Mewbie 1442 the second -- Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #400 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:21 am

Post by CrisP »

woops, that was posted in the middle, sorry :P
I agree that this slot is null, but the inactivity is starting to become a liability.
She is also a massive low hanging fruit, so you bringing her up is a small flag.
but I agree, the more I look at her defence day 2 the more it looks like she is town.
If you read on you will see I believe that her defence looked town because the accusations that were moved against her were wrong, so she just had to be truthfull to be convincing.
General etiquette on this site is to not hammer without at least having a claim.
Nobody brought up this point when RM got lynched, if this is standard practice then GM saying RM looked very scummy for doing it is pretty bad as well.
If you want to kill off a liability, there are better choices. The DC/AA slot hasn't done much and I disappeared for a bit (which would have put me in the liability category)
This was clearly a joke, marked by the :wink:, you using it to push more on the low hanging fruit is worrisome (see earlier quote).
No, Jmo's in the right. Unless the scum-team was a pair of noobs, it's unlikely to happen.
read again, the important thing here was to understand whether Yui113 actually believed this statement.
Bothered by this statement a bit.
You do know, that a completely valid response to this argument you keep throwing around is that you're part of the scum-team, right?
Normally you should be, but in this game I have been put in the unique position of being correctly recognised as town by most people, either because I was the only one trying to move this game forward amidst a bunch of lurkers or because mafia actually wanted to give me town credency because I was pushing on the wrong people, so I'm trying to use this as much as possible. Why do you think you are the only one stating he is worried about it?
Lurker prejudice. Mislynched a lurker. Nope, not seeing the superior quality.
You will have to agree this is the case if you and GM turn out to be mafia.
This, so fuck-off from this particular line of logic before somebody gets mod-killed.
One of the reasons I thought out of game stuff was improbable was because you had just all told me it was explicity disallowed, she should not have posted it in the first place then.
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #401 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:17 am

Post by CrisP »

Two other snippets:

1. Consider the BW JM relationship, one votes the other, says he is a liability and scummy, risks lynching him, the second calls the first a fool town but doesn't otherwise interact either to accuse or defend.

2. Consider the GM Brian relationship, both white knight the other, in one case with a blank statement, and both have the same mafia reads.

Which of these two pairs, given where we are now in the game, with a new player Yui113 we have no real big reads about and a giant lurker slot, is more likely behaving like you would be as mafia?

I'm not discounting other pairs here, I'm saying if it comes down to GM vs JM, at the moment I'm pretty sure who I would vote for.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #402 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:58 am

Post by goodmorning »

In post 400, CrisP wrote:
General etiquette on this site is to not hammer without at least having a claim.
Nobody brought up this point when RM got lynched, if this is standard practice then GM saying RM looked very scummy for doing it is pretty bad as well.
What are you talking about?
This, so fuck-off from this particular line of logic before somebody gets mod-killed.
One of the reasons I thought out of game stuff was improbable was because you had just all told me it was explicity disallowed, she should not have posted it in the first place then.
Not being allowed to discuss it =/= not being allowed to mention it, so long as it's not obvious what you're talking about.

@Brian: I want you do take an in-depth look at my interactions with CrisP and give your thoughts/analysis.

@CrisP: Yui is Town and obviously so.
My most recent opinion of Buck is leaning that way too, as you so conveniently ignored.
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #403 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:01 am

Post by CrisP »

GM wrote:What are you talking about?
A big part of me accusing her was that she decided to claim VT, something that in my games you never (!) do, why would you claim VT, if the lynch doesn't go through then mafia knows you are not a power role and can ignore you as a NK for the rest of the game. But if this is standard practice before a lynch here (why?) then the only thing I really had against her was her very poor motivation for voting JM plus her lurking being a reinforcing factor.
GM wrote:As far as Rach goes, it's not something she couldn't do as Town, but quite frankly it's incredibly scummy of her.
Are you referring solely to her voting for JM here? Because the way I read it at the time included her claim as well.
GM wrote: @CrisP: Yui is Town and obviously so.
Nonsence on the obviously, unless you are coming out as mafia and telling me he is town? I played at least 3 live games where one guy faked being new at the game and then turned out to be mafia but nobody thought he was scum and we did not lynch him. However while I'm not sure at all, I'm leaning town on him.

