Newbie 1368 - Will there ever be a title? (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Post by Candillan »

In post 148, LnGrrrR wrote:
In post 142, Candillan wrote:
In post 141, LnGrrrR wrote:
In post 138, Ravenpaw wrote:But Grim was scum last time.
Yes, but he sounded very townie last game. Everyone pretty much thought he was town. (And it likely would've come back to bite him, as people would've wondered why he wasn't getting NK'd.
This post's logic doesn't make sense. He was scum last game, and because he's acting the same way this time, he's town? That makes zero sense.
He was acting town last game. Did anyone think he was scum last game? No, because he acted town. He is acting town here so I give him townie points. Should I only give him town points if he acts scummy?
If anything, that would make this a null tell, would it not? He could have drawn scum, and he could just be acting the same way. For you to give him townie points for doing the same thing he was doing as scum is nonsensical.
For the record, I thought he was scum last game. ;)
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 140, Crandaja wrote:Grim I still get a bad feeling from. His deduction seems to be erratic and a lot different from last game. I don't really get what he's trying to do.
I don't like how you're being so insistant on this. This constant repetition is not going to change what I already have said about it. I have already explained what I was trying to do: find scum. I thought I saw a scumslip and acted on it. I was wrong, but as I asked Ravenpaw before (which she left unanswered): What reasonable tactic do you see behind it that is scummy? And by reasonable I mean: a tactic that has even the slightest chance of succeeding? An easy lynch? How would that even work? If Syryana hadn't found it, you yourself would still have been in the position to point out my mistake, as you already knew what you were referring to. As scum I would know for a fact that this wouldn't be a scumslip and that it would be an easily deflected attack. Then why would I do it? The fact that I actually believed in my argument is the only reason why I brought it up and thought it could have a chance of success. And how could I believe in it in the position of being scum myself?

I STILL find your RVS-vote very odd, and though my initial reason may have been wrong (scumslip referring to a QT-post), the secondary reason why it's odd (reference to a historical post ) is almost as compelling. It literally seemed to have come falling out of the sky, and also the way you explained it makes it sound like it did, but I have difficulties believing it.

Your OMGUS-tunnelling isn't making me feel very good about you. Still have to read through the topic more in depth before possibly changing my vote.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 11:11 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 118, Candillan wrote:I adressed this in my previous post. My meta is anti-meta, as I am consciously playing differently every game. Relying on meta won't be helpful, and I won't take it seriously. I used myself as an example, but I believe that meta arguments in general are total garbage.
How do you consider your playstyle here different from the one in the Title Pending game. If it's conscious, you should be able to explain the differences you have applied when this topic opened.
What variables do you see when it comes to meta? I mean, maybe you could change some obvious things, like amount of posts and their length, votehopping or not, but wouldn't you agree that when it comes to reacting to what other people say in quite constant?
And even if it is useless in your case, why does that make it useless in any other case? I see in your latest conversation you're discussing my meta from Title Pending quite in depth. Why bother if it doesn't mean anything?
By the way, what my meta is concerned, I think I already said this before: I'll be playing the same way as before. As long as I have the time to do so, I will always play like this, scum or town. But these are just the big lines. I'm not sure if unconciously, there could be some differences in the way I post or put up argumentations. But that's mainly your job to find out about.
In post 24, Candillan wrote:Alright, that's fine then.
Could you give me an example of when re-RVSing would not be fine?
Nope, I can't think of any.
Why did you ask about my re-RVS? How does it fit in with the scumhunt?
I also adressed this in my last post. It isn't bussing, it's giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not gonna go super-offensive on him when he says that he's gonna post. I'm giving him air to breathe. It's a friendly game, either way. Why am I not allowed to be friendly with other players?
This has got nothing to do with friendliness. Why bring up such an emotional argument? I don't think shaboostein would start crying himself to sleep at night just because you'd vote him. I find the interchange between the two of you very odd. An associative tell is what I see.
Yeah, it's OMGUS. Sue me.
My posting was for pressure, as everything else I've been doing has been. Reaction testing is a powerful thing, Grim. It helps you assemble reads.

