The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11975 (ISO) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:14 am

Post by Rob14 »

For a few heads. Not even anything good.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11976 (ISO) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 am

Post by Klazam »

Still something is better than nothing
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11977 (ISO) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: Creating the impossible maze
This pic is the progress I've made towards killing a bunch of water that was 2-4 deep mostly:
I'm mining/building the frame based on the previous excel template I posted. I'm using stone in the pattern I need as well as dirt to kill the water, figuring it would save me some time. I'll just dig up all the dirt and leave the stone since the stone is where it needs to be anyways. Not sure its really saving me much. It takes slightly longer to place all the blocks in the right pattern, and its slightly harder to dig up the dirt around the stone.
Here's the template I'm building to:

If I actually had the maze planned out already I could save even more time placing the rest of the walls and saving some mining underground. But I haven't designed the maze yet so I'll have to go back through and place the rest of the walls later. I'm not sure how many layers I'm going to get to before I get tired of digging. Underground there is 1 complete layer matching the excel template, and a second layer that is about half done. I've been alternating my time between mining underground, placing stone and dirt to kill water, and digging the dirt back up. I started on saturday and spent quite a few hours over the weekend. And have spent a couple hours every night this week. In my mind I set an upper limit of 20 layers for the max size I'll go to, but assuming I keep up this same pace it might take me 2-3 months just to finish digging the frame out for 20 layers. :P The amount of digging I signed myself up for is roughly equivalent to digging a 3150 square block quarry (~56x56) roughly ~45 blocks deep or >141750 total blocks (2215 stacks). Thats not counting the extra digging and replacing wrong blocks with smooth stone. That leaves me mining ~40 stacks of blocks per day on average to get done digging in less than 2 months. Despite the scale I've just described, I'm still gonna go for it! :cool: I'm way behind the curve in resource collection so building the maze doubles as a pretty good resource mine (although so far I'm doing a pretty good job breaking even using just about as much iron, coal, and cobble as I've been collecting).

Oh yeah, once I'm done with this, that's only half way done... there's also the nether half :mrgreen: . Not planning on creating a nether portal on Rhinoland Island until the redstone update / nether quartz is in though.

Somewhat related to the above, I've been experiencing a bit of lag still on the vanilla server. I know people don't like hearing it, but I'm pretty sure its server lag at this point, because its the same sorts of things I complained about here - namely now I'm getting blocks the flash in and out when I place or mine them, which is really slowing down my process. Only difference is since I mentioned anything about it last, I upgraded my system (I'm current getting around 300FPS average while playing with max settings and no optifine), and I trippled my own internet connection DL speed (6mbps DSL to 18mbps Uverse) while increasing my UL speed by 1.5x (~1.0mbps to 1.5mbps). Despite my own upgrades, the level of lag I've been experiencing over the past month didn't change at all.

I want to be clear I'm not complaining about it or demanding a server upgrade. Its a slight annoyance at this point, not debilitating or keeping me from playing. Just providing feedback for the server guys. Its also possible (or maybe probable) that its not lag at all (as in server RAM or connection), but just latency that no one can do anything about. At this point though I've convinced myself there's really nothing I could improve on my end.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #11978 (ISO) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Post by Maestro »

Rhinox, all that work looks fantastic - glad I stayed logged off on the island so I can check up on your progress until you start designing the actual maze - at which point I'll skeedaddle. If you need ANY donations of Iron, Diamond, or the equivalent Pickaxes (including enchantments) Klaz and I have TONS lying around on the Vanilla Server that I can assure you we'd love to see used. Our house is probably the closest to your island (if you went due South like you planned. I can't remember if this was the case.) so just let me know anytime you see me online on either server and I'll hop on and happily do some time in the Blaze Farm to get you some enchanted Diamond Pickaxes for your hard work. :D
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11979 (ISO) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

I also have a decent stockpile of diamonds and a few enchanted picks and stuff which you can have if you need. Just let me know and I'll drop them off somewhere.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11980 (ISO) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Post by Maestro »

