[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #5825 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 am

Post by chkflip »

woo woo I named a game I'm speshul.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Kitoari
Kitoari
Goon
Kitoari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5826 (ISO) » Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Post by Kitoari »

Prisoner's Dilemma

1 SK Neighbor
1 Mafia Neighbor

X amount of townies
Interested in doing a Dept. Heaven Large Theme. If you're interested in ironing it out, drop me a line.
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5827 (ISO) » Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Post by Ineffective »

Idgi.... Usually neighbors arnt alignment specific?

Are the sk and mafia garunteed to be in a neighborhood together with nobody else?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #5828 (ISO) » Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

That's what I'd guess from everybody else being Townies, yes.
Retired as of October 2014.
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5829 (ISO) » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Post by Ineffective »

So you have a compulsive nk and an optional nk and im assuming you are allowing a joint win for last 2.

X amount should be 9 or 10 imo. Assuming mislynches are blown sequentially 9 would give 2 ml and town can earn more by lynching a scum d1 or 2

With 10 vts same deal except town and scum can play with the lynch tempo
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5830 (ISO) » Thu May 02, 2013 10:07 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5687, Ineffective wrote:1 cult recruiter

1 diviner (knows cult recruiter and all cult members as soon as they are culted. Counts toward cult:town ratio as cult.
Wins in place of cult if not culted/lynchedbefore cult win
)

1 cleric (if targeting the same person as cult recruiter, target dies as town. Cannot be culted.)
1 martyr (can kill himself day or night to reveal the role of another player)
7 town vanilla

Cult not only have to shield their leader, but in a twist of gameplay, they actually have to scumhunt the oposition, the deviner

Game related pms allowed regardless of current alignment. Said pms may be referenced in game (eg. Unclaimed cleric gets a pm from cult attempting to co-opt him --- cleric cannot be culted and outs the pm) .

if cult recruiter is lynched: cult may no longer recruit, but remain alive to try to win by lynching. in night actions martyrs self kill comes first, so if he is culted. On the same night he dies as town
I wanna play this... Only time its been played i was the game mod ;-;

callllling all adventurous mods!!!
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #5831 (ISO) » Thu May 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Sounds interesting. PM me the setup so I can look at it later, I may run it in the near future; if so, I'll PM you to /in for it.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5832 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 5829, Ineffective wrote:So you have a compulsive nk and an optional nk and im assuming you are allowing a joint win for last 2.

X amount should be 9 or 10 imo. Assuming mislynches are blown sequentially 9 would give 2 ml and town can earn more by lynching a scum d1 or 2

SK kills mafia N1. Best move, so mafia is forced to basically play lyncher to SK D1. Only way to counter this is a mass "If I am mafia X is SK" massclaim D1, that fails long run too.

Also if SK or mafia are going to get lynched whats to stop them from just giving up the other player?
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5833 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 5830, Ineffective wrote:

1 diviner (knows cult recruiter and all cult members as soon as they are culted. Counts toward cult:town ratio as cult.
)

1 cleric (if targeting the same person as cult recruiter, target dies as town. Cannot be culted.)
7 town vanilla

Cult not only have to shield their leader, but in a twist of gameplay, they actually have to scumhunt the oposition, the deviner

Game related pms allowed regardless of current alignment. Said pms may be referenced in game (eg. Unclaimed cleric gets a pm from cult attempting to co-opt him --- cleric cannot be culted and outs the pm) .

if cult recruiter is lynched: cult may no longer recruit, but remain alive to try to win by lynching. in night actions martyrs self kill comes first, so if he is culted. On the same night he dies as town

Issue with setup

D1 - Cleric claims
D1 - Martyr targets random non-cleric (1/9 hits cult leader)
D1 - Lynch (1/8 hits cult leader)
N1 - Cleric continually targets D1 Martyr target - two confirmed town always alive

So im not sure how this works well when almost 25% of the time town wins D1 without even scumhunting. Problem is town is going to be hard pressed to win any other situation as if cult leader makes it more to D3 town essentially cant win, even if they hit recruiter there its more or less a 3v6 nightless.

It may be a "fun" game but its not fundamentally sound or balanced at all.
Co-host of The USL Show
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5834 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5832, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 5829, Ineffective wrote:So you have a compulsive nk and an optional nk and im assuming you are allowing a joint win for last 2.

SK kills mafia N1. Best move, so mafia is forced to basically play lyncher to SK D1. Only way to counter this is a mass "If I am mafia X is SK" massclaim D1, that fails long run too.

