Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #1525 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 am

Post by Fate »

its on the last page LLD

hexproof has its counters, supreme verdict and shit still kill it

WHERE ARE THE COUNTERS TO CHEAP ASS INFINITE BOUNECS/COUNTERS/DETAINS HUH?
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1526 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

hexproof
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1527 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:47 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

alternatively kicking their deck in the nads and them watching them fail to actually do anything.

Cards like this, this, this or this are all great for making complicated decks completely fall apart.

The one deck I actually still own is built around Bloodbond March, it laughs at bounce, kill and counters.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1528 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 am

Post by kdowns »

Fucking Enchantment decks...
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1529 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:46 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1524, Thestatusquo wrote:Good. Hexproof is like the biggest design flaw of magic as it is currently printed, and it certainly the most non-interactive and unfun mechanic.

Annihilator was also pretty terrible
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1530 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:36 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

You could interact with that ability pretty easily, though, and the cards you couldn't really interact with that well cost 3000000 mana.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1531 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Post by GreyICE »

what

Urza saga "untap X lands when you cast this"

Was downright worst mechanic ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. There is no card printed with that mechanic that does NOT make me want to rip the damn card apart and pee on it.

Gave us winners like Frantic Search (best example of a card that is fundamentally unfair even though it's weak ever, maybe except Lotus Petal), Treachery, Time Spiral, Palinchron, etc.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1532 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Comes into Play borders on unfair, too- I don't mind creatures having powerful abilities, because usually, you at least have the option of removing the creature before it becomes an issue. Come into Play abilities don't have that option, unless you're in blue- and there are some many ways to recycle that ability that it can rack up an advantage the opponent can't stop.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1533 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Gradual advantages are almost always fair. I have a tough time thinking of a comes-into-play mechanic that was inherently broken except Palinchron (even Worldeater dragon wasn't about what happened when it came into play). Chunking out the game with expensive incremental advantages is usually fun.

Now on-cast mechanics can be absurd. Bloodbraid elf?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1534 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 1533, GreyICE wrote:Gradual advantages are almost always fair. I have a tough time thinking of a comes-into-play mechanic that was inherently broken except Palinchron (even Worldeater dragon wasn't about what happened when it came into play). Chunking out the game with expensive incremental advantages is usually fun.

Primeval titan, in the context of valakut, had a pretty unfair citp ability, it was really close to just being 'I win the game'.

Edit: I think Planeswalkers kind of ruined that subset of creature that was very powerful, kind of expensive, but did nothing right away. Planeswalkers tend to be comparably difficult to answer, but can all do something the turn they come down. Thats why most creatures these days either cost 1-2 mana, or have some immediate effect on the board in the 3+ spot (be that through haste or a citp ability).
Taking a break from the site.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1535 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

No cip ability was horribly broken on its own. It was always about the fact that they combine better and combs more easily than they seem in a vacuum. It doesn't help when Wizards compounds it with blink.

On cast has that potential, too, except that there aren't many good cards yet with good on cast abilities, outside of the elf. So far, the rest is either too overcosted, or too random.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1536 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1534, chamber wrote:
In post 1533, GreyICE wrote:Gradual advantages are almost always fair. I have a tough time thinking of a comes-into-play mechanic that was inherently broken except Palinchron (even Worldeater dragon wasn't about what happened when it came into play). Chunking out the game with expensive incremental advantages is usually fun.

Primeval titan, in the context of valakut, had a pretty unfair citp ability, it was really close to just being 'I win the game'.

Yeah, that's exactly what I' m talking about. Calamity on its own isn't too bad, but the way it combines with stuff like Titan and Scapeshift illustrates my point. And now we've got Thrag, Huntmaster, and Resto in standard.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1537 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Edit: I think Planeswalkers kind of ruined that subset of creature that was very powerful, kind of expensive, but did nothing right away. Planeswalkers tend to be comparably difficult to answer, but can all do something the turn they come down. Thats why most creatures these days either cost 1-2 mana, or have some immediate effect on the board in the 3+ spot (be that through haste or a citp ability).

Fair enough, but 6 mana cards follow different rules, thanks to the 5/6 dichotomy.

Anyway, I don't think the category of 'expensive creatures that take a while to work' was never one that was truly tournament viable. The closest I remember was Akroma, and she was mostly just to seal the game up (and did something when she came down anyway). Other than that, most expensive things have always needed to do things immediately at the tournament level.

It's one of the reasons planeswalkers were made, beyond the marketing/theme. The design space for incremental advantages were artifacts/enchantments, and those really lacked counterplay (playing W/G or W/G/R? No? Have a counter? No? Sucks to be you).
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1538 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 1537, GreyICE wrote:

Fair enough, but 6 mana cards follow different rules, thanks to the 5/6 dichotomy.

