Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1325 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 am

Post by Lowell »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:He also came up with two good plans that I didn't see before and apparently didn't get a lot of discussion. I see no reason why we shouldn't use the plans Lowell came up with. We need to implement them now, especially after we got a scummy person as king (Dead Rik). The Kingmaker could use input and reasoning as to who would make a good king.
Huzzah! Someone else thinks I'm not crazy.

I'm going to
unvote MoS
, if for no other reason than because he likes my plans and considers me pro-town. Well, that and the fact that my vote makes no difference anyway.

Not to bring the argument up again (necessarily), but I can, on some level, sympathize with the hidden Kingmaker who thinks s/he is doing a good job and enjoys the tremendous power s/he wields, and doesn't want to give it up and probably be dead the following morning. However, I CAN'T figure out why a scum would want to out the kingmaker. Even if his thought so far is "wow, the kingmaker has picked some GREAT pro-town players and I'm worried they're going to pick us all off"
(assuming, of course, the 3 thusfar have been both townies and good players),
I still believe scum would rather take their chances with "good" town players (and a chance of being made king themselves) than with a possibly mediocre (but indesputably pro-town) Kingmaker calling the shots.

One other thing, then I'll shut up. I think we are underestimating the harm that one ScumKing can do in this game. I admittedly did not read the first Kingmaker game, but as I watch this game so far I see nothing but opportunities for scum to influence the course of discussion in more ways than to just execute a worrisome townie. There are probably 3 or 4 scum in this game and the longer they sit around the more likely they are to get their shot at redirecting the course of discussion.

That said, I'll find a third for my list, if it really matters for DK's plan, whatever that may be.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #1326 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:20 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

Lowell wrote:Two Discussions I'm Sure Happened But I Missed:

1) Why don't we have the Kingmaker out him/herself and use that person basically as a proxy for the King? That way, we can be sure we have, at the very least, a PRO-TOWN player "directing" the executions. If the reason is no more than "the kingmaker won't want to out himself because he doesn't want to die in the night," that's a crappy reason.

2) When people give their List of Suspects, why don't they also give a List of People Who Would Make a Good King? I feel that choosing the King is as important as who the king executes. So why are we leaving this decision for one anonymous townie to make during the night without help?
I can't remember if it's been said before, and I'm too sleepy to check, but, as to the 1st, why do you think scum won't nightkill the kingmaker? When I'm scum in mountaineous games, I generally try to kill the most pro-town person. Why: by night-killing the most pro-townish, town has a harder job of choosing who to lynch, because everyone else could be potentially scummy. In kingmaker, it'd be the kingmaker.

I need more time to think over the 2nd. The first thing that comes to mind is the danger of scum winning the discussion, and us having scum kings.
Blank.
olio
olio
Mafia Scum
olio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1327 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:39 am

Post by olio »

spectrumvoid wrote:Olio: Just curious, but is the sole reason for your unvote MoS's player analysis? (Don't answer if you're not olio.)
Yes. I first voted him for not answering my question about how his passivity helps town and his lists bring him up from un-passivity in my book.

Dead Rikimaru, what do you mean with "the same" reasons?
[size=75]Music makes the world go 'round,
there's no life without a sound.[/size]
Dead Rikimaru
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1328 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:21 am

Post by Dead Rikimaru »

@olio: "the same" reasons are your own words:
olio wrote:My top three suspects are still same with
the same reasons
:
pablito, LuckayLuck and Nightson.
I just based myself on what you said in the post you mentioned them as your top3.
Because if I look all of your posts and summarize your reasons that are scattered through them I will end up using my own words, I'd rather have your own summary in one post (or let everyone have the work of finding your reasonings by themselves ) than put my words in your mouth.
[i]"Dead Rikimaru is... well, dead. When the lights came back on, he was found turned inside-out, somehow. Disgusting, really. Anyway, he was "Dead Dead Rikimaru" (Self-fulfilling Prophecy)".
-The Scummies 2006 - Red Carpet and Ceremony![/i]
Dead Rikimaru
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1329 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:51 am

Post by Dead Rikimaru »

Lowell wrote: However, I CAN'T figure out why a scum would want to out the kingmaker.
Yes, and you also can't figure why Pooky also suggested outing the Kingmaker, can you? (posts #65 and #68 )
Read the game rules. There MAY be a HERO in this game.
If the King executes the HERO, the King dies instead (but the hero won't be able to be king anymore).

