The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11150 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 11149, fuzzybutternut wrote:
In post 11148, Mist7676 wrote:
In post 11147, Klazam wrote:in that situation, the YET was so true. I fully intend to cause server crash more than once (but not with mystcraft)

NO MORE MOB FARMS

lolwut?

Klaz made a tier 5 blaze soul cage last time...
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11151 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 11137, Maruchan wrote:
maybe if I increased the resolution, unfortunately I'm not 100% sure what our server looks like for storage=space wise, to know if we have the room for it.

In post 11138, Claus wrote:

1- The thing is that the world just got bigger :-) A while ago 5000 blocks was enough to see the entire world. That said, while people like big numbers, there are a lot of perfectly unexplored areas within a 3000 block radius of spawn (We found an untouched village 3000 from spawn).

2- Hut with random rails???????? :-( That is a legitimate Small Scout UFO :-(

Well I know the world got bigger, and I'm not trying to go to a big number to build, I just want to be able to see where other people have built on the dynmap so if for example I decide to build a transit hub in my new city and build subways I know where to go and in which direction. I just remember the first time people started leaving the spawntown continent somebody hopped in a boat and went out in the ocean in a straight line for much more than 5000 blocks and on the dynmap you could see the entire explored area at minimum zoom all the way out to the end of the explored ocean area and spawn town continent/skytown/jungle temple area was about the size a quarter. Now at minimum zoom basically the entire spawntown/skytown/jungle temple continent area fills the entire screen and it is impossible to zoom out further to see more of the explored area at once. It is definitely not able to be zoomed out as far as it used to because you can't even see the ocean at minimum zoom without scrolling away from spawntown. And now, since there are many "paths" leading away from spawntown I don't know which one to follow to find vinelands or Honeyopolis (that is a place right?) for example, or even how long I would have to scroll to get there. :(

I don't know what resolution would have to do with it or why it would increase storage space requirements. All the information is already there stored I just can't zoom out to see it all/more of it on the screen at once :(

Yeah random hut. Looks like somebody built it because there were some signs but I don't remember what they said. I'll go back and take a screenshot next time I'm online.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11152 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:41 am

Post by Rhinox »

Speaking of the next time I'll be able to be on.... http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25512

My home PC is bricked at the moment so that kills my minecraft aspirations for the time being :(

If anyone is able to help me identify and fix the problem, I'd appreciate it (see link)
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11153 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 am

Post by Klazam »

does anybody know how to use water mills?

Edit: never mind. I am looking to trade 4 water mills for 1 generator- I have 14ish.

Or if a op would kindly replace them with generators- I was operating under a mistaken impression, and all that wasted resources makes me unhappy. :(
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #11154 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 am

Post by Maestro »

I'll do it. Get back on.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11155 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 am

Post by Klazam »

Have to go to work.

Will be on at 7-730.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #11156 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 11151, Rhinox wrote:
In post 11137, Maruchan wrote:
maybe if I increased the resolution, unfortunately I'm not 100% sure what our server looks like for storage=space wise, to know if we have the room for it.

In post 11138, Claus wrote:

1- The thing is that the world just got bigger :-) A while ago 5000 blocks was enough to see the entire world. That said, while people like big numbers, there are a lot of perfectly unexplored areas within a 3000 block radius of spawn (We found an untouched village 3000 from spawn).

2- Hut with random rails???????? :-( That is a legitimate Small Scout UFO :-(

Well I know the world got bigger, and I'm not trying to go to a big number to build, I just want to be able to see where other people have built on the dynmap so if for example I decide to build a transit hub in my new city and build subways I know where to go and in which direction. I just remember the first time people started leaving the spawntown continent somebody hopped in a boat and went out in the ocean in a straight line for much more than 5000 blocks and on the dynmap you could see the entire explored area at minimum zoom all the way out to the end of the explored ocean area and spawn town continent/skytown/jungle temple area was about the size a quarter. Now at minimum zoom basically the entire spawntown/skytown/jungle temple continent area fills the entire screen and it is impossible to zoom out further to see more of the explored area at once. It is definitely not able to be zoomed out as far as it used to because you can't even see the ocean at minimum zoom without scrolling away from spawntown. And now, since there are many "paths" leading away from spawntown I don't know which one to follow to find vinelands or Honeyopolis (that is a place right?) for example, or even how long I would have to scroll to get there. :(

I don't know what resolution would have to do with it or why it would increase storage space requirements. All the information is already there stored I just can't zoom out to see it all/more of it on the screen at once :(

Yeah random hut. Looks like somebody built it because there were some signs but I don't remember what they said. I'll go back and take a screenshot next time I'm online.