Also if SK or mafia are going to get lynched whats to stop them from just giving up the other player?
Not sure i understand why killing a jointable player would be optimal. I was assuming a joint being accessable with my analysis... Otherwise you are correct - neighboring scum is counterproductive. as for the jointable "Team mates" not outting each other when being lynched.... Its called sportsmanship - if i was a mod and saw anyone outting another faction when they are in autoloss for the sake of doing it with no possible benifit to themselves i wouldnt allow them to join future games.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5835 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 5834, Ineffective wrote:

Not sure i understand why killing a jointable player would be optimal. I was assuming a joint being accessable with my analysis... Otherwise you are correct - neighboring scum is counterproductive. as for the jointable "Team mates" not outting each other when being lynched.... Its called sportsmanship - if i was a mod and saw anyone outting another faction when they are in autoloss for the sake of doing it with no possible benifit to themselves i wouldnt allow them to join future games.
Its basically this:

Mafia cannot win (and will lose) if the SK doesn't get lynched D1. To stop this from happening, there needs to be a "if I am scum X is partner" claim to stop the SK from killing mafia upon them being lynched next.

If you are going to say 10 town... you can probably assume no more than 8 players get claimed as a partner here, and mafia cant lie or they get NKed the first night. So you are going to have quite a few clear off the bat.

Also if your faction is in a force loss situation... why not help town as scum? You aren't going to be playing against your win condition at that point or anything. At times you are in a spot that you cant win but you do have sway over the way the rest of the game goes. That shouldn't ever come into play though because of chaining which to every faction (except SK) is optimal for D1.

Game is broken badly.
Co-host of The USL Show
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5836 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5833, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 5830, Ineffective wrote:

)

7 town vanilla

Issue with setup

D1 - Cleric claims
D1 - Martyr targets random non-cleric (1/9 hits cult leader)
D1 - Lynch (1/8 hits cult leader)
N1 - Cleric continually targets D1 Martyr target - two confirmed town always alive

So im not sure how this works well when almost 25% of the time town wins D1 without even scumhunting. Problem is town is going to be hard pressed to win any other situation as if cult leader makes it more to D3 town essentially cant win, even if they hit recruiter there its more or less a 3v6 nightless.

It may be a "fun" game but its not fundamentally sound or balanced at all.
I would never use that strat and i doubt anyone with half a brain would either. Martyr is infinantly more valueble late game and cleric claiming prevents cult from the chance of a miscult/outting themselves to the wrong person. It also prevents any possibility of being a step ahead of the cult mentality to prevent cult conversions due to cult knowing the person who can "save" a towny and how he thinks, and the inverse not being the case. Your strat is a day one all in gambit and nothing more.. You are also not factoring in cults opposition, which will lead cult to not culting late game if they havnt culted or lynched it yet.
Last edited by Ineffective on Fri May 03, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5837 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5835, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 5834, Ineffective wrote:

Its basically this:

Mafia cannot win (and will lose) if the SK doesn't get lynched D1. To stop this from happening, there needs to be a "if I am scum X is partner" claim to stop the SK from killing mafia upon them being lynched next.

If you are going to say 10 town... you can probably assume no more than 8 players get claimed as a partner here, and mafia cant lie or they get NKed the first night. So you are going to have quite a few clear off the bat.

Also if your faction is in a force loss situation... why not help town as scum? You aren't going to be playing against your win condition at that point or anything. At times you are in a spot that you cant win but you do have sway over the way the rest of the game goes. That shouldn't ever come into play though because of chaining which to every faction (except SK) is optimal for D1.

Game is broken badly.
you just responded to my post with a reworded version of your origional post with no mention as to anything i said or response to it... If mafia can nk and killer can joint there will always be a way for mafia to win... If not i have already acknowledged your point
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5838 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Post by Ineffective »

By nk in that last post i meant. No-kill not night-kill. Offsite terminology 8/
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5839 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 5836, Ineffective wrote:I would never use that strat and i doubt anyone with half a brain would either. Martyr is infinantly more valueble late game and cleric claiming prevents cult from the chance of a miscult/outting themselves to the wrong person.
Martyr is like a day vig, yes they are more powerful late but they can be taken out before that point. If the martyr gets recruited its all over right there.
It also prevents any possibility of being a step ahead of the cult mentality to prevent cult conversions due to cult knowing the person who can "save" a towny and how he thinks, and the inverse not being the case.
If martyr uses his action the correct play is to always be on that player as cleric because it confirms them as town and makes them remain town.
Your strat is a day one all in gambit and nothing more.. You are also not factoring in cults opposition, which will lead cult to not culting late game if they havnt culted or lynched it yet.
That doesn't help the fact that lets say recruiter makes D3. You now essentially have lets say 10 alive where only 6 are town aligned. Even if scum stops recruiting its going to be tough for town to actually win the game given the absurd level of accuracy they will need, even taking the semi-scum player into account. The longer it takes for the CL to die, the harder the game will be for town to win. D2 is the absolute latest martyr should act and even then you are basically taking a "if they get recruited N1 scum win" gambit into effect.
Co-host of The USL Show
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5840 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Post by Ineffective »

You make some reasonable points... I rather disagree with the late game assesment tho. The one game that was played was won late game by town. Having a perma-clear and gaining a mislynch every time you lynch scum post-recruit helps town alot. also in said game, martyr had a feeling he would be culted and went his seperate way at night - he was right... Preventing a cult and revealing a vanilla--- who the cult assumed would be protected by cleric and did not target which resulted in another miscult as cleric was on the alternate target.. There are many levels of psychology and wifom to take into effect.

