The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12025 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:20 am

Post by Klazam »

I agree with this statement by dav very much

I'm not upset by any means. It's just a game. I am, however, frustrated with the occurrence of the incident. I like to consider myself an active and devoted player, and having something taken away from you that you worked hard for can be very, very frustrating.

I love the game. I love the community. I don't like having to restart (restart#4 for me) but I'd kind of prefer a restart over creativity everything back in.

I'd be rather disappointed that we lose a sigficant amount of the player base over this.

I don't know what we should be doing about this.

It seems that the admins are promising that something like this won't happen again, so I'm willing to give it a fourth chance. Rob and dav, I'd like very much to have you two stay on server.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12026 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:24 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

I have no intentions on leaving at all. I just think we need more order. And I'm not saying that the order we have is insignificant. I'm very thrilled that Maru is doing what he is doing, and Corin is also doing his best to keep the server running in perfect condition, which can be hard.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not possible to please everyone all the time, but it is possible to come to the best consensus possible, which is what we need to do.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #12027 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:43 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 12023, fuzzybutternut wrote:The thing is, and with all due respect to everyone, if I wanted to continue to start from scratch over and over again, I'd just play SSP. While it's true that I mainly play on the server for you guys, I do work hard for everything I get, as does everyone else. In between the time I spend on the server, and the sleep I get, I have school, which does get in the way of a lot of things, and, because of that, it can be frustrating to start over from scratch completely every couple of months. Now, I understand that shit happens and that computers aren't perfect, blah blah blah, but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence to have to completely restart the server. I'm not putting anyone at fault, nor am I complaining about things, because really and truly, I don't feel I have any say in what happens. The OP's we have are great, and I absolutely love being on the server, but something has to change. I want to stay here and play with everyone, but I just think there should be a better, more organized way to run the server.

Blake, I'm not upset by any means. It's just a game. I am, however, frustrated with the occurrence of the incident. I like to consider myself an active and devoted player, and having something taken away from you that you worked hard for can be very, very frustrating.

after this we shouldn't have any problems. the first big restart was because we chsoe to switch mod packs. now we're stickign wit hthis modpack that won't be an issue.

The second big issue was with mystcraft, now with bukkit people can keep their stuff safe without necessarily REQUIRING mystcraft, meaning it will be user's-choice to use mystcraft worlds as sole bases, rather than necessity to save yourself from grief/loot.

This most recent issue was 100% "computers tend to fuck shit up" and there is nothing user-end that caused this. It's not even 100% bad, because now we get to bukkit.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12028 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 12003, Maruchan wrote:
In post 12001, Rhinox wrote:Thanks for the update maru. I really do appreciate what you guys do behind the scenes even though I might not come across that way all the time (or ever).

I was thinking while reading your posts... if its possible to get read-only FTP access I could do some semi-regular manual backups of the vanilla server. I could take a backup whenever I ended a minecraft playing session. I'd be happy to do it because I'd have the piece of mind knowing I'll never lose any work I did in between backups. You'd just have to let me know what files I need to copy.

if you can download FTP files with read-only, M can do that for you himself through his adminyness of the control panel. FTP-access is owner-set so you'd just have to register on the control panel, and have M set you to a user with read-only FTP. If it requires write-FTP access, i would suggest M against giving out freebie FTP-access with writableness, but again, he could do that as well.

EDIT: Corin says it is possible, you'll have to register on mutlicraft.ms-hosting.org and then ask M to give you read-only access in the FTP settings and user-level access in the Users page.

In post 12004, Maestro wrote:@Rhinox: I can definitely set read-only FTP access, and I believe we can even limit it to the 'Nilla server, but we'll need to do a test while we're both also on IRC (so not today, because sickness) so we can figure out if it actually works for the kindof back-ups you'd want to do. That being said, I think you may run into the same kinds of problems that Maru talks about. AFAIK (inb4izaksaysI'mwrong) there's no real way to discern which part of the "world" folder in Bukkit link to which places, ergo there's no way to make sure you're JUST backing up places that've actually changed, ergo you'd need to backup the entire fuckin' Nilla server...which can't be a time-economical thing for you to take on doing.

