The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #14300 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14 am

Post by Klazam »

to be honest, I would strongly recommend you use melee turtles. very easy to make work and very powerful., and requires no fuel
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14301 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

Well I don't have diamonds right now so thats a problem with turtles
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14302 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:26 am

Post by Klazam »

huh

start mining
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #14303 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 14280, Rhinox wrote:
In post 14276, Maestro wrote:if I hear anything from certain individuals about server downtime I'll gladly show those individuals the 4-hour-long dynmap deletion that is currently ongoing. we're either moving to a lowres version of dynmap or we're removing it, because this is a HUGE waste of memory and time on something people barely even use. and all most people do when they do use it is gripe about the lack of a dynmap/IRC bridge which isn't really a priority ATM and probably never will be

Klaz and I are REALLY tempted to remove dynmap - if anybody has sever separation anxiety or has thoughts they should share them
In post 14279, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:I really, realy, really like dnmap and use it all the time, rspecially now that i've haf no access to ftb.
I use dynmap all the time. I generally always have it open while I'm playing. Its extremely useful to tell where un-generated chunks are, which is useful for avoiding generating new chunks (most cases), or to explore new area if there's something I'm looking for (useful to explore new chunks in a systematic way so as to not explore more than needed). I use it for navigating as well, if there is a biome I'm looking for specifically for some resource, or to know how to find someone's place (I don't have waypoints to everyone). I use it to see where people are and what they're working on. I like looking at peoples structures on the dynmap even if all the blocks don't have a texture. Also, IRC is blocked by my work network and my phone is unreliable in the factory, so dynmap is the only way I am able to communicate with people playing on the server for roughly 50hrs per week.

Basically, I've gotten pretty used to playing with dynmap and I'd have to change the way I play if it were to be no more, and I'd be somewhat more disconnected from the community. That being said, the 3D res can probably easily by dialed back a couple clicks. I recall it zooming it more than practical most of the time, while the 2D felt about right. Really though, if I had the choice between way scaled back, or no dynmap at all, I'd still choose way scaled back for the navigation and locating of un-generated chunks, while zooming in is only really useful for viewing structures which is already limited due to not every block having dynmap textures.

tl;dr: please don't take away dynmap completely
I used dynmap all the time, and it isn't just to complain about the lack of chat so your "indirect" attack can go fuck itself. I use it to keep myself updated on what others are doing, like ClamCastle and honeyopolis, since it was too laggy for me to go there myself. I also use it to look for where i feel like building, and for getting directions to peoples' places i don't remember how to get to extremely well.

The beauty of using dynmap, is it gets used without being publicized its being used, so there is no good way to accurately gauge it's usage, other than to have corin monitor the bandwidth used by that URL/port specifically.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14304 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 14281, Maestro wrote:I'm not seeing how this is possible...but the deletion is still going on, guys

I have no idea when it will be done either
Its really simple, if you follow the guides on how to edit it's config. If you'd like assistance, etc...
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14305 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 14283, Maestro wrote:that's exactly what I clicked yes to - I said that no matter what we're deleting all dynmap renders and switching to lowres, but I didn't realize it would take a full 20 hours to delete them all. I mean, I know that at some point while I was sleeping my connection got cut or something, but this has still been going for at least 10 hours now and I actually don't see any significant progress...
I usually open 10 separate FileZilla windows, and set each one to delete 1/10th of the dynmap, it it still takes ~2-4 hours.
Show
Join Now!

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #14306 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 am

Post by Maestro »

at this moment it's still going and I still see no noticeable difference in size...but then again my FTP client can't look at directory sizes so I'm just shooting in the dark based on the number of semi-systematically named dynmap file directories I see *sigh*

also Maru the indirect attack was made with love and not just at you, I've been snippy to a lot of people because of RL frustrations recently and I'd actually like to apologize for that right now

I think you, Blake, davroe, Rhino, and even Klaz all got snapped/raged/yelled at over the past week or so, ILU guys and I'm sorry :(
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14307 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 14304, Maruchan wrote:
In post 14281, Maestro wrote:I'm not seeing how this is possible...but the deletion is still going on, guys

Its really simple, if you follow the guides on how to edit it's config. If you'd like assistance, etc...
uh, this isn't really an answer to what I was saying here...? is this a misquote?

I already have it set to lowres now, I knew how to we just should've done it from the get go (WHYTHEFUCKDOESITDEFAULTTOHIRESUUUUUGH)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14308 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14306, Maestro wrote:at this moment it's still going and I still see no noticeable difference in size...but then again my FTP client can't look at directory sizes so I'm just shooting in the dark based on the number of semi-systematically named dynmap file directories I see *sigh*
By this point I'd have definitely assumed something went wrong and canceled/started over/tried something else. I mean, how big is it? it wouldn't take this long to, say, reformat the whole drive? there's no way anything should take so long to just delete. idk... doesn't make a lot of sense to me but what do I know?
Maestro wrote:I think you, Blake, davroe, Rhino, and even Klaz all got snapped/raged/yelled at over the past week or so, ILU guys and I'm sorry
We heart you too! (well I do at least I probably shouldn't speak for everyone :P )
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14309 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 am

Post by Maestro »

the current FOLDER it's working through is 5 GB
and there're about 1000 folders? I dunno, one for every chunk, I'd say
it's taking about 10-15 mins per folder, the files are small it's just the NUMBER of files is overwhelming, each 1/4 cubic chunk must be a separate image or something...
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14310 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 am

Post by Maestro »

that's all guesswork, btw
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14311 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:59 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 14307, Maestro wrote:
In post 14304, Maruchan wrote:

uh, this isn't really an answer to what I was saying here...? is this a misquote?

