[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6550 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:19 am

Post by BBmolla »

In regards to your setup, why would you use your Doctor power as the Serial Killer?

And town seems pretty boned.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Whiskers
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6551 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:35 am

Post by Whiskers »

Zombi 9

1 Goon
1 Zombie

1 Landmine
6 Townies

Zombie
is a lynchproof mafia goon. When it targets a player with Nightkill, the Zombie dies instead and the target becomes the new zombie.
Landmine
is a bulletproof cop/vig/bomb/lyncher thing that kills its target and dies, only when its target is the Zombie.

Discuss.
Integrity, Pride, Confidence, Anger, and Truth.
Whiskers
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6552 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:45 am

Post by Whiskers »

In post 6550, BBmolla wrote:In regards to your setup, why would you use your Doctor power as the Serial Killer?

And town seems pretty boned.
SK has the doc just to fuck with people-- also wanted to give them the ability to only kill Mafia, if they want, by Doc'ing and SK'ing the same player. If Mafia, the kill goes through. If Town, Doc functions.

Maybe make it a Doc Vig instead? But that gives an awful lot of power to one role.
BBmolla wrote:
In post 6547, Whiskers wrote:Gonna go ahead and say, that sucks for whoever draws this role. In fact... why include it at all? Day 1 is least likely to result in an informed lynch, and the player dies anyway. Optimal play for this role is to just not talk-- ever. No association, no tells, no reads.
If you do that, you get lynched and you fuck over your buddy because town has two chances instead of one to catch him. Why is that optimal?
Except, no. I mean, ok, there's a chance of that. But somebody will talk people out of lynch all lurkers. Or maybe the Sui. talks
some
. I know what I said, but if I were in that role (and didn't lose the motivation to play altogether), I'd set up some nice ties to a nice townie, with a little WIFOM vs my partner.
But uh, yeah. I wouldn't say that, even if you lurk almost completely, you're in too much danger of being lynched. Unless the site meta has changed significantly while I was away.
BBmolla wrote:Your setup removes the entire point of mine, the mafia have to try to set themselves up for a successful LYLO. So they both want to survive, and they don't want to look bad once the suicidal one dies.
I'm sorry, "Both"? Your setup only has one other Goon. So "the
other one
doesn't want to look bad."
My setup is just playing with a different mechanic, kind of. I thought it would be more fun than "sorry, you got the short straw."
:\
But I guess I still don't understand the appeal of such small games.

There is also a lack of 6P setups, hence mine. Making it 10p goes against my original goal.[/quote]
Integrity, Pride, Confidence, Anger, and Truth.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6553 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:47 am

Post by BBmolla »

Oh gotcha, I see where you're going with the setup. Hm. Lemme think about it.
In post 6552, Whiskers wrote:Except, no. I mean, ok, there's a chance of that. But somebody will talk people out of lynch all lurkers. Or maybe the Sui. talks some. I know what I said, but if I were in that role (and didn't lose the motivation to play altogether), I'd set up some nice ties to a nice townie, with a little WIFOM vs my partner.
But uh, yeah. I wouldn't say that, even if you lurk almost completely, you're in too much danger of being lynched. Unless the site meta has changed significantly while I was away.
Uh okay?
I mean I don't see how this is different from any other game.

The appeal is that normally in a 6p, it's day 1 mylo. Here it's guarunteed to have two (three if you lynch the suicidal goon) lynches, making it an actual mafia game with connections despite being 6p. The only current decent 6p in the lovers one, which is nightless with 2 mafia lovers and 4 vts. I like more deaths to happen, and with this you get more flips to base stuff on.

It's probably better suited for skype mafia. Or face to face.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6554 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Post by pieguyn »

was thinking about duck duck goose cause I like the idea of the whole town having 1-shot abilities, and came up with this

3 - mafia goon
10 - 1-shot tracker

I have no idea if it's balanced but throwing it out there anyway
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6555 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Post by Cabd »

Force everyone to target the player above them on the player list; and 1 scum is pretty dead day two.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6556 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Post by pieguyn »

can't the same thing happen in duck duck goose if every single PGO arms themselves N1 o.o

I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage that is
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6557 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Post by Cabd »

Unless the three goons are all next to each other in the list, tracking somebody to "nowhere" night one is a guilty. So AT LEAST one scum player confirmed.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6558 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Post by Cabd »

Hint: you can fix this by giving scum 1-shot tracker ability too.
Show

pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6559 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Post by pieguyn »

holy crap that's a massive oversight. I need to quit trying to do stuff at 2 in the morning @_@

3 - mafia 1-shot tracker
10 - 1-shot tracker

I'd guess mafia can't track and kill on the same night but I don't think it even makes a difference
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6560 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 6553, BBmolla wrote:Oh gotcha, I see where you're going with the setup. Hm. Lemme think about it.
In post 6552, Whiskers wrote:Except, no. I mean, ok, there's a chance of that. But somebody will talk people out of lynch all lurkers. Or maybe the Sui. talks some. I know what I said, but if I were in that role (and didn't lose the motivation to play altogether), I'd set up some nice ties to a nice townie, with a little WIFOM vs my partner.
Uh okay?