The HERO cannot become Kingmaker, so if we all know the Kingmaker we will know who ISN'T the HERO.

In a lynch or lose situation (remember we do not know how many scum there are, but they do, so when we get in lol only scum will know that) it's an automatic scum win, since they will not run the risk of choosing the possible HERO.

I have suspicions on who could be the kingmaker (as who could possibly have chosen me as King) but I refuse to discuss since it's obviously bad for the town.
[i]"Dead Rikimaru is... well, dead. When the lights came back on, he was found turned inside-out, somehow. Disgusting, really. Anyway, he was "Dead Dead Rikimaru" (Self-fulfilling Prophecy)".
-The Scummies 2006 - Red Carpet and Ceremony![/i]
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #1330 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:59 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Um. I don't think the Hero is the most decisive reason as to why scum would want the Kingmaker outed.

Here's why:

If the scum know who the Kingmaker is (especially by this time in the game), they can effectively gauge how suspicious the Kingmaker is of them, or if the Kingmaker thinks they (collectively and individually) are town. If the Kingmaker is pursuing a largely bad set of suspicions, the scum will leave him/her alive, since the Kingmaker will likely be choosing Kings in such a way that will further their agenda. If the Kingmaker is spot-on, "close enough", or choosing good Kings (even through happenstance), they will probably kill them. And this will likely continue until the scum find a Kingmaker who either thinks a particular scum is town (and might even bestow Kingship on scum), or who is pursuing multiple people who are actually town.

Outing the Kingmaker might help today (if Dead Rikimaru is a scum-King), but after that point the scum will only have even more control and influence over how the rest of the game is played.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1331 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:09 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Or as I like to put it, if he's making Dead Rikimaru king and not just Djelibeybi and Glrok and such, then I stand a chance of being King too(this is a good thing).
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
LuckayLuck
LuckayLuck
You're a townie
LuckayLuck
You're a townie
You're a townie

Post Post #1332 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:20 am

Post by LuckayLuck »

To LuckayLuck and Pablito:
Could you please re-state or summarize why you still feel Mert is scummy?
Thanks for the prod, I had missed this question. (You'll ask, how could I miss a question that had been repeated and talked about so often? Well...yeah, I haven't been keeping up with this thread much. Very lame. Sorry.)

It turns out that I'm sort of...lazy, or maybe unsure is a better way of putting it. I enjoy pablito / pj / glork's train of thought - all three of theirs. (and, dead rikamarus' also...convenient, you'll say, since he's the king. But when I first came into the game I considered dead rikamaru a townie). Glork, I could easily take pablito or pj's thoughts on mert if they had any negative feelings about him, by searching the archives, and spinning it off as my own.

But I won't because that's what I would do, I'll just say it straight out.
There are quite a lot of people who have convinced me of their pro-villagerness, and yeah, I "piggyback" which is terrible, but turns out to be the most effective thing I can do at the moment due to time. I'd be disgusted with my playstyle if I was someone else, but blah.

I'm pretty much stating my intention to proxy my opinion alongside those who I consider townie. (terrible. I could get replaced also) Whatever pablito posts next as to why Mert is scummy is what I will believe.

Sorry. Not the answer you were looking for, but this is as straight as I can give it.
LuckayLuck
LuckayLuck
You're a townie
LuckayLuck
You're a townie
You're a townie

Post Post #1333 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:27 am

Post by LuckayLuck »

PJ wrote:I liked your playstyle at first for it's originality (I still get a certain enjoyment from reading your posts), but admitting that your votes are weak (and even weaker in that you won't be getting any sort of reaction from them), then buddying up to Glork, while finishing up that you will spend your time defending people (without mentioning your defense of Pooky, but only your defense of MBL) all in three lines has forced an eyebrow lifting. Please explain.
Okay, I felt like I needed another post on this.
Normally, my playstyle would be seriously considering the opinions of those who I considered pro-town, trying to connect them together (in this case, it would mainly be connecting PJ - Glork - Pablito as three of my most memorable townies). Then, I'd rehash adding my own input.

