Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 am

Post by Adele »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
Thesp wrote:
Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Glrok, hop on the wagon! If, for some reason, he comes up town, you'll have lots of juicy info on Mgm and Adele. It's win-win.
This is a very suspect/dangerous attitude.
FOS: Cogtio Ergo Sum.
Although my comment wasn't really serious, I'll ask you to state the problem you have with that type of attitude. After all, hypothetically, if a mislynch were to give us two scums, then the lynch would certainly have been in the town's interest.
But even if I'm wrong and Thesp's a nice guy, I'm still not scum! :(

Why am I on Thesp? It started out with the undercontributing that everyone noticed, then he did some stuff that just didn't seem at all likely to be from pro-town motivations:
Adele wrote:
Thesp wrote:So your tossing out suggestions that its suspicious, but but distancing yourself from saying it's suspicious?
Explaning both sides of an argument does not equal scummy. Again your behaviour doesn't seem right. Do you care about finding scum? Not that I can see. You seem instead very eager on arguing with Pat here over precisely nothing.
This is from the post where I voted him. Prior to this I'd been reading and rereading, but this comment stood out as an example of someone looking to make trouble/have a discussion when I have real trouble believing he found anything genuinely suspicious/ discussionworthy in the orginal post (Pat's).
The analogy he presented to back up his case was a strawman. Just... "picking people out to try to undermine
and then
searching for something that can be twisted into problematic-y", rather than scum-huntery.

Now he's doing the same with CES; taking a sentence that doesn't have any real meaning - we aren't machines, we do post jokes and exagerations and offhand thoughts and whatnot - and turning it into something uber-sinister.

I think he's a Bad Man.
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:18 am

Post by Mgm »

Patrick wrote:That's a strange thing to say. Especially when MBL just went and asked about 5 questions to various people. I didn't see you having a problem with that. Not that there is a problem, but accusing me of asking too many questions is strange.
I didn't notice that about MBL. I guess that means an
UnPFOS
is in order.
Show
"Logic is a systematic method to come to the wrong conclusion."
[u][b]Next:[/b] Doctor Who Mafia[/u]
[u]Testimonials about Mgm:[/u]
:shock: - Stoofer
You put me through hell Mgm, my nerves are crushed :/ - Patrick
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:37 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

New Page Vote Count (unchanged)

Thesp: 5 (ChannelDelibird Cogito Ergo Sum Adele Mgm Zindaras)
Mgm: 3 (Glork Patrick Fritzler)
ChannelDelibird: 1 (Thesp)
Ether: 1 (MrBuddyLee )
Nightfall : 1 (Ether)

Not voting: Nightfall

Looking for 7 votes for a lynch!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Post by Thesp »

Glork wrote:I recognize that it's more or less joking, but it sortof feels like you were hoping that I'd take the bait anyway. Even insinuating that we should lynch to try to set up two futrure lynches sets off my scumdar pretty hardcore. FoS: CES
I agree with the sentiment of this thought, though not on the "set up two future lynches" part.
Adele wrote:This is from the post where I voted him. Prior to this I'd been reading and rereading, but this comment stood out as an example of someone looking to make trouble/have a discussion when I have real trouble believing he found anything genuinely suspicious/ discussionworthy in the orginal post (Pat's).
The analogy he presented to back up his case was a strawman. Just... "picking people out to try to undermine and then searching for something that can be twisted into problematic-y", rather than scum-huntery.
I could have sworn I'd acknowledged that the case was an exaggeration, and I'd explained how my FOS of him wasn't for "Explaning both sides of an argument" (which you had actually strawmanned
me
on), yet you're bringing it up again. That's odd. I also saw this which I've neglected to follow up on:
Adele wrote:
Thesp wrote:
Adele wrote:That's a really leading example; a bloody knife is bloody good evidence (reasonable man clause) the confusion much more quesitonable.
I agree that it's exaggerated to illustrate a point. What do you think of Patrick's consent to the validity of the exaggerated model?
I didn't interpret his response as agreement that your analogy was valid; I saw him consider the repsonse within the example valid, which is a different thing.
What did you think of his acceptance of the model I presented as a reasonable one? You interpreted his response as I did (though perhaps that didn't come across clearly enough in how I asked it of you), what do you think of it?
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:47 pm

Post by Adele »

