Newbie 1368 - Will there ever be a title? (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Post by Candillan »

In post 99, LnGrrrR wrote:
In post 96, Candillan wrote:I didn't say that this game, and the only thing close to it was a joke.
So the "aura of scumminess" and "easy wagon" lines from post 85 were jokes too?
Yes.
Yes, I was 'throwing my vote around', but I wasn't known to have a habit of doing that. That's why I like to defy my 'meta'.
I said nothing about your voting in regards to your meta, only the "Oh no an RVS wagon!" comments.

You yourself said you werent vote happy but you were acting vote happy.
I didn't say "Oh no an RVS wagon" this game, did I? I said that I'm not vote-happy so that you all would take my votes seriously. It seems to have worked.
Crand took my vote seriously because I wasn't known to do that often, and therefore likely assumed it was a serious vote. (which is was, but not because it was an actual scum accusation. It was for pressure. I saw a good opportunity, and I took it.)
To me, one post from Crand doesn't feel like you provided a lot of pressure.
To each their own.
I didn't say I was clearing him as town. I'm still reading him. To be honest, the case on him is dependent on Raven being scum, as the whole case revolves around his RVS vote on Raven seeming suspicious. You can't call it scummy unless Raven is scum, as it's an associative tell.
Could you please explain this further? Also, if his case depends on Raven being scum, why not put pressure on Raven?
Because I don't see Raven as scummy? Also, it's bad practice to accuse your buddy of being scum.

Basically, Grim accused Crand of doing something in his scum QT with Raven. That implies the two of them are scum. He also said that Crand's reason for RVSing Raven seemed unnatural. I see that as meaning that it seemed forced, which implies Raven being scum.
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Post by Edosurist »

VC 1.2

Grimgroove
(1): Crandaja
LnGrrrR
(1): Candillan
Candillan
(1): LnGrrrR
Crandaja
(2): Syryana, Ravenpaw
Syryana
(1): homertve
Not voting
: shaboostein, RachMarie, Grimgroove

Day 1 ends in
(expired on 2013-06-04 22:43:00)
The name's Edosurist. People call me Edos.
I'm back from hiatus (again), so please don't make me leave again (x4) by calling me
Edo
Edoist
(pronounced E-do-ist or e-DOIST? I'm not quite certain), or
Endoperson

Wiki (will eventually get updated) | Looking for a reviewer for a 24-themed (slightly) bastard mini.
LnGrrrR
LnGrrrR
Goon
LnGrrrR
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Post by LnGrrrR »

Candy, your post 8 can certainly be interpreted as "Oh no, not another RVS vote". (The "sigh this already" implying/referring to an RVS wagon.)

Thanks for the Ravenscum clarification.
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Post by Candillan »

I was referring to the rivalry-ish thing between Syryana and me. :P
LnGrrrR
LnGrrrR
Goon
LnGrrrR
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 2:28 pm

Post by LnGrrrR »

Ok, I misinterpreted that statement then. Mea culpa.
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Post by Candillan »

'tis fine.
UNVOTE:
Crandaja
Crandaja
Townie
Crandaja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Post by Crandaja »

So what happens now gents (and ladies of course).
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Post by Candillan »

Sigh
I don't know
I guess we wait for someone to scumslip et al.

Random Question Time!
1. What do you guys prefer to play as? Scum or Town?
2. You're cop with a guilty. Do you claim immediately, or wait it out?
3. Do you tend to play aggressively, or more passively?
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 74, LnGrrrR wrote:I think Grimgroove's point about starting off the other game on an equally silly charge (the color thing) has merit.

Syryana makes a good point above about Crandaja's defensiveness.

Homer, are you planning on reading the other game?

I think Candillans meta is to start every game with a scummy statement. I don't like the "Oh no not a wagon again on me for a scummy RVS", because it tends to disarm thoughts of actual scumminess. Additionally, in ISO he looks fishy: he votes Crand, then unvotes three posts later because he doesn't always want to be the third vote on a wagon. Seems very self conscious about his votes, and if he thought it was good to put pressure on Crand, why take it off? If he is worried about L-2, he could just ask for no claims at this time.