As you told me, what is better, to question one's reads or to take them as given?
GM wrote:My most recent opinion of Buck is leaning that way too, as you so conveniently ignored.
Not at all, but what you are stating now is far less telling then what you said when there wasn't so much pressure on you, if you are mafia now's the time to misdirect and change the cards on the table, as you appear to be doing.

Also if you unvoted JM for one reason and one reason only, and I presume here that you mean that you don't think he is scum anymore, then please give me your current mafia reads.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #404 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 am

Post by goodmorning »

In post 403, CrisP wrote:
GM wrote:What are you talking about?
A big part of me accusing her was that she decided to claim VT, something that in my games you never (!) do, why would you claim VT, if the lynch doesn't go through then mafia knows you are not a power role and can ignore you as a NK for the rest of the game. But if this is standard practice before a lynch here (why?) then the only thing I really had against her was her very poor motivation for voting JM plus her lurking being a reinforcing factor.
But what does that have to do with me?
GM wrote:As far as Rach goes, it's not something she couldn't do as Town, but quite frankly it's incredibly scummy of her.
Are you referring solely to her voting for JM here? Because the way I read it at the time included her claim as well.
Yes, solely to her vote. Was a p. terrible vote.
GM wrote: @CrisP: Yui is Town and obviously so.
Nonsence on the obviously, unless you are coming out as mafia and telling me he is town? I played at least 3 live games where one guy faked being new at the game and then turned out to be mafia but nobody thought he was scum and we did not lynch him. However while I'm not sure at all, I'm leaning town on him.

As you told me, what is better, to question one's reads or to take them as given?[/quote]
GIF was pretty blatantly Town and Yui hasn't done anything to make me question that.
Also if you unvoted JM for one reason and one reason only, and I presume here that you mean that you don't think he is scum anymore, then please give me your current mafia reads.
I unvoted jmo because he is no longer my strongest scumread.

I didn't revote because I'm in the process of rereading.

I think I know who I'd like to vote, but it depends on that reread and besides I can get better reactions currently if I don't.
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #405 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:53 am

Post by CrisP »

GM wrote:GIF was pretty blatantly Town and Yui hasn't done anything to make me question that.
I disagree, at best GIF was leaning town for me, because I read his early bandwagon on you as more of his town gameplay than his mafia (I know BW that you find it scummy, but different players have different tells), but blatantly? No way, the only fact we have at this point is that RM was town and GIF also voted for her.
Buckwild
Buckwild
Goon
Buckwild
Goon
Goon

Post Post #406 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Post by Buckwild »

prod dodging. Will post Friday for sure.
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #407 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Post by Malakittens »

2.05With 7 alive it's 4 votes to lynch.

Voting for:

*CrisP -
*Yiu113 -
*goodmorning - CrisP [1]
*Brian Skies -
*jmo16mla - Buckwild [1]
*ArcAngel9 - jmo16mla [1]
*Buckwild -
*Nachomamma8 -

Not voting: ArcAngel9, Brian Skies, Yiu113, Goodmorning [4]

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2013-11-29 21:56:00)
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #408 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:34 am

Post by goodmorning »

ughhhh site disturbances
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #409 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:03 am

Post by CrisP »

At this point I'm starting to meta this and think AA is mafia and her lurking is being recognised as a strategy so that's why she hasn't been mod killed yet. I might also pull a JM here and say if AA is town and you can do that I want her blacklisted in my games.
ArcAngel9
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #410 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Post by ArcAngel9 »

In post 409, CrisP wrote:At this point I'm starting to meta this and think AA is mafia and her lurking is being recognised as a strategy so that's why she hasn't been mod killed yet. I might also pull a JM here and say if AA is town and you can do that I want her blacklisted in my games.
Two things...

