LoL eSports Discussion

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:09 am

Post by mykonian »

idk quadz. I think you watch tournaments of any "sport" for the excitement, perhaps the cool way of playing and the skill of the players. If those aren't there, what's the point? You can just as well watch your friends have fun then, you don't have to watch total strangers.

I missed most of those, did check out the omg-ld game, but even that was a bit meh. The yorick was cool. The fnatic mineski game was rather unwatchable and for most part indeed I wouldn't watch it.

And I guess they can do whatever they want, and fine if they want to troll, I just won't watch it. It just becomes a bit silly/stupid when there is money on the line.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
TCold
TCold
Goon
TCold
Goon
Goon

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 am

Post by TCold »

In post 448, quadz08 wrote:I dunno, to me once you get to the point where all of the people moving has been determined without a doubt, why not fuck around and have some fun? Nobody is giving Fnatic and Mineski shit for the Zilean / Sivir game for doing the same thing. I was expecting the entirety of Group A yesterday to be trollgames, and was actually fairly disappointed when they weren't.

Granted, I didn't know until this morning that they gave prize money even to the teams that didn't qualify for quarterfinals, but I think that's dumb as rocks in and of itself. Don't they all already get money for winning whatever they won to get into the group stage anyway?
It's a season final. Of course all teams get some money out of it. It's an aditional reward. Better you do, more money you get. You wouldn't say the same for like NBA teams, or NHL or european champions league.

"They got into playoffs by winning their division or got into the champions league by winning their home league and got money for it. They don't need extra for losing in the first round."
One Master and one apprentice; one to embody the power, the other to crave it.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:22 am

Post by Tamuz »

In post 440, zoraster wrote:I could easily imagine a self-coached U21 squad in the same situation pulling something similar(putting a defender up front, having a striker as keeper, etc.). That doesn't excuse it, but at the same time it's hard for me to get mad about something like this with few consequences for either team (it would have been totally different if some other team needed GG to lose or something) doing something they think might be fun.
The majority of the Sounder's youth players are playing in different positions under Sigi (the winningest MLS coach) than they played in college/High-school/Select.

I think this is just people looking for something to bitch at TSM about. Nobody bitched that Krepo and Froggen swapped or Fnatic Support and Fnatic top.
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:26 am

Post by pickemgenius »

In post 452, Tamuz wrote:
I think this is just people looking for something to bitch at TSM about.

bingo
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:31 am

Post by dramonic »

IMO what TSM did was moronic, but not inherently wrong. They are only screwing themselves over, nbd
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Jarvis
Jarvis
Goon
Jarvis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am

Post by Jarvis »

Fuck yeah EU teams. I fully expect all four group stage qualifiers to make the semis.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 am

Post by Nexus »

Kinda sad that Cloud9 and Fnatic are facing off immediately. I want Fnatic to win though.
Trans rights are human rights.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:01 am

Post by Tamuz »

In post 454, dramonic wrote:IMO what TSM did was moronic, but not inherently wrong. They are only screwing themselves over, nbd
And what Mineski did was valiant, right?

This current complaint is the worst.
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:28 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 451, TCold wrote:It's a season final. Of course all teams get some money out of it. It's an aditional reward. Better you do, more money you get. You wouldn't say the same for like NBA teams, or NHL or european champions league.
uhhhh... do professional sport teams get extra money just for making the playoffs? If they do, I was not aware. And besides that, it's still not a proper comparison, with the exception of something like Champions League (where the winners won another tournament or league, and thus got some prize money from that AND it qualified them for the tournament in question).
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
TCold
TCold
Goon
TCold
Goon
Goon

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 am

Post by TCold »

Dunno about the playoffs. But compare leagues to lcs and the champions league to worlds. You get money for your league placement, you qualify for the champions league. You play in CL and get money even if you lose all your games in the group stage.
One Master and one apprentice; one to embody the power, the other to crave it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:01 am

Post by zoraster »

i mean, to be fair, $3,000 per person isn't going to mean retirement for anyone even if it did cost them 15k.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 am

Post by Tamuz »

Less after taxes.

I wonder if Riot helps them with a 401k
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:15 am

Post by zoraster »

i'm pretty sure they can't.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 am

Post by Tamuz »

How so? ( I have 0 sense of fiscal law)

And that basically means they can't shelter any of their earnings... which is rough.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:26 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Prizes aren't the only way they make money, though. They also pay the LCS teams a salary.
green shirt thursdays
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:35 am

Post by Tamuz »

And?

They still have to declare prize winnings + salary + stream + sponsorship. If none of the sources give them a means to put away money before taxes they're gonna be in a nasty bracket, even if they're all HoHs.

Then again the LCS salary is so low, lol
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:55 am

Post by zoraster »

you can have a 401k without an employer, but unless they're actual employees of riot, they'll be doing it on their own.

and given the amount of money they're making, they're not exactly in a high bracket.
KageLord
KageLord
Goon
KageLord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:58 am

Post by KageLord »

It's probably enough money in all that, even after taxes, to make a decent living though, which is good enough for me.
Show
Manga Version of Mafia... WTF?

Record:

Town: 5W/3L
Mafia: 3W/2L
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Post by JDodge »

people should less be blaming tsm for goofing off and more blaming riot for a fucking awful group stage format which lead to 9 out of 11 games on the last day basically not mattering due to either one-sided matchups or clinched positions
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Post by Tamuz »

In post 466, zoraster wrote:you can have a 401k without an employer, but unless they're actual employees of riot, they'll be doing it on their own.

and given the amount of money they're making, they're not exactly in a high bracket.
We can't really know with the streaming and sponsorship revenues, but from what I've seen some will certainly see 25% federal, which most of them could have opportunity to hide out of. As contractors they're kinda rough up, isn't there also some extreme thing California does with competition earnings?
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Post by JDodge »

also people whining about "the fans the fans the fans": remember that the vast majority of the NA audience consists of TSM fans, who will likely have enjoyed this sort of thing

please weep for the color caster because trying to remain professional and analyze a game where one or both teams is obviously just fu-screwing with you is torturous - you basically have to capitulate to the way the game is going and mostly let your pbp carry the weight
stream

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Post by quadz08 »

I agree with JDodge
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Post by Tamuz »

The casters didn't mention TRM once, they were terrible considering its TSM and he's the only pro Teemo player.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 472, Tamuz wrote:The casters didn't mention TRM once, they were terrible considering its TSM and he's the only pro Teemo player.
i could speak for days about the casting for worlds (the things theyve done right and the things theyve done wrong; the main thing i saw on the done wrong front was the complete oversight of how absolutely massive genja's mistake in the 2nd gambit vs ozone game of groups was), but theres actually no reason to mention that except to fill time as its irrelevant information
stream

Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Post by Tamuz »

Its a way to validly fill colour time without giving everything over to the PbP instead of capitulating.

Return to “The Arcade”