I am seriously trying to gather reads, but I've been terrible at it this time around. I do seriously see Homer and Syryana as townie, though. I was leaning town on you, but your jumping on this case is making me doubt that somewhat. It seems a wee bit too convenient.
So anyone who's been on your case automatically no longer leans town. That's a whole lot of OMGUS right there, and yes, I think you should be sued for it. LnGrrrR put forward some reasonable arguments against you, yet instead of seeing the merit in them you simply call his attack on you scummy. I agree with him, and you call me scummy. How is me attacking you convenient for me?
And what does the thing in bold have to do with anything? Was you calling LnGrrrR scummy simply a reaction test? Is that what you're saying? How do you think he reacted then?
Also, if you really saw this as being so scummy, why aren't you voting me?
You calling me out? :) You're in my top 3 scumreads now, so first reason why I didn't vote you is because there are alternatives. It's not as if I'm not voting. What scummy reasons would you see for me not voting for you, that would make this question more than simply showing your defiance? And would me adding a vote to my arguments have changed your reaction to them?
In post 93, Candillan wrote: 'twas a joke.
Urgh. I like a good laugh, but people blaming having said weird things on "joking" are always scummy in my book.
Okay.
As far as jokes go, it wasn't even really funny as in "hahaha"-funny. I don't think you would think it "haha"-funny either. The only thing that makes it a joke is that it is not sincere. But that's not enough for a joke. It is enough for a scummy statement.
Crand took my vote seriously because I wasn't known to do that often, and therefore likely assumed it was a serious vote. (which is was, but not because it was an actual scum accusation. It was for pressure. I saw a good opportunity, and I took it.)
"I wasn't known to do that often" = meta-argument. And to be perfectly honest, I never associated you with someone who doesn't like voting or changing votes all the time. Anyway, I don't like the argument in the quote above, hard to put my finger on it but the logical conclusion that Crandaja took your vote seriously (did he?) because of your meta (did he?) doesn't really add up. And even if it does, it goes to show that meta IS useful and you are willing to use it in your gaming strategy.
Yes, it is useful for me to use, not for you all. By you all using my meta to ascertain my alignment in this game, I am able to use that examination to make you all think certain things of me when I really am pulling the wool over your eyes.
Why would you want to do that as town? In that case scum would already know who you are, so you'd only be fooling town.
I'm buddying Raven. Not scumbuddies, but shameless sheeping and things of the like. LnGrrrR asked me why /I/ wasn't putting pressure on Raven, and I'm assuming he wanted me to put pressure on her. (Meanwhile, may I note how he didn't pressure her at all after I said that I wouldn't? It seems like he doesn't beli
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

The last two lines from the previous post (strating from "I'm buddying") are the remnants of a Candillan quote I failed to delete.
LnGrrrR
LnGrrrR
Goon
LnGrrrR
Goon
Goon

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 2:28 am

Post by LnGrrrR »

In post 150, Candillan wrote: If anything, that would make this a null tell, would it not? He could have drawn scum, and he could just be acting the same way. For you to give him townie points for doing the same thing he was doing as scum is nonsensical.
No, because that's how you end up living in WIFOMland. I give town points to townie actions. If he ends up being super townie and lives to D3, then I will start acting suspicious. If he slips up, then I will get suspicious. Anything else is WIFOMy.

Acting town is not a "null" tell.
Ravenpaw
Ravenpaw
Goon
Ravenpaw
Goon
Goon

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:00 am

Post by Ravenpaw »

In post 139, homertve wrote: Ravenpaw, why did you unvote Cran?
I don't find him scummy anymore.
In post 151, Grimgroove wrote: I don't like how you're being so insistant on this. This constant repetition is not going to change what I already have said about it. I have already explained what I was trying to do: find scum. I thought I saw a scumslip and acted on it. I was wrong, but as I asked Ravenpaw before (which she left unanswered):
I did answer it.
Ravenpaw
Ravenpaw
Goon
Ravenpaw
Goon
Goon

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 am

Post by Ravenpaw »

Vote: Lingerrr

I'm not liking the defense of Grim's play that it's like his previous game, also that you don't back down from how the point is not a valid read for Grim here leaves me uneasy.
Ravenpaw
Ravenpaw
Goon
Ravenpaw
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 am

Post by Ravenpaw »

Yo Candillian:
In post 138, Ravenpaw wrote: Candi what's your read on Lingerrr?
Syryana
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Always Andy
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:04 am

Post by Syryana »

In post 155, Ravenpaw wrote:I don't find him scummy anymore.
Why not?
In the timeless words of a great and revered man: "Blow it out your ass."
A hydra of Rift Adrift, Oil Tycoons and Trust Fund. "In the Oil Rift we Trust."
Syryana
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Always Andy