There is connection with alignments with Modkilling. And Why do you think that my slot was supposed to be Mod killed? Explain?
Sometimes Lurkying also means Busy.. And you're trying to apply policy lynch here.. You understand that you're in a newbie game?

And what the hell about Blacklist? what's your problem.

this is not a town attitude.

VOTE: Crisp
I
n
a
t
i
m
e
o
f
a
n
c
i
e
n
t
g
o
d
s
w
a
r
l
o
r
d
s
a
n
d
k
i
n
g
s
a
l
a
n
d
i
n
t
u
r
m
o
i
l
c
r
i
e
d
o
u
t
f
o
r
a
h
e
r
o
S
h
e
w
a
s
X
e
n
a
a
m
i
g
h
t
y
p
r
i
n
c
e
s
s
f
o
r
g
e
d
i
n
t
h
e
h
e
a
t
o
f
b
a
t
t
l
e
T
h
e
p
o
w
e
r
t
h
e
p
a
s
s
i
o
n
t
h
e
d
a
n
g
e
r
H
e
r
c
o
u
r
a
g
e
w
i
l
l
c
h
a
n
g
e
t
h
e
w
o
r
l
d
-
Xena Warrior Princess, Coming Soon!!
Yiu113
Yiu113
Townie
Yiu113
Townie
Townie

Post Post #411 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Post by Yiu113 »

AA, explain to me what is wrong with policy lynching in a newbie game? You're supposed to play to your win condition. Honestly, you lurking for almost two weeks without doing anything useful to the town? I don't like that.

VOTE: ArcAngel9
ArcAngel9
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #412 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Post by ArcAngel9 »

In post 411, Yiu113 wrote:AA, explain to me what is wrong with policy lynching in a newbie game? You're supposed to play to your win condition. Honestly, you lurking for almost two weeks without doing anything useful to the town? I don't like that.

why youre indicating that i am playing against my win condition? explain that first
lurking is not always scum. have you played any mafia games before? lnfact lurkers are easy scum targets.
I
n
a
t
i
m
e
o
f
a
n
c
i
e
n
t
g
o
d
s
w
a
r
l
o
r
d
s
a
n
d
k
i
n
g
s
a
l
a
n
d
i
n
t
u
r
m
o
i
l
c
r
i
e
d
o
u
t
f
o
r
a
h
e
r
o
S
h
e
w
a
s
X
e
n
a
a
m
i
g
h
t
y
p
r
i
n
c
e
s
s
f
o
r
g
e
d
i
n
t
h
e
h
e
a
t
o
f
b
a
t
t
l
e
T
h
e
p
o
w
e
r
t
h
e
p
a
s
s
i
o
n
t
h
e
d
a
n
g
e
r
H
e
r
c
o
u
r
a
g
e
w
i
l
l
c
h
a
n
g
e
t
h
e
w
o
r
l
d
-
Xena Warrior Princess, Coming Soon!!
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #413 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Post by CrisP »

AA wrote: why youre indicating that i am playing against my win condition? explain that first
You said so yourself
AA wrote:lnfact lurkers are easy scum targets.
It pisses me off in the extreme, that while I as town have wasted a few hours trying to figure out who is mafia and who is town in this game, you, assuming you are town, have decided to join my game in order not to do a fucking thing and give mafia an easy lynch to point at, not only that you are also helping them, assuming you are town, to stay hidden because we don't have a clue about your slot which just makes it that much harder for us.

The fact you even ask this question makes me wonder how many games of mafia you have played by the way.

If you are so busy you can't post a damn thing then stop posting prod dodges and ask for a replacement, I notice you are not to busy to reply when people directly question you, eh?

