Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:58 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Dawg, if you and some other people disagree on the spot and flat out cannot be convinced, I'll stop arguing. Since you didn't reject it on the spot, I'm gonna try to explain my thinking again.
Dawg wrote:Let me give my interpretation:

Option 1 - Freedom - each townie votes for whichever two guys he considers the most suspicious.

Town nominations - Only placed on those whom people themselves feel are scummy.

Mafia nominations - No way of coordinating who's on the block.

Option 2 - Government - town decides on the 3 most suspicious guys as determined by whomever can talk the loudest to nominate a day in advance.

Town nominations - All go on the same 3 people, and said people will always be up for a lynch unless one gets NK'd (which still leaves 2 with chance to lynch an innocent based on who is right in the predetermination).
Agreed.
Dawg wrote:Mafia - Can help manipulate the nominations in a different way, by tricking the town into choosing the wrong three people.
Also true, but the mafia would have to manipulate the town to choose the wrong 3 people with
logic
, which is essentially the same as manipulating the town into a wrong lynch in a normal game. Forcing them to do that would also give us more chances to find the mafia, by inspecting everyone's logic. If we choose "freedom", however, they can just all nominate the same 2 innocents and have a fairly good chance to get them up for lynch, with no need to even explain themselves. IMHO, the town would be much better off with "government".

Dawg wrote:The way I look at it, 1 is true democracy. 2 is tyranny-by-majority.
How is this "tyranny-by-majority" different from the usual lynching system, though?
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Post by JDodge »

Raging Rabbit wrote:
Dawg wrote:The way I look at it, 1 is true democracy. 2 is tyranny-by-majority.
How is this "tyranny-by-majority" different from the usual lynching system, though?
Because nobody forces you to vote for someone.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Both sides have drawbacks. Both sides have oppurtunities. Doing it one way tonight doesn't mean we have to do it another way tommorrow night.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:30 pm

Post by GreenLiquid »

I am beginning a new theme, Animal Crossing Mafia. Although most of you already do this, please put Exile somewhere in your PM subjects so I know which game it portains to.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:36 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Dawg wrote:Because nobody forces you to vote for someone.
But you eventually often have to
compromise
in order to have a majority.
Skruffs wrote:Both sides have drawbacks. Both sides have oppurtunities. Doing it one way tonight doesn't mean we have to do it another way tommorrow night.
Sure. I'm just talking about
tonight
, we'll think about tommorow night when we get there. How can I build my posts in a way that would annoy you less, btw?

On a reasonably important note, I'll be a
whole lot
less active starting basically now. And I do mean a whole lot, though I'll try not to lurk. Rejoice!
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:14 am

Post by Skruffs »

Hmm? Oh I'm not really annoyed by them, I just see what other people are saying. I like you, bunny! (Disclaimer: Liking RR is not a scumtell)
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:51 am

Post by JDodge »

Raging Rabbit wrote:
Dawg wrote:Because nobody forces you to vote for someone.
But you eventually often have to
compromise
in order to have a majority.
But nobody
forces
you to.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:26 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Skruffs wrote:Hmm? Oh I'm not really annoyed by them, I just see what other people are saying.
I'm glad you're not annoyed. Do please explain just what it is you and others don't like in my posts, though, so I could change it and we could all start having a better time (note: not gonna stop being sarcastic, so anything but that).
Skruffs wrote: I like you, bunny! (Disclaimer: Liking RR is not a scumtell)
Maybe it's not be a scumtell, dear, but it's quite possibly a modkillable offense.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:28 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Dawg wrote:But nobody forces you to.
True, but the general idea that some people have to compromise is the same. Could you explain why you disagree with a recent post of mine you haven't fully answered?
Raging Rabbit wrote:Dawg wrote:
Mafia - Can help manipulate the nominations in a different way, by tricking the town into choosing the wrong three people.

Also true, but the mafia would have to manipulate the town to choose the wrong 3 people with logic, which is essentially the same as manipulating the town into a wrong lynch in a normal game. Forcing them to do that would also give us more chances to find the mafia, by inspecting everyone's logic. If we choose "freedom", however, they can just all nominate the same 2 innocents and have a fairly good chance to get them up for lynch, with no need to even explain themselves. IMHO, the town would be much better off with "government".
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:49 am

Post by JDodge »

I equate it to the arguement between Libertarianism and Authoritarianism.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

JDodge wrote:I equate it to the arguement between Libertarianism and Authoritarianism.
I'm not gonna get into a political debate here. Try to think about this strategically, though, it's not about life philosophies. Do you also disagree it'd be the most efficient town strategy, or just don't want to have your "liberty" taken from you? If you also disagree, please explain why.
Maz Medias
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Post by Maz Medias »

I'll encapsulate the argument:

First, we'll consider, for purpose of argument, everybody to have a power role: the nominator.

Now, let's look to normal mafia...

Why do we not reveal night action targets the day before unless it's absolutely necessary?

Because any premeditation of night actions that mafia can know about
can and will be tampered with
. Don't underestimate the creativity of the scum. Also, considering the flavor of the game, don't count out the presence of scum power roles that deal with nominations. Romanus' claim already shows us that there are nominatory power roles, and I would be surprised if none of these came up scum.

