The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14750 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:44 am

Post by Rob14 »

There are people currently using the default Windows decompression utility? O.o
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14751 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:31 am

Post by Bulbazak »

Yay! One of my favorite texture packs just updated!
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14752 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

yay 1.6.2! now baby animals will stop escaping from fences/suffocating themselves :)

Anyone know whats the story with boats in 1.6? I know they were never really all that functional to begin with really but the control scheme changed. Now they only go forward 'W' and steer with the mouse. Used to be able to turn with 'A' and 'D' and hit the brakes/go backwards with 'S' but in my experimenting yesterday I found that 'A', 'S', and 'D' don't do shit for boats anymore :(. Makes it a lot harder/impossible to maneuver in tight spaces now, and really puts a damper on my boathouse I was building.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #14753 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:33 am

Post by Klazam »

could we switch to tab showing death count like in the past?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14754 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

Death count is fine how it is. Tab only shows online users, and 1 good day of activity doesn't change that on average for the past several months there has rarely ever been more than 1 user online.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14755 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:56 am

Post by Klazam »

In post 14752, Rhinox wrote:yay 1.6.2! now baby animals will stop escaping from fences/suffocating themselves :)

Anyone know whats the story with boats in 1.6? I know they were never really all that functional to begin with really but the control scheme changed. Now they only go forward 'W' and steer with the mouse. Used to be able to turn with 'A' and 'D' and hit the brakes/go backwards with 'S' but in my experimenting yesterday I found that 'A', 'S', and 'D' don't do shit for boats anymore :(. Makes it a lot harder/impossible to maneuver in tight spaces now, and really puts a damper on my boathouse I was building.
I think that they now function like horses. not sure
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14756 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:56 am

Post by Klazam »

In post 14754, Rhinox wrote:Death count is fine how it is. Tab only shows online users, and 1 good day of activity doesn't change that on average for the past several months there has rarely ever been more than 1 user online.
that's fine, just a wuggestion
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14757 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14755, Klazam wrote:I think that they now function like horses. not sure
yeah I did some research... they unified the horse and boat control scheme in 1.6, but since horses strafe slowly using 'A' and 'D' and boats shouldn't strafe, they changed the value of slowly to zero for boats - problem is horses also go backwards slowly so when changing the value of slowly to zero, boats also no longer brake and go backwards. So yeah.. and pretty much everyone is either complaining about the new controls so probably eventually it will be changed back.
Klazam wrote:that's fine, just a wuggestion
Sorry I didn't mean to sound snippy and dismissive. I just like
mocking
seeing everyone elses deaths :P
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #14758 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 14757, Rhinox wrote:
In post 14755, Klazam wrote:I think that they now function like horses. not sure
yeah I did some research... they unified the horse and boat control scheme in 1.6, but since horses strafe slowly using 'A' and 'D' and boats shouldn't strafe, they changed the value of slowly to zero for boats - problem is horses also go backwards slowly so when changing the value of slowly to zero, boats also no longer brake and go backwards. So yeah.. and pretty much everyone is either complaining about the new controls so probably eventually it will be changed back.
You probably figured it out already, but boats are working closer to Newtonian physics now--if you want to brake, spin around and hit W. Not the best and least boat-crashing solution, but I tried it last night and wasn't that awful.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14759 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:44 am

Post by Klazam »

Now that vanilla's stableish, what do you say to finally hooking it up to IRC?

Also, installing clientside mods' very easy. just go to the forge wiki and follow the instructions there.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14760 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14758, Tierce wrote:You probably figured it out already, but boats are working closer to Newtonian physics now--if you want to brake, spin around and hit W. Not the best and least boat-crashing solution, but I tried it last night and wasn't that awful.
The physics weren't changed at all though, they just eliminated a possible acceleration vector. In the real world if you want to slow a boat down, you shift into reverse, not move the engine to the front of the boat and point it the other way. Or if its more like a rowboat, you just row backwards, not get up and turn around and row the other direction. Its kinda silly. I imagine its not that awful for basically straight line point A to point B ocean crossing stuff - but you should try to see how difficult it is to maneuver from your place up my river and pull into my dock and see if you can do it. God forbid getting anywhere near a swamp/lilly pads. I mean I'm sure it can be done but its more a mini-game at that point than a reasonable method of transportation.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14761 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:37 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 14759, Klazam wrote:Now that vanilla's stableish, what do you say to finally hooking it up to IRC?
I would TOTALLY be on Vanilla more if it was connected to IRC.
Art is cool.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14762 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:51 am

Post by Rob14 »

k, rejoining vanilla server after I get my client-side mods sorted to do so.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14763 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:51 am

Post by Rob14 »

Also, for the record, the reason why I didn't do this a few days ago is because I thought vanilla was deserted still 'cause the bots in IRC said no players. I thought one of the bots was for Vanilla. Connection to IRC is important.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14764 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:26 am

Post by Rhinox »

I don't know if M plans to add IRC or not, but you guys know that because vanilla is cutting edge updates that whenever updates/snapshots happen, IRC and all your client mods are likely going to break right? Just trying to avoid a future "welp I'm done with vanilla until mods update" style ragequit later on. I like that people are coming back to vanilla again but probably not a good idea to do so with the expectation that it will always have IRC/minimap/invtweaks/whatever compatibility.