As far as I am concerned you will either post something good in the near future, leave this game, or recieve my vote for today's lynch.

And your vote on me by the way is really indicative of how you have been playing up to now, you just don't have a clue.
jmo16mla
jmo16mla
Jack of All Trades
jmo16mla
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #414 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:22 am

Post by jmo16mla »

Prod dodge. Sorry guys. Been busy.
town: 15:13 Scum 4:4
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #415 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:39 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 399, CrisP wrote:I'm fine with this kind of wall Brian, if you prefer then the nature of goodmorning walls is a possible scum tell to me:
What's the difference between her walls and mine, and why is this a possible scumtell?
In post 399, CrisP wrote:Yes and does this pair make sense to you now?
It doesn't have to make sense right now. We don't even have a scum-flip yet. It's better to get the first scum in hand before you start worrying about associative tells.

And besides, Buck has been slowly reading more town to me based on content.
In post 399, CrisP wrote:Consider that if BW and JM are mafia buddies, BW just bussed him so hard that a random vote from a newcomer (Yui113) or an unpredictable lurker (ArcAngel9) would have killed his partner and made it so much likelier that you and GM had picked scum from the get go, so next day he would have to defend himself the whole time from you. Does this seem like the kind of play a mafia would make?
1) Hard-bussing can give him towncred. And it's not a bad compromise if he felt his scumbuddy was in trouble.
2) Jmo and BW are not necessarily linked. This is why I told you to not worry so much about associative tells.
3) He might be confident that he can talk his way out of it.
In post 399, CrisP wrote:Does this seem like BW's mafia playstyle?
Never played with him before. And unless I have a very specific reason, I don't meta people.
In post 399, CrisP wrote:Also like I asked GM and BW, have you seen JM fake the asshole defence under pressure or is it something he does when he is accused by new players like RM said and I verified by ISOing him?
You're asking the wrong person.
In post 400, CrisP wrote:She is also a massive low hanging fruit, so you bringing her up is a small flag.
Or it's me pointing out that the slot hasn't done much this game.

Also, low hanging fruit can't be scum?
In post 400, CrisP wrote:If you read on you will see I believe that her defence looked town because the accusations that were moved against her were wrong, so she just had to be truthfull to be convincing.
This is a good point.

But if the accusations against her were wrong, then what do you think about the motivations behind the people pushing those accusations?
In post 400, CrisP wrote:Nobody brought up this point when RM got lynched, if this is standard practice then GM saying RM looked very scummy for doing it is pretty bad as well.
If it's standard practice, then I don't understand why she'd have to point it out. Also, most of the other players in this game have enough experience that they'd know better.

Also, GM put her at L-2. Giffy was the one who but Rach at L-1, stated so, and Rach claimed in the very next post.
In post 400, CrisP wrote:This was clearly a joke, marked by the :wink:, you using it to push more on the low hanging fruit is worrisome (see earlier quote).
This is just me pointing out why I don't like what you said.

And unless I have a really good reason, I don't push policy lynches. Especially not when I believe I have a good scumread(s).
In post 400, CrisP wrote:read again, the important thing here was to understand whether Yui113 actually believed this statement.
Would it matter if she did? Does it change your read on her slot?
In post 400, CrisP wrote:Normally you should be, but in this game I have been put in the unique position of being correctly recognised as town by most people, either because I was the only one trying to move this game forward amidst a bunch of lurkers or because mafia actually wanted to give me town credency because I was pushing on the wrong people, so I'm trying to use this as much as possible. Why do you think you are the only one stating he is worried about it?
I'm bothered by the statement because you're shoving it down our throats. Being read as obvtown by the player-base without being concerned about it isn't a town mindset.

