The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11875 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 am

Post by Klazam »

Also, what time is the restarts happening daily?

I'll need to login and go in my ages to load them each time that happens.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #11876 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:31 am

Post by Maestro »

Chickenbones' Chunk Loaders load the chunks around them on server start-up - yet another reason they're better than RailCraft World Anchors.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11877 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Ok, here's my totally non-official take on what's happening with the rogue ages. Presumably when the server is shut down, the chunks thatvneed to be loaded immediately on startup must be saved to a file of some kind, OUTSIDE of the world save. When the server is started up again, there is no check for whether the loader/quarry is still there - because there's normally no reason for it not to be. The chunks are regenerated and the age continues to exist.

Assuming this is right, just deleting the ages a second time should permanently remove them.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #11878 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 11873, Maestro wrote:MARU, "you of all people" should know NOT to fucking delete Ages before checking the spreadsheet - what if I'd actually built there already?!

i had the spreadsheet open i honestly didn't see the 193 194 and i looked at it like 50,0000,000,000,000 times
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11879 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:03 am

Post by Maestro »

:P
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11880 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 am

Post by Klazam »

In post 11876, Maestro wrote:Chickenbones' Chunk Loaders load the chunks around them on server start-up - yet another reason they're better than RailCraft World Anchors.

The issue isn't with the chunk loaders. I have to go to my quarry age specifically to have it load the quarry.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11881 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 11877, izakthegoomba wrote:Ok, here's my totally non-official take on what's happening with the rogue ages. Presumably when the server is shut down, the chunks thatvneed to be loaded immediately on startup must be saved to a file of some kind, OUTSIDE of the world save. When the server is started up again, there is no check for whether the loader/quarry is still there - because there's normally no reason for it not to be. The chunks are regenerated and the age continues to exist.

Assuming this is right, just deleting the ages a second time should permanently remove them.

Welp, Age 103 survived about 3 or 4 deletions before I went back in, saw my quarry + all the machinery helping it run + the little house I'd built right nearby. Destroyed them in a mad flurry while 50 million mobs spawned under a dark overhang of regenerated terrain nearby, and GTFO.

P-Edit: Er, I never had to do that for mine. But ok...
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11882 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:57 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Nor did I, but I think the chunk loader I was using for my sorting system may have covered the quarry block, loading the rest of it.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11883 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Throw up a chunk loader in the quarry age, klaz. You can use up to two per person, so...

Also: I would like to submit a request/complaint regarding the recent mad deletion of ages. I understand that age proliferation is a serious server problem that needs a solution, and deleting those worlds is the solution. But the current system is NOT working. Ages that are supposed to be preserved (i.e. on the spreadsheet) are being deleted. This happened to Egypt. That was a serious problem that almost lost us a long-time member of the server, who also happens to be awesome (<3). It also just happened to M's new age, so clearly no lessons were learned from the Egypt fiasco.

I would like to request that a single person is responsible for age deletion. I greatly prefer this person to be M, personally, since he was affected both times in these age deletes and so is most likely to take his time going over the ages to be deleted, as he knows the consequences of having a fast trigger finger on age deletion.

Further, I think additional precautions must be taken when ages are deleted. I think that once a week, the person responsible for age deletion (M?) should post up all ages currently slated for deletion in the public forum. Users should then be given 48 hours to "claim" an age. If they already have two ages in the spreadsheet, they must choose one to be deleted so the new one can be added. This will prevent issues where people's ages are deleted randomly because they forget about the spreadsheet or something is overlooked (such as Egypt and M's ages).

I understand fully that this is Maru's server and it is not a community server, but I still think that this should be taken into major consideration as it's become abundantly clear that the age deletion system we have now simply does not work. It's about as broken as the US government.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11884 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Post by Klazam »

Rob, the quarry counts as a chunk loading machine in it own right.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11885 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Post by Rob14 »

I'd think if you were loading the same chunks with both, it wouldn't matter. As long as they don't double-load. Check with an admin, but I don't see what the problem would be if you limited the chunk loader to the chunks that the quarry was already loading.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11886 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Post by Maestro »

They double-load, so I'd prefer he not do that. I'm still surprised though...all my Quarries have switched right back on without me having to go to them at server restart, AFAIK. I'm not saying you're lying, Klaz, but I am saying it's not consistent so I'm not sure what to do about it.

Also, er...I'd very much prefer I NOT be the one to handle Age deletion. But if you want me to, ok. Not sure why past mistakes are qualifications either, but I do agree that it should be a little more transparent. The error before was not "oh look Ages, better delete without looking at spreadsheet, herpderp" it was more just human error. Knowing what's on the spreadsheet and correctly deleting what's not there is little more confusing than it sounds, especially when there're certain Ages that continue to be claiming and others that're in constant flux. (no pun intended)

Would like Maru and izak to weigh in, but I don't think it's as huge of an issue as you believe, TBH.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11887 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Post by Rob14 »

In post 11776, Klazam wrote:EDIT:

Actually never mind. I think i don't want to play mine craft, so just don't bother.

Maru, just pm me with how much you want me to pay for this month, then close my servers.

Klaz almost quit the server over the error that was made. That is why this is a big deal.

