The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #13350 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 13349, Klazam wrote:I support restarting vanilla
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13351 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by Rob14 »

I do not, unless there is a rise of activity in it AND it waits until after FTB relaunches by at least a month.

1) Rise of activity - Without a rise of activity, I fear that a restart to vanilla will just end in an empty world sitting there going unused. We need at least SOME people to have interest in playing in Vanilla before bothering to restart it to ensure a spawn area is created and some sort of a town develops.

2) Not concurrent with FTB - Right now, people obviously prefer FTB to Vanilla. If they both restart simultaneously, FTB will get the majority of the activity, especially considering that it has new mods and so is practically a new game entirely. If most (or even all) people focus on FTB due to this, then it's likely Vanilla will never see a bump in activity from a restart. I doubt people will stay on FTB for 1 month restarting and investing in that server, then decide to give Vanilla some of their time when the majority of the community is over on FTB and the Vanilla restart isn't recent anymore.
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #13352 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Post by blake5135 »

I don't know if my opinion even matters when it comes to the vanilla server. Even though I did play a lot, and build some stuff their.. But I have mixed feelings about this. I'm scared if we do a reset it'll set there unused as people will prefer the FTB server. BUT.. It's a lot of stuff there.. It would be nice to see it all rebuilt better, and to make a rail system connecting this place and that place..

I just have mixed feelings about it. I'm undecided.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #13353 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Post by Tierce »

I'm used to Voltz, so I look at the mods for the FTB server and go :eek:. Wouldn't even know where to start. Would definitely join the vanilla server if it were rebooted, but it feels odd to poke at a server already established and mostly disused.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #13354 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Post by Klazam »

I changed my mind.

no vanilla restart.

so many awesome stuff on it.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #13355 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Post by Maestro »

BUT GUYS, TIERCE

Tierce, I will tutor you in FTB magics if you want in?!
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #13356 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Post by Andrius »

You know, I'd also be down with restarting vanilla.
Because that's all I want to do- go back to the beginning with people and start from stratch again.
Invade some NPC town, trap villagers under the road, go down into mineshafts, etc.

Maybe its because I've been watching too many RoosterTeeth let's plays, but I just want to play this game with people again.

I know we'd be losing a lot, but.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #13357 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 13355, Maestro wrote:BUT GUYS, TIERCE

Tierce, I will tutor you in FTB magics if you want in?!
I'm fairly sure I could learn through Youtube tutorials, but it's mostly that if I want to play a highly developed world, I already have a Voltz server with a group of friends. (Particle accelerators! Fission reactors! Giant chicken made of wool--wait, that one doesn't count.) I'm still learning all the details of machinery and don't need something else to get confused by. Thanks for the offer, in any case!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13358 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Post by Maestro »

RESTART - Rhinox, Andy, Maru, Tierce
NO RESTART - Rob13, Klazam

UNDECIDED - Blake

Sorry, no I won't create a poll for this. Mainly because a poll can include people who just brush by the thread and say "lol a poll, ok I'll do it" but also mainly because this is a community and a community doesn't need anonymous votes for something like this. I have no opinion, I just want to know what the majority thinks should happen at this point - not even saying it'll go down if we get some kind of majority.

but know this:

1) world files will be saved until the end of time, I'd be against public distribution mainly because I'm hoping we can implement the files for some kind of recurring event...though if people rage at me about not having their favorite build in an outdated Vanilla world I'll probably cave and put up a dl link
2) we'll be getting all KINDS of new crap in 1.6 (HORSES ANYBODAY?!) so if some decision is reached it can wait till then, in the meantime Bukkit will be going up as soon as MafiaCraft shenanigans are completed and running smoothly
3) sorry if this offends anybody, but RE - community and shiz I kinda feel like I have to look at the opinions of older members as something of particular consideration, also I'm gonna ask (specifically) Claus and jmj and some of the other old-timers to weigh in on this if they'd be willing
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13359 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 13351, Rob14 wrote:I do not, unless there is a rise of activity in it AND it waits until after FTB relaunches by at least a month.
I should have brought this up when I first thought about it, which was when it was first announced an FTB restart would be happening which would mean we'd have already had a month in vanilla by now before FTB restart. But even now, if a vanilla restart hypothetically happened today we'd still have almost a week to get started on vanilla before the FTB reboot and maybe more if FTB reboot doesn't go exactly to plan.
In post 13351, Rob14 wrote:1) Rise of activity - Without a rise of activity, I fear that a restart to vanilla will just end in an empty world sitting there going unused. We need at least SOME people to have interest in playing in Vanilla before bothering to restart it to ensure a spawn area is created and some sort of a town develops.
As long as the FTB server exists, low activity is always going to be an issue on the vanilla server. Right now, the server is basically a ghost town. Its going unused now. Doesn't matter if its an empty world or an abandoned world, if its going unused then either it needs fixed or we might as well not have it at all IMO. And I'd rather fix it than nix it (lolrhyme).