The appeal is that normally in a 6p, it's day 1 mylo. Here it's guarunteed to have two (three if you lynch the suicidal goon) lynches, making it an actual mafia game with connections despite being 6p. The only current decent 6p in the lovers one, which is nightless with 2 mafia lovers and 4 vts. I like more deaths to happen, and with this you get more flips to base stuff on.

Molla, instead of a suicidal goon, you could just force the mafia to off one of their own N1 if there is a town lynch on D1
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6561 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6560, quadz08 wrote:
In post 6553, BBmolla wrote:Oh gotcha, I see where you're going with the setup. Hm. Lemme think about it.
Uh okay?

Molla, instead of a suicidal goon, you could just force the mafia to off one of their own N1 if there is a town lynch on D1
Yeah I could. I just liked the whole "okay, you're dying for sure, so we have to make me look good" sort of thing.

But that might make the setup more exciting? It's very similar to Scumhunters at that point but *shrug*

Hotline Mafia

6 Players:

2 Mafia Goons

4 Vanilla Townies

• If town is lynched day 1, mafia get to nightkill a player, but must also sacrifice one of themselves.
  • If mafia is lynched day 1, no nightkill occurs for the first night.
Last edited by BBmolla on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agi102
agi102
Goon
agi102
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6562 (ISO) » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Post by agi102 »

I haven't played enough games to mod, but

Castle Mafia (13p)

1 King (that knows what every other town role is, but turns up GUILTY if investigated)
2 Vig (Flavor: Knight)
3 Vengeful (Flavor: Servant)
1 Jester
2 Jester Servant
1 Jester Knight
1 Jester Cop (Flavor: Councillor)
2 1-shot Bulletproof Mafia Roleblocker

Wild West (20p)

7 3-shot Dayvigs
5 2-shot Lynchproof
3 Vengeful
5 1-shot Lynchproof 1-shot Mafia Dayvig Jesters

Nightless. Each vig needs a day to reload so he can fire the day after he reloads (which is after when he shoots). All kills count as Lynches.

Very Mountainous (50p)

1 VT
1 Goon
48 SK
Too harsh, but can be used by bastard mods.

35 VT
4 Mafia Goon
4 Werewolves
4 SK
3 Survivors

The Room (10p)

1 Bulletproof 2-shot Psychiatrist
1 2-shot Deathproof Watchlisted Loved 1-shot Psychiatrist 1-shot Vigilante
1 2-shot Bulletproof FBI Agent
1 Investigation-Immune SK
1 2-shot Bulletproof SK
1 3-shot Bulletproof Hated SK
1 2-shot Lynchproof SK
1 3-shot Lynchproof 3-Shot SK
1 1-shot Deathproof SK
1 2-shot Deathproof Voteless SK

Watchlisted is SK version of Miller. Loved = +1 votes to lynch. Hated = -1 votes to lynch.

WePick (11p)

4 roles are chosen out of the following to give to town.

Vigilante
Cop
Doctor
Bus Driver
Roleblocker
Jailkeeper

3 roles are chosen out of the following to give to mafia.

Lightning Rod
Roleblocker*
Jester
1-shot Strongman*
1-shot Ninja*
Godfather*

*If all three roles chosen are part of these 4 roles, pick two of those to give to mafia.

10 roles are chosen out of the following.

Serial Killer
Serial Killer
Alien Prober
Alien Psychomagnet
Cult Recruiter
2-shot Cultafia Recruiter
Nymphomaniac
Sanity Cop (Doesn't go without two or more cop/doc sanities)
Insane Cop
Paranoid Cop
Naive Cop
Random Cop
False Cop
Derp Cop (He thinks he's a Cop but he's actually a Roleblocker)
Quack (maf doc that doesn't know he's maf)
Faith Healer
Naive Doctor
Paranoid Doctor (actually a JK)
Insane Doctor (Psychiatrist and Doc)
CPR Doctor
Cryptic Doctor (He thinks he's a Doctor but he's actually a PGO Visitor.)
Moo (SK doc that doesn't know he's SK)
Surgery Doctor (Faith Healer that kills if he fails)
1-shot Bulletproof
2-shot Bulletproof
3-shot Bulletproof
4-shot Bulletproof
1-shot Lynchproof
2-shot Lynchproof
3-shot Lynchproof
4-shot Lynchproof
1-shot Deathproof
2-shot Deathproof
3-shot Deathproof
Bulletproof
Lynchproof
Deathproof
False 1-shot Bulletproof
False 2-shot Bulletproof
False 3-shot Bulletproof
False 4-shot Bulletproof
False 1-shot Lynchproof
False 2-shot Lynchproof
False 3-shot Lynchproof
False 4-shot Lynchproof
False 1-shot Deathproof
False 2-shot Deathproof
False 3-shot Deathproof
False Bulletproof
False Lynchproof
False Deathproof
Tree Stump
Restless Spirit
Mason
Mason
Mason
Lover
Lover
Lover
Werewolf
Werewolf
Universal Miller
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

