The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9875 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Post by Klazam »

I didnt count you.

I was thinking jmj and maestro
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #9876 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Post by Maestro »

Heh
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #9877 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Post by Chevre »

...the map is mined out? UM...

You guys know I have not strayed too far away from Spawntown. I mine within 1000 blocks of the origin, at level 11 where ores are most prolific, and only occasionally do I run into other mineshafts. Sure I guess if you want Emerald ore, but a) It's super rare, b) emerald ore itself isn't terribly pretty in my opinion, and c) don't we have some for sale right now?

Don't say there aren't nice places to build either. There is plenty of blank land within 1000 blocks. It wasn't too hard at all. for me to find a new site for a house.

I don't mean to single out Klazam, but look at his play so far. He has been a member of this server much less than me and look at all the niceties he has. Honeyopolis and Ourathanos are amazing, because he put TIME into it. A regenerate is not going to make all the community members magically rolling in the diamonds. It's going to reward people like Maru and Klazam who are passionate about this game, while setting more minor players who only a play a little at a time back. I'm not saying any of this is a bad thing; such is the nature of the game and I like that.

I don't know what this seniority thing means, by the way. Like it has been said, time in the community is not an accurate measurement of "worth" to the community. me and jmj are two of the oldest community members, but I know many others are on more than me and I rarely see jmj online when I'm online.

Hiraki has a point about SpawnTown. Remember that huge "West Spawntown we created? I believe the only things built there are my small bungalow and Klazam's entry in Maestro's christmas contest. I guess since it used to be a forest it's a nice place to find wolves to tame? Everytime I've been in SpawnTown recently I haven't seen a soul.

Ultimately what IS wrong with leaving things as they are? I want people with issues about the status quo to speak up.
Last edited by Chevre on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9878 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Post by Maestro »

Good posting is good. All hail the Empress.

(Also, about that holiday contest, if Klaz/another interested party would be kind enough to quote my OP on the subject, it'd be much appreciated. The deadline is still extended till this Saturday so I'd love it if others could join in...)
Last edited by Maestro on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9879 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 8598, Maestro wrote:
Announcing Maestro's "
H
a
p
p
y
H
o
l
i
d
a
y
s
" Building Contest!

Wanna show the server that beautiful Christmas Nativity Scene you had planned in your SSP world?
Eager to build that massive solid-wood Dreidel you've always wanted but need an extra excuse?
How about that Christmas Tree House of your dreams?! Or a maze in the shape of a Menorah?!?

Everything is within limits for Maestro's December Holiday-themed Building Contest! Entries will be judged on January 1st, 2013 (or whenever I have time shortly after that) but I will be enlisting OP assistance to check CoreProtect logs and make sure you ever-eager beavers aren't building after the deadline. I will announce the winner, a second-place finisher, and a third-place finisher, and each will receive the prizes listed at the bottom of this page. Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns, but here's hoping we can get the whole server in the Holiday Spirit!

Entries must be no larger than 50x50x50 Blocks and must be themed for any of the following Holiday(s):
Advent/Christmas Eve/Christmas, Chanukah/Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Boxing Day, Omisoka/New Year's Eve

Spoiler: Grand Prize:
1 Beacon Block, 3 Diamond Blocks, 1 Emerald Block, 6 Cakes, 32 Red Wool, 32 Lime Green Wool, 64 Spruce Saplings

Spoiler: Second Place:
1 Diamond Block, 6 Cakes, 32 Red Wool, 32 Lime Green Wool, 64 Spruce Saplings

Spoiler: Third Place:
6 Cakes, 32 Red Wool, 32 Lime Green Wool, 64 Spruce Saplings

Good luck! Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving, and
H
a
p
p
y
H
o
l
i
d
a
y
s
all!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9880 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Post by Maestro »

Thanks, bra.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9881 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Post by Klazam »

Upon reflection, i decided that my plans does not truly qualify as a maze. it is more of a parkour course. I could make a maze out of it, but that'd take away the enjoyment of it.