Due to lack of time, I have been skipping the latter steps and basically just been proxying my opinion to these people, who I trust to be townies.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1334 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:35 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

^ All right, but you would please explain this, then:

Post 1246.

1.) If you claim to be "piggybacking", why you are actually going after and voting people who have been replaced or needed replaced?

At the time of your post, two of the people you voted had already been replaced, and the third needed replacement (and has in fact been replaced).

2.) Explain how that is consistent with your claimed playstyle
3.) Explain how you expected your votes to do anything while sitting on people who needed replacement or were, in fact, already replaced
4.) Explain how you seemed to have missed the replacements (even if you looked at the first post and picked who you thought were the people who posted the least, you would have noticed the replacements' names next to those players).
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1335 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:36 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:LoL, that's because I don't particularly care if I make it through this day. I'm doing this out of generosity, so that when I die you know that what I said was made from a protown perspective and can lynch all the scumbags I nabbed for you. No need to get townie feels now, you'll get plenty of townie vibes when the mod announces my death.
*bump* for SV
Permanent V/LA.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1336 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:40 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

petroleumjelly wrote:Um. I don't think the Hero is the most decisive reason as to why scum would want the Kingmaker outed.

Here's why:

If the scum know who the Kingmaker is (especially by this time in the game), they can effectively gauge how suspicious the Kingmaker is of them, or if the Kingmaker thinks they (collectively and individually) are town. If the Kingmaker is pursuing a largely bad set of suspicions, the scum will leave him/her alive, since the Kingmaker will likely be choosing Kings in such a way that will further their agenda. If the Kingmaker is spot-on, "close enough", or choosing good Kings (even through happenstance), they will probably kill them. And this will likely continue until the scum find a Kingmaker who either thinks a particular scum is town (and might even bestow Kingship on scum), or who is pursuing multiple people who are actually town.

Outing the Kingmaker might help today (if Dead Rikimaru is a scum-King), but after that point the scum will only have even more control and influence over how the rest of the game is played.
If they leave the Kingmaker alive, then we know that Kingmaker is making wrong decisions and can adjust. It becomes a giant ball of WIFOM that leaves the scum better off just killing the Kingmaker.
Permanent V/LA.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1337 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:44 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

That post made no sense to me, MoS. How is it you conclude that no matter what, the scum are "better off killing the Kingmaker"?
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1338 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:50 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

The thing about killing the kingmaker, though, is that the new kingmaker might be a townie we already thought was suspicious, in which case they become unlynchable; it dosn't really matter all that much yet, but if we get down to a more end-game-ish situation with, say, about 9 people left, the scum could really mess themselves up by killing the kingmaker if a scummy looking townie becomes the new kingmaker, preventing what otherwise would have been a mislynch. In fact, I suggested that it might be bad if we reveal who the kingmaker is just becuase then the scum could AVOID killing that person.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1339 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:30 am

Post by pablito »

Well I guess here's my discussion on Mert/RafK and by proxy it happens to be LuckayLuck's as well (which I do begrudgingly):

I'm going to use a lot of my old posts, because they describe my suspicions on Mert/RafK well. Also, the crux of my argument on Mert relies on what I posted in my six-player post in post 649.
pablito wrote:vote: Mert

