[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6425 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:27 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 6420, Wake1 wrote:I don't quite understand the first segment of your post...

The second part I don't quite see eye-to-eye on, either.
For example, if three mafia are lynched and three townies are killed on the first three days, the last member could claim scum because he knows the other factions lose if they lynch him.
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6426 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 am

Post by Wake1 »

In post 6425, Bicephalous Bob wrote:
In post 6420, Wake1 wrote:I don't quite understand the first segment of your post...

The second part I don't quite see eye-to-eye on, either.
For example, if three mafia are lynched and three townies are killed on the first three days, the last member could claim scum because he knows the other factions lose if they lynch him.
Hm... Still not sure I understand...

It's very unlikely for 3 of 4 Mafiasos to be lynched in the first 3 Days.

OH, I think I get it. Because the factions aren't told to kill the Mafia, and there aren't enough Townies to nab it, the Scum could safely claim.

Well then, let's fix that. :lol: We'll put it in each faction's wincon to kill Scum, and/or in each Scum's wincon to kill the SK, Town, and factions. Thanks for spotting that! That could have sucked if I missed that and hosted it.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #6427 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Post by yessiree »

Hi all, is Arsonist considered Normal?
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6428 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Post by Cabd »

From the wiki:
Roles which are explicitly Normal include:
Vanilla Townie, Sane Cop, Doctor, Vigilante, Roleblocker, Mason, Innocent Child, Jailkeeper, Tracker, Watcher, Gunsmith, Miller, Bodyguard, Role Cop, Doublevoter, Hider, Neighbor, Neighborizer, Jack of All Trades, Serial Killer, Mafia Encryptor, Mafia Strongman, Mafia Goon, Mafia Traitor, Mafia Godfather, Mafia-aligned or SK-aligned versions of above roles
Modifiers which are explicitly Normal include:
Even/Odd Night, Non-Consecutive Night, X-Shot, Bulletproof, Neighbor, Compulsive, Macho, Weak, Backup (with or without primary role present)
If it's not on this list, it's non-normal by default.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6429 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Post by yessiree »

alright, thanks
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6430 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

The same page also says:
New/variant roles may be included in limited number (no more than 1 in a Mini, 2 in a Large), and should be based on the usual role mechanics: Killing, Protecting, Investigating, Blocking, Voting, Enabling and Communication.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6431 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Post by yessiree »

so a 13p game with one arsonist as the only neutral killing role would be considered Normal variant?
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6432 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Post by Cabd »

You'd have to check with tierce and the normal review board, but making it an arsonist as an SK should be allowable.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6433 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Post by N »

It's not explicitly banned, so it can't hurt to try it. But just be aware that you may have to change it. (Especially now you've posted about it publicly here.)
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #6434 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Post by Faraday »

are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6435 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Post by Wake1 »

Would it be allowed to have neutral factions with specific win conditions in Normal/Open games?

Say, you've got a Mountainous game with 21 players. 2 Mafia Goons, 2 two-player Vanilla factions whose wincon is to see the other dead (they can't NK, and must become Survivor factions once one beats the other), and the rest Vanilla Townies.

Would that be OK? I don't want complex roles... Just an added layer or two to the discussions.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6436 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Post by N »

In post 6435, Wake1 wrote:Would it be allowed to have neutral factions with specific win conditions in Normal/Open games?

Say, you've got a Mountainous game with 21 players. 2 Mafia Goons, 2 two-player Vanilla factions whose wincon is to see the other dead (they can't NK, and must become Survivor factions once one beats the other), and the rest Vanilla Townies.

Would that be OK? I don't want complex roles... Just an added layer or two to the discussions.
Not in a normal, no. Opens don't have any rules governing what sort of roles are in them, just that they're balanced.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6437 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 6435, Wake1 wrote:2 two-player Vanilla factions whose wincon is to see the other dead (they can't NK, and must become Survivor factions once one beats the other),
Those would be lyncher factions, explicitly non normal.
Show

Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6438 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Post by Wake1 »

Well, that stinks a bit.