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:04 am

Post by Syryana »

Him being Crandaja
Crandaja
Crandaja
Townie
Crandaja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:06 am

Post by Crandaja »

In post 151, Grimgroove wrote:
In post 140, Crandaja wrote:Grim I still get a bad feeling from. His deduction seems to be erratic and a lot different from last game. I don't really get what he's trying to do.
I don't like how you're being so insistant on this. This constant repetition is not going to change what I already have said about it. I have already explained what I was trying to do: find scum. I thought I saw a scumslip and acted on it. I was wrong, but as I asked Ravenpaw before (which she left unanswered): What reasonable tactic do you see behind it that is scummy? And by reasonable I mean: a tactic that has even the slightest chance of succeeding? An easy lynch? How would that even work? If Syryana hadn't found it, you yourself would still have been in the position to point out my mistake, as you already knew what you were referring to. As scum I would know for a fact that this wouldn't be a scumslip and that it would be an easily deflected attack. Then why would I do it? The fact that I actually believed in my argument is the only reason why I brought it up and thought it could have a chance of success. And how could I believe in it in the position of being scum myself?

I STILL find your RVS-vote very odd, and though my initial reason may have been wrong (scumslip referring to a QT-post), the secondary reason why it's odd (reference to a historical post ) is almost as compelling. It literally seemed to have come falling out of the sky, and also the way you explained it makes it sound like it did, but I have difficulties believing it.

Your OMGUS-tunnelling isn't making me feel very good about you. Still have to read through the topic more in depth before possibly changing my vote.
Would you calm down? Homer asked me what I thought about you and I told him. Just because you have some ridiculous reasoning doesn't mean i feel any better about you.
Crandaja
Crandaja
Townie
Crandaja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 am

Post by Crandaja »

Its not really OMGUS for me anymore Grim. You are the only one in the thread that his slipped as far as I can tell. Therefore you have my vote. Until I get a compelling reason to change it, its going to stay there.
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 am

Post by Candillan »

In post 152, Grimgroove wrote: How do you consider your playstyle here different from the one in the Title Pending game. If it's conscious, you should be able to explain the differences you have applied when this topic opened.
What variables do you see when it comes to meta? I mean, maybe you could change some obvious things, like amount of posts and their length, votehopping or not, but wouldn't you agree that when it comes to reacting to what other people say in quite constant?
And even if it is useless in your case, why does that make it useless in any other case? I see in your latest conversation you're discussing my meta from Title Pending quite in depth. Why bother if it doesn't mean anything?
By the way, what my meta is concerned, I think I already said this before: I'll be playing the same way as before. As long as I have the time to do so, I will always play like this, scum or town. But these are just the big lines. I'm not sure if unconciously, there could be some differences in the way I post or put up argumentations. But that's mainly your job to find out about.
Some things that I notice are the things you just stated there. Post amounts, their lengths, vote hopping, lurking, and a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.
I'm saying that if I can do it so easily, then who says other people can't/won't do it, too?
My problem with LnGrrrR's read on you is the logic of the matter. The statement in itself doesn't make sense.
In post 24, Candillan wrote:Alright, that's fine then.
Could you give me an example of when re-RVSing would not be fine?
Nope, I can't think of any.
Why did you ask about my re-RVS? How does it fit in with the scumhunt?
Reaction testing.
I also adressed this in my last post. It isn't bussing, it's giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not gonna go super-offensive on him when he says that he's gonna post. I'm giving him air to breathe. It's a friendly game, either way. Why am I not allowed to be friendly with other players?
This has got nothing to do with friendliness. Why bring up such an emotional argument? I don't think shaboostein would start crying himself to sleep at night just because you'd vote him. I find the interchange between the two of you very odd. An associative tell is what I see.
The same thing happened in Newbie 1335 when I wasn't pressuring A_Stone very much, and Maenara called me out on it. I'm just not an aggressive player. :P
Yeah, it's OMGUS. Sue me.
My posting was for pressure, as everything else I've been doing has been. Reaction testing is a powerful thing, Grim. It helps you assemble reads.

