Newbie 1339 - Game Over! (Scum Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:02 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 249, Approximately Normal Guy wrote:
In post 248, Varsoon wrote:
Well, if you only have a scum read on one single person and another person steps in and says something you find scummy, replacing a completely inactive player and assuming his role, then you've got your second scum read, don't you?

1+1=2, yes.

It's not town logic to say that voting scum is a good idea?

I know it can be hard to follow more advanced play, but here's a pretty simple breakdown of what happens if we vote for him and he's VT (like he claims):
He's lynched and revealed as VT.
Anyone who built a case against him without sufficient evidence is now under suspicion
Ergo, we have better leads to follow on who is scum.
ANG, I'm going to chalk this slip up to you not following my logic, but it seems like a pretty fucked up thing to imply someone else is scummy when their suggestion is pro-town.
What's the basis?

First of all, you can cut the attitude. I didn't say nor did I imply that voting scum isn't a good idea.

The bold is true
regardless
of what he flips.

You seemed to be not that concerned about the possibility of a mislynch, and more focused on the fact that people on the mislynch would look scummy for it. Whether the people on the lynch look scummy should not depend on the flip. You can look at their votes and the cases they've built now and decide if you think their reasoning is valid.

In a nutshell, my point was that you had no issues supporting the lynch, but your attitude was that if he flipped town then the people voted him would look scummy. You would be one of those people, and not only that, but you would have been hopping on the end of the wagon.

Nutshell-inside-a-nutshell: lynching scum is pro-town, "lynch now, ask questions later" is not.

Okay, bro, chill your jets.
You're taking pretty obtuse methods to turn the phrase on me.
Look it over a few times and stop being so quick to change the issue at hand.
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 am

Post by Approximately Normal Guy »

In post 250, Varsoon wrote:Okay, bro, chill your jets.
You're taking pretty obtuse methods to turn the phrase on me.
Look it over a few times and stop being so quick to change the issue at hand.

I'm not turning the phrase. Your post didn't look like it came from a town mindset, and when I questioned it you got snippy.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 am

Post by Varsoon »

Didn't really find it scummy, but let me try to make it clear to you again.

In a nutshell, my point was that you had no issues supporting the lynch, but your attitude was that if he flipped town then the people voted him would look scummy. You would be one of those people, and not only that, but you would have been hopping on the end of the wagon.

I never supported the lynch with a vote.
I also gave pretty sound reasons why I've always thought Fuzzy was scum and why I still have my suspicions of him.
My attitude was, and still is, that if anyone flips town that the people who started wagons on them are the ones I'd be most suspicious of.
If I do ever participate in a mislynch, feel free to suspect me. Until then, please don't make such big deals out of such small things. It makes you look scummy, especially when a wagon is getting started on someone else who many be scum, as it seems like a defense of an ally.
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 am

In post 252, Varsoon wrote:Didn't really find it scummy, but let me try to make it clear to you again.

I never supported the lynch with a vote.
I also gave pretty sound reasons why I've always thought Fuzzy was scum and why I still have my suspicions of him.
My attitude was, and still is, that if anyone flips town that the people who started wagons on them are the ones I'd be most suspicious of.
If I do ever participate in a mislynch, feel free to suspect me. Until then, please don't make such big deals out of such small things. It makes you look scummy, especially when a wagon is getting started on someone else who many be scum, as it seems like a defense of an ally.

You're making my point for me here.

You never voted him. The heat built up on him. After Nacho unvoted, you said you'd want to vote him, and that the people who started the wagon would look suspicious if he flipped town.

Are you beginning to see where I'm coming from?
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 am

I constantly poke and prod people to get them to flesh out their thought processes. It's how I mainly hunt scum. When something doesn't quite line up with my thinking, I get that person to elaborate on it, and it usually becomes apparently whether their thought process was natural or not. On the other site where I play, I've caught scum before, not for making bad arguments, but for not giving reasoning that properly supports the argument.

Your initial statement stood out as odd to me, so I called attention to it. You reaction was town, just annoying.
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am

Post by kuror0 »

@ANG right now, you think Varsoon is town, or scum?
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 pm

In post 255, kuror0 wrote:@ANG right now, you think Varsoon is town, or scum?

I feel pretty good about him being town.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by Varsoon »

In post 254, Approximately Normal Guy wrote:I constantly poke and prod people to get them to flesh out their thought processes. It's how I mainly hunt scum. When something doesn't quite line up with my thinking, I get that person to elaborate on it, and it usually becomes apparently whether their thought process was natural or not. On the other site where I play, I've caught scum before, not for making bad arguments, but for not giving reasoning that properly supports the argument.

Your initial statement stood out as odd to me, so I called attention to it. You reaction was town, just annoying.

Still pretty new to the game, so bear with me on things like that.