Would the same hold true with four 2-player Scum factions, with enough PRs to balance it out? I have some specific ideas to do so.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6439 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Post by Cabd »

Normals allow for one SK, 1 scum faction, and the town. No multiball.
Show

N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6440 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by N »

In post 6439, Cabd wrote:Normals allow for one SK, 1 scum faction, and the town. No multiball.
This is untrue. I think 4 scum factions would be pushing it, though.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6441 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by N »

GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6442 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Post by Cabd »

The game should have at least one Mafia or Werewolf group (of at least two members). A second anti-town group can be given a separate Mafia family name, or can be a Werewolf group. There should be no more than two mafia/werewolf factions, and no more than one Serial Killer.

I stand corrected. More than two is bad though.
Show

Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6443 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Post by Wake1 »

The problem is that "normal" is just majority opinion, and it changes all the time. Like clothing over the course of 100 years.

The page N linked mentioned that some of these restrictions don't apply in Open (and one other) Setup, and that it's still under construction.

If that is true, is it possible or even plausible that a big Vanilla Open game could have two Neutral factions in the future?
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6444 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 6443, Wake1 wrote:"normal" is just majority opinion, and it changes all the time
This is incorrect. There's a normal review board here.

As for your open setup question... Possible, but most players here are adverse to that type of setup/role.
Show

Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6445 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Post by Wake1 »

"Normal" is based on the opinion of the majority or, in this case, a board. The board may or may not be affected by general consensus, but if so, it can indeed be changed over time.

Why is it so adverse? Even in a Vanilla game where the Neutral factions cannot kill... and everyone already knows they're there... all it serves is to add another dimension to Day-time discussion. Their wincon may also include killing Scum, too. Basically, two warring VT factions.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #6446 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Because warring Town Factions isn't "Normal". That's a definite mutation of the game, as is a non-majority "Town".
Retired as of October 2014.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6447 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 6445, Wake1 wrote:"Normal" is based on the opinion of the majority or, in this case, a board. The board may or may not be affected by general consensus, but if so, it can indeed be changed over time.

Why is it so adverse? Even in a Vanilla game where the Neutral factions cannot kill... and everyone already knows they're there... all it serves is to add another dimension to Day-time discussion. Their wincon may also include killing Scum, too. Basically, two warring VT factions.
Because it breaks the definition of a traditional Mafia game. It makes for a very different experience than a game with vanilla majority, a handful of PRs, and one or two non-Town powers/groups.

Either way, this is not the place to argue Normalcy. You are always welcome to PM me or create a thread to discuss the Normal guidelines; this thread is for discussing Open setups.
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6448 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Post by Wake1 »

Alright. Thanks, guys.

I do have a new idea for an Open 21-player game. Your thoughts on it would be awesome.

x1Town Cop
x1 Town Doc
x1 Town Jailkeeper
x1 Town Watcher
x10 VT
x1 Serial Killer (Investigation and NK immune)
x1 Mafia A Goon
x1Mafia A Roleblocker
x1Mafia A Jailkeeper
x1 Mafia B Goon
x1 Mafia B Roleblocker
x1 Mafia B Jailkeeper

I like it. Gives more time for both Scum teams to hunt the other, and the sole SK is a lone badass. Didn't put a Tracker in because, even though it's weak, it can be pretty strong at times. I like the thought of three Jailkeepers and 2 Roleblockers... it adds in more depth and increases game time. Also, Scum could accidentally protect Townies from NKs.

Whatcha think? ;-)
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6449 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 6448, Wake1 wrote:I like the thought of three Jailkeepers and 2 Roleblockers...
That is an utter clusterfuck of blocking and makes the game about getting lucky with night results more than effective day play, and I would never in a billion years sign up for it.
Show

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”