I usually just leave IRC running in a window behind my minecraft window and leave a small gap underneath when I want to follow whats going on in IRC. Switching windows with alt-tab to type something in IRC then alt-tab back isn't really all that more clunky than using the in-game press t to chat. You still gotta stop doing whatever you're doing to type.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14765 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 am

Post by Klazam »

yeah, I'm aware of that.

I do the same, but would be nice to have irc be able to follow along on all the threads of conversation on vanilla.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14766 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:43 am

Post by Rob14 »

I play Minecraft in full screen, so. :(

And yea, I know the mods won't work when updates occur, but in such situations I would likely just wait for a stable release with at the very least IRC capability before continuing to play. It's no fun when you can't talk to people.

I need Rob13_ to be white-listed, please.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14767 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

Hey put IRC link back in OP.
Art is cool.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #14768 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 am

Post by Maestro »

Hey everybody's complaining. I'll do it soon but using webchat is silly and you should all feel silly. Get IRC clients.

Also Vanilla IRC won't be a thing unless we have Forge/ForgeIRC and/or Bukkit/CraftIRC and/or some similar solution updated to 1.6.2. The reason is because the only
OTHER
way to get a connection to IRC is an internal script inside the server software itself, and that shit needs permissions that I don't/can't have for the machine the server is hosted on in Corin's basement or whatever. Since we already get this server for free, and since our gracious hosting services are kindof more attentive to other things (like profits, for which I don't blame them at all) I am
NOT
going to bug Corin about doing this IRC scripting himself. I understand you guys like having IRC connectivity, and I do too. But we need to wait for one of the stable, easy-to-use pathway Mods to become updated/available before we can get it.

CraftIRC is currently up to 1.6.1, which is cool. It should be 1.6.2 by September, I'd imagine. I'll look into a stable Bukkit build then, but understand that if I install Bukkit I believe the majority agrees with me when I say we should and will have
NOTHING
except CraftIRC: no Essentials /spawn, /tp, /warp - none of it.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14769 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:55 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 14766, Rob14 wrote:I play Minecraft in full screen, so. :(

And yea, I know the mods won't work when updates occur, but in such situations I would likely just wait for a stable release with at the very least IRC capability before continuing to play. It's no fun when you can't talk to people.

I need Rob13_ to be white-listed, please.
RE: the first thing - I do too bro, I even change my nick on IRC so I don't ping myself when I talk in-game on KMP. :lol:

RE: the second thing - so...you guys only want the server as cutting edge as the newest stable IRC Mods are...? #contradictions! trololo

RE: the third thing - done.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14770 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am

Post by Klazam »

amen. just irc, no cheaty commands

it's just convience, that's all. IMO the server should stay as cutting edge as possible.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14771 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 am

Post by Maestro »

Yeah, I'm semi-annoyed that IRC seems to be a defining feature of all of our Minecraft experiences now.

FWIW whenever a big conversation is going on on IRC, I really have trouble tuning it out, unlike others, so I get peeved and annoyed rather than intent on listening - at least generally speaking. Maru's conversations are the obvious example, but I feel like he's not the only one. I just think Vanilla is kinda nice and peaceful, maybe even that much more Vanilla because it
ISN'T
connected to IRC at the moment.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14772 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:01 am

Post by Klazam »

you're the glorious admin, so you decide. :)
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14773 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 am

Post by Maestro »

uh no?

not how this job works, bro
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #14774 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 14768, Maestro wrote:Hey everybody's complaining. I'll do it soon but using webchat is silly and you should all feel silly. Get IRC clients.

Also Vanilla IRC won't be a thing unless we have Forge/ForgeIRC and/or Bukkit/CraftIRC and/or some similar solution updated to 1.6.2. The reason is because the only
OTHER
way to get a connection to IRC is an internal script inside the server software itself, and that shit needs permissions that I don't/can't have for the machine the server is hosted on in Corin's basement or whatever. Since we already get this server for free, and since our gracious hosting services are kindof more attentive to other things (like profits, for which I don't blame them at all) I am
NOT
going to bug Corin about doing this IRC scripting himself. I understand you guys like having IRC connectivity, and I do too. But we need to wait for one of the stable, easy-to-use pathway Mods to become updated/available before we can get it.

CraftIRC is currently up to 1.6.1, which is cool. It should be 1.6.2 by September, I'd imagine. I'll look into a stable Bukkit build then, but understand that if I install Bukkit I believe the majority agrees with me when I say we should and will have
NOTHING
except CraftIRC: no Essentials /spawn, /tp, /warp - none of it.
Getting Bukkit just for IRC is plausible, just dont install any other bloatware we had in past servers
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!

Return to “The Arcade”