Also, Candillan hasn't scumhunted at all. Just look at his ISO, no challenges, a /barn here or there...

VOTE: Candillan
In post 82, Ravenpaw wrote:
In post 80, Grimgroove wrote:I revise my opinion on LnGrrrR after his last post.

UNVOTE:
What made you change your opinion?
The quote above made me change my opinion. The main reason why I thought LnGrrrR was fishy (as I pointed out) was because he seemed a lot less involved: a silly RVS-vote after the RVS-stage, and a promise to read through everything (two or three pages I think at the time), but taking ages to do so.
This quote and his case against Candillan reminds me of the townie LnGrrrR we all know from "Title Pending" more.
And I'm liking his case on Candillan. I don't think it's that bad. Will IC Candillan myself later today, but at first sight I agree with LnGrrrr's arguments completely.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 107, Candillan wrote:Sigh
I don't know
I guess we wait for someone to scumslip et al.

Random Question Time!
1. What do you guys prefer to play as? Scum or Town?
2. You're cop with a guilty. Do you claim immediately, or wait it out?
3. Do you tend to play aggressively, or more passively?
After Syryana's advice in the last game, I don't think it's a good idea to answer any of those questions. Doesn't that lead us into WIFOM automatically?
Also, you were the one saying meta-arguments are bullshit. All these questions are asking about meta. What's the added value of these questions according to you?
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Post by Candillan »

Nothing, really. It's to get discussion going, but I couldn't think of better questions. :/
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 81, Ravenpaw wrote:
In post 79, Grimgroove wrote:
In post 78, Ravenpaw wrote:Grimgroove is a bit iffy to me. (...) but the fact he said he checked the old game but was proven that he didn't really does seem a wee bit suspect to me.
You make it sound as if I didn't check the old game. Why?
Because apparently you only looked at my last few posts (which would've been post-game comments, not actual game play).

Also, this is why I feel so iffy about it:
In post 26, Grimgroove wrote:I can't see this anywhere, neither here or in the "title pending"-game.
That above sentence is troubling me because of the word "anywhere". You implied doing a thorough search when you said that, but your later story of only looking at my last few posts doesn't correlate with that.
It's a fair argument, but when it comes to that "case" I feel I've already told you everything I could tell you about it in post . I didn't mean to make said implication, but understand why it would come off that way. But let's say I did mean to imply it. What reasonable tactic do you see behind it that is scummy? And by reasonable I mean: a tactic that has even the slightest chance of succeeding?
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 2:46 am

Post by Grimgroove »

So I IC'd Candillan for today, the most active player in ammount of posts, so he gives you most to work with. Only thing I'll be able to do before the weekend I'm afraid. All in all I'd have to agree with LnGrrrR's case against him. Maybe not in LnGrrrR's first post, which was mainly a good thing because it showed more involvement from LnGrrrR again, but in the discussion following it he raised some good points. What I mainly don't like is that Candillan refuses any meta-arguments to be used again him, but in a devious way tries to use that meta to his advantage several times (which I'll try to show here). Claiming you consciously play differently every game so that your meta is useless is actually a meta-argument in itself. MAybe I should clarify further, but I think claiming you have "no meta", is making a statement about your meta and trying to use it as an argument in your advantage. I find it worrysome that Candillan is so involved with his meta, definitely for someone who claims to not have one.
In post 29, Candillan wrote:I agree that it's kinda odd that he would bring that up of all things, but that's the only time, if I recall correctly, that Raven ever adressed Crand.

I do agree with Syryana that your vote on him did seem fairly opportunistic, though.

Also, that's not jumping to his defense, that's simply stating a fact. There's a difference. ;)
What is the "if I recall correctly"-bit supposed to mean? How would you recall something like that? Granted, there wasn't much activity going on in "Title Pending", but to assume you remember all people's interactions seems strange, and pretending to do so seems unnaturally thoughtful.
In post 24, Candillan wrote:Alright, that's fine then.
Could you give me an example of when re-RVSing would not be fine?
In post 57, Candillan wrote:The Great Shaboostein...
That has a nice ring to it.