I am seriously trying to gather reads, but I've been terrible at it this time around. I do seriously see Homer and Syryana as townie, though. I was leaning town on you, but your jumping on this case is making me doubt that somewhat. It seems a wee bit too convenient.
So anyone who's been on your case automatically no longer leans town. That's a whole lot of OMGUS right there, and yes, I think you should be sued for it. LnGrrrR put forward some reasonable arguments against you, yet instead of seeing the merit in them you simply call his attack on you scummy. I agree with him, and you call me scummy. How is me attacking you convenient for me?
And what does the thing in bold have to do with anything? Was you calling LnGrrrR scummy simply a reaction test? Is that what you're saying? How do you think he reacted then?
The OMGUS was a reaction test. I don't think I should be sued for it. I broke his points down one by one. They were scumhunting, but I couldn't tell if it was genuine or fake.
Your sheeping of the case seemed opportunistic. That, I did actually find scummy.
The bolded was..... actually I dunno. Lemme check, I'll make a post after this.
Also, if you really saw this as being so scummy, why aren't you voting me?
You calling me out? :) You're in my top 3 scumreads now, so first reason why I didn't vote you is because there are alternatives. It's not as if I'm not voting. What scummy reasons would you see for me not voting for you, that would make this question more than simply showing your defiance? And would me adding a vote to my arguments have changed your reaction to them?
So Shaboo is probably getting replaced. Does your scumread on him still stand? Who is the other person? Crand?
Yes, it would change my view on it. I found it about as odd as Syryana's post where he stated a bunch of reasons why you're scummy, then voted Crand. It didn't line up.
In post 93, Candillan wrote: 'twas a joke.
Urgh. I like a good laugh, but people blaming having said weird things on "joking" are always scummy in my book.
Okay.
As far as jokes go, it wasn't even really funny as in "hahaha"-funny. I don't think you would think it "haha"-funny either. The only thing that makes it a joke is that it is not sincere. But that's not enough for a joke. It is enough for a scummy statement.
It was more of the type of humor Thor uses. At least, that's the closest way to describe it.
Crand took my vote seriously because I wasn't known to do that often, and therefore likely assumed it was a serious vote. (which is was, but not because it was an actual scum accusation. It was for pressure. I saw a good opportunity, and I took it.)
"I wasn't known to do that often" = meta-argument. And to be perfectly honest, I never associated you with someone who doesn't like voting or changing votes all the time. Anyway, I don't like the argument in the quote above, hard to put my finger on it but the logical conclusion that Crandaja took your vote seriously (did he?) because of your meta (did he?) doesn't really add up. And even if it does, it goes to show that meta IS useful and you are willing to use it in your gaming strategy.
Yes, it is useful for me to use, not for you all. By you all using my meta to ascertain my alignment in this game, I am able to use that examination to make you all think certain things of me when I really am pulling the wool over your eyes.
Why would you want to do that as town? In that case scum would already know who you are, so you'd only be fooling town.
Yeah, and it makes it easier for me to play as scum in the future, as people won't have meta on me. :P
This is just an overarching plan of mine for the long term. It's also a way for me to try out different playstyles and see what works best. :D

Now, brb, time to look for what I meant with that bolded part...

PEDIT:
@Raven, Whoops, forgot to post that. D:
He's Null leaning Scum. His case on me was scumhunting, which is good, but his point on Grim doesn't make sense.

@LnGrrrR, one minute lemme respond to that.

More posts every time I press submit I cry ;~;
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:10 am

Post by Candillan »

Oh, it was me saying that the OMGUS was for pressure, lol.
Crandaja
Crandaja
Townie
Crandaja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:11 am

Post by Crandaja »

Oh Candillian. I'm just curious but what is a Pedit?
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:14 am

Post by Candillan »

In post 154, LnGrrrR wrote:
In post 150, Candillan wrote: If anything, that would make this a null tell, would it not? He could have drawn scum, and he could just be acting the same way. For you to give him townie points for doing the same thing he was doing as scum is nonsensical.
No, because that's how you end up living in WIFOMland. I give town points to townie actions. If he ends up being super townie and lives to D3, then I will start acting suspicious. If he slips up, then I will get suspicious. Anything else is WIFOMy.

Acting town is not a "null" tell.
WIFOM is the enemy, indeed. I wouldn't trust him for doing the same thing that he did as scum, though. If he fooled you all, then shouldn't you be more wary of him this time around? You seem quick to call him town, and I don't like it.