You're thinking xooming out on a specific image is how dynmap works, but it doesn't. that would eat gigabyte worth of bandwidth in seconds. what it does is it has a different picture size for each level of zoom. At max zoom, 1 MC Block=50 pixels lets say. so you're assuming, "Ok now just zoom out but load the same X amount of 50X50 pixel blocks", so you zoom out so you can see 10 blocks X 10 blocks. thats 500X500 pixels. 250,000 pixels get sent to your computer. lets pretend each pixel is 1 byte of memory being sent over the internet, that is sending lets pretend 1 megabyte of data per 250,000 pixels.

Zoom out 100 times, so now you can see 100 blocks by 100 blocks. each block is still the same picture so its still loading at 50 pixels apiece, even though you can only see it on your computer screen as 5 pixels, the computer still has 50 pixels worth of memory there. Now it's sending you 5000 X 5000 pixels, 25,000,000 pixels. 50 megabytes of data. and now you can see all of spawntown.

Now lets zoom out some more so you can see 10,000 by 10,000 minecraft blocks. so that means the picture it is sending you is 500,000X500,000 pixels big. To you, it looks like a grouping of 3X3 blocks for a total of nine blocks is only a single pixel, you're so zoomed out. but your computer is still reading 50 pixels per block! so thats 250,000,000,000 pixels big that picture is! divide that by 250,000, that is one MILLION megabytes! thats a TERABYTE worth of data your computer has to load! Lets assume you have what is a typical ~A-grade (speedtest.net) internet in the USA, 25 mbps. that means you can only receive 25 megabytes per a second. you need to load one MILLION megabytes. so it'll take 1,000,000/25 seconds to load the picture. 40,000 seconds. 667 minutes. 11 HOURS it will take just to load up that map. PLUS, some hosting companies meter your intenet usage (on the server side), i think our first terabyte worth of information is at a gigabyte a second then we get metered down to slower speeds.

OOPS you just hit refresh! Now you've used all our internet bandwidth! Our metered speeds are soooo slow we can't even stand playing minecraft anymore.

So what DYNMAP does, is since you can only see 9 blocks per a pixel at that level, it makes a NEW picture. where each 1 pixel only represents 9 blocks. so if you are looking at a 100,000X100,000 block area, and 9 blocks per pixel, you're loading ~1 billion pixels rather than that hefty 250 BILLION pixels you were loading before. Now you're only using 15 gigabytes worth of data, you can hit refresh 250 times before our internet is metered.

so for every level you zoom out, dynmap has to create a new image size for you to load, to save on internet speed usage. Currently, dynmap is being told "only create images for them to load to 10X zoom out", and it makes 100 images of each block at different sizes of pixels to blocks ratio, to save on bandwidth. We can make it easier to zoom out further, by upping the resolution we tell dynmap to let you load to. But that means more images. Images take a hefty amount of Hard Drive Storage Space to store. it took me TWELVE HOURS of simultaneously running TWELVE delete scripts, deleting SEVEN images per a second per each script to delete the dynmap maps of the modded server, if that puts it into persepctive.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11157 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 am

Post by Maruchan »

also we're in the process of upgrading
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11158 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 am

Post by Maruchan »

I reallyreallyreallyreally want that bukkitplugin/mod/wahteverthefuck it is.

X.X
Show
Join Now!

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11159 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

umm... the first part of your post wasn't really what I thought was happening. I knew it changed the scale and reloaded new pictures I just didn't really understand how it worked or what it meant for storage space.

But I played around on the dynmap and now I kinda understand. I see that at any scale level, the dynmap is just a tiled collage of 128x128 pixel images, and every time you zoom out there are more blocks per tile. Or conversely, zooming in is less blocks per tile, but the tile size is always 128x128. Are all the tiles stored as images all the time on the server? They don't just generate each time they load and delete when they unload as temporary files? If it keeps them all I can see how it would a lot of images now because at the most zoomed in level it must be millions of 128x128 tiles to cover the entire explored world.