(Sanities or Falses not revealed)

Then have players choose what 8 roles they want in the game. Add 3 VTs.

Gold! (15p)

4 VT
2 Miner
1 Doctor
1 Sheriff (Cop/Vig)
1 Deputy (1-shot Cop, 1-shot Vig, becomes full Sheriff after original dies)
2 Deputy Wannabes (1-shot Vig, one random Wannabe becomes Deputy after Deputy is Sheriff or dies)
1 Manager
1 Malevolent Miner
1 Malevolent Thief
1 Malevolent VT

Each night (including N0 where scum doesn't do anything) each player mines 1 Gold. Each day the Gold is set at a price. It goes down as players sell Gold and rises over time. When the Manager dies, the economy is shut down and the player with the most Gold throws all his Gold off a cliff and kills the guy with the least Gold. The other people can keep their Gold. 3 days after Manager dies a VT becomes Manager and economy restarts. This is publicly announced.

What are the Miner and Thief?

Miner mines 3 Gold instead of one each day. Thief can steal 2 Gold from another player twice a night. If a target has 1 Gold, they steal that 1 Gold. If a target has no Gold, the Thief steals $150 instead. Speaking of money,

The price for Gold is normally set at $80 per. Money is used at night to buy things. These things may vary, like a wagon, a shack, or a TV. Invariably, however, they increase happiness. At least for town! For scum (Malevolent), it buys one shot powers.

Also, when scum kills, they gain Notoriety equal to a tenth of that person's happiness squared. (Mod should make happiness reasonably low to make this fair.) If scum's Notoriety exceeds Town happiness when they control over half the town, they win. Otherwise, they draw. Town wins when scum are wiped out.

-Scum share a vault.
-Sheriff and Deputy know each other.
-You can also buy Gold from the Sheriff. Unless you are scum, in which case he murders you. Do this by targeting him at night when you have no action.
-The killed at night turn into Tree Stumps.
-The Doctor can make Tree Stumps actual people again.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #6563 (ISO) » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Would you actually want to play in any of those?

Be honest.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6564 (ISO) » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Post by BBmolla »

What is a Mafia Jester
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6565 (ISO) » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 6562, agi102 wrote:I haven't played enough games to mod, but

Castle Mafia (13p)

1 King (that knows what every other town role is, but turns up GUILTY if investigated)
1 Jester
2 Jester Servant
1 Jester Knight
By default the game is open, so what is the use of the king?

Also 5 jesters in a 13p game is rediculous, the "Mafia roleblocker" may as well be an SK.
Wild West (20p)

7 3-shot Dayvigs
5 2-shot Lynchproof
3 Vengeful

Nightless. Each vig needs a day to reload so he can fire the day after he reloads (which is after when he shoots). All kills count as Lynches.
So the point of this game is what exactly?

You roll Mafia Jester or instant lose.
1 2-shot Bulletproof SK
1 2-shot Lynchproof SK
1 1-shot Deathproof SK

Watchlisted is SK version of Miller. Loved = +1 votes to lynch. Hated = -1 votes to lynch.
This game is stupid in so many ways. 3 town vs 7 SK's is basically a SK win waiting to happen, so again instant loss as a townie.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
agi102
agi102
Goon
agi102
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6566 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Post by agi102 »

In post 6565, JasonWazza wrote:
In post 6562, agi102 wrote:I haven't played enough games to mod, but

Castle Mafia (13p)

1 Jester
2 Jester Servant
1 Jester Knight
By default the game is open, so what is the use of the king?
He knows WHO those people are. Ok, let's change it so that he can't hint at who is scum.

Also 5 jesters in a 13p game is rediculous, the "Mafia roleblocker" may as well be an SK.
Wild West (20p)

7 3-shot Dayvigs
5 2-shot Lynchproof
3 Vengeful

No idea. I think I wanted it to be swingy.