DONATE TO RHINOX EVERYBODY - GET YOUR NAME WRITTEN ON A SIGN DEEP IN HIS IMPOSSIBLE MAZE! YOUR VERY OWN MAZEBLOCKSIGNTHINGY!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #11981 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 11977, Rhinox wrote:
Spoiler: Creating the impossible maze
This pic is the progress I've made towards killing a bunch of water that was 2-4 deep mostly:
I'm mining/building the frame based on the previous excel template I posted. I'm using stone in the pattern I need as well as dirt to kill the water, figuring it would save me some time. I'll just dig up all the dirt and leave the stone since the stone is where it needs to be anyways. Not sure its really saving me much. It takes slightly longer to place all the blocks in the right pattern, and its slightly harder to dig up the dirt around the stone.
Here's the template I'm building to:

If I actually had the maze planned out already I could save even more time placing the rest of the walls and saving some mining underground. But I haven't designed the maze yet so I'll have to go back through and place the rest of the walls later. I'm not sure how many layers I'm going to get to before I get tired of digging. Underground there is 1 complete layer matching the excel template, and a second layer that is about half done. I've been alternating my time between mining underground, placing stone and dirt to kill water, and digging the dirt back up. I started on saturday and spent quite a few hours over the weekend. And have spent a couple hours every night this week. In my mind I set an upper limit of 20 layers for the max size I'll go to, but assuming I keep up this same pace it might take me 2-3 months just to finish digging the frame out for 20 layers. :P The amount of digging I signed myself up for is roughly equivalent to digging a 3150 square block quarry (~56x56) roughly ~45 blocks deep or >141750 total blocks (2215 stacks). Thats not counting the extra digging and replacing wrong blocks with smooth stone. That leaves me mining ~40 stacks of blocks per day on average to get done digging in less than 2 months. Despite the scale I've just described, I'm still gonna go for it! :cool: I'm way behind the curve in resource collection so building the maze doubles as a pretty good resource mine (although so far I'm doing a pretty good job breaking even using just about as much iron, coal, and cobble as I've been collecting).

Oh yeah, once I'm done with this, that's only half way done... there's also the nether half :mrgreen: . Not planning on creating a nether portal on Rhinoland Island until the redstone update / nether quartz is in though.

Somewhat related to the above, I've been experiencing a bit of lag still on the vanilla server. I know people don't like hearing it, but I'm pretty sure its server lag at this point, because its the same sorts of things I complained about here - namely now I'm getting blocks the flash in and out when I place or mine them, which is really slowing down my process. Only difference is since I mentioned anything about it last, I upgraded my system (I'm current getting around 300FPS average while playing with max settings and no optifine), and I trippled my own internet connection DL speed (6mbps DSL to 18mbps Uverse) while increasing my UL speed by 1.5x (~1.0mbps to 1.5mbps). Despite my own upgrades, the level of lag I've been experiencing over the past month didn't change at all.

I want to be clear I'm not complaining about it or demanding a server upgrade. Its a slight annoyance at this point, not debilitating or keeping me from playing. Just providing feedback for the server guys. Its also possible (or maybe probable) that its not lag at all (as in server RAM or connection), but just latency that no one can do anything about. At this point though I've convinced myself there's really nothing I could improve on my end.

my best guess at this point would be latency. next time you're on ping corin and he can tell you now to test your ping against the server and see what it is
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11982 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Public service announcement: turning on Smooth Lighting (even at 1% using optifine) has instantly solved all my lighting and rendering issues with no noticeable framerate cost. Everything is suddenly beautiful now.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11983 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:34 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 11978, Maestro wrote:Rhinox, all that work looks fantastic - glad I stayed logged off on the island so I can check up on your progress until you start designing the actual maze - at which point I'll skeedaddle. If you need ANY donations of Iron, Diamond, or the equivalent Pickaxes (including enchantments) Klaz and I have TONS lying around on the Vanilla Server that I can assure you we'd love to see used. Our house is probably the closest to your island (if you went due South like you planned. I can't remember if this was the case.) so just let me know anytime you see me online on either server and I'll hop on and happily do some time in the Blaze Farm to get you some enchanted Diamond Pickaxes for your hard work. :D

In post 11979, izakthegoomba wrote:I also have a decent stockpile of diamonds and a few enchanted picks and stuff which you can have if you need. Just let me know and I'll drop them off somewhere.

