Worst role ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Lord Mhork
Lord Mhork
Jack of All Trades
Lord Mhork
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4525 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:34 am

Post by Lord Mhork »

What's honorable?
Show
Seven Deadly Sins. Six thrilling chapters. One epic adventure.
Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords
Chapter One: Burnt Offerings

~
Get to Know a Mhork
~
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4526 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:20 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 4519, drmyshotgun wrote:
In post 4518, saulres wrote:With the amount of lurking that site meta seems to endorse, getting to 1000 posts for someone who can be online a lot, without getting complaints, should be no problem at all.
Really?? 1000 posts? That's 40 pages. For one guy...Need I make it Mr. 10000?
1) Me, DGB, AngryPigeon, and Majiffy form a hydra
2) we get this role
3) game is over before confirmation stage
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4527 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:26 am

Post by StefanB »

Worst role that someone actually hinted at having in a game. (So not quite so bad as some of those
You are an x-shot daycop x-shot vig.
(Modnote: Paranoid)
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4528 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:23 am

Post by Alduskkel »

In post 4526, kuribo wrote:
In post 4519, drmyshotgun wrote:
In post 4518, saulres wrote:With the amount of lurking that site meta seems to endorse, getting to 1000 posts for someone who can be online a lot, without getting complaints, should be no problem at all.
Really?? 1000 posts? That's 40 pages. For one guy...Need I make it Mr. 10000?
1) Me, DGB, AngryPigeon, and Majiffy form a hydra
2) we get this role
3) game is over before confirmation stage
Needs more Vifam.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Tragedy
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4529 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by Tragedy »

Because kuribo/Grey.

Florist
- You shove flowers into people's possession. What good are they? I'm sure they can either be bombs, poisons or intoxicants, all just to beam 'em up for the sake of love~! You must give someone flowers in Night 1 and continue to do so in the subsequent nights. You win when your target lives until the end game.

Do note that the target can either die Night 1, Day 2 or Night 2 due to your gratuitous flowers... All for the sake of love~!
I blame you for this.
For I have been awaiting for another heart pounding segment of
Dokidoki Precure!

[10/15/2013 - 00:13] -
Tragedy
~
I wish for Kami-nii-sama to have better naming skills.
JKLM
JKLM
Goon
JKLM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4530 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Post by JKLM »

It's not the worst role in the world, but I always envisioned a large setup with

5 mafia goons

12 townies

1 Jester super bomb (kills everyone on their lynch)

And there would be normal roles that would be only activated once the bomb went off to restore normalcy after the massive flips.

That OR

3 mafia goons
8 townies
1 jester super bomb

No night actions. Eternal day. Best case scenario for mafia, insta win. Worst case scenario, they insta lose. The reactions of the closing wagon on the Jester would allow for the game to continue normally.

If I wanted to be balanced I would reinstated Nk's when there is only 1 mafian left.

But this is not about fairness.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #4531 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Post by FakeGod »

In post 4525, Lord Mhork wrote:What's honorable?
Honorable vigs die if they shoot town.

And their kill fails.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Calling all touhou fans!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4532 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:13 am

Post by callforjudgement »

You are a
Deadline Jester

You win if a day goes to deadline.

(Probably more interesting if using plurality deadlines.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #4533 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 am

Post by Who »

In post 4532, callforjudgement wrote:You are a
Deadline Jester

What would be interesting would be if there was a game of only those, except with the following added restrictions:
1) Only on day one (You lose if there is a lynch day one)
2) You must have your vote on the biggest wagon at the end of the day (Note: Ties are unacceptable. The wagon must be greater than all other wagons, not greater than or equal to)
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4534 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Post by Natirasha »

In post 4532, callforjudgement wrote:You are a
Deadline Jester

I remember a game back in the day with a Cult of Pacifism(won if game ever no lynched). I always liked that role.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4535 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am

Post by saulres »

You are a
Marketing Ploy

All your posts must be QR Codes linking to somewhere where you've indicated what you're trying to say.

You win if your codes are scanned 100 times.

"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #4536 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by Who »

You are a lover's cult!
You can recruit someone each night to join you. If one of you dies, you all die. You win when you control at least half of the town and there are no other anti-town factions remaining.
Who said that?
Or is it?
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4537 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:18 pm

Post by saulres »

How is that different from the existing cult role, first variation?
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #4538 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Post by Who »

In that variation mass-suicide only occurs when the leader dies. In my version, mass-suicide occurs when any of them die.
Who said that?
Or is it?
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4539 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:53 am

Post by notscience »

In post 4525, Lord Mhork wrote:What's honorable?
Die if its town

see: My role in Touhou
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4540 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Post by Natirasha »

In post 4536, Who wrote:You are a lover's cult!
You can recruit someone each night to join you. If one of you dies, you all die. You win when you control at least half of the town and there are no other anti-town factions remaining.
I like this role.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Programmer_112
Programmer_112
Townie
Programmer_112
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4541 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:05 am

Post by Programmer_112 »

Omnipotent Psycho

Day Actions: You cannot be lynched. However, all of your posts must be in Braille or Mandarin Chinese, or a combination of both
Night Actions: You can investigate anyone without fail and immediately learn their role, regardless of being roleblocked or any other problem that may come up. You may also choose to make a kill each night. However, the kill is randomly determined. This kill is also unstoppable. You may kill yourself
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4542 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:46 am

This one isn't all that Worst at all, really, but it's a bit of a logistical nightmare, which may make it qualify, causes time paradoxes if you put two in a game, which definitely makes it qualify, and possibly overpowered. Also awesome enough that I had to post it anyway.