But IMO you're thinking about it kinda backwards. Every further level of zoom out should have less images than the previous level. For the computer I'm on now, it has the resolution to display about one hundred 128x128 tiles. So if it were possible to zoom all the way out to the whole world, it would only need one hundred 128x128 images. Each image is about 30kb so thats only 3000kb or 3mb for the whole world all the way zoomed out. I realize there are a lot of levels in between the 10x zoom out and how many #x out it would take to show the whole world but the further out you get the less it matters. Seems to me like if you wanted to reduce the number of images and thus the storage space it would make more sense to restrict the zoom in rather than the zoom out. For example, if you restricted the zoom in by 1 level from where it's currently at, that would get rid of the most images, and allow for probably many more levels of zoom out, maybe all the way out to the whole world, for the same number of total images for all levels / the same amount of storage space.

I know I would be OK with that compromise. I rarely use the full zoom in. The second tick down is still pretty detailed and has enough resolution to show every block.

Alternatively, I'd be happy if you kept all the zoom levels as they are now and add one more zoom out level after the 10x zoom out at whatever level would show the whole world. so it would jump from 1000x (or whatever it is) zoom out straight to 10x zoom out without needing all the levels and images in between. As long as it still centered on the mouse pointer with the scroll that would be fine. Don't really need all the interim levels, just would be nice to have an overview level if its possible. As I explained above, it would only need to add about 100 images or 3mb to what is being used now. Well, 100 for each view anyways but still should be negligible compared to the rest of the images.

Alternatively alternative: Is it possible to display all the location markers in the legend and be able to jump to the different locations by selecting them on the legend? such as right now I see tbone is on and I can click his name in the legend and the map jumps there. Then I don't care if I can't zoom out as long as all the major locations are labeled and I can select them in the legend to go view that area.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11160 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

Post by Maruchan »

See it isn't as customizable as all that afaik, all I can do is add a few more layers zoom-out (maybe, it might be better detail zoom-in) so idk. i'd really have to take a look at the dynmap configs some more, which while being not too long, is one of the most technical-language driven convoluted configs we have.
Show
Join Now!

Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11161 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 am

Post by Mist7676 »

I don't want t use dynmap anymore o___o that post scared me somehow...
You Are Worth It
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11162 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 am

Post by Maruchan »

mist it won't really do anything, im saying what it WOULD do if it worked differently, but the way they work it actually is really really lite, and barely affects our bandwidth, due to how tbone explained it.

thats why it takes up so much HDD storage space though, is saving all of those pictures.
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11163 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Post by Rob14 »

May have crashed the server...
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11164 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Post by Klazam »

mist logs on and the server crashes.... :(
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11165 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Post by Klazam »

WAIT

WE UPGRADED

AND THIS STILL HaPPENED?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11166 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Post by Maestro »

It's not upgraded yet.
He only just paid to upgrade.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11167 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Post by Rob14 »

i think the upgrade hasn't happened yet
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11168 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Post by Rob14 »

M, can you reboot the server?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11169 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Post by Maestro »

Yup.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11170 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Umm...did it crash again?
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11171 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 11169, Maestro wrote:Yup.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11172 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Post by Maruchan »

For the price of:
1 ender eye, 4 redstone, 4 glowstone, 2 obsidian, and 1 button, you can make a wireless remote to remotely control town's gates (instead of having to bush the buttons on your way in and out)

EPIC DESIGN BY MARUCHAN YOU CAN ALL PRAISE HIM LATER (Izak, it's also a flip-flop toggle circuit, so pushing the button or turning remote on, opens then stays open till you push button/turn remote on again. M has your key)
Show
Join Now!

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11173 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm

Post by Maestro »

Hm! Cool.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11174 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Post by Maestro »

P.S. Guys, xtopher just asked, in the Trivia Thread: how long is a full Day/Night Cycle in Minecraft? :lol: :roll:
You all should check out the Multiple Choice Trivia Thread because it's awesome.

Return to “The Arcade”