As it sits now, I can't even play on the server. I'm currently on my mushroom island where I was trying to make rhinoland. I relied on /home and /back to get back and forth between my home and my island. When server migration and upgrade stuff happened, the commands were turned off, and homes were reset anyways. So if I want to get back to my spawn, I have to hop in a boat and travel thousands of blocks but I don't know which way to go because I relied on dynmap and we don't have that. If I find spawn, I still have to take the long way to skytown because of the nether reset, and I don't know the way without dynmap. Even if I figure all that out, now I have a choice to make. Where to start over? Rhinoland would be abandoned, I could resettle near spawn or skytown, but... everyone else who
was
active started settling way out in vineland, an impossible journey to make without /tp, /warp, etc. So I can settle somewhere and play but I'd be isolated, no one to come visit me, and no one to go visit. At that point I'm playing SSP on a server which is still a ghost town besides me.

Of course all that can be remedied possibly with OP help but then what is the point of calling it vanilla? The point of the vanilla server should be to provide a 100% vanilla experience, and there shouldn't be much argument on that point now that the FTB server exists. But the server was created with a focus on commands such as /warp and /tp, and simply turning them off breaks the world. It'd be like if we kept the same FTB world, but just turned off IC/TC/etc... it would be broken. Things wouldn't work. It'd be more work to fix everything than to just start over. That is what the vanilla server is now. Broken as a vanilla server in its current state.

As for a userbase, I'm 1 user who would return to vanilla in addition to FTB if it was reset. Others have expressed interest in playing vanilla again if the world was reset as well. I was the last in the vanilla server before finally moving primarily to FTB.
In post 13351, Rob14 wrote:2) Not concurrent with FTB - Right now, people obviously prefer FTB to Vanilla. If they both restart simultaneously, FTB will get the majority of the activity, especially considering that it has new mods and so is practically a new game entirely. If most (or even all) people focus on FTB due to this, then it's likely Vanilla will never see a bump in activity from a restart. I doubt people will stay on FTB for 1 month restarting and investing in that server, then decide to give Vanilla some of their time when the majority of the community is over on FTB and the Vanilla restart isn't recent anymore.
I thought this too at first. Maybe its a valid point, but it just seems like vanilla is never going to be the primary server for anyone as long as FTB exists, whether now nor in the future. It might see a slight bump if people are bored with FTB, but the FTB server formed to begin with because people were bored with vanilla.
In post 13352, blake5135 wrote:I don't know if my opinion even matters when it comes to the vanilla server. Even though I did play a lot, and build some stuff their.. But I have mixed feelings about this. I'm scared if we do a reset it'll set there unused as people will prefer the FTB server. BUT.. It's a lot of stuff there.. It would be nice to see it all rebuilt better, and to make a rail system connecting this place and that place..

I just have mixed feelings about it. I'm undecided.
In post 13354, Klazam wrote:I changed my mind.

no vanilla restart.

so many awesome stuff on it.

Yes your opinion matters blake. Yes, there is a chance it will sit there unused, but it is sitting there unused now. Keeping it around as a museum is just a waste of dedicated RAM and HD space. If its reboot, it might not be used as much as FTB, but IMO it will be used more than it is now. Yeah there is some cool stuff there, but how can anyone see any of it? I saw fishy's underground temple when it was still a WIP and it was awesome, but if I logged on the server right now, I could not find it. I wouldn't even know which direction to start in. I can't get to vineland and see whatever is built out there. I can't even get back to spawntown or skytown where my houses are. Nothing on that server right now, no matter how cool it is, will never be seen by anyone other than if someone decides to post some pics. Thats the problem with starting a server with warps and tps and whatnot, you can't just turn those things off without breaking the server.