I still would like to have the prize be a command block if its possible. Izak, Maru- what do you guys think?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9882 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Post by Maestro »

Well only OP's in Creative can place/activate command blocks, so I'm wondering what exactly they'd be used for...?
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9883 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 9873, Klazam wrote:I propose the prize be 1 placed command block with a customized command (as long as its reasonable, judged by the op)
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #9884 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 9877, Chevre wrote:It's going to reward people like Maru and Klazam who are passionate about this game, while setting more minor players who only a play a little at a time back. I'm not saying any of this is a bad thing; such is the nature of the game and I like that.

this pretty much sums it up, and sums up the answer to the question whoever asked me as to why i want it asked me.

for more-passionate players, starting fresh is a new adventure, and thats p much the whole reason. The game has lost its challenge.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9885 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 9882, Maestro wrote:Well only OP's in Creative can place/activate command blocks, so I'm wondering what exactly they'd be used for...?

place yes activate no.

i was under the impression they reacted with redstone
Show
Join Now!

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9886 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Post by Klazam »

what he means is to put commands in them.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9887 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Post by Klazam »

so whaddya say?
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9888 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Post by Hiraki »

So then why do you need to reset the server? Again--we're back at the notion of why can't we just make Spawntown 2 on random island and set up a warp and leave a nice sign at spawn that says "here's spawntown 1 but here's how to get to spawntown 2"

what it sounds like is that you guys just want to be in a competitive environment for resources and making the coolest home

we really don't need to regenerate the server to do that
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9889 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Post by Rob14 »

In post 9884, Maruchan wrote:for more-passionate players, starting fresh is a new adventure, and thats p much the whole reason. The game has lost its challenge.

If that's the main goal, why not just walk off into the woods with nothing and start over? Take a boat to a far away island and you've achieved your goal.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9890 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 9889, Rob14 wrote:
In post 9884, Maruchan wrote:for more-passionate players, starting fresh is a new adventure, and thats p much the whole reason. The game has lost its challenge.

If that's the main goal, why not just walk off into the woods with nothing and start over? Take a boat to a far away island and you've achieved your goal.

sigh.

nevermind, you guys don't understand. klaz gets me, and i cba to attempt to explain it.

its not the same thing, thats all
Show
Join Now!

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9891 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Post by Klazam »

Yeah, the knowledge pf all your old stuff makes this game a bit different than starting fresh, but i have to admit, im firmly on the no regen camp now... All the reasons given are very valid.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9892 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Post by Maestro »

^ Agreed, but I think I understand Maruchan as well, and I completely disagree with the way Hiraki thinks we want to play this game.

We're not being competitive with our resource-gathering and construction. Just in case anybody's offended by this, I mean no offense, but I don't really play this game to say "look how many diamonds I have" or "look at my awesome house". I don't need approval from anybody else to validate how I play. We all post fun pictures of our travels now and then, of what we build and what we find (and granted I posted a lot back in the first month or so when I got excited a lot while mining) but I play this game to fulfill my own goals and objectives, which are constantly changing and evolving. I don't play it to be competitive with Klaz or Maru or izak or Xalxe or Hiraki or any of you, and I don't play it to gain your approval, as much as I respect you both in-game and out.

What I've been feeling recently with Minecraft and the problem I think Maruchan is trying to address is that no matter how much shit you mine, and no matter what you build, you're always going to come out of it with a sort of drive to want to do more. That's natural in life, and it's natural in Minecraft. His argument (correct me if I'm wrong) is that with a full or partial reset one could potentially reshape one's goals and objectives in the game from the very beginning, starting with "HOLY FUCK I NEED THAT 4-BLOCK SQUARE THING THAT PROTECTS FROM SCARY NIGHTS WITHOUT TORCHES HALP ME" to "FIRST DIAMOND PICKAXE ALRIGHT BABY" - and as Klazam said that kind of thing is somewhat stunted when you know you have several maximally-enchanted Diamond Pickaxes sitting at home just a tp away.