You are a
Clairvoyant Mafia Tracker

You have your voice, vote, factional communication, and factional night kill. You win with the scum.

Each night, you may investigate one player to see who they target. The investigation results are conceptually available to your faction during the night phase, rather than the morning as normal. Specifically, the investigation results will be posted in the QT in the morning, because you could have communicated it to your teammates before the night ended; and you and your teammates may submit actions that are conditional on your investigation results.
scum
town
windkirby
windkirby
Goon
windkirby
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4543 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 am

Post by windkirby »

In post 4542, callforjudgement wrote:This one isn't all that Worst at all, really, but it's a bit of a logistical nightmare, which may make it qualify, causes time paradoxes if you put two in a game, which definitely makes it qualify, and possibly overpowered. Also awesome enough that I had to post it anyway.

You are a
Clairvoyant Mafia Tracker

You have your voice, vote, factional communication, and factional night kill. You win with the scum.

Each night, you may investigate one player to see who they target. The investigation results are conceptually available to your faction during the night phase, rather than the morning as normal. Specifically, the investigation results will be posted in the QT in the morning, because you could have communicated it to your teammates before the night ended; and you and your teammates may submit actions that are conditional on your investigation results.
I actually love that haha. Maybe a bit OP yeah. But very interesting.
jr637
jr637
Watcher
jr637
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4544 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:11 am

Post by jr637 »

In post 4530, JKLM wrote:It's not the worst role in the world, but I always envisioned a large setup with

5 mafia goons

12 townies

1 Jester super bomb (kills everyone on their lynch)

And there would be normal roles that would be only activated once the bomb went off to restore normalcy after the massive flips.

That OR

3 mafia goons
8 townies
1 jester super bomb

No night actions. Eternal day. Best case scenario for mafia, insta win. Worst case scenario, they insta lose. The reactions of the closing wagon on the Jester would allow for the game to continue normally.

If I wanted to be balanced I would reinstated Nk's when there is only 1 mafian left.

But this is not about fairness.
Oh god, a jester super bomb. I WANT TO SEE THIS IN AN ACTUAL GAME.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4545 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 am

You are a
Fake Innocent Child

At the start of the game, the mod will confirm you as town. This is actually nothing to do with your role, though, as you aren't actually an Innocent Child, and as such the mod statement about your alignment cannot be trusted.

You win with the town.
scum
town
jr637
jr637
Watcher
jr637
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4546 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:39 am

Post by jr637 »

This is a legitimate role that I think would be good to add to the game.

You are a
Felon.
(Scum aligned)

At any point during the night, you will be allowed to turn yourself in and be sent to jail. While in jail, you will kill whoever the jailkeeper has protected. (The only role that is able to do this.) However, the jailkeeper has seen your face and now knows you're mafia. (1/2-shot, depending upon the whims of the moderator.)

I can't think of a variant for if there's an alien in lieu of the jailkeeper. Is this too horribly overpowered of a role? (I feel like it is, especially if the person who's being protected has roleclaimed.)
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4547 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 am

That Felon role is pretty weak throughout much of the game, but becomes overpowered later (especially the night before lylo).

It's also overpowered if you know who the JK is; you use the Felon shot and NK the JK on the same night.

This is tempered somewhat by the fact that the JK should, in most situations, be targeting scum anyway, so perhaps it's best just not to use the rule at all. (What happens if you're jailkept the night you try to use it, btw? It doesn't really make sense for you to kill yourself, but it also doesn't make sense for the JK to block the action.)
scum
town
jr637
jr637
Watcher
jr637
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4548 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:48 am

Post by jr637 »

In post 4547, callforjudgement wrote:That Felon role is pretty weak throughout much of the game, but becomes overpowered later (especially the night before lylo).

It's also overpowered if you know who the JK is; you use the Felon shot and NK the JK on the same night.

This is tempered somewhat by the fact that the JK should, in most situations, be targeting scum anyway, so perhaps it's best just not to use the rule at all. (What happens if you're jailkept the night you try to use it, btw? It doesn't really make sense for you to kill yourself, but it also doesn't make sense for the JK to block the action.)
Crap, that's true. Guess I'm still getting used to this. I suppose that the only way this role wouldn't be OP is if the JK hasn't yet roleclaimed. As for the question about getting jailed and using the power at the same time, I don't have an answer for that one. I always assumed the JK functioned much the same way as the doctor, protecting important townie roles. (Which is why I assumed that this setup was fairly well-balanced.)

What would be even worse is if the JK jails the felon, the Felon automatically kills the JK. That would somehow be even more overpowered.

How would you change this role to make it more balanced?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4549 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:53 am

One common reason to misjudge a setup balance is to assume that a JK role will be used as a Doctor. It can be used like that, but mostly only on VTs, and Doctor-protecting a VT rarely gains the town very much (unless you pull it off twice in a game). On the other hand, the Roleblocking side of it is around as strong as (maybe a little worse than) a Tracker, which is not a weak role at all. So JKs should normally aim for scum, especially if there's only one left.

EDIT: Oh, and I missed the "how would you balance this role" point. If you wanted something not awful (i.e. not the sort of thing that people come to the threads for), make the role discover all JK targets when they turn themselves in (in addition to gaining JK protection and becoming unable to use other abilities that night), and tell the JK that their ability seemed to affect more people than it should, but not why (they'll most likely assume they hit someone that a Hider was hiding behind). That role is definitely useful, in that it gains you information about what the town is doing that can help you work out what happened overnight, and protects you from vig kills, but it's much more marginal.
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”