Thanks for the support and offers guys. At this point I'm using all the iron I find for picks and shovels and I'm using all the coal I find for smelting iron and smooth stone and torches. I think I'm experiencing a net positive gain though so I'm not really at risk at running short on those yet. That said I certainly wouldn't complain about an unbreaking diamond pick or shovel showing up. And I wouldn't mind a fortune pick once I start getting down to the diamond layers but I'm still a a ways away from there. I don't really want an overabundance of handouts though because part of my motivation is knowing that I need resources and I need to mine to get them. So getting handouts actually eats away at my motivation.

One thing I am probably going to run short on soon is wood. Between picks, shovels, and torches, I'm going to run down my supply eventually, and when I'm done digging I'm going to need a ton of ladders anyways. Thats one handout I'm not against taking because I'm not going to find wood underground and it takes time away from what I'm doing to go cchop down trees.

In post 11980, Maestro wrote:DONATE TO RHINOX EVERYBODY - GET YOUR NAME WRITTEN ON A SIGN DEEP IN HIS IMPOSSIBLE MAZE! YOUR VERY OWN MAZEBLOCKSIGNTHINGY!

Thats actually a nice idea. I've been brainstorming ways to.. well not necessarily make the maze easier, but break up the monotony of walking through stone pasageways, and provide an indication that process is being made, like checkpoints. But better than a hidden sign, I can do one better and probably give everyone who wants their own cell somewhere in the maze to decorate however they wish. I can either use the cells as checkpoints along the main path, or hide them all over the maze as alternate objectives to find.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11984 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

The one thing you need is the one thing I don't have in abundance. D:
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11985 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Anyone know what's up with the FTB server?
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11986 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:30 am

Post by Rob14 »

use the IP instead: 46.105.234.0

DNS is down.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11987 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:35 am

Post by Klazam »

seems to be down?

"Cant resolve Hostname"
pedit

THANKS
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11988 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 am

Post by Maestro »

Rhinox: MASSIVE floating tree farm - we haz one
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11989 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:46 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Now neither the IP nor the address are working, and I still can't access the CP. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11990 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 am

Post by Klazam »

Corin screwed up bigtime
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11991 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

:S

How bigtime?
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11992 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 am

Post by Maruchan »

no, he forgot to reformat the comptuer to run on a more optimized version of the operating system when we bought the new node, so he had to mvoe all of our 200 gigabytes of files to another server then wipe and re-instal the os and move it all back

or something liekthat
Show
Join Now!

blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11993 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

Post by blake5135 »

uh when is it going to be back.
and gavin that was so nice of you man.
I hope it actually gets here on my birthday. that'd make my day even more.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11994 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Post by Maruchan »

what'd you get?
Show
Join Now!

blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11995 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Post by blake5135 »

uhh a phone stand looked really cool.
ITS BLUE <3
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11996 (ISO) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

So do we have an ETA on when the server's going to be back up?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11997 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 11996, izakthegoomba wrote:So do we have an ETA on when the server's going to be back up?

I think in general more communication with server issues would be a good thing. I think I remember with daddycheese, claus would regular post things like "daddycheese says the server's going to be down from X to Y" and stuff like that.

I'm not saying we need advance notice before taking the server down or anything like that. But if for example corin has to take the servers down to format a drive, I'd be nice to have an official server host notification posted somewhere saying that. Even if its a real simple and quick: "Hey guys taking server down for maintenance, expecting it to take X hrs/days."

Its just nice to be in the loop with whats going on and not be in the dark wondering what's happening? does anyone know? is it being fixed??? I'd extend this to things like the dynmap too. I'm still not sure if its being worked on, whats the timetable for it to be working, what the issue really is keeping it from being fixed (is it technical or just low priority?), etc.

