[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6525 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In the linked setup, not my setup.

It's a problem in the current existing setup that I sought to fix in my setup.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6526 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

Yes, but also in your set-up: what good is it for scum to know who the SK is, if they can't kill him (no NKs), and can't exposr him (because that way he exposes himself)?
"What truffles are to pigs so are these charlatans and pettifoggers to my mental acuity." - Frasier
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6527 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Post by Cabd »

It forces scum to play like a cop that tries to get his guilty lynched without having to claim it?
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6528 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Post by BBmolla »

To push his lynch?

If you're scum A wouldn't it help to know who scum B is?

It's there to give mafia a little bit of an upper hand, but to prevent immediate outing of the SK when he's found. Unless mafia are nuts and want to suicide which is totally possible.

Edit: Yeah what Cabd said.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6529 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Scum could also out the SK in twilight if they were lynched.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing, though.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6530 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:53 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 6521, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 6507, Bicephalous Bob wrote:big post
This might actually be a somewhat interesting setup.

Big question for balance would be

1) When do spies get "called back" and how does that resolve with the investigate action
2) Can a spy re-goon themselves at night?
1) "Every night, the Goon(s) may call back one or more Spies. This turns them back into Mafia Goons at the start of the next day," so the cops get a negative result on a Spy who is called back that same night.
2) The original answer was: "A spy can't call himself back, but if I were scum in this game, I'd discuss breadcrumbs in pre-game chat," but then I realized the cops can claim when all Goons are dead. A nightless game is probably too harsh a punishment for the Mafia. Is this a good solution?

Gun Control

3 Mafia Goons/Spies
2 Gunsmiths
8 Vanilla Townies

Mechanics:

-Mafia Goons have daytalk.
-The Gunsmith's result is the number of guns the target has. Gunsmiths have three guns. A member of the Mafia has one gun by default.
-In pre-game chat, the Mafia decide which members give their guns to other members. Members with no guns flip as Mafia Spy, have no access to the factional quicktopic (the mod creates a new one for in-game chat) and can't perform the factional kill.
-Every night, Goons with multiple guns may give one or multiple Spies a gun. This turns them back into Mafia Goons at the start of the next day. Goons can't give all of their guns away after pre-game. Goons can give guns to each other.
-The first time all Goons are dead, each remaining Spy gets one shot at stealing a gun from someone. They can use this shot at any time, but the Mafia has no factional kill as long as it isn't armed. If a Gunsmith is targeted, the Spy turns into a Goon at the start of the next day. Nothing happens if the target is a Vanilla Townie. No-one is ever informed of the (attempted) theft.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6531 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6529, callforjudgement wrote:Scum could also out the SK in twilight if they were lynched.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing, though.
Hrm, yeah.

Baby Enough Scum 8P

1 Mafia Doctor
1 Mafia Goon

1 Serial Killer
1 Jailkeeper
4 VTs

• Daystart
  • The mafia team do not possess a nightkill
  • FBI Agent only finds the Serial Killer
  • Serial Killer wins 1-1-1 endgames and 1-1 endgames.

Maybe this?
More WIFOM when nobody dies. Gives Mafia a bit better of an advantage too.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6532 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Post by saulres »

There's... not actually an FBI Agent in that setup.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6533 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Post by Cabd »

That seams like the SK is at a disadvantage now. Three potential ways for his kill to be blocked in a night.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6534 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6532, saulres wrote:There's... not actually an FBI Agent in that setup.
Yeah yeah I forgot to remove it, bite me.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6535 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 6531, BBmolla wrote:
1 Mafia Doctor
1 Mafia Goon

1 Serial Killer
1 Jailkeeper
4 VTs
The problem i see arising is this, Doctor is always going to protect the goon (why protect anyone else?)

Then we get down to the JK, if there is a no kill, the logical thing to do is for the JK to keep hitting the target they have hit (Either they hit the SK, meaning the SK can no longer kill and JK should claim or, the JK has hit the SK's Target in which case he should still keep hitting the same target, unless the JK was missed for the Doc.)

And we come to a point where it is likely that the JK will claim the target and have them lynched (actually this may be the one reason the mafia would benefit from using the Doctor elsewhere)
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6536 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6535, JasonWazza wrote:
In post 6531, BBmolla wrote:
1 Mafia Doctor
1 Mafia Goon

1 Serial Killer
1 Jailkeeper
4 VTs
The problem i see arising is this, Doctor is always going to protect the goon (why protect anyone else?)

Then we get down to the JK, if there is a no kill, the logical thing to do is for the JK to keep hitting the target they have hit (Either they hit the SK, meaning the SK can no longer kill and JK should claim or, the JK has hit the SK's Target in which case he should still keep hitting the same target, unless the JK was missed for the Doc.)

And we come to a point where it is likely that the JK will claim the target and have them lynched (actually this may be the one reason the mafia would benefit from using the Doctor elsewhere)
The charm is that a no kill doesn't mean exactly what you think it means, it has various options. Except when the Mafia Doctor dies, then it narrows it down a bit.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6537 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:18 am

Post by BBmolla »

Payback Nightless

6 Vanilla Townies

3 Mafia Vengefuls

• Nightless
  • Mafia win if it is a 1:1 ratio

Does this exist already?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6538 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 am

It's pretty similar (identical?) to No Lynching Town. If it's different, the only difference is in the numbers.
scum
town
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6539 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:48 am

Post by Toomai »

I probably have no idea what I'm doing, but this idea popped into my head, and I thought why not let other people tear it apart. No idea if anything similar has been tried before or not.
Leaky Windows
v1.0