Anyway, I don't think the category of 'expensive creatures that take a while to work' was never one that was truly tournament viable. The closest I remember was Akroma, and she was mostly just to seal the game up (and did something when she came down anyway). Other than that, most expensive things have always needed to do things immediately at the tournament level.

It's one of the reasons planeswalkers were made, beyond the marketing/theme. The design space for incremental advantages were artifacts/enchantments, and those really lacked counterplay (playing W/G or W/G/R? No? Have a counter? No? Sucks to be you).

Expensive is a relative term, there always was a point that was too expensive, I think that point has come down considerably over the time I've been playing.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1539 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Actually it's gone up then down. Used to be any win condition that cost more than 3, or maybe 4, was practically pointless.

Rose to Akroma, and the rise of the hyper expensive cards, and then dropped down again.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1540 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, how expensive a card should be to be balanced always depends on the surrounding environment. My main issue with the game is the speed of it- it feels very much like games either end quickly, or stretch to eternity, with little in the way of middle ground.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1541 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 1540, Sudo_Nym wrote:Well, how expensive a card should be to be balanced always depends on the surrounding environment. My main issue with the game is the speed of it- it feels very much like games either end quickly, or stretch to eternity, with little in the way of middle ground.

Well it's also balanced around the math of the game (7 card starting hand, 1 card per turn (yes p/d). With this math, at 24 cards, you can expect to reach ~5 mana on turn 5 without acceleration.

6 mana cards have a higher threshold because 6 mana basically requires acceleration or card draw (resources invested) to come out before around turn 8, and because turn 6-8 is way late. Due to this you'll notice a HUGE threshold between what makes a playable 5 and what makes a playable 6.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1542 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Friend and I found a hilarious bug in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 today.
We were playing Planechase and were at this plane.

Instead of working correctly, the chaos ability triggered for every non-planeswalk roll of the planar die. You can imagine the results.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1543 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 1541, GreyICE wrote:
In post 1540, Sudo_Nym wrote:Well, how expensive a card should be to be balanced always depends on the surrounding environment. My main issue with the game is the speed of it- it feels very much like games either end quickly, or stretch to eternity, with little in the way of middle ground.

Well it's also balanced around the math of the game (7 card starting hand, 1 card per turn (yes p/d). With this math, at 24 cards, you can expect to reach ~5 mana on turn 5 without acceleration.

6 mana cards have a higher threshold because 6 mana basically requires acceleration or card draw (resources invested) to come out before around turn 8, and because turn 6-8 is way late. Due to this you'll notice a HUGE threshold between what makes a playable 5 and what makes a playable 6.

I haven't done the math right now (and don't care to) But based in my memory of an article I read on this, 5 drops don't typically hit until turn 6 with 24 mana sources out of a 60 card deck, with 1 draw a turn. (math that's too simplistic has needing 5/24ths your decks mana, which should work out to 12.5 cards proportionally, which is turn 5.5 on the draw, and turn 6.5 on the play
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1544 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 1543, chamber wrote:
In post 1541, GreyICE wrote:

I haven't done the math right now (and don't care to) But based in my memory of an article I read on this, 5 drops don't typically hit until turn 6 with 24 mana sources out of a 60 card deck, with 1 draw a turn. (math that's too simplistic has needing 5/24ths your decks mana, which should work out to 12.5 cards proportionally, which is turn 5.5 on the draw, and turn 6.5 on the play

Sure, but the good part is that if you don't have 5 mana, you probably have something that's not a 5 drop to play. It's why most standard aggro decks top out with ~3-5 5 drops.

Very rarely does an aggro deck run a 6. Only ones I can think of are mono-red things, or ones where they're cheating a bit on mana/curve/draws. Even midrange decks don't like them much.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1545 (ISO) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Post by Nuwen »

drafted an angel of serenity!
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1546 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Post by Fate »

I think Knights of Infamy+Stonewright on a Hellholeflailer and saccing it is my new favorite kill combo

mainly because I thought of it myself and it goes through bullshits deliverance
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1547 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

For anyone who plays online and is fairly serious, MTGO PTQ is tomorrow morning at 7am Pacific.

RTR Sealed, 30 tix.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1548 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

30 tix, ew
green shirt thursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1549 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

The prize support is fantastic. Shrug. Winner gets a PT invite and 1000$, essentially and a complete foil set. Second gets a complete non-foil set. Then prizes down to 200th place or so. Shrug.

It's not more expensive than any other important paper sealed event.

Return to “The Arcade”