Newbie Setup (Matrix6 implemented)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:35 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 204, Tierce wrote:
In post 173, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 172, quadz08 wrote:Granted, not all mods are supergood at that unwritten rule (coughbuttonscough) but that's the general idea.

Aha; that used to be the written rule, but VRK changed it in 2009 to make it easier to find replacements. At any point in the game, you should replace Newbies with Newbies unless no one is available for an unreasonable period of time.
If that is an 'unwritten rule' and it's
expressly
stated that players with any level of experience can replace into Newbie slots, don't expect newer mods to know.
I'm failing my Advanced MafiaScum History class.
I understand the interest of wanting to keep a similar level of play in a slot (in Newbie games and in any other game, really), but I prefer to go for the first person who contacts me and fits the experience requirements. Altogether, filling slots "first come, first serve" seems less disruptive for the game from a mod perspective than waiting a longer period for a potential newbie replacement.

What I'm trying to politely say is that I have NO IDEA why VRK changed it in 2009. It's a bad change and it leads to the inevitable migration of slot-ratio away from what the game is designed/aimed at.
Retired as of October 2014.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:45 am

Post by zoraster »

that seems okay. the biggest part of newbie games is to get newbies playing and give them an environment where it's OKAY to be a newbie sometimes compared to the fairly ruthless world outside. Ratios, ICs, etc. just are gravy. More frequent games with active players is just more important, full stop.
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Post by diginova »

In post 226, zoraster wrote:that seems okay. the biggest part of newbie games is to get newbies playing and give them an environment where it's OKAY to be a newbie sometimes compared to the fairly ruthless world outside. Ratios, ICs, etc. just are gravy. More frequent games with active players is just more important, full stop.

Agreed. I referred a player to the site a year ago when I was previously active, and they gave up when it took more than two weeks to get a game going once they /inned.
Holding a full newbie game in the queue waiting for replacements for others seems like the complete wrong idea... there are a lot of people elsewhere on the forum / new newbies signing up who will be more than willing replace people if necessary.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:48 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 225, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 204, Tierce wrote:
In post 173, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 172, quadz08 wrote:Granted, not all mods are supergood at that unwritten rule (coughbuttonscough) but that's the general idea.

Aha; that used to be the written rule, but VRK changed it in 2009 to make it easier to find replacements. At any point in the game, you should replace Newbies with Newbies unless no one is available for an unreasonable period of time.
If that is an 'unwritten rule' and it's
expressly
stated that players with any level of experience can replace into Newbie slots, don't expect newer mods to know.
I'm failing my Advanced MafiaScum History class.
I understand the interest of wanting to keep a similar level of play in a slot (in Newbie games and in any other game, really), but I prefer to go for the first person who contacts me and fits the experience requirements. Altogether, filling slots "first come, first serve" seems less disruptive for the game from a mod perspective than waiting a longer period for a potential newbie replacement.

What I'm trying to politely say is that I have NO IDEA why VRK changed it in 2009. It's a bad change and it leads to the inevitable migration of slot-ratio away from what the game is designed/aimed at.

My thought would be that keeping the game moving is more important than retaining the ratio, especially if the game stalling drives away the newbies who have stuck the game out to that point. Mind you if you have multiple pms to replace into a newbie slot, you should probably give it to the first newbie who pms you as opposed to the SE/IC who pmed you before the newbies.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Right. We need a 'standard' for how long to wait (I'd say 24 hours is plenty, if you're on top of your replacement needs), but all things being equal, like should replace like.

singer??
Zoidberg
Zoidberg
Mafia Scum
Zoidberg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Post by Zoidberg »

This thread's sort of drifted off-topic.