Pedit:
Pedit is a Preview Edit, where you press submit and it says "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this." and it gives you a chance to revise your post.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 am

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 160, Crandaja wrote:

Would you calm down? Homer asked me what I thought about you and I told him. Just because you have some ridiculous reasoning doesn't mean i feel any better about you.
I am calm.
What makes the reasoning ridiculous?
Crandaja
Crandaja
Townie
Crandaja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:32 am

Post by Crandaja »

I'm sorry but I have to go to work. Duty calls. I'll respond to the question in a couple hours.
LnGrrrR
LnGrrrR
Goon
LnGrrrR
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:55 am

Post by LnGrrrR »

Here's the thing Candy (and others): If I were to give null reads to town comments, just because that person was scum once, then nearly every "townie" comment could be misconstrued as as a scum/null one.

What you're suggesting is that Grimgroove couldn't possibly provide any townie vibes his game, because any townie vibes could theoretically be scum vibes. I don't feel like poisoning that well.
Syryana
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Always Andy

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 4:56 am

Post by Syryana »

In post 166, Grimgroove wrote:I am calm.
Grim, if you can't restrain yourself we're going to have to take steps.
LnGrrrR wrote:Here's the thing Candy (and others): If I were to give null reads to town comments, just because that person was scum once, then nearly every "townie" comment could be misconstrued as as a scum/null one.

What you're suggesting is that Grimgroove couldn't possibly provide any townie vibes his game, because any townie vibes could theoretically be scum vibes. I don't feel like poisoning that well.
This.
homertve
homertve
Goon
homertve
Goon
Goon

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 5:07 am

Post by homertve »

In post 158, Syryana wrote:
In post 155, Ravenpaw wrote:I don't find him scummy anymore.
Why not?
Yeah, I asked the original question. "I don't find him scummy anymore" is not a real answer.
In post 152, Grimgroove wrote:You calling me out? :) You're in my top 3 scumreads now, so first reason why I didn't vote you is because there are alternatives. It's not as if I'm not voting.
Who are your three scumreads now?
Crandaja
Crandaja
Townie
Crandaja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Post by Crandaja »

Well you could definitely put some pressure on me. The argument that you could not have made the post if you were scum really doesn't make much sense. That early in the game it really doesn't do you much harm to be wrong (clearly) since I'm the only one that seemed bothered by your error. You wouldn't need to believe it to post it. Lying is part of this game.
In post 151, Grimgroove wrote: I STILL find your RVS-vote very odd, and though my initial reason may have been wrong (scumslip referring to a QT-post), the secondary reason why it's odd (reference to a historical post ) is almost as compelling. It literally seemed to have come falling out of the sky, and also the way you explained it makes it sound like it did, but I have difficulties believing it.

How exactly is a reference to a historical post compelling in any way? Even Candillian remembered the interaction as being one of our only ones so I don't know why this makes me scum. It seems extremely desperate to me.

As I said before its not OMGUS. I don't care about you voting me but you made a pretty significant accusation and contradicted yourself instantly. This and the ridiculous yes vs. yep paint you as a scum.
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Post by Edosurist »

VC 1.5

Grimgroove
(1): Crandaja
Candillan
(1): LnGrrrR
Crandaja
(1): Syryana
shaboostein
(3): Grimgroove, Candillan, RachMarie
Syryana
(1): homertve
Not voting
: shaboostein, Ravenpaw

shaboostein only has less than an hour left to pick up his prod, so if he doesn't, my next post here will likely include the name of the person who replaces him.

Day 1 ends in
(expired on 2013-06-04 22:43:00)
The name's Edosurist. People call me Edos.
I'm back from hiatus (again), so please don't make me leave again (x4) by calling me
Edo
Edoist
(pronounced E-do-ist or e-DOIST? I'm not quite certain), or
Endoperson

Wiki (will eventually get updated) | Looking for a reviewer for a 24-themed (slightly) bastard mini.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 170, homertve wrote:
In post 152, Grimgroove wrote:You calling me out? :) You're in my top 3 scumreads now, so first reason why I didn't vote you is because there are alternatives. It's not as if I'm not voting.
Who are your three scumreads now?

Candillan, Crandaja, Ravenpaw are in my top 3 scumreads. I'm planning to give a full reads list (probably tomorrow) of every player here to clarify this. Need to IC some more people.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 171, Crandaja wrote: This and the ridiculous yes vs. yep paint you as a scum.
Since shaboostein is being replaced, and this really rubbed me the wrong way:

VOTE: Crandaja

Will respond to your more post more in depth later today, even though we're mostly going in circles.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”