Cool cool we'll see what we can do when M and I are both on IRC and feeling well and all that.

As for the logistics and time-economical stuff of actually doing it... well if its a single drag and drop transfer kinda deal, I'll likely just start the copy transfer when I'm done in the evening and let it run overnight. It would only really be a problem if (a) it takes more than like 8hrs to copy, (b) the files are so big I can't store them or run into my not-sure-if-hard ISP monthly 250gb data limit, or (c) the transfer causes the server to lag unbearibly or something. But we can work all this out later.

In post 12008, Maruchan wrote:@Claus, Rhinox, Maestro, IzakTheGoomba, MME: I would highly suggest you all register at http://multicraft.ms-hosting.org/ (as soon as it is back up again), and them N can give all of you FTP access to the server if he so chooses to allow Claus to run his scripted backups, and rhinox his as well.

In post 12009, Maestro wrote:Claus/Rhinos/Eek: lemme know when you're online here and I can try and get you CP access, but I'll be V/LA at least for today and tomorrow whilst sick. Thanks o/

Should have time this weekend, I'll register when I can and look for M on IRC. Feel better!

-----------------------------------------

Sorry to hear bout the FTB server. You guys can always come back and repopulate the 'nilla server :good:

IMO, this wasn't a result of carelessness or intentional fucking around, just an unfortunate tragic accident. I'd roll with a fresh restart and start over. Sounds like maru and corin are doing good things behind the scenes. If it were the 'nilla server, this would be my stance, but the 'nilla server hasn't had the frequency of restarts that the FTB server has.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12029 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 12026, fuzzybutternut wrote:I have no intentions on leaving at all. I just think we need more order. And I'm not saying that the order we have is insignificant. I'm very thrilled that Maru is doing what he is doing, and Corin is also doing his best to keep the server running in perfect condition, which can be hard.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not possible to please everyone all the time, but it is possible to come to the best consensus possible, which is what we need to do.

At this point, COrin's systems installation (that caused the most recent downtime, and the current crisis) of the VPSes are configured that everything we do across everything on the machine we run on is backed up at some interval corin knows fully and completely, in a very secure way. That alone means that nothing like this will likely ever happen again, as it is backup on a level so much higher than any of the fuckups we've previously had.

That backup alone means i can promise at any cause of hugefuckupery, we can completely rollback each "virtual" machine or the entire machine to any recent backup. That means eve nif i totally nuke the entire filesystem, we can still just re-instance the FTB server back to say 3 days ago (from now on not literally right now to three days ago), and we lose those days but nothing is long-term affected. This is more secure backup than anything any of the servers on this thread have had in the past, except for MAYBE claus's personal script backups he used to do. ask him (he knowx computery stuff) to talk to corin and verify how soundproof these backups are.

On the next level down, we are running multicraft backups meaning we have just as much level of security from now on as the MS server has (and was how i fixed the mess after bukkit install attempt) bar any computer asshatery corrupting these files, in which case we fall back to the above.

On the next level down, with bukkit, we can LogBlock, meaning we can rollback in-game minor instances of issues liek someone's nuke blew up, someone griefed, etc.

On the next level down, I agree with everything most of you said, and me M and izak need to get together and hash out how we handle things, and how i handle things in particular, and figure shit out before we do anything like touching files any more. (even to delete mistcraft ages)

This should be the last big major catastrophe short of FTB no longer supporting our modpack we should ever see.
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12030 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am

Post by Rob14 »

Dav pretty much said what I'm thinking, but more eloquently.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12031 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am

Post by Rhinox »

If someone can explain to me in baby terms how to setup my minecraft for the FTB server, without breaking my SSP/'nilla server vanilla experience, I may just join in with you guys if its a clean restart.