Maybe these announcements are being passed around on IRC or something but not everyone can be on IRC all the time. My work blocks all web and client based IM services including IRC, and even with my phone I still have a verizon 3g phone and apparently it is a thing with verizon that IRC doesn't work or is blocked over 3g, only works over wifi, which I don't have access to at work either.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11998 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:18 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

^

Maru, could you at the very least shoot me and M a PM and say something in the IRC a few minutes before you do something significant?
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11999 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:33 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 11997, Rhinox wrote:
In post 11996, izakthegoomba wrote:So do we have an ETA on when the server's going to be back up?

I think in general more communication with server issues would be a good thing. I think I remember with daddycheese, claus would regular post things like "daddycheese says the server's going to be down from X to Y" and stuff like that.

I'm not saying we need advance notice before taking the server down or anything like that. But if for example corin has to take the servers down to format a drive, I'd be nice to have an official server host notification posted somewhere saying that. Even if its a real simple and quick: "Hey guys taking server down for maintenance, expecting it to take X hrs/days."

Its just nice to be in the loop with whats going on and not be in the dark wondering what's happening? does anyone know? is it being fixed??? I'd extend this to things like the dynmap too. I'm still not sure if its being worked on, whats the timetable for it to be working, what the issue really is keeping it from being fixed (is it technical or just low priority?), etc.

Maybe these announcements are being passed around on IRC or something but not everyone can be on IRC all the time. My work blocks all web and client based IM services including IRC, and even with my phone I still have a verizon 3g phone and apparently it is a thing with verizon that IRC doesn't work or is blocked over 3g, only works over wifi, which I don't have access to at work either.

Most of you found out before I did, due to my schedule there is often a 16-20 hour chunk of a day during which i will not once log in to this site, and that is unavoidable. Usually he tries to give me warning before doing stuff, and i try to pass on said warning. This particular time was un-avoidable as it was an emergency. We got a letter fro mthe datacenter where the machines are stored telling us that a configuraiton we had was basically over-using their network, essentially killing others' ability to use the network and only letting our traffic through. They told us we had 24 hours to fix the issue before they disconnected our machine from the network, until we could re-configure it to work properly.

For the past 24 hours, Corin has been spending countless hours trying to figure out a way to make it work to do what he needs it to do without fucking over the kind company providing us the building, power, and internet connection to the machine. As of ~5 minutes ago, he has told me he is finished, and has thrown up a temporary server of some sort while he moves all of our content back to the new machine. Unfortunately, due to how much I have completely backup-up-the-wazoo'd the mafiascum server while i was running it, and left the systems in place to continue this process, the mafiascum server itself takes up nearly 100 GIGABYTES of data space. Imagine trying to download a 100GB file onto your computer, how long that would take. Let me give you a hint because I did it with a doctor who torrent, it took me 19 days to download it.

Normally an entire minecraft server network of 20 or so servers all running their own stuff can run on under 50 gigs, the mafiascum server takes twice that.

That means unfortunately down time is longer than should be, due to the level of backups we have to stop things like chesskid and me from permanently affecting the server.

I've been talkign to corin trying to find ways we can move away from the system i had in place to a less-intensive system, while still keeping near-same levels of backup-ability. One such thing, need to configure LogBlock to allow tracking of signs, then I need to ask everyone to remove and replace any signs they care about after the fact, so they get logged properly.

Another thing, we'll probably stop updating the every 6 or 12 hours it is set now to (way excessive considering the level of server activity on the MS server, to deem 6 hours of work worth enough to take up gigabytes of data), to a standard normally-used 24 hour backup schedule. We MIGHT (im trying to find a way to compromise here while still saving space) stop saving an entire month's worth of backups and save only a week at a time (although if this was a result, I'd ask Claus if he would do his own manual backups he used to do like once a week or every other week, just to keep a decent level of backups in case any less-active members get griefed and come back a month or so later to find it un-fixable except through logblock)

Now, as for why I am deciding these measures to take myself rather than asking M, is because this is not just a sever-problem for the MS server, but a space problem for the overall limited storage space of the entire company's server space. Of course, if M would rather do all this himself rather than have corin fix it, he is more than welcome to.

as for when back up, should definitely be by tonight
Show
Join Now!

Return to “The Arcade”