Seems to me like queue mechanics are secondary/deserve a thread of their own/are up to the listmod.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:30 am

Post by Venmar »

Why not make the setup(s) closed? Has this been considered or is ir just too hard for newbies, or does it just not work?
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:48 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Closed would essentially be an even larger Semi-Open, since balance is such a fiddly thing at 9p.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:26 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I'd actually say the major issue at 9p is swing. Getting the setup to within the vicinity of balance isn't too hard, but you're sorely constrained in what you can do without making the game likely to become townsided or scumsided pretty early. (As an example, even Cop + 6 VT + 2 Goon, which is a reasonably balanced setup, is pretty swingy; if the cop survives to day 3, town still have a pretty high chance of winning even despite having mislynched twice, and if they die night 1, it's mountainous.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:52 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Absolutely agree (I never "learned" to separate swinginess from overall balance).
CityElectric
CityElectric
Goon
CityElectric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 am

Post by CityElectric »

In post 233, callforjudgement wrote:I'd actually say the major issue at 9p is swing. Getting the setup to within the vicinity of balance isn't too hard, but you're sorely constrained in what you can do without making the game likely to become townsided or scumsided pretty early. (As an example, even Cop + 6 VT + 2 Goon, which is a reasonably balanced setup, is pretty swingy; if the cop survives to day 3, town still have a pretty high chance of winning even despite having mislynched twice, and if they die night 1, it's mountainous.)

This. I found JK to be a pretty swingy role, to be honest. Once one of the scum is killed, a JK becomes a Cop, RB and doc at once.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 am

Yeah, JK's even worse than Cop in the swing stakes.

(Doctor is the least swingy role commonly seen in newbie games, but it's also easily the least powerful.)
scum
town
CityElectric
CityElectric
Goon
CityElectric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 am

Post by CityElectric »

I think the more powerful a PR is, the more chance it is to be swingy. I don't dislike the 2of4 setup (although my win rate playing it is absolutely terrible), but if there was to be made a change to the setup, it shouldn't contain a JK. Then again, I've never actually designed a setup myself, and I know nothing about balance.
greygnarl
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:48 am

Post by greygnarl »

I think you guys hsoul duse Crush Nightless, my new favorite setup. /notserious
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:09 am

Post by Majiffy »

I'd like to see newbie games push heavily towards teaching scumhunting a bit better and less on relying on PRs and "Sheep/Kill the IC"

Godfather + Goon v Cop, Doc, 2 VT and 3 Millers, with Millers flipping on lynch as "Mafia Goon" and their role PMs saying they're just a VT.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 am

So you'd kill any sort of connection hunting in order to teach scumhunting better?

Also, that setup is scumsided. The Cop doesn't really do anything useful (except confirm a small subset of the townies if the Godfather dies), so you have Doctor + 6 VT against two Goon, and that setup is definitely scumsided. And on top of that, you have unreliable flips!
scum
town
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 am

Post by Majiffy »

The cop actually does plenty, you just have to play the cop properly and hold your cards close to your chest until LYLO.

That setup used to get a good 60% town win ratio on EM before the whole site went to hell.

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:23 am

Post by zoraster »

i don't believe that.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:58 am

Post by Magua »

The EM setup required Cop to claim D1, and IIRC, allowed whispers (private communication) between players so that an uncc'ed Cop would then get Doctor claims (it's been a long time, so may be misremembering on that one). Godfather traditionally cc'ed Doctor, again IIRC.

PR claimage D1 is not something we want to encourage here; unreliable flips (death millers) are likewise not the meta we want to encourage.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 243, Magua wrote:The EM setup required Cop to claim D1, and IIRC, allowed whispers (private communication) between players so that an uncc'ed Cop would then get Doctor claims (it's been a long time, so may be misremembering on that one). Godfather traditionally cc'ed Doctor, again IIRC.

PR claimage D1 is not something we want to encourage here; unreliable flips (death millers) are likewise not the meta we want to encourage.

There were two versions; one had whispers and the other didn't. The one with whispers sucked because then it just turned into 50/50 lynching raw with maybe a chance at VCA near the end.

||
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Post by Majiffy »

And as it stands, cop claiming D1 in a whisperless version is sub-optimal cop play.

||
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Miller in NG is a terribad idea.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 246, Mr. Flay wrote:Miller in NG is a terribad idea.

Yeah. I don't think introducing anything remotely bastard into a newbie game is a good idea. (I don't think miller is itself bastard, but you get my point—you don't want misleading roles in a newbie. I don't even think it's considered normal.)
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

The Wiki says it's normal. It's exactly a town version of Godfather.

But still probably not something we should be putting into newbie setups.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Yeah, I think the real problem is that it punishes scumhunting, not something we want to encourage in Newbie Games.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”