I'd give you more slack if you hadn't posted in the QT rather than here. >_>
How have you not gave Shaboostein a lot of slack? all you did was call his name a couple of times. Careful bussing?
In post 85, Candillan wrote: Bahahahahahahano
The truth is that I have an aura of scumminess around me that makes me an easy wagon for scum to hop on and town to follow.
Meanwhile, you're commenting on my meta when I told you that I hate meta arguments. You're speaking in hypotheticals as to what I'd do, and I don't like that.

For the record, I am assembling reads. I currently read you and Crand as scummy.

Your push on me based on a meta argument doesn't make sense. Also, that isn't my scum meta, if you were to look at the last game. I don't like your case, and it seems as if you're pushing on me to make yourself seem active.

I'm not so vote-happy because then it gives my votes less impact when they're actually laid down. I'm not afraid of putting someone to L-2 or whatever, that was purely coincidence.

All in all, this case is bad, and you should feel bad.

VOTE: LnGrrrR
Other posts coming in a minute.
Surprised nobody called him out on this before, but isn't this the most blatant OMGUS in the game(s) so far? LnGrrrR had never even been mentioned by Candillan before this, and now he's suddenly on his scum-reads, based on LngRrrR using meta for a case. Coming out of a game with all of us in it that got cancelled, I think it's only natural to do so. Syryana did the same with me, I did the same with LnGrrrR. Yet Syryana is Candillan's town read.

In post 93, Candillan wrote: 'twas a joke.
Urgh. I like a good laugh, but people blaming having said weird things on "joking" are always scummy in my book.

Crand took my vote seriously because I wasn't known to do that often, and therefore likely assumed it was a serious vote. (which is was, but not because it was an actual scum accusation. It was for pressure. I saw a good opportunity, and I took it.)
"I wasn't known to do that often" = meta-argument. And to be perfectly honest, I never associated you with someone who doesn't like voting or changing votes all the time. Anyway, I don't like the argument in the quote above, hard to put my finger on it but the logical conclusion that Crandaja took your vote seriously (did he?) because of your meta (did he?) doesn't really add up. And even if it does, it goes to show that meta IS useful and you are willing to use it in your gaming strategy.
Because I don't see Raven as scummy? Also, it's bad practice to accuse your buddy of being scum.
Could you clarify the second part of that statement? Who would be the buddy and who would be doing the accusing in this case?
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 2:48 am

Post by Grimgroove »

Awaiting Candillan's reply, in the meanwhile

VOTE: shaboostein

A push for activity, got no read on him. Same for RachMarie.
Syryana
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Always Andy
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 3:37 am

Post by Syryana »

I want votes/reads from Rach and shaboo.

I'm still pretty happy with my Crand vote, though.

Cand case is interesting, we'll have to see where it goes.
In the timeless words of a great and revered man: "Blow it out your ass."
A hydra of Rift Adrift, Oil Tycoons and Trust Fund. "In the Oil Rift we Trust."
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 am

Post by Grimgroove »

As per usual:
@Mod: V/LA until Sunday evening
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 am

Post by Candillan »

Phonepost because I'm still in class but
I tell you all that I don't like meta cases because of people like me. I manipulate my meta in order to baffle and confuse people. That in of itself does not weigh on my alignment. I am town though. It's a play style choice, not a tell.

I'm not bussing Shaboo, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for reminding me, though, I forgot to vote him for not posting.
VOTE: Shaboostein
More later.
Edosurist
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Edosurist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 10:36 am

Post by Edosurist »

VC 1.3

Grimgroove
(1): Crandaja
Candillan
(1): LnGrrrR
Crandaja
(2): Syryana, Ravenpaw
shaboostein
(2): Grimgroove, Candillan
Syryana
(1): homertve
Not voting
: shaboostein, RachMarie

Grimgroove is V/LA until Sunday evening.
So am I, but Bitmap should be here in case something arises.