And I don't know why I'm the only person worried about it. You're asking the wrong person. What do you think about it?
In post 400, CrisP wrote:You will have to agree this is the case if you and GM turn out to be mafia.
And you will have to agree with me when you realize that you're wrong.
In post 400, CrisP wrote:One of the reasons I thought out of game stuff was improbable was because you had just all told me it was explicity disallowed, she should not have posted it in the first place then.
That's fine. I'm not blaming any particular person, but it should be dropped.
In post 401, CrisP wrote:2. Consider the GM Brian relationship, both white knight the other, in one case with a blank statement, and both have the same mafia reads.
You act as though people can't chainsaw their townreads or have similar reads. I assure you, both can happen and there's the possibility both of us are just clicking.
In post 402, goodmorning wrote:@CrisP: Yui is Town and obviously so.
Why is she obvtown?
Answered in thread. I don't think Giffy was obvtown. This is also my first time seeing him play outside of a hydra. :shrugs:
In post 403, CrisP wrote:A big part of me accusing her was that she decided to claim VT, something that in my games you never (!) do, why would you claim VT, if the lynch doesn't go through then mafia knows you are not a power role and can ignore you as a NK for the rest of the game. But if this is standard practice before a lynch here (why?) then the only thing I really had against her was her very poor motivation for voting JM plus her lurking being a reinforcing factor.
What's the benefit in lying about her role? And if she's in danger of getting lynched, claiming VT isn't going to save her.

We claim because it doesn't make sense to just lynch people when we can verify their alignment and/or roles. If you were in a set-up where the existence of a cop was a given, wouldn't you want to take every measure necessary that you don't accidentally just lynch him because he was playing poorly?
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #416 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:18 am

Post by CrisP »

What's the difference between her walls and mine, and why is this a possible scumtell?
Your wall was full of information about what you think and don't think about, after you express your thoughts you ask questions if they don't match what you are stating, from that I can get a read on you. Her walls were just general questions not related to the discussion and did not answer what I asked of her, which served no purpose to me, whether she can get a tell out of them, assuming she is town, is open for discussion.
It doesn't have to make sense right now. We don't even have a scum-flip yet. It's better to get the first scum in hand before you start worrying about associative tells.
Let's not mistake your opinion with what is better, just because you decide to hunt for scum separately doesn't mean that making connections is a bad strategy.
1) Hard-bussing can give him towncred. And it's not a bad compromise if he felt his scumbuddy was in trouble.
2) Jmo and BW are not necessarily linked. This is why I told you to not worry so much about associative tells.
3) He might be confident that he can talk his way out of it.
This is all possible, the question is, what is most likely to happen in a given situation, and your points while valid are unlikely to me.

It's important because I have had separate town reads on BW first and JM now that i tested how he would react right before getting lynched, so the fact that GM first and you second put them both toghether as scum is something I wanted to examine. If you are town and think that they are reading less scummy now, this is in part thanks to my effort so I don't see why you would discount it.
Never played with him before. And unless I have a very specific reason, I don't meta people.
Basically you are saying here you are lazy.
You're asking the wrong person.
I am asking everyone, your reply is useless for town.
Also, low hanging fruit can't be scum?
Definitely, it just worries me because I have a mafia read on you at the moment, this kind of statement isn't going to help one way or the other.
But if the accusations against her were wrong, then what do you think about the motivations behind the people pushing those accusations?
Since I'm the accuser I know the motivation, I wanted to put the people who voted for RM on the spotlight.
If it's standard practice, then I don't understand why she'd have to point it out. Also, most of the other players in this game have enough experience that they'd know better.
This is inconsistent with a newbie game, if I were IC and playing with a bunch of new people I'd make sure they knew what was possibly scummy and what was just normal. She cleared this point herself however by saying that she voted RM only for her vote on JM, I tend to believe her here, I misinterpreted her when I read it the first time.
Would it matter if she did? Does it change your read on her slot?
First of all Yui113 is a guy, second of course it mattered because he had the opportunity to quickhammer a guy so if he as mafia thought he could get away with it chances are he might have done so, if you believe like I do that he actually thought it was possible to get away with a quickhammer then the fact he did not quickhammer points to him being town or to the slot he had the chance to quickhammer bieng his mafia partner. Why are you asking me this, don't you follow this game? You look very uniformed given the questions you are
asking.
Being read as obvtown by the player-base without being concerned about it isn't a town mindset.
But I am worried about it, that's why I have been trying to understand if:

- it was just due to me unluckily ending with a bunch of lurkers thus making it clear I was town by virtue of being the only one trying to post useful stuff
- Mafia wanted me to look town because I was pushing on the wrong people.
- Mafia are part of the lurkers so they did nothing this game including putting suspicion on people.
And I don't know why I'm the only person worried about it.
Again this is completely useless. Compare it to my answer to you.
You act as though people can't chainsaw their townreads or have similar reads. I assure you, both can happen and there's the possibility both of us are just clicking.
Not at all, I am saying it is an anomaly that is well worth investigating, whether it was something that happened by chance or something else is for every town to decide, I don't like it.
What's the benefit in lying about her role? And if she's in danger of getting lynched, claiming VT isn't going to save her.
Are you kidding me? What is the benefit of claiming VT?

As you said if she is about to get lynched claiming VT won't save her, so if she actually gets lynched this statement has 0 value.

Let's examine the case where she does not get lynched, always possible at L-1, then at the end of the day mafia have a pool of 5 (2 mafia, 1 lynch and 1 VT are not under consideration) into which to kill to find a PR, compare it to the case where she does not say she is VT, then mafia have a pool of 6 people. This means that if she is not lynched the statement she made actually give mafia a 3.3% better chance of actually lynching a PR or in other words is of negative value to town (keep in mind this is only day 1, with every lynch the numbers become progressively worse for town).

So the net result of this statement is that it's always bad.
If you were in a set-up where the existence of a cop was a given, wouldn't you want to take every measure necessary that you don't accidentally just lynch him because he was playing poorly?
This is very different from letting someone out himself as PR if he is under risk of getting lynched, that's obviously a good thing.
Buckwild
Buckwild
Goon
Buckwild
Goon
Goon

Post Post #417 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:12 am

Post by Buckwild »

In post 410, ArcAngel9 wrote:
In post 409, CrisP wrote:At this point I'm starting to meta this and think AA is mafia and her lurking is being recognised as a strategy so that's why she hasn't been mod killed yet. I might also pull a JM here and say if AA is town and you can do that I want her blacklisted in my games.
Two things...

There is connection with alignments with Modkilling. And Why do you think that my slot was supposed to be Mod killed? Explain?
Sometimes Lurkying also means Busy.. And you're trying to apply policy lynch here.. You understand that you're in a newbie game?

And what the hell about Blacklist? what's your problem.

this is not a town attitude.

VOTE: Crisp
In post 412, ArcAngel9 wrote:
In post 411, Yiu113 wrote:AA, explain to me what is wrong with policy lynching in a newbie game? You're supposed to play to your win condition. Honestly, you lurking for almost two weeks without doing anything useful to the town? I don't like that.

why youre indicating that i am playing against my win condition? explain that first
lurking is not always scum. have you played any mafia games before? lnfact lurkers are easy scum targets.
So after all this time, you come out with this crap? You are voting crisp because he is calling you out on not being useful? You are either an emotional player or scum not sure where to place her vote. We need to get things moving. Arc, post something useful on reads. Crisp's vote on you seems like a frustrated town. VOTE: AA.

Someone mentioned that players here are bleh. TBH this is a newbie game. You should join a real game if you want loads of content to read. I play these games because its less likely I'm gonoing to fall behind on reads. Also, I am not finding these walls of texts useful. Crisp, how would VT false claiming PR be useful. If I was the power role I would claim bullshit and get him lynched asap. It would be the equivalent to me of actually finding out that someone is mafia during the night.