Thesp wrote:I could have sworn I'd acknowledged that the case was an exaggeration, and I'd explained how my FOS of him wasn't for "Explaning both sides of an argument" (which you had actually strawmanned
me
on), yet you're bringing it up again. That's odd.
Someone asked me to explain why I was voting you. I was answering.
Thesp wrote:I also saw this which I've neglected to follow up on:
Adele wrote:
Thesp wrote:
Adele wrote:That's a really leading example; a bloody knife is bloody good evidence (reasonable man clause) the confusion much more quesitonable.
I agree that it's exaggerated to illustrate a point. What do you think of Patrick's consent to the validity of the exaggerated model?
I didn't interpret his response as agreement that your analogy was valid; I saw him consider the repsonse within the example valid, which is a different thing.
What did you think of his acceptance of the model I presented as a reasonable one? You interpreted his response as I did (though perhaps that didn't come across clearly enough in how I asked it of you), what do you think of it?
Did we interpret it the same way? I'm not convinced; you still seem to think that he considered the "model" reasonable, I think he thought the action of one person within it reasonable. I could be wrong, you could be wrong, and I honestly don't think it matters. Why are you still obsessed with his response to your invalid analogy anyway? Are you so happy that he fell for it that you have to keep dragging it out?
If so, I'd be grateful if you'd actually show the flawed analogy next time you bring it up, so the town can see your shame anew.

I'm serious. It's easier for town to fall for craplogic than it is for town to present it, so if you're right, and he treated your invalid analogy as valid, that still reflects worse on you than him.
And, in the future, seperate your rhetoric from your arguments, and make your analogies as close to the situation you're mirroring, as exaggeration can completely undermine their validity.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Post by Patrick »

To clear this up, Adele is right, I thought the response of the person within the analogy was valid.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Post by Thesp »

Adele wrote:Did we interpret it the same way? I'm not convinced; you still seem to think that he considered the "model" reasonable, I think he thought the action of one person within it reasonable.
That was how I understood it, that given the following exchange...

Q: Do you think Professor Plum killed Mr. X?
A: Well, some people would say the bloody knife he was caught with would indicate he killed him, but I'm not sure if he killed Mr. X or not.

A
's response is not scummy. Patrick, is that how you understand it?
Given that,
what do you think of Patrick's assessment? (I think it's patently absurd to think
A
's response is not scummy.)

Why the vitrol, Adele? You accused me of trying to make something of nothing, this sounds a whole lot like you're doing that with me.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Post by Thesp »

Hrm. This is all getting in the way of ChannelDelibird's scumminess.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Post by Glork »

Guys, I don't think Thesp is the play.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:17 pm

Post by Adele »

Thesp wrote: (I think it's patently absurd to think
A
's response is not scummy.)
In the context of others pointing at the bloody knife - which IIRC the equivalent was happening in this game - I'd say almost any response
other
than A's is scummy. He can't just ignore what everyone else is saying.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:03 pm

Post by Ether »

And here I am, whatever I said, making late and late-night posts without getting work (I still have it) done. Some things never change.

MBL: the false dilemma attacks were in other games; they connected people who remarked "he's either stupid or scum" to the well-known fallacy. Here and here are the two examples I've seen (especially the first one, where there's a big squabble over it later). I feel that his attack on Patrick is bullshit* (I'd strongly consider Patscum right now if Nightfall turns up scum, but that's unrelated
and Thesp is either stupid or the third scumbag for painting his case this badly
), but nonetheless along those lines. The singlemindedness is also, er, Thespian, judging by 289, although he did change his mind much, much later in the day. I'm empathetic over his hesitation after Andrew's role was revealed; I was stunned when IH came up town, and that was
without
a fully-fledged three-person conspiracy already on my mind. (Until Thesp's 710, I was under the impression that his Channelscum/MBLscum/Nightfallscum thoughts on Day 1 revolved almost entirely around AndrewScum. Right now I would like him to clear up how much of it did.) His behavior around the IHvig did bother me, but that was the worst of it.

"Meh" is "meh" is "I understand that there are pushes against Adele which you would probably like me to address and I do not have objections to these, but I do not have anything original to say on this subject and I find Mgm scummier if pairings are not brought into play." I understood the "agreement" statement (I did post shortly after Adele's clique remark) and was aiming for specific post numbers.

Please clarify what "significant effort" refers to if you want to know if I find it scummy in particular.