I already have it set to lowres now, I knew how to we just should've done it from the get go (WHYTHEFUCKDOESITDEFAULTTOHIRESUUUUUGH)
DynmapForge defaults Hires, DynmapBukkit defaults lores. ;)
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14312 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 14308, Rhinox wrote:
In post 14306, Maestro wrote:at this moment it's still going and I still see no noticeable difference in size...but then again my FTP client can't look at directory sizes so I'm just shooting in the dark based on the number of semi-systematically named dynmap file directories I see *sigh*
By this point I'd have definitely assumed something went wrong and canceled/started over/tried something else. I mean, how big is it? it wouldn't take this long to, say, reformat the whole drive? there's no way anything should take so long to just delete. idk... doesn't make a lot of sense to me but what do I know?
Maestro wrote:I think you, Blake, davroe, Rhino, and even Klaz all got snapped/raged/yelled at over the past week or so, ILU guys and I'm sorry
We heart you too! (well I do at least I probably shouldn't speak for everyone :P )
deleting large masses of folders through FTP is MUCH MUCH slower tan deleting them on your dekstop, it can only delete something like 10 or so files per second.
Show
Join Now!

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14313 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

M is a loveable guy. :P
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14314 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14312, Maruchan wrote:deleting large masses of folders through FTP is MUCH MUCH slower tan deleting them on your dekstop, it can only delete something like 10 or so files per second.
I don't understand why that should be... I mean the deletion should still be happening on the local machine right? the only thing that has to pass through FTP is the deletion command? (or seems like it should be the case idk I don't know much about FTP)
Maestro wrote:the current FOLDER it's working through is 5 GB
and there're about 1000 folders? I dunno, one for every chunk, I'd say
it's taking about 10-15 mins per folder, the files are small it's just the NUMBER of files is overwhelming, each 1/4 cubic chunk must be a separate image or something...
Well 1000 folders times 15 minutes is like 250 hours... I know you said it was guesswork but it seems a bit absurd that it should take that long. I mean, you could transfer that 5 gigs back and forth across FTP about 100 times in 10 days I just don't understand why deleting it takes so much time.

Seems like there should be a better way. I was just googling for "how to delete large quantities of files over FTP" and read a post about how 2.3 gigs spread over 40,000 files took "over an hour" to delete.

suggestions I'm reading about:
-get SSH access
-open a ticket with host/ask host to delete
-write a script that deletes all files in a directory, put it in the directory, and run it
-words like server-side expanding wildcards, shell, command line if those mean anything to you
-backup needed files, reformat partition, restore files

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4456 ... -000-files
http://serverfault.com/questions/334492 ... ftp-or-ssh

This link has a program down in the comments that claims to be able to delete 1000000 files in 43 seconds:
http://serverfault.com/questions/183821 ... -of-files/

idk just trying to help let me know if my help is not needed/wanted and I'll shut up. Just seems like it shouldn't have to take that long.

edit: http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/que ... -using-ftp - looks like helpful info here maybe?
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14315 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

Rhinox no spider spawner grinder = LIES!! I HAS DESIGN 4 U.

I will put up a model on vanilla as soom as I get home. <3
Art is cool.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14316 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:48 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 14314, Rhinox wrote:-get SSH access
-open a ticket with host/ask host to delete
-write a script that deletes all files in a directory, put it in the directory, and run it
-words like server-side expanding wildcards, shell, command line if those mean anything to you
-backup needed files, reformat partition, restore files

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4456 ... -000-files
http://serverfault.com/questions/334492 ... ftp-or-ssh

This link has a program down in the comments that claims to be able to delete 1000000 files in 43 seconds:
http://serverfault.com/questions/183821 ... -of-files/

idk just trying to help let me know if my help is not needed/wanted and I'll shut up. Just seems like it shouldn't have to take that long.

edit: http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/que ... -using-ftp - looks like helpful info here maybe?
Corin has SSH access, and if I knew how to SSH i might have access as well, but I am liable to delete the entire network by accident so won't do it.
Opening a ticket with host / asking host to delete is what i usually have done with dynmap deletions, but our hosting provider customer service rep (CORIN) is currently without internet. X.X
cant run a script like that from a multicraft-permission'd folder I don't think
Show
Join Now!

Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14317 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

In post 14313, fuzzybutternut wrote:
M is a loveable guy. :P
*hugs* for M
You Are Worth It
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14318 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Post by blake5135 »

Mist.. Get your ass on the FTB/Vanilla/IRC NOW. I MISS YOU.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14319 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Copper anyone?
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
tanstalas
tanstalas
Too Much Game
tanstalas
Too Much Game
Too Much Game

Post Post #14320 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Post by tanstalas »

Whitelist me on vanilla?

Tanstalas
FlayTheScum 1:33 am
RC does not have my stash of animal porn, I promise you.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14321 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 14319, fuzzybutternut wrote:Image

Copper anyone?

The server is fucked. Mods working on it now.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14322 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

It's pretty though.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14323 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

I don't know what mod adds the green copper and petroleum, but whatever it is, it has some pretty serious issues. :?
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14324 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Post by Maestro »

Klaz has a post incoming explaining EXACTLY what we did about "that Mod that adds the Green Copper and the Petroleum" :wink:

Return to “The Arcade”