The town is 15 players. the scum is 5 players. And the lynchproofs stay alive quite easily.

1 2-shot Bulletproof SK
1 2-shot Lynchproof SK
1 1-shot Deathproof SK

This game is stupid in so many ways. 3 town vs 7 SK's is basically a SK win waiting to happen, so again instant loss as a townie.

I equipped town with some tools to use. Psychiatrists, in case you didn't know, turn SKs into VTs. FBI Agent is for the lategame. Some of the SKs have negative role modifiers.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6567 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 6566, agi102 wrote:He knows WHO those people are. Ok, let's change it so that he can't hint at who is scum.
How? Why? What is the point to provide Town with information that they cannot use, and how are you supposed to control it? Can you imagine how not fun such a role is?
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6568 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 6566, agi102 wrote:
In post 6565, JasonWazza wrote:
Wild West (20p)

7 3-shot Dayvigs
5 2-shot Lynchproof
3 Vengeful

No idea. I think I wanted it to be swingy.

The town is 15 players. the scum is 5 players. And the lynchproofs stay alive quite easily.
All kills count as lynches

Jester = lynch win
Mafia = majority win
Mafia Jester = NO POSSIBLE LOSS IN A GAME WHERE KILLS ARE LYNCHES
Archetype
Archetype
Townie
Archetype
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6569 (ISO) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Post by Archetype »

Giants vs Humans
2 Giants

10 Humans

Giants are essentially Mafia Goons. They get nightchat and a factional kill.
Humans are basically Town Compulsive Hiders. Except multiple people can hide behind the same person and when you do hide actions that target you still effect you.

So it's basically a game a WIFOM. Town wants to confirm certain players, but they don't want to target the obvious player or they'll get mass-killed by scum. But then scum can anticipate that and shoot the least likely person. And of course Town can die by just targeting scum.

Thoughts? It's a bit scum-sided now, so maybe randomly assign each of the Townies as Even or Odd night? Could add another layer of depth.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #6570 (ISO) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Post by FakeGod »

In post 6569, Archetype wrote:Giants vs Humans
2 Giants

10 Humans

Humans are basically Town Compulsive Hiders. Except multiple people can hide behind the same person and when you do hide actions that target you still effect you.

So it's basically a game a WIFOM. Town wants to confirm certain players, but they don't want to target the obvious player or they'll get mass-killed by scum. But then scum can anticipate that and shoot the least likely person. And of course Town can die by just targeting scum.

Thoughts? It's a bit scum-sided now, so maybe randomly assign each of the Townies as Even or Odd night? Could add another layer of depth.
Not sure if trolling, but I'll bite.

Obvious Breaking strategy:

Players assign 1 through 12 to each player, and no lynch.

Every player targets the player who has 1 more than their number (i.e. #1 hides behind #2, etc.), and player #12 hides behind #1.

Even with the giant's night kill, only max three players will be killed. Giants have been narrowed down to three players, and it's currently 2 vs 7.

GG.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Calling all touhou fans!
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6571 (ISO) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 6570, FakeGod wrote:
2 Giants

10 Humans

Every player targets the player who has 1 more than their number (i.e. #1 hides behind #2, etc.), and player #12 hides behind #1.

Even with the giant's night kill, only max three players will be killed. Giants have been narrowed down to three players, and it's currently 2 vs 7.

GG.
Ummm no? cause no one can tell if they were hidden behind?

So giants just kill out of order (say 3-4 away from their numbers) and boom they are safe.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #6572 (ISO) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

hider a behind hider b
Hider b behind hider a
Scum shoot hider a

Solution. Please actually consider these problems when wanting a game with multiple hiders.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #6573 (ISO) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Post by FakeGod »

In post 6571, JasonWazza wrote:
In post 6570, FakeGod wrote:
2 Giants

10 Humans

GG.
Ummm no? cause no one can tell if they were hidden behind?

So giants just kill out of order (say 3-4 away from their numbers) and boom they are safe.
Say giants are numbers 3 and 7.

Hider 2 and hider 6 will die, yes?

Say giants kill "out of order" and shoot (say 3-4 away from their numbers) hider 11. This does not kill hider 11, since hider 11 is hiding behind hider 12, but it kills hider 10 who was hiding behind hider 11.

Now we have hider 2, 6 and 10 dead, and this incriminates players 3, 7 and 11.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

Calling all touhou fans!
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #6574 (ISO) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Post by FakeGod »

In post 6572, Cheery Dog wrote:hider a behind hider b
Hider b behind hider a
Scum shoot hider a

Solution. Please actually consider these problems when wanting a game with multiple hiders.
I was assuming mod wasn't retarded and auto-fails any cross-hiding attempts.

Calling all touhou fans!

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”