Day 1 ends in
(expired on 2013-06-04 22:43:00)
The name's Edosurist. People call me Edos.
I'm back from hiatus (again), so please don't make me leave again (x4) by calling me
Edo
Edoist
(pronounced E-do-ist or e-DOIST? I'm not quite certain), or
Endoperson

Wiki (will eventually get updated) | Looking for a reviewer for a 24-themed (slightly) bastard mini.
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Post by Candillan »

In post 112, Grimgroove wrote:So I IC'd Candillan for today, the most active player in ammount of posts, so he gives you most to work with. Only thing I'll be able to do before the weekend I'm afraid. All in all I'd have to agree with LnGrrrR's case against him. Maybe not in LnGrrrR's first post, which was mainly a good thing because it showed more involvement from LnGrrrR again, but in the discussion following it he raised some good points. What I mainly don't like is that Candillan refuses any meta-arguments to be used again him, but in a devious way tries to use that meta to his advantage several times (which I'll try to show here). Claiming you consciously play differently every game so that your meta is useless is actually a meta-argument in itself. MAybe I should clarify further, but I think claiming you have "no meta", is making a statement about your meta and trying to use it as an argument in your advantage. I find it worrysome that Candillan is so involved with his meta, definitely for someone who claims to not have one.
I adressed this in my previous post. My meta is anti-meta, as I am consciously playing differently every game. Relying on meta won't be helpful, and I won't take it seriously. I used myself as an example, but I believe that meta arguments in general are total garbage.
In post 29, Candillan wrote:I agree that it's kinda odd that he would bring that up of all things, but that's the only time, if I recall correctly, that Raven ever adressed Crand.

I do agree with Syryana that your vote on him did seem fairly opportunistic, though.

Also, that's not jumping to his defense, that's simply stating a fact. There's a difference. ;)
What is the "if I recall correctly"-bit supposed to mean? How would you recall something like that? Granted, there wasn't much activity going on in "Title Pending", but to assume you remember all people's interactions seems strange, and pretending to do so seems unnaturally thoughtful.
...What? I don't recall those two ever talking to each other. I didn't say I remember all people's interactions, and I wouldn't say so. I just don't recall them ever interacting aside from that one post.
In post 24, Candillan wrote:Alright, that's fine then.
Could you give me an example of when re-RVSing would not be fine?
Nope, I can't think of any.
In post 57, Candillan wrote:The Great Shaboostein...
That has a nice ring to it.

I'd give you more slack if you hadn't posted in the QT rather than here. >_>
How have you not gave Shaboostein a lot of slack? all you did was call his name a couple of times. Careful bussing?
I also adressed this in my last post. It isn't bussing, it's giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not gonna go super-offensive on him when he says that he's gonna post. I'm giving him air to breathe. It's a friendly game, either way. Why am I not allowed to be friendly with other players?
I called his name the last time to point out the fact that he //still// hadn't posted. He said he was going to do so later that day, and I think it's been two days later.
In post 85, Candillan wrote: Bahahahahahahano
The truth is that I have an aura of scumminess around me that makes me an easy wagon for scum to hop on and town to follow.
Meanwhile, you're commenting on my meta when I told you that I hate meta arguments. You're speaking in hypotheticals as to what I'd do, and I don't like that.

For the record, I am assembling reads. I currently read you and Crand as scummy.

Your push on me based on a meta argument doesn't make sense. Also, that isn't my scum meta, if you were to look at the last game. I don't like your case, and it seems as if you're pushing on me to make yourself seem active.

I'm not so vote-happy because then it gives my votes less impact when they're actually laid down. I'm not afraid of putting someone to L-2 or whatever, that was purely coincidence.

All in all, this case is bad, and you should feel bad.