I don't want the 'nilla server to die out, but I've been lonely over there.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12032 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:39 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 12031, Rhinox wrote:If someone can explain to me in baby terms how to setup my minecraft for the FTB server, without breaking my SSP/'nilla server vanilla experience, I may just join in with you guys if its a clean restart.

www.feed-the-beast.com
Click download
if windows hit the exe, if mac hit the .jar

double click whichever you downloaded
chose the DireWolf20 5.1.1 pack on the left.
in the bottom right corner, hit new account type in your miencraft deets
hit save
hit login
allow it do download and instal

it goes nowhere near touching your .minecraft folder.
Show
Join Now!

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12033 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

It creates it's own .minecraft folder.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12034 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:47 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

...crap. I really don't know what to say to this. I get that it's not really anyone's fault, but I'm still pissed at the amount that we've all lost. I'm going to have to go sleep on this and decide what I think about how to go on from here.

While I'm around, scroo asked me to quote this for him:

Anyway, if you want to add my voice to the discussion, you can say
that I'm really upset to have lost so much. I've been off work ill
for the past two weeks and have spent nearly every waking moment on
the server and have probably put in over 100 hours in that period
alone, let alone what I did beforehand. However, if we're going to
start again I really think we should start by punching trees. I'm
100% against any hand-outs or creative-mode rubbish. If anyone else
does that I won't -- I'll be punching trees like how it's meant to be
done.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12035 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 12032, Maruchan wrote:
In post 12031, Rhinox wrote:If someone can explain to me in baby terms how to setup my minecraft for the FTB server, without breaking my SSP/'nilla server vanilla experience, I may just join in with you guys if its a clean restart.

http://www.feed-the-beast.com
Click download

hit save
hit login

seems pretty easy thanks I'll look into it tonight.

I think I'll be the FTB Transit Director - building and maintaining roads and rails and shit between everyone's bases.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12036 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:52 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

That'd be great Rhinox.
Also, I think some sort of Starter Kit should be enabled again. I liked that.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12037 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am

Post by Rob14 »

It isn't a hand out or creative mode rubbish to give people back everything they've worked for over the past month. It's the bare minimum.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12038 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

Trouble is it wouldnvt be what people had worked towards over the past month. It would be either a) an admin-decided selection of stuff which has little or nothing to do with what they've been working on, or b) a period of time in creative mode, which is completely out of the admins' control and impossible to moniter or regulate. I would be genuinely surprised if anyone, given a period of time in creative mode, came even remotely close to replicating what they had before.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12039 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Post by Maruchan »

all of you get on IRC
Show
Join Now!

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12040 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Honestly, I can, but only because I really didn't have much anyway, and I know exactly what I did have. It'd take about 30 minutes to replace it all.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12041 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 12035, Rhinox wrote:
In post 12032, Maruchan wrote:

http://www.feed-the-beast.com
Click download

hit save
hit login

seems pretty easy thanks I'll look into it tonight.

I think I'll be the FTB Transit Director - building and maintaining roads and rails and shit between everyone's bases.

lol.

have fun learnign how to make rails again.

If you become the Railcraft god and get us some badass Railcraft-assery goin though, epicccccccccccccc
Show
Join Now!

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12042 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Yeah, I forgot the rails recipe was nerfed.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12043 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Post by Maruchan »

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/gods/

this looks intersting
(for FTB servah)
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12044 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Post by Rob14 »

I'm radically against using that mod.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12045 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Post by Klazam »

No thanks.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12046 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Post by Maruchan »

fine i'll quite looking at interesting stuff.

we're definitely using LWC, Essentials, LogBlock, and an auto-announcer.
Show
Join Now!

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12047 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Post by Rhinox »

How do I connect to irc from my phone client andchat. I think I need an address or port or something.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12048 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Post by Maruchan »

it seems you just figured it out. ;)
Show
Join Now!

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12049 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Post by Rhinox »

ya I use my brain sometimes :P

Return to “The Arcade”