Mert is trying to look like he's some defender of justified voting styles or something when in reality he's just pushing around the stupid wagons that have nothing to do with actual scumminess. He's just pushing suspicion on people who have decided to abandon "traditional voting". Voting by gut, not voting at all and making joke votes aren't inherently scummy (frustrating, though, yes), and they're some wagons that can pick up speed very very fast. The whole argument is about trying to "hide their true intentions" because we have no paper trail. But Mert is also trying to hide his true suspicions by voting cbox - who is way too easy of a vote to show his true suspicions and voting based on a set rule (those who refuse to vote how he votes). I think it's scummy to vote based upon a "rule". And then he tries to pair up MoS and Phoebus which I really don't understand.
Mert talked a lot about every single odd voting style except for MoS' non-voting. But then Mert finally bothered to talk about it later, but did so while pairing MoS with Phoebus. Since Mert liked to talk a lot about random voting and other crap, I find it hard to believe that Mert would have not chosen to talk about non-voting as well. It's not the content of the discussion that's scummy at all, it's the chronology. Mert's posts in context of the discussion that was occuring did NOT follow a logical progression in my opinion. Mert was pushing specific arguments that looked tailored to his own desires, not discussions that were exclusively beneficial to the town at that point in time. It just seemed that Mert's contribution to the discussions was not what I would've expected.
pabs in D2 wrote: Mert to me appeared to be distant and cold in his unspoken thought process. It just felt too mechanistic and too rigid. Even though he never explicitly stated it, he had a system for voting people which I pointed out earlier when I first voted him. I feel that true town players will evaluate case by case and not rely on certain criteria to become alarmed. Mert's thought process (as I interpreted it) did not feel pro-town at all. The way he approached the town had a town feel to it, but it smelled scummy to me. Again, it's not necessarily the content of his posts, but the information that he chose to glean from town discussion. In day two, his posts (I think most were lost) feel more genuine and that's why I haven't really pursued continuing with him. He's still in the back of my mind though. I think either Mert has more information to go on and is thus presenting himself better, or that he knows he's at stake and has to wisen up. Also he's becoming more visible, and it seems that once that happens, I ease up on them and let others decide how to gauge him.
Mert tried to talk a lot about every single odd voting pattern but never explicitly said that's what he's focusing on. I felt that at that time in D1, he could have bothered to look at people on a case-by-case basis instead of fad-voting for Phoebus and cardboardbox and all those whoever he voted. I feel that externalizing his locus of voting is a good scum tell. Mert tried to vote anyone who did some awkward voting. He made a criterion that he mentally kept up with and didn't really stray from.

In my 6-player post, I point out that Mert baited a discussion about the LoE very very early. I felt that the chronology of it might have been to distract people away from MoS, of whom Mert didn't really address until late and also tried to hide his mention of MoS. On retrospect, there's a lot of Mert protecting MoS. I'm going to throw them out as possible scum partners.

Therefore, I'd like to know what RafK thinks about MoS and Phoebus currently.

But if RafK could give anything about why Mert was more interested in talking about LoE processes than MoS, then that'd be awesome. That's in posts 42/44->104->155 (but not exclusive to these posts)

Then, as well, what does RafK think about odd voting processes, like voting by gut, never voting, joke-voting, the "unvote all; vote: X" manuever, or only voting people that are on the LoE.
Sup, later.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #1340 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Post by spectrumvoid »

Just skimmed through because I'm in school

Olio:
Here's a hypothetical example. I accuse you of lurking. Immediately after the accusation, you post something. How does that in any way erase the fact that you were lurking before? So you're saying that you're unvoting him because he listened to you and changed? I don't think that's a good enough reason, simply because it doesn't excuse his past behaviour. That's like saying we'll forget everything that happened day 1 when we get to day 2.
Blank.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1341 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:57 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Limited to no access this Friday/Saturday.
LuckayLuck
LuckayLuck
You're a townie
LuckayLuck
You're a townie
You're a townie

Post Post #1342 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:16 pm

Post by LuckayLuck »

e
petroleumjelly wrote:^ All right, but you would please explain this, then:

Post 1246.

1.) If you claim to be "piggybacking", why you are actually going after and voting people who have been replaced or needed replaced?

At the time of your post, two of the people you voted had already been replaced, and the third needed replacement (and has in fact been replaced).
2.) Explain how that is consistent with your claimed playstyle[/quote]

I picked three people who I would not piggyback on.
PJ wrote:3.) Explain how you expected your votes to do anything while sitting on people who needed replacement or were, in fact, already replaced
My votes were throwaway, I didn't expect them to really "matter." In fact:

unvote all

Proxy opinion to PJ + Glork + Pablito combo.
Strange that all three share no same target. I'll pick the one I like best from each of them. Don't put too much stock in my choice, these match my outdated beliefs from a while ago.