I am still getting mixed feelings from Brian. I'm going to post another reread of everyone sometime this weekend. Right now, AA is on the top of my scum list.
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #418 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by CrisP »

BW wrote:Crisp, how would VT false claiming PR be useful. If I was the power role I would claim bullshit and get him lynched asap. It would be the equivalent to me of actually finding out that someone is mafia during the night
I agree BW that false claiming as a VT is bad, minus a few cases where you can show the real PR you are helping them with your claim, I am saying you should never claim VT!

If you don't claim at L-1 mafia may assume you are vanilla, but what if you are confident you are not going to get lynched? Mafia doesn't know for sure what is going on, if you cone out and say it however then there is no doubt anymore.

Also with your vote
you put ArcAngel9 at L-1, hammer only with intent!
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #419 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 416, CrisP wrote:This is all possible, the question is, what is most likely to happen in a given situation, and your points while valid are unlikely to me.
Which ones are unlikely and why?
In post 416, CrisP wrote:Basically you are saying here you are lazy.
No, meta-reading just isn't part of my play-style because I don't care for the disadvantages that come with it. And I haven't found a good enough reason to rely on it.
In post 416, CrisP wrote:Definitely, it just worries me because I have a mafia read on you at the moment, this kind of statement isn't going to help one way or the other.
Why can't low hanging fruit be scum? How do you determine what's low hanging fruit and what isn't?
In post 416, CrisP wrote:Since I'm the accuser I know the motivation, I wanted to put the people who voted for RM on the spotlight.
Your accusation might not be the only one. People can vote for different reasons, especially if they're scum. That's the important thing.
In post 416, CrisP wrote:First of all Yui113 is a guy, second of course it mattered because he had the opportunity to quickhammer a guy so if he as mafia thought he could get away with it chances are he might have done so, if you believe like I do that he actually thought it was possible to get away with a quickhammer then the fact he did not quickhammer points to him being town or to the slot he had the chance to quickhammer bieng his mafia partner. Why are you asking me this, don't you follow this game? You look very uniformed given the questions you are
asking.
I'm following pretty well actually. And I'm asking you these questions because I'm trying to feel you out and get a better read.

You talk like you know what you're doing. But then you assign motivations to things that shouldn't have motivations attached to them, line up lynches, and have misconceptions about general site etiquette. I'm trying to figure out your experience and whether or not you're scum.
In post 416, CrisP wrote:Are you kidding me? What is the benefit of claiming VT?

As you said if she is about to get lynched claiming VT won't save her, so if she actually gets lynched this statement has 0 value.

Let's examine the case where she does not get lynched, always possible at L-1, then at the end of the day mafia have a pool of 5 (2 mafia, 1 lynch and 1 VT are not under consideration) into which to kill to find a PR, compare it to the case where she does not say she is VT, then mafia have a pool of 6 people. This means that if she is not lynched the statement she made actually give mafia a 3.3% better chance of actually lynching a PR or in other words is of negative value to town (keep in mind this is only day 1, with every lynch the numbers become progressively worse for town).

So the net result of this statement is that it's always bad.
Explain to me the benefits of lying about her role.

If she lies and says she's a PR, she will get CC'ed and lynched immediately. And then the mafia know who to target N1. It's stupid. VT's don't need to lie about their roles when they're about to get lynched.

The reason why I said claiming VT wouldn't have saved her is because claiming VT basically means: "Hey, you guys don't trust me. I'm a VT. We're not in a game compromising situation. Go ahead and use my flip to find scum." And I find it hard to believe a player would get driven to L-1, be forced to claim VT, and not get hammered.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #420 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Post by goodmorning »

@Brian: I really would like to know what you think of CrisP.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #421 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Post by goodmorning »

In post 419, Brian Skies wrote:And I find it hard to believe a player would get driven to L-1, be forced to claim VT, and not get hammered.
This actually does happen. Happened to me once even, though I did end up getting lynched anyway because we were so close to deadline and my wagon was the only viable one.