Hope I hit on at least some of what Maru and Klaz are thinking, and hoping that clarifies for those don't/can't/won't understand.
All that being said, yeah it looks like no regen is the way to go. Like so many other issues as of late, the community's to divided to validate doing any of the other options except "doing nothing".
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9893 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 9892, Maestro wrote:^ Agreed, but I think I understand Maruchan as well, and I completely disagree with the way Hiraki thinks we want to play this game.

We're not being competitive with our resource-gathering and construction. Just in case anybody's offended by this, I mean no offense, but I don't really play this game to say "look how many diamonds I have" or "look at my awesome house". I don't need approval from anybody else to validate how I play. We all post fun pictures of our travels now and then, of what we build and what we find (and granted I posted a lot back in the first month or so when I got excited a lot while mining) but I play this game to fulfill my own goals and objectives, which are constantly changing and evolving. I don't play it to be competitive with Klaz or Maru or izak or Xalxe or Hiraki or any of you, and I don't play it to gain your approval, as much as I respect you both in-game and out.

What I've been feeling recently with Minecraft and the problem I think Maruchan is trying to address is that no matter how much shit you mine, and no matter what you build, you're always going to come out of it with a sort of drive to want to do more. That's natural in life, and it's natural in Minecraft. His argument (correct me if I'm wrong) is that with a full or partial reset one could potentially reshape one's goals and objectives in the game from the very beginning, starting with "HOLY FUCK I NEED THAT 4-BLOCK SQUARE THING THAT PROTECTS FROM SCARY NIGHTS WITHOUT TORCHES HALP ME" to "FIRST DIAMOND PICKAXE ALRIGHT BABY" - and as Klazam said that kind of thing is somewhat stunted when you know you have several maximally-enchanted Diamond Pickaxes sitting at home just a tp away.

Hope I hit on at least some of what Maru and Klaz are thinking, and hoping that clarifies for those don't/can't/won't understand.
All that being said, yeah it looks like no regen is the way to go. Like so many other issues as of late, the community's to divided to validate doing any of the other options except "doing nothing".

^^^^^^^^^ p much
I don't have several
16 of each
god-level enchant pickaxe/shovel/axes at home, wuuuut?
Show
Join Now!

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9894 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

In post 9888, Hiraki wrote:So then why do you need to reset the server? Again--we're back at the notion of why can't we just make Spawntown 2 on random island and set up a warp and leave a nice sign at spawn that says "here's spawntown 1 but here's how to get to spawntown 2"

what it sounds like is that you guys just want to be in a competitive environment for resources and making the coolest home

we really don't need to regenerate the server to do that

personally, my home is pretty cool anyway. :P I'd love the new update though.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #9895 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Post by Chevre »

I think the point all of us are stuck on, or at least me, is why a person looking for a fresh start couldn't start fresh in a faraway land.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9896 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

^adding to that, I play on this server for the community. If I want a fresh start on minecraft, I'll do SSP. If I want a challenge, I'll do hardcore. I do, however, strive to make my house better. But that's just a personal challenge. :)
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9897 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Maestro wrote:His argument (correct me if I'm wrong) is that with a full or partial reset one could potentially reshape one's goals and objectives in the game from the very beginning, starting with "HOLY FUCK I NEED THAT 4-BLOCK SQUARE THING THAT PROTECTS FROM SCARY NIGHTS WITHOUT TORCHES HALP ME" to "FIRST DIAMOND PICKAXE ALRIGHT BABY" - and as Klazam said that kind of thing is somewhat stunted when you know you have several maximally-enchanted Diamond Pickaxes sitting at home just a tp away.
it literally takes at most 3 hours to get a house and tools to protect someone

regenning the server isn't needed for this either

you could just make a new house in a unestablished area with no tools

regeneration is definitely not needed for any of these things
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9898 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Post by Maruchan »

you guys are missing the last line of the paragraph you're quoting.
Show
Join Now!

Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9899 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

The reason I wanted a regen is just for the new update ...
You Are Worth It

Return to “The Arcade”