CES and Fritzler, I haven't even tried to read. Glork is probably town. MBL is probably probably town. Zindaras is probably probably probably town. (More "probablies" dilute it.) None of these people are particularly interesting to me (beyond the whole awesomeness-of-Zindie-and-Glork factor) or particularly in need of my interest, and my conscience has bothered me on worse matters than this paragraph.
Post 658, Thesp wrote:
Patrick, effect mine wrote:To be clear then, I'm not pushing a case against MgM based on weird day one posts/not paying attention. As I said before, that wasn't terribly suspicious in my eyes.
Some ppl argue that scum are less likely to pay attention, but I'm not sure about that.
If it's a scum tell, it's a weak one at best.
Without the struck-through quote, he's answered the question of whether or not he thinks it's a scum tell. I don't think the addition of the struck through sentence, "Some ppl argue that scum are less likely to pay attention, but I'm not sure about that", is accidental - he's trying to add extra suspicion on Mgm. Why bother adding that sentence? He's already made his point.

Don't think for a second that speech is accidental.
*I feel that the knife case has the wrong focus. "Bloody knife" and "caught" are evidence in themselves;
they
draw attention, not the mention of the opinions of "some people." Popular opinion needn't be brought up there at all to raise a reader's eyebrow. You imply that you wouldn't have a problem with Patrick's statement if the struck-out sentence wasn't there, but he brings up Mgm's failure to pay attention elsewhere anyway, and that mention's not something that especially bothers me.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:47 am

Post by Patrick »

Thesp wrote:Q: Do you think Professor Plum killed Mr. X?
A: Well, some people would say the bloody knife he was caught with would indicate he killed him, but I'm not sure if he killed Mr. X or not.

...A's response is not scummy. Patrick, is that how you understand it? Given that, what do you think of Patrick's assessment? (I think it's patently absurd to think A's response is not scummy.)
A's response in not scummy. I think it's patently absurd to suggest it is. I feel that this is generally a distraction from finding scum.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:07 am

Post by Patrick »

Ether - I'm not sure how you've managed to link me to Nightfall. You claim he showed a double standard between my defence of Andrew and yours, even though several other people have apparently done the same thing. That suggests that there was actually a difference, and not a double standard being applied at all.
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:36 am

Post by Zindaras »

Unvote

I now officially hate the difficulty of finding scum in this game.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Vote Count

Thesp: 4 (ChannelDelibird Cogito Ergo Sum Adele Mgm)
Mgm: 3 (Glork Patrick Fritzler)
ChannelDelibird: 1 (Thesp)
Ether: 1 (MrBuddyLee )
Nightfall : 1 (Ether)

Not voting: Nightfall Zindaras

Looking for 7 votes for a lynch!

Although the discussion level is good, no new votes have been placed in the last 2 days. So I'm thinking that a deadline is probably necessary to keep the game moving again.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Post within 24 hours.
#greenshirtthursdays
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:58 am

Post by Patrick »

Mr Stoofer wrote:Although the discussion level is good, no new votes have been placed in the last 2 days. So I'm thinking that a deadline is probably necessary to keep the game moving again.
Unvote, Vote: Adele

Unvote, Vote: Mgm
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 am

Post by Glork »

What Patrick said.

I want MGM or Adele killed dead today. Period. I'm at the point where I don't think I'd even support a Thespwagon for the sake of attaining a lynch. If we have to NL, so be it.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:32 am

Post by Adele »

O joy. So we've basically made no prgress whatsoever?

Hands up, everyone who thinks I'm a poopyhead
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:00 am

Post by MrBuddyLee »

Any of you wagonny types... I think we're far enough into the game that if you're going to do that kinda shit, you should still accompany your votes with reasons.

For example, I foresee votes moving off Thesp right about now and I wanna know if that's because you don't find him scummy anymore or because you don't think he's lynchable today and are looking for a compromise target.
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:58 am

Post by Mgm »

Glork wrote:What Patrick said.

I want MGM or Adele killed dead today. Period. I'm at the point where I don't think I'd even support a Thespwagon for the sake of attaining a lynch. If we have to NL, so be it.
If Thesp isn't going to get lynched I want to see you dead. Difference is that I am realistic, I am willing to compromise unless the alternative target is not on my suspect list. You can't always have your own way. Quit pushing and start reasoning.
Show
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:59 am

Post by Mgm »

That should have said, not even remotely near the top of my suspect list.
Show
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

You do realize, Glrok, that a no-lynch would seriously undermine a roleblocker's usefulness? We should strive to lynch as many people as possible. Besides, Thesp is scum. Maybe Adele and Mgm are bussing him?
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Post by Patrick »

CES wrote:You do realize, Glrok, that a no-lynch would seriously undermine a roleblocker's usefulness? We should strive to lynch as many people as possible. Besides, Thesp is scum. Maybe Adele and Mgm are bussing him?
That's not really how the posts felt to me.
MBL - What do you think of Mgm?
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:26 pm

Post by Adele »

OK. Say Stoof sets a deadline. What do we do then?

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”