VOTE: LnGrrrR
Other posts coming in a minute.
Surprised nobody called him out on this before, but isn't this the most blatant OMGUS in the game(s) so far? LnGrrrR had never even been mentioned by Candillan before this, and now he's suddenly on his scum-reads, based on LngRrrR using meta for a case. Coming out of a game with all of us in it that got cancelled, I think it's only natural to do so. Syryana did the same with me, I did the same with LnGrrrR. Yet Syryana is Candillan's town read.
Yeah, it's OMGUS. Sue me. My posting was for pressure, as everything else I've been doing has been. Reaction testing is a powerful thing, Grim. It helps you assemble reads.
I am seriously trying to gather reads, but I've been terrible at it this time around. I do seriously see Homer and Syryana as townie, though. I was leaning town on you, but your jumping on this case is making me doubt that somewhat. It seems a wee bit too convenient.
Also, if you really saw this as being so scummy, why aren't you voting me?
In post 93, Candillan wrote: 'twas a joke.
Urgh. I like a good laugh, but people blaming having said weird things on "joking" are always scummy in my book.
Okay.
"I wasn't known to do that often" = meta-argument. And to be perfectly honest, I never associated you with someone who doesn't like voting or changing votes all the time. Anyway, I don't like the argument in the quote above, hard to put my finger on it but the logical conclusion that Crandaja took your vote seriously (did he?) because of your meta (did he?) doesn't really add up. And even if it does, it goes to show that meta IS useful and you are willing to use it in your gaming strategy.
Yes, it is useful for me to use, not for you all. By you all using my meta to ascertain my alignment in this game, I am able to use that examination to make you all think certain things of me when I really am pulling the wool over your eyes.
I assumed Crand took my vote seriously. It could be otherwise. I don't exactly know, and most likely won't ever know for sure.
Meta is a natural tell for people. If all of a sudden someone you know started acting differently, you'd notice. It wouldn't be because you researched their behavioral patterns consciously, but because it was subconscious. You all have an established meta on me, and by me defying that meta I am putting myself at an advantage. This allows me to pull off gambits and reaction tests more efficiently.
I think that's enough droning on about my beliefs on meta, so moving on...
Could you clarify the second part of that statement? Who would be the buddy and who would be doing the accusing in this case?
I'm buddying Raven. Not scumbuddies, but shameless sheeping and things of the like. LnGrrrR asked me why /I/ wasn't putting pressure on Raven, and I'm assuming he wanted me to put pressure on her. (Meanwhile, may I note how he didn't pressure her at all after I said that I wouldn't? It seems like he doesn't believe the associative tell on Crand/Raven, otherwise he would be pushing on them rather than a meta argument on me.)

tl;dr meta is dumb and I'm using mine to experiment on you all.
(Man, half of this post belongs in the Mafia Discussion Forum.)
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Post by Candillan »

Oh, I'm not saying that I don't have a meta. I'm saying that my meta isn't reliable to discern my alignment at the current moment.
Crandaja
Crandaja
Townie
Crandaja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Post by Crandaja »

Just to let you know, I've taken every vote you have given seriously except the original Grim vote.
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Post by Candillan »

Gotcha.
They were serious votes, but not for scum accusations. They were for pressure and reaction testing.
Yeah, I know I'm sorta letting the cat out of the bag, but I had to do so to adress LnGrrrR's points and the ones that followed.
RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Post by RachMarie »

Sorry been really swamped

first of all is Shaboo even in this game I think he posted like one post and I think we need to rattle that cage....

VOTE: Shaboo

L-2 please do not pile on more votes atm til he responds... thanks
BRAND NEW Get to know me http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=69243
Like the phoenix I am rising from the ashes
chilledtea: We played bad on day 2 when we lynched rach.

YT Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0psF_ ... Jpw/videos
Candillan
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Candillan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Post by Candillan »

Hey Rach, what do you think about the case on me?
What do you think of others?
RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Post by RachMarie »

meta works better when you have played a few games....

Like I could see doing meta on Syr or me for example.
BRAND NEW Get to know me http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=69243
Like the phoenix I am rising from the ashes
chilledtea: We played bad on day 2 when we lynched rach.

YT Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0psF_ ... Jpw/videos

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”