So, because of the unknowns, and because of the myriad of ways the mafia could tamper with the nomation process, I feel that it's better to pursue this on an individual basis. Allowing mafia to know who to kill to narrow down the lynch board is very much a bad plan; allowing them to know it at all, in fact, is bad, because if one of their own is on the platform, they can intentionally BROADEN selections through their sabotage.

The plan of revealing nominations before they're made is disasterous. Info is info, yes, but showing the mafia our hands so that they can surgically strike the weak points is in no way a good play.
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Post by Romanus »

Maz Medias wrote:I'll encapsulate the argument:

First, we'll consider, for purpose of argument, everybody to have a power role: the nominator.

Now, let's look to normal mafia...

Why do we not reveal night action targets the day before unless it's absolutely necessary?

Because any premeditation of night actions that mafia can know about can and will be tampered with. Don't underestimate the creativity of the scum. Also, considering the flavor of the game, don't count out the presence of scum power roles that deal with nominations. Romanus' claim already shows us that there are nominatory power roles, and I would be surprised if none of these came up scum.

So, because of the unknowns, and because of the myriad of ways the mafia could tamper with the nomation process, I feel that it's better to pursue this on an individual basis. Allowing mafia to know who to kill to narrow down the lynch board is very much a bad plan; allowing them to know it at all, in fact, is bad, because if one of their own is on the platform, they can intentionally BROADEN selections through their sabotage.

The plan of revealing nominations before they're made is disasterous. Info is info, yes, but showing the mafia our hands so that they can surgically strike the weak points is in no way a good play.
QFT
Well, Romanus is a professional shit stirrer
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:30 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

MM wrote:So, because of the unknowns, and because of the myriad of ways the mafia could tamper with the nomation process, I feel that it's better to pursue this on an individual basis. Allowing mafia to know who to kill to narrow down the lynch board is very much a bad plan; allowing them to know it at all, in fact, is bad, because if one of their own is on the platform, they can intentionally BROADEN selections through their sabotage.
Keep in mind, though, that the mafia are able to coordinate their powers whether we choose to coordinate ours or not. "Goverment" gives them better knowledge of the best way to fuck us up, but also makes it
significantly
harder for them to fuck anything up since the town is
completely united
against them. I mean, scum would really need a whole bunch of power roles to fuck up an 8-7-7 balance (and that's assuming we mislynch today).
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by Romanus »

I still don't like it. Like you said, this does not take into account any power roles, which we know that they are out there. You say a whole bunch, but I don't know about that. It would only take one, the right one, to mess stuff up.
Well, Romanus is a professional shit stirrer
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Romanus wrote:I still don't like it. Like you said, this does not take into account any power roles, which we know that they are out there. You say a whole bunch, but I don't know about that. It would only take one, the right one, to mess stuff up.
I'd personally prefer to take that chance rather than give the mafia (IMHO) a whole lot more nomination control, but of course I can't help it if you don't agree.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:36 am

Post by JDodge »

Raging Rabbit wrote:
JDodge wrote:I equate it to the arguement between Libertarianism and Authoritarianism.
I'm not gonna get into a political debate here. Try to think about this strategically, though, it's not about life philosophies. Do you also disagree it'd be the most efficient town strategy, or just don't want to have your "liberty" taken from you? If you also disagree, please explain why.
No, it's more of a matter that freedom/Libertarianism, while more disorganized, has less of a chance of being corrupt than government/Authoritarianism.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:18 am

Post by Skruffs »

I don't think that is really a correct metaphor, does libertarianism take into account that political 'nominees' are being killed off and that there is a knowledgable group of subversives trying to destroy the political state entirely?maybe it does, i have no clue.

Okay so let's just leave it out in the open - if peole want to state cases on why some people should be nominated they are free to do so, but nobody is required to disclose who they are nominating, but in the morning we're going to try and figure out what's going on?
Maz Medias
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:10 am

Post by Maz Medias »

Here's a bump above the locked games.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:26 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Okay. :D
Vote Skruffs
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Skruffs wrote:Okay so let's just leave it out in the open - if peole want to state cases on why some people should be nominated they are free to do so, but nobody is required to disclose who they are nominating, but in the morning we're going to try and figure out what's going on?
Not
a good idea. If we're not guaranteed to have everyone voting the same guy to prevent the mafia from fucking with our desicions, it's better to avoid stating nominations in advance. It's either "Goverment" or "Anarchy" imo, any compromise is lesser to the two.

[quote="Skruffs"|]Okay.
Vote Skruffs [/quote]

Dude, you totally have to explain that martyr thing.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:59 am

Post by Skruffs »

Naw. ANd you should stop pressing it! I originally offered to give myself up if none of the people nominated seemed really suspicoius. I think Dodge is pretty town, and while I've had doubts about you, I don't feel comfortable trying to get you lynched to save mytself. Cheesefan, not so sure about, but I understand his nomination of me (and mine of his) so i'd also feel weird lynching him atm. So. With everyone else rather cleared, I'll vote myself. There's nothing more to it than that, I promise.
Ghyrt
Ghyrt
Goon
Ghyrt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:31 am

Post by Ghyrt »

I'm back. Haven't had time to read yet.
[i]"Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean."
---Aldous Huxley[/i]
Skruffs