Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1675 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

you go ahead and take legion loyalists
green shirt thursdays
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #1676 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 am

Post by Fate »

Because you're going to run faggots of the parish arent you
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #1677 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

lol.

that is such a hilarious card, though.

that + doublestrike + something that gives it trample (rancor?). woaaaaaah.

on that note I'm preeetty sure at this point that I want to play naya (or as I've been calling it, mexico <.<). I reaaaaaaaaally like boros but there are a lot of green cards I like too and I feel like if I could find a good RW deck that splashed green... :3

I still need to try RG, though.
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1678 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1676, Fate wrote:Because you're going to run faggots of the parish arent you

you're goddamn right
green shirt thursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1679 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:51 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think both these bannings are crap.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1680 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 am

Post by bv310 »

I think they could have done a lot worse than BBE, but I don't recall Storm being dominant enough to deserve Song ban. Either way, my D&T List is getting a fair bit better with no Cascade in Jund.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1681 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:04 am

Post by chamber »

BBE wasn't even that scary of a card in jund. Bob and liliana + 1 cc discard + lightning bolt make that deck what it is.
Taking a break from the site.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1682 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 am

Post by bv310 »

Yep, but I feel like losing Cascade makes it a lot simpler of a matchup. No chance of them topdecking BBE into Lili to get them back in the game.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1683 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:50 am

Post by PeregrineV »

Really liked this pre-release.

Friday night I picked Boros, and went 3-1. My loss was 2-1 against Orzhev, and I was his only opponent to make him sweat (almost had our third game, too).

Sunday, got the only box left, BG. Won the first game against Boros, tied the next against Orzhev (best game ever), got spanked hard by RG, and then won against Dimir.

Supposedly Friday they will have a 6pack limited tournament, so looking forward to that too.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1684 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:18 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Yeah. The rational given for BBE was that it was "a card unique to Jund." The problem with that is that it means it wasn't strong enough to be played in any other deck, which means it probably doesn't pass the power threshold for a banning. In addition to that, is the card really all that much better than other value creatures in that slot? Like, huntmaster probably fills the slot just fine. So does Olivia. If the idea was to nerf Jund a little then I think it's gunna be a huge failure.

As for storm, sure, it can win on turn 3. So can burn. So can eggs. So can twin. So can infect. None of the decks can consistently do so. Not through removal or disruption. The fact that storm was not even a dominant meta choice shows that this is true. If it consistently killed on turn 3, then pretty clearly more people would be playing it. Wizards just hates storm combo and regrets printing it and keeps nerfing it for no reason. Meanwhile, it absolutely kills my enduring ideal deck with splashover, for no tangible gain to the format.

It's fucked.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1685 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am

Post by bv310 »

From the arguments I'm reading, losing BBE costs Jund a lot of explosiveness. Yes, they'll throw in Huntmaster/Olive with ease, but they can no longer come back from a board wipe with BBE->Bob or BBE->Goyf. Really, there is no way to nerf Jund too hard. The deck is simply RBG Goodstuff.

I'm more pissed about the Pauper bans the more I think about them. They single-handedly killed Storm, and nerfed Infect, but left 8Post and Delver alone? Fuck that shit.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1686 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Why isn't tarmogoyf banned yet? Is it because a 5/6 for two is fair, or because wizards doesn't want to loss of people who spent $300 for a playset?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Nightson
Nightson
Goon
Nightson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1687 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 am

Post by Nightson »

In post 1677, esuriospiritus wrote:lol.

that is such a hilarious card, though.

that + doublestrike + something that gives it trample (rancor?). woaaaaaah.

on that note I'm preeetty sure at this point that I want to play naya (or as I've been calling it, mexico <.<). I reaaaaaaaaally like boros but there are a lot of green cards I like too and I feel like if I could find a good RW deck that splashed green... :3

I still need to try RG, though.

You may find this interesting.

http://rustbeltplaneswalkers.us/evaluat ... omri-rade/
"Faust complained about having two souls in his breast, but I harbor a whole crowd of them and they quarrel. It is like being in a republic." ~Otto von Bismarck
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #1688 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 am

Post by PJ. »

BBE seems like a fairish ban that accomplishs what they want it to. Seething Song is a bullshit ban.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #1689 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

mhm, that was a really good read. Makes me want to play naya even more. :P
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1690 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 am

Post by kdowns »

"All Dragon's Maze booster packs (not just prerelease ones) will have the fifteenth slot, typically reserved for a basic land, filled by a non-basic land. These will be either common Guildgates or rare shocklands and show up in packs at their original rate. It was also confirmed that there is a mythic rare land in DGM that will be in the land slot at mythic rate."

Dragon's Maze Prerelease will only have 1 single promo card and you will apparently be doing something equivalent to the Avacyn Restored Pre Release
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1691 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 1686, Sudo_Nym wrote:Why isn't tarmogoyf banned yet? Is it because a 5/6 for two is fair, or because wizards doesn't want to loss of people who spent $300 for a playset?

It doesn't have trample, and also probably the second point, though they'd never admit it.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1692 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1690, kdowns wrote:"All Dragon's Maze booster packs (not just prerelease ones) will have the fifteenth slot, typically reserved for a basic land, filled by a non-basic land. These will be either common Guildgates or rare shocklands and show up in packs at their original rate. It was also confirmed that there is a mythic rare land in DGM that will be in the land slot at mythic rate."

Dragon's Maze Prerelease will only have 1 single promo card and you will apparently be doing something equivalent to the Avacyn Restored Pre Release

Basically, from my understanding:

- You'll pick one out of the ten guilds.
- Each guild has a secret "allied" guild that it is paired with from the opposing set.
- Your Dragon's Maze prerelease set will contain 1 RTR guild booster, 1 GTC guild booster, and 4 GTC regular booster packs.
- Throughout the prerelease, the sets of guilds will work to win matches/unlock achievements quicker than the other guilds. The first guilds to get through the maze get rewards.