I'll definitely defend any move that I make, though.
As far as not using my vote, I kept it on Yoshi because I still felt he was more scummy than Fuzzy.
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm

I understand. A lot of concepts in mafia aren't intuitive

Can someone sum up the case against yoshi? I'm phone posting for tonight and digging it up would be a chore. I know in my initial reads I was null-scum on him but I don't know what's been presented since then.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Post by Varsoon »

In post 258, Approximately Normal Guy wrote:I understand. A lot of concepts in mafia aren't intuitive

Can someone sum up the case against yoshi? I'm phone posting for tonight and digging it up would be a chore. I know in my initial reads I was null-scum on him but I don't know what's been presented since then.

My case against him is that he
-has used rhetoric that betrayed he wasn't very town and when corrected on it, made explicit with the line 'us townies (Not a huge point)
-was very quick to plead a case for himself within the first few days
-asked people to do something scummy early on
-gave reads immediately when asked to, despite it being so early in the game (anothing point that's fairly null)
-has addressed single other plays if they 'anything scummy you're noticing?', etc.
-just seems far too eager to scum-hunt in general (couples with my above point. This is why I made my initial assesment of 'anxious town' or 'scum')
-falls back on the argument that he was tired when he got called out
-sheeped my post-quota idea
-sheeped fuzzy's assessment of me as scum
-sheeped a few player's assessments of fuzzy as scum
-has been decisively calling people town all game (not a huge point, but the only people who know town for sure are scum)

There might be a few other things, but he just hasn't been very independent all game. He's quick to buddy and sheep and flip his reads on people.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

@ANG, where did I claim?
Also, I haven't said anything else about a NL, as I saw it was a pointless and unwinnable battle.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Umm...

In post 239, fuzzybutternut wrote:My explanations include who I believe drew what roles, and therefore will not post them, as I actually want to win this game. I'm a scummy person, but I do actually hold value to this game.
I'll claim, if I must, though I truly don't have a spectacular role in this game.
VT. That's it. Lynch me if you want, but you reap what you sow.
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:42 pm

How could you claim and then forget it happened?
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by Jackal711 »

In post 247, kuror0 wrote:

@MOD: Requesting a prod on Nabber.

Done.
Also seeking replacement for kitiekatt at her request.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Oh, sorry, been a hectic day.
Yeah, I just figured I'd get it out the way. I actually had to go back and read my role PM to remember it. Probably shouldn't have signed up for like, 4 games at once, but w/e.

*sigh* so many replacements.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:30 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Scumteam is Yoshi-kuror0. Kuror0 is lurking hard, keeping his head down, minimal contributions. Yoshi still has the problem of compulsive sheeping. If you would like to be useful, you could take a position on one of those two!

hint, hint.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:36 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Nacho, that means you have a townread on fuzzy. Correct?

I'm just not sure that newbtown (or any town, really) could be
that
stubborn.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:37 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

everyone can be horribly, horribly stubborn.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Not me.

:shifty:
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:55 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 265, Nachomamma8 wrote:Scumteam is Yoshi-kuror0. Kuror0 is lurking hard, keeping his head down, minimal contributions. Yoshi still has the problem of compulsive sheeping. If you would like to be useful, you could take a position on one of those two!

hint, hint.

I'm skeptical about that call on Kuror0, but he definitely has been lurking. His decisions of when to swap his vote around are all, at the least, interesting plays.

You know how I feel about Yoshi.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:57 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

I've seen kuror0 play before. Right now, he's avoided talking about a lot of alignment-related things, tried subtly to weave in some paranoia about you, and made a big deal out of the quota thing but really didn't talk about anything else. This doesn't seem to be town kuror0 so far, but I could be wrong.

Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 270, Nachomamma8 wrote:I've seen kuror0 play before. Right now, he's avoided talking about a lot of alignment-related things, tried subtly to weave in some paranoia about you, and made a big deal out of the quota thing but really didn't talk about anything else. This doesn't seem to be town kuror0 so far, but I could be wrong.

Makes sense. Like I said, I find the worst offender to be the timing and reasons behind his voting methods.
He's definitely been lurking, too.
Regardless, I feel more confident about voting for Yoshi. If Yoshi flips scum, it'll be telling to see how Kur0 reacts. I think that's a better play than taking chances on a less-confident read.
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

@Nacho:
At first, Varsoon seemed Town for wanting to get the ball rolling. But, when he took too much time to get said ball rolling, it seemed like he actually didn't want to get the ball rolling. That was, IMO, scummy. Then after I had re-evaluated the situation, I realised that it was a noob-tell, and nothing else.

And sorry for not posting for a while. I've had schoolwork left and right. I'll try to be more active throughout the weekend.

On the other hand,
UNVOTE: fuzzy
VOTE: kuror0
This is not a signature. | This is your daily reminder to worship the dancing sandwich.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

I'm stubborn IRL too. I see what you mean about kuror0 though. I'll ISO him, look at some things, and then decide whether my vote needs to be on him or not.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

On the other hand, I've never seen Nacho this lynch-happy before. I'll keep an eye open on you, Nacho.
This is not a signature. | This is your daily reminder to worship the dancing sandwich.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”