefer supporting Raging Rabbit. Yet you think Raging Rabbit is scum, and there's obviously not enough momentum there for people to be convinced of that. Why is Sefer any more likely? What about his support looks scummy?
I'm not sure whether or not Raging Rabbit is scum I'll give him another night to confirm himself if he can. I'm convinced he is a moron but moron doesn't always equal scum.

Sefer is much more likely. Olio is good and experienced player and he was strongly supporting the completely ridicilous argument by RR. He knew the argument was bullshit if he were town he wouldn't support it.
In top of that there is the way Sefer replaced in to the game. Screamed scum to me. In PSP2SUX-mafia he was scum I was town we both are death and I caught him based on his way of replacing. Fine didn't really catch him as I didn't get town to follow me.
Show

Twito
Twito
Mafia Scum
Twito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1095 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:31 am

Post by Twito »

HackerHuck wrote:
Ectomancer wrote:Im already voting BM Zindy. I thought my comment was at least a slightly humorous way of expressing my views of his last recent actions.
:GoodPosting:

I think that Twito's vote reeks of OMGUS and BM is being opportunistic.
Vote: BattleMage

I'm much happier with this wagon.
Note to self: HH is scum with Sefer.
Show

Twito
Twito
Mafia Scum
Twito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1096 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:34 am

Post by Twito »

DragonsofSummer wrote:Thats my point exactly. I want to know what your case against Sefer is, in detail, Twito.
Now I want to know your case againts who ever you suspect most, in detail, DoS.
Show

Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #1097 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:04 am

Post by Thesp »

Ectomancer wrote:Your argument isnt logical, its WIFOM. If often the first people to befriend a new player is mafia, then to catch mafia, all I have to do is replace in and ask someone to help me. But then mafia would know I know this and so I should look for the person who doesnt help me.....
*sigh* This is not WIFOM. What you are describing is a process of:

1. Recognizing a tell which indicates a stronger likelihood of a player being scum;
2. Explaining said tell to persuade another player of a point; and
3. Metagame shift which neutralizes said tell.

WIFOM follows a different pattern:

1w. Recognizing a tell which indicates a stronger likelihood of a player being
town
; and
2w. Deliberately enacting said tell
and using it in defense of self's likelihood of townieness

Would you agree this is what has gone on here?
There is nothing wrong with trying to recognize patterns by which scum more likely operate, rather, it is the heart of the game.
Now, you might disagree with his assessment of (1.), and perhaps rightly so. (I think the premise of his argument is incorrect. His form, however, is perfect.) However, branding it with WIFOM makes absolutely no sense.
FOS: Ectomancer.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1098 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:17 am

Post by Ectomancer »

As I understand it, that FOS along with your description of WIFOM is ridiculous. Never have I heard anyone else explain that the only way a situation is WIFOM is if it indicates a town leaning and is used to defend your towniness. Thats certainly not the way the wiki describes the situation.

Lets take BM's premise as fact for the sake of argument. Men who tip their hats in greeting are typically from England. (or in this case scum greets you helpfully) Since everyone knows this, you tipped your hat, therefore you must be scum. But then you would know that I know men fom England typically tip their hats, and so you wouldnt tip your hat. But then you would know that I would know that you would know and...

That's my understanding of WIFOM, and thats what I see BM doing, and that is completely aside from whether his premise is correct in the first place.

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1099 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:43 am

Post by Glork »

Jalyn replaces Raging Rabbit, effective immediately.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”