The question is if each guild has a predefined "ally" or if it's sort of randomized? I would imagine it has to be pre-set. My prediction would be:

guilds
flavor
mechanics
Izzet/Dimir
The Izzet League pretty much implemented most of Ravnica's technology and infrastructure. House Dimir is sneaky and stealthy, and having help from the people who made the city would be perfect. So why would Izzet help? Well, all we know is Niv-Mizzet is pissed about something. Maybe hiring up Dimir to spy on the other guilds is beneficial to him.
Izzet has ways of pushing creatures through, and Dimir's cipher is therefore easier to trigger.
Azorius/Boros
This seems pretty self-explanatory...both are peacekeeping guilds with an emphasis on justice/law/order/etc, so their working together when Ravnica goes crazy just seems to fit hand and hand.
Boros wants to get a bunch of creatures down to trigger Battallion, and the detain mechanic from Azorius will allow them to safely trigger battallion without swining into unfavorable situations.
Rakdos/Orzohov
Both are cult-like "religious" organizations covering for something much bigger...but the Rakdos cultists are working as the lowest of the lowest class in the city, whereas the Orzhov are the shady ruling class running a racket on all of Ravnica's businesses. Plus, Rakdos's tendency to kill things off in sacrifical rituals plays nicely into Orzhov's ghost manipulation tendencies.
Rakdos plays down all their unleashed creatures and suicides them into the opponent's face, while Orzhov's big bootied defenders with extort hold the lines.
Golgari/Gruul
The Golgari founder has already used the remains of the Gruul founder to make himself a "more perfect" being. Both guilds are "one with nature", so to speak: the Golgari live and breathe off from reanimation using the earth, whereas the Gruul clans are roaming, nomadic peoples who want to take back the wildlands.
Both scavenge & bloodrush play into making your creatures bigger and beefier.
Selesnya/Simic
Both guilds are dedicated to preserving life and peace in Ravnica. With Selesnya's use of dryads to create new life, and Simic's interest in biology and natural adaptation, it's a perfect fit for the two to work together.
Populating big creatures (like an X-X ooze) will not only advance your boardstate, but trigger evolve across the board.
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1693 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Seems like a good set to do a 2HG
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1694 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 1688, PJ. wrote:BBE seems like a fairish ban that accomplishs what they want it to. Seething Song is a bullshit ban.

Do you even play modern? I just devoted a fairly long post explaining why those things weren't true. At least BV attempted to make an argument. You just stated the opposite with no reasoning whatsoever. Modern is a format of explosive and powerful cards. BBE is an explosive and powerful card, for sure, but it is not overpowered compared to the format (as evidenced by the fact that it is literally only played in jund), and this banning does not hurt jund significantly, which was its stated purpose.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1695 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 am

Post by mykonian »

reck, half those combinations do not work as you want them to.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1696 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

care to elaborate or are you just going to pull a panzer
green shirt thursdays
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1697 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:28 am

Post by mykonian »

I was kinda looking to pull a panzer. I won't pretend to be an expert, but there are a couple of things that do not make sense. Like:

reck wrote:Rakdos plays down all their unleashed creatures and suicides them into the opponent's face, while Orzhov's big bootied defenders with extort hold the lines.

Doesn't make sense in any way. Rakdos is flat out aggressive, generally aggro, has a couple of ways to play midrange. Orzhov is pretty obviously a more controlling guild. What you are saying here is that if your Rakdos plan to destroy your opponent fails, you still have a backup in your orzhov cards who you hope will pull your over the finish line. But will you be happy pulling an orzhov card while you are busy winning in tempo against your opponent when using your rakdos cards? I think not. Orzhov doesn't mind giving up tempo, it knows the longer the game goes, the better it is for them. Rakdos does mind. Against nearly every guild, rakdos runs out of steam. Tempo is everything.

Playing these two, on both gameplans, is just going to make both gameplans weaker. You either want to use orzhof cards which can support the rakdos aggression, or the rakdos cards which might help orzhov stall, but I really doubt you can play both sides here.

reck wrote:Both scavenge & bloodrush play into making your creatures bigger and beefier.

"they do the same thing so they must synergize" is simply not what synergizing means. Playing gruul has it's disadvantages. Yes you are big, yes have more combat tricks then the rest of the guilds, but you have your weaknesses in giving up board presence using bloodrush and a very large susceptability to removal, more then other guilds. More then any other guild, you put your eggs in one basket. Golgari benefits somewhat from you having creatures (in general) in your graveyard, grisly salvage is more then ever a huge card, but not the fact that it can scavenge. Scavenge is the one thing gruul doesn't need. They are already big. Where you want scavenge is in a guild that has ways to abuse that their creatures suddenly are strong while they aren't supposed to be. This works, but not the way you want it to.

And now you know why I didn't want to type that out. Because I sound like a dick :)
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1698 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

#1 rakdos players run into a problem of "oh fuck all my low drop creatures are gone, what do i do with all this mana" and extort is a free mana-sink with able defenders, meaning you don't have to be afraid to unleash your creatures and have no blockers to defend with as well

#2 i didn't mean that they both do the same thing so they both synergize, but Golgari had a focus on making unfavorable swings to get a scavenge guy into your graveyard...so now, combat is: either block the scavenge guy and his flier/whatever gets huge, or don't block the scavenge guy and that 2/2 suddenly becomes a 7/6. And Grisly Salvage really isn't that good unless you go dedicated scavenge.
green shirt thursdays
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1699 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Post by kdowns »