We had a cool server before this one too. We had lots of cool stuff. And we had a central area with signs with coords to all the places, and we had roads and rails connecting many places. The server was cool AND accessible. But no one on this server bothered to do any of that because we could just /warp to places, or /tp to other users when they were on. Take those commands away, and broken. Our vanilla server is very unaccessible now. Losing cool things sucks sure. It sucked when we lost our previous server due to the asshole hosts deleting it. But all the cool things on our server might as well be lost if they're not accessible to the community. We can reboot the server, build new cool things in a more accessible way, and it would be so much better. OR... give everyone who wants a copy of the world files and shut it down to focus resources on one server, the FTB server. Because the vanilla server as it sits now, is never going to be as cool as a proper 100% vanilla no player commands server could be. And as Tierce is pointing out, anyone who might want to join in and play for the first time isn't going to able to experience 90% of the stuff on the vanilla server outside of maybe spawntown, if they even have any interest in joining at all.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13360 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Post by Maestro »

yeeeeeaaaaah there's no WAY after that lovely speech that myself (or Klaz, I hope) would ever think about endorsing the use of /tp /home etc. on either server
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13361 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Post by Klazam »

I'm already against it.

And Rhino's speech.

Im on the other side now. Go restart.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #13362 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Post by T-Bone »

I agree with Rob.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13363 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 13358, Maestro wrote:RESTART - Rhinox, Andy, Maru, Tierce, Klazam
NO RESTART - Rob13, T-Bone

UNDECIDED - Blake
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13364 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Bah Rhinox. I conditionally agree on restart if it is at least a month removed from FTB restart. I hadn't considered the issue with lost /tp and /home.

Also, I support the use of /tp and /home. This isn't an issue of "a vanilla experience." This is an issue of usability. Every modern server has these features - it's a basic function needed in a world where people have to go long distances to find the type of land they want to build on. I like to find islands and live on them, personally, but it requires an easy way to get back to the mainland in order to get materials and see the cool stuff other people have built. That's not possible without basic features to get from point A to point B at a relatively decent pace.

I am against, on the other hand, /warp except for MAYBE getting to the end if there's an end farm. You should have to /tp to someone if you want to visit. It encourages interactions and community. /warp'ing somewhere is stupid - use the Nether if you want to go to a regularly traveled place.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13365 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 13364, Rob14 wrote:basic features to get from point A to point B at a relatively decent pace
these are called railways and walking and Nether Portal highways

also, I'm definitely against any /warp except MAYBE /spawn

EDIT: "any /warp" - including any End Farm we may or may not have on either server in the future
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13366 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Post by Klazam »

Against EVERY teleportation command of any kind, personally.

Also long distance? RAILS!
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13367 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Question: How do I get from 1000,1000 to spawn using railways, walking, or the nether portal highway if I find a cool island/biome/village/etc. at 1000,1000.

Answer:
I never visit spawn, get bored because I'm not playing with other people off on my little island, and stop using the Vanilla server.

Obviously, this does not apply to FTB. FTB should have no /tp, /warp, or /home because there are mods in place to fulfill that purpose.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13368 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Post by Klazam »

NETHER RAILS

M and i have done this for LONGER distances.

1000 1000 is like a uh 150 block walk in nether.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13369 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 13367, Rob14 wrote:Obviously, this does not apply to FTB. FTB should have no /tp, /warp, or /home because there are mods in place to fulfill that purpose.
What about right now, when this statement is actually completely false?
Do you suggest we use tp's and shiz to get around?

(P.S. I'm playing Devil's Advocate for once, Rob...c'mon nao) :wink:
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13370 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 13368, Klazam wrote:NETHER RAILS

M and i have done this for LONGER distances.

1000 1000 is like a uh 150 block walk in nether.
yup, we literally made a 1200 block NETHER RAILWAY

(e.g. 9000+ block trip in the OW)
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13371 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Post by Maestro »

we found that new continent to the south, took over two villages and a Desert Temple, and proclaimed ourselves Nether Gods in the same trip, IIRC :lol:
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13372 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Post by Klazam »

amen to that. Oboy was fun as hell.

OH RIGHT. I also built ourathanos. or was that before?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13373 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Post by Maestro »

after, because it was on the way and you built it where we had our temporary little Obsidian Farm
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13374 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Post by Klazam »

Oh, yeah. i recall now