Vote: Mert, Spectrumvoid, Yosarian

(I have briefly glanced over the reasons that Pablito / PJ / Glork have given for voting for these people. For the moment, you can assume that I agree completely unless otherwise stated with these opinions, and I take responsibility if they are incorrect.)
Proxy Mert vote, as well as reasons to vote Mert to Pablito
Proxy Spectrumvoid vote, as well as reasons to vote Spectrumvoid to PJ
Proxy Yosarian vote, RELUCTANTLY, from Glork's list which I must say I don't like very much. Two months ago(?) I stated that I like MoS and nightson both. I have not had the opportunity to re-evaluate if I still like them yet so my belief here is actually very dangerous since I really don't have much against Yos especially after the Pooky-Yos thing which I only briefly skimmed over. But still, I trust Glork a great deal. So I go with Yos.

PJ wrote:4.) Explain how you seemed to have missed the replacements (even if you looked at the first post and picked who you thought were the people who posted the least, you would have noticed the replacements' names next to those players).
I've been pretty inattentive.
olio
olio
Mafia Scum
olio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1343 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:10 am

Post by olio »

Dead Rikimaru wrote: Because if I look all of your posts and summarize your reasons that are scattered through them I will end up using my own words, I'd rather have your own summary in one post (or let everyone have the work of finding your reasonings by themselves ) than put my words in your mouth.
That's wierd. How could you miss my first post if you viewed all my posts?

LuckayLuck, are you going to start think on your own during this game?
spectrumvoid wrote: So you're saying that you're unvoting him because he listened to you and changed?
Where did you get such an idea? I wanted MoS to answer a question. I put vote on him to
underline
that urge. He didn't answer directly to my question, but showed activity which in my eyes was like answering to that question. I removed my vote.

It's called pressure vote, even though it doesn't mean much in this set-up.
[size=75]Music makes the world go 'round,
there's no life without a sound.[/size]
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1344 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:17 am

Post by Glork »

LL wrote:Proxy Yosarian vote, RELUCTANTLY, from Glork's list which I must say I don't like very much.
Yeah, see, thing is... I seem to recall you not liking my desire to execute Pooky either.

Unvote Nightson, Vote: LL

The whole "I'm going to brown-nose Glork even though I completely disagree with his list" thing bothers me. A lot. In fact, this whole "I'm going to vote for my favorite choice out of other peoples' lists" thing bothers me. A lot. Take your own stance. Going with the flow because you "trust" somebody else is, well... scummy. Quite scummy.
DR, please make my new list
MoS, LL, Yos
with the same stipulation (MoS and Yos are not BOTH scum) as before.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #1345 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:08 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

Olio: Erm. I think he meant he didn't want to look through and summarise, not that he had done the look through. Thanks for the explanation.

Last addition to the MIDDLE of my list (it's MoS, XYZ, any lurker): LL.

After the last couple of posts of his, he comes across as scummy. I was willing to excuse him earlier because I thought that him assuming that a lot of people were protown, could be his playstyle, and I try not to penalise people solely based on that. I don't like the way he looks through everyone else's list, and picks out the more common names. It seems as if LL has 1) no mind of his own 2) wagoning 3) completely not paying attention to this game.
Blank.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #1346 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:09 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

Oh, and I'm not going to bring out the kingmaker strategy. I don't understand a lot of the reasons for and against it, so I have no solid opinions on that.
Blank.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1347 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Post by pablito »

I kinda like this mini-wagon on LL, because yeah, I suspect LL. But at the same time, I wonder how much of the voting is going on because no one understands LL's MO and are attacking his playstyle rather than his level of scumminess. Chalk one up for the sphinx. I don't think that proxying is inherently scummy. It is a bit eyebrow-raising right now though, but it's still nothing new. LL has been very clear that he's proxying. The manner in which he's doing it now is suspicious, because it's relying more on mechanics than feeling. And that's scummy, I will admit, but it's not entirely new.

And you have to admit that LL is continuing with his proxy style and pointing toward it is bringing further attention to the act. And that could get WIFOMy. So SV suddenly adding LL is a bit too convenient for my tastes, at the moment. But I still like my top 3 though.
Sup, later.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #1348 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Post by spectrumvoid »

Actually, it's because I realised I only had 2 on my LOS. I originally had Yos, but I think he has answered adequately about the interaction between him and Glork.
Blank.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1349 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:21 pm

Post by pablito »

Oh wait, I misread your list. My mistake, just like the redheads trying to chase the boyband. LL was to the middle of your list, not a new addition, right?
Sup, later.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”