Majiffy is looking into balance - might could use more VT's
Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5841 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 am

Post by Leafsnail »

An unkillable confirmed townie just strikes me as something you really shouldn't have in a game. Making him convertible would solve the issue.
Antagon
Antagon
Goon
Antagon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5842 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 am

Post by Antagon »

In post 5644, Antagon wrote:
The NEW Twin Trap

1x Mafia Roleblocker
1x Mafia 1-Shot Ninja
3x Compulsive Fruit Vendors (Fruit does nothing)
2x Ascetic Townies
1x Tracker
1x Watcher
If the watcher targets an ascetic townie, the watcher always receives "No Result."
If the tracker targets a player who proceeds to target an ascetic townie, the tracker always receives "No Result."
Bumping my own post.
And
The New Twin Trap v2

1x Mafia Goon
1x Mafia 1-Shot Ninja
1x Mafia Roleblocker
3x Mandatory Fruit Vendors
2x Ascetic Townies
3x Vanilla Townies
1x Watcher
1x Tracker
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5843 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 10:33 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 5842, Antagon wrote:
In post 5644, Antagon wrote:
The NEW Twin Trap

1x Mafia Roleblocker
1x Mafia 1-Shot Ninja
3x Compulsive Fruit Vendors (Fruit does nothing)
2x Ascetic Townies
1x Tracker
1x Watcher
If the watcher targets an ascetic townie, the watcher always receives "No Result."
If the tracker targets a player who proceeds to target an ascetic townie, the tracker always receives "No Result."
Bumping my own post.
And
The New Twin Trap v2

1x Mafia Goon
1x Mafia 1-Shot Ninja
1x Mafia Roleblocker
3x Mandatory Fruit Vendors
2x Ascetic Townies
3x Vanilla Townies
1x Watcher
1x Tracker
D1 massclaim.

Game over.

Too many unique roles with guaranteed presence in the game.
Co-host of The USL Show
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5844 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 am

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5841, Leafsnail wrote:An unkillable confirmed townie just strikes me as something you really shouldn't have in a game. Making him convertible would solve the issue.
With no investigative roles and no mafia to counteract cult, i really dont see it as a problem... It was actually my solution to the first draft being too cultsided and not wanting to create a mechanic dependant setup. The only real issue is that towns sucess late game almost entirely depends on the martyr being competent
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5845 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 5844, Ineffective wrote:
In post 5841, Leafsnail wrote:An unkillable confirmed townie just strikes me as something you really shouldn't have in a game. Making him convertible would solve the issue.
With no investigative roles and no mafia to counteract cult, i really dont see it as a problem... It was actually my solution to the first draft being too cultsided and not wanting to create a mechanic dependant setup. The only real issue is that towns sucess late game almost entirely depends on the martyr being competent
Its still cult-sided with your change, if town doesn't lynch CL by second day they will probably not win.

If you want to force game more to town try and limit the amount of power the CL has somehow. That can be done by either limiting their recruits for the entire game or something like that.

Also if the anti-cult-third party thing can get recruited they have another gamebreak at lylo. Basically lets say you are at CL+recurit+3rdParty+5 town alive.

Any town gets put at L-1 the 3P hammers with claim of 3P, they get recruited and win condition achieved. Which in your game makes that basically a D3 lylo. Where only way town can win is with four of five correct lynches in a row.

There is a reason (apart from most players here hating cults to start) that they are rare; they are amazingly difficult to balance - probably about on par with running a 3 scum faction game.
Co-host of The USL Show
Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5846 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Post by Leafsnail »

The Circus

7 Clowns
1 Mafia Goon

Clowns can either win with the town or by being lynched.

Lynches and nightkills are compulsive. The game ends if it's 1v1 (ie the last surviving clown can't win by being lynched by the mafia).
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5847 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5845, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 5844, Ineffective wrote:
Its still cult-sided with your change, if town doesn't lynch CL by second day they will probably not win.

If you want to force game more to town try and limit the amount of power the CL has somehow. That can be done by either limiting their recruits for the entire game or something like that.

Also if the anti-cult-third party thing can get recruited they have another gamebreak at lylo. Basically lets say you are at CL+recurit+3rdParty+5 town alive.

Any town gets put at L-1 the 3P hammers with claim of 3P, they get recruited and win condition achieved. Which in your game makes that basically a D3 lylo. Where only way town can win is with four of five correct lynches in a row.

There is a reason (apart from most players here hating cults to start) that they are rare; they are amazingly difficult to balance - probably about on par with running a 3 scum faction game.

Ok so - what if culting the third party resulted in nothing? Then that blatent joint win isnt available, and if cult tries to recruit him they know who they NEED to lynch to win...
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5848 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Post by Ineffective »

That with the addition of more VTs should reduce swing.
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5849 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Post by Ineffective »

Well that assesment was slightly off - but mostly true

In that scenario cult would cult the deviner and it would still be 3v4 but town would have the mandate of lynching the leader to win at that point so its still a likely win

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”