Vanilla Townie x7

Mason x2

Town Eavesdropper x1

Mafia Goon x2

Traitor Eavesdropper x1

• Standard lynch rules and Mafia nightkill.
  • Mafia cannot kill or recruit Traitor and does not know who they are. The Traitor knows who the Mafia are, cannot use scumchat, counts for endgaming, and inherits factional kill if both Goons die first.
  • Eavesdroppers, at the end of each Night, are given a link to a censored version of a group's night chat.
    • Players' names are replaced with things such as "[player K]".
    • Post numbers are replaced with things like "[post BFWQ]".
  • The Town Eavesdropper listens to the Mafia talk; the Traitor listens to the Masons.
  • The Masons have a factional roleblock. Blocking an eavesdropper means they get nothing that night.
  • Both the Masons and the Mafia have a 1-shot ability to accuse a player of eavesdropping during the day. This ability is sent to the mod in private so the user is unknown, but the target and result are announced publicly (e.g. "Player G has been accused of eavesdropping.").
    • If an eavesdropper has been identified, they die of shame. The Mafia can kill their Traitor this way.
    • If the wrong player has been accused, nothing happens to them or the accuser. The eavesdropper on the opposite faction of the accuser is emboldened and gets a 1-shot Cop (if town) or a 1-shot Rolecop (if scum); using this one night means they can't eavesdrop that night.
    • If both Goons die first, the Traitor inherits the accusation if still unused.
Looks like a bit of a headache for the mod at times, but could still be interesting to play?
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6540 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:53 am

Post by BBmolla »

Not really. Mafia and Town QT owners will just compensate by not talking. Plus, good luck getting the players to log in to these alternate QT accounts whenever they post for this game.

My 2 cents.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6541 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Problem with eavesdropper role is that you should be able to piece together who the scum is by wording and time of posts. Scum in this setup should just not talk until the eavesdropper is dead as they would have the advantage in the setup with roles stripped out.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6542 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Post by Cabd »

More easily worked scenario is to RNG and give the eavesdropper one post made in the qt that night randomly (with names stripped) to allow for masons and mafia to counter-measure each other with fakeouts.
Show

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6543 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Or just spam 100 contentless posts between every real one (and annoy the QuickTopic admins while they're at it).
scum
town
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6544 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Hotline Mafia

6 Players:

1 Mafia Goon

1 Suicidal Mafia Goon

4 Vanilla Townies

• Suicidal goon dies night 1.
  • If he is lynched day 1, no night occurs.

Not nightless.

Similar to scumhunters 8p, but different because you don't choose who dies, it's preselected.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6545 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

So, 6 players. If the goon is lynched, then a townie is nk'd and there are 4 players. Since it is not nightless, they will probably no lynch, and then it'll be LYLO. If the other scum is lynched, game over. If a townie is lynched, then the goon and another townie die, so it will be LYLO right away. It is basically like a vengeful but with 6 players and a few differences. I don't get the point of almost requiring a no lynch though because that's what will happen regardless if the goon is lynched day1.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6546 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6544, BBmolla wrote:If he is lynched day 1, no night occurs.
^

The "he" is the mafia suicidal goon

Lynching him day one gets town an extra mislynch.
Whiskers
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6547 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:39 pm

Post by Whiskers »

In post 6546, BBmolla wrote:
In post 6544, BBmolla wrote:If he is lynched day 1, no night occurs.
^

The "he" is the mafia suicidal goon

Lynching him day one gets town an extra mislynch.
Gonna go ahead and say, that sucks for whoever draws this role. In fact... why include it at all? Day 1 is least likely to result in an informed lynch, and the player dies anyway. Optimal play for this role is to just not talk-- ever. No association, no tells, no reads.

A better, more fun setup would be
Revengy Something

10 Players:

3 Mafia Goons

7 Vanilla Townies

Mafia faction only gets a Kill if a Goon was lynched the previous Day.
Not-Nightless, or Nightless and Enforced Lynching.
Mafia Daytalk.

Of course, Hotline Mafia might be OK, since it's such a small setup that why would anybody even play a six player game...

[EDIT]
And looking at Scumhunter's_Speed_8p, I've basically made that, except without the stupid white flag mechanic which I hate, and making the game a little longer. So... an improvement, IMO, but not enough of one to make a whole new setup for it. So nevermind.

Still, I wouldn't want to play Hotline Mafia. Being kicked out of the game for setup factors (instead of being chosen for lynch or nightkill, due to my play or meta) would really suck. It would take all of the fun out of it for me. Like, "Nothing you do can affect whether or not you die."

Idk. Maybe some people would like this, but I just plain wouldn't sign up for it.
Integrity, Pride, Confidence, Anger, and Truth.
Whiskers
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Whiskers
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6548 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:20 am

Post by Whiskers »

Scalpel 13

3 Macho Mafia Goons

1 Doc SK

9 Vanilla Townies

Macho Mafia Goons:

Factional Night Talk
Factional Nightkill
Immune to Doctoring
Win when they are Majority.

Doctor Serial Killer:

Night-Doctoring
Nightkill
Can't Doc the same player consecutive Nights
Wins when the last man standing.

How does this look?
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6549 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:07 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6547, Whiskers wrote:Gonna go ahead and say, that sucks for whoever draws this role. In fact... why include it at all? Day 1 is least likely to result in an informed lynch, and the player dies anyway. Optimal play for this role is to just not talk-- ever. No association, no tells, no reads.
If you do that, you get lynched and you fuck over your buddy because town has two chances instead of one to catch him. Why is that optimal?

Your setup removes the entire point of mine, the mafia have to try to set themselves up for a successful LYLO. So they both want to survive, and they don't want to look bad once the suicidal one dies.

There is also a lack of 6P setups, hence mine. Making it 10p goes against my original goal.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”