I hadn't realized until I dug into the ISOs for the above post that M was the one to accidentally delete Egypt, so I adjust my preferred choice of "official age deletion guru" to izak. I really don't care who handles it though, to be honest. I just want all that particular power centralized in one person. It will allow one person to get really good at handling age deletion and it will also encourage them to spend time on it, since it is their sole responsibility.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11888 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 11883, Rob14 wrote:Users should then be given 48 hours to "claim" an age. If they already have two ages in the spreadsheet, they must choose one to be deleted so the new one can be added. This will prevent issues where people's ages are deleted randomly because they forget about the spreadsheet or something is overlooked

it also allows for people to run 3 or 4 ages at a time for a period of a week with a 48 hour warning before their extras are deleted.
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11889 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Post by Maruchan »

everything you have explained so far is pretty much how ive handled it every time i've done it, except for the last where i deleted the two new ages. and i've done it more often than anyone knows, because i didn't usually state i was doing it. pretty much any time I ever shut the server down, i did it, as well as at other times.
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11890 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Post by Rob14 »

In post 11888, Maruchan wrote:
In post 11883, Rob14 wrote:Users should then be given 48 hours to "claim" an age. If they already have two ages in the spreadsheet, they must choose one to be deleted so the new one can be added. This will prevent issues where people's ages are deleted randomly because they forget about the spreadsheet or something is overlooked

it also allows for people to run 3 or 4 ages at a time for a period of a week with a 48 hour warning before their extras are deleted.

This is not a concern considering that all new ages being created now need permission from an admin. Admins would deny permission if you were making ages like crazy or trying to use 3-4 active ages. Also, of course, if anyone abuses this rule than you give them a temp-ban from Mystcraft with the new admin tools for that mod in order to encourage them to follow the rules when they get access back.

And I understand that the admins are almost always following appropriate common-sense procedures when deleting ages, and I'm glad that we've developed the spreadsheet and put a lot of these procedures in place to streamline age deletion. Mistakes are still happening though. I know you're deleting ages often, Maru, and I appreciate your efforts in doing so. But the people who lose impressive builds or setups in ages they've spent a lot of time in aren't going to remember the 1000 ages you deleted correctly. They're going to remember the 1 age you deleted accidentally.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming anyone or trying to state that anyone isn't performing due diligence in their admin duties. You, M, and Izak all do a great job. I'm just saying human error happens. Publishing the ages to be deleted 48 hours before deletion helps correct for human error as much as possible because it puts another several sets of eyes on your work and guarantees no mistakes will slip through the cracks.

I'll rescind my suggestion for a single person to process all age deletions. I still think it would be easier to manage, less likely to produce mistakes, and a better system as a whole, but I'd rather focus on the more important issue, which I believe is ensuring that people have a chance to double-check that age deletions are correct before they're processed.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11891 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Post by Maruchan »

but thats the whole goal of the spreadsheet. because of how hard it is to get input from everyone in-thread.
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11892 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Post by Rob14 »

You don't have to get input from everyone in-thread, though. People who want to guarantee the safety of their ages can double-check. People who don't want to or don't have ages don't even have to pop their heads in. Either way, if an age that someone wanted gets deleted, you can point to the thread and say they didn't respond within 48 hours. What do you lose from tacking on the extra step of posting the list in-thread before deletion? It adds transparency and decreases the potential for future errors.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11893 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Post by Rob14 »

My end goal is just to make sure things like this don't keep happening. If I were in Klaz's shoes when Egypt imploded, I would have found a new server. I don't want anyone to lose the things they've spent time on due to human error. It's not fair.

If you can come up with any type of system behind the scenes that you think will decrease error better or the same as what I'm proposing or you have something that's more convenient for you, go for it. One idea that just popped into my head is having two admins approve an age deletion before it takes place (i.e. you share a Google Doc - when an admin wants an age deleted, he puts the number into the Google Doc and another one does the deleting after double-checking against the spreadsheet). Another idea is to keep a copy of age files that are being deleted somewhere so they could be restored somehow (I do not know how running a server works, so this might not be possible - you guys will know if I'm talking crazy, I'm sure).

I'm just looking for some additional fail-safe to be in place...just in case.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11894 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I officially started working on my maze today on the nilla server :)

I'm going to be working for a very long time however...
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11895 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Post by Claus »

In post 11894, Rhinox wrote:I officially started working on my maze today on the nilla server :)

I'm going to be working for a very long time however...

Awesome! I have finished cleaning the inside of my 63x63 pyramid, and even found a skeleton spawner nearby. Now I need to spend some time planning out the rooms inside before building them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11896 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

I saw a lot of horses today...one guy got trampled by a bull..think he broke his leg..
Yeah.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11897 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Post by Maestro »

^ ...wut?
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11898 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:15 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

I went to a rodeo.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11899 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:19 am

Post by blake5135 »

Someone destroyed my IC2 plants that I was growing.
No, it is not something that I can just restart because they take forever to grow and etc.
Then someone greifed the side of my basement taking out dirt blocks this happened three days ago?
Yeah uhh we really need some greifprotection.

Return to “The Arcade”