Though it's not usual and especially not in situations where it could be a game-ruining mistake.
CrisP
CrisP
Goon
CrisP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #422 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Post by CrisP »

Which ones are unlikely and why?
All of them, because given the situation we are in mafia have little reason to behave in the ways you bring up:

- 1. JM wasn't really in trouble without BW's vote.
- 2. You and GM gave me the scumpair, I run with it to see if you were talking BS or made sense.
- 3. This is just crazy, even if he is confident he can talk himself out of bad situations there is no point for him to put himself into a bad situation for the sake of it.
Why can't low hanging fruit be scum? How do you determine what's low hanging fruit and what isn't?
Once again (really?), low hanging fruits can
definitely
be scum, I just don't like that
you
brought this up, because from my POV you have a possible ulterior motive to do so, this motive being to deflect from you being mafia or you being mafia with GM.
A low hanging fruit is someone that has been playing in a suspicious manner and is considered an easy lynch, it may be like in AA's or RM's case that the player in question lurked all game and did not contribute to town, or there may be other reasons for it.
Your accusation might not be the only one. People can vote for different reasons, especially if they're scum. That's the important thing.
True in general but not pertinent, since I was the only one doing the accusing.
I'm trying to figure out your experience and whether or not you're scum.
As I said at the start of this game, I often play IRL mafia, but this is my first forum mafia experience.
Explain to me the benefits of lying about her role.
I already answered this, plus I never stated anywhere that VT's should lie about their role, I don't know where you and BW inferred that, see my answer to BW for the rest.
And I find it hard to believe a player would get driven to L-1, be forced to claim VT, and not get hammered.
I agree, that's why claiming VT is extra bad, not only do you help mafia but the moment you claim VT you will be lynched for sure. What I said, for the n-th time, is that it makes no sense whatsoever to claim VT also:
"Hey, you guys don't trust me. I'm a VT. We're not in a game compromising situation. Go ahead and use my flip to find scum."
is just shitty town, there is no reason for you as VT to accept that the rest of town is going to lynch you in order for them to get information on your flip, unless it's an autowin for town because there are enough confirmed slots that just lynching the unconfirmed is enough, you should never accept this.

It's much better as VT to put up as good a defence as you can in the hope that you can convince town not to lynch you, after all you know for sure you are town, the next person town decides to lynch may be mafia. If you still die town will know you were VT and they get exactly the same information they would have if you made your VT claim and if you don't die then that's even better, you might have contributed to getting an actual mafia lynched with your good defence and mafia doesn't know for sure that you're just VT so you might be NK'd instead of a PR.

The ony possible reason for claiming VT I see, is in games where the role of the dead is not revealed and you have a way of checking if the claimant was telling the truth, but that has nothing to do with the actual setup we are playing in.

Also to Buckwild, if AA flips town what information have you gained (since you were saying these walls give you no information and you wanted to move things along)? As far as I am concerned you just made the problem we have today, thanks to RM, twice as bad and put us at LyLo. The AA lynch is not something that town should just go into with a light heart because if we are wrong, there is a good chance we are screwed, that's why while I told her her play was utter crap and unacceptable, I did not personally vote her yet.

Also a point on Yui113's vote, the frustrated town vote as you call it Buck (which I did not make): I'm more inclined to think that that's more his past experience from his other forum games where lurking is considered pretty damning, I actually like Yui113's vote because it makes him look more consistent and hence more town. I hope you are not screwing me Yui cause at the moment you are the best townread I have.
jmo16mla
jmo16mla
Jack of All Trades
jmo16mla
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #423 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Post by jmo16mla »

holy shit, i took a nap and had a dream that crisp had reverted back to voting me posting wall after wall... nightmares man.
jmo16mla
jmo16mla
Jack of All Trades
jmo16mla
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #424 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Post by jmo16mla »

I'd like to hold the hammmer if that's okay with you guys. I'm going to read over that slot (or whats left of it) and see what we have.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”