Newbie Setup (Matrix6 implemented)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:33 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

Newbie Games aren't about fun. THEY'RE FOR LEARNING DAMMIT
To be clear: quack
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:35 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 148, SleepyKrew wrote:
In post 146, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:I just don't know what the problem we're supposed to be fixing here is; which makes a solution rather hard to find. I mean Mr. Flay started this thread with an assumption of change being needed but why?

More balanced Newbie Games.

Except the numbers that were posted in the latest update shows that the balance (win %) was pretty good; certainly within allowable tolerances and having the list mod hand out setups would solve the issue of imbalanced setup selection.

Now fun is a legitimate issue, but besides it being incredibly subjective if that's the issue where are/were the complaints coming from? Clearly we don't have a shortage of SEs and looking at the list it doesn't appear we have a shortage of ICs either so it seems that most consider the setup acceptable enough not to drive them away from the queue.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 am

Post by zoraster »

The only true statistic I care about with newbie games is the conversation statistic. In other words, how many players who play in a newbie game are here 6 months later actively playing the game?

Fun, balance, etc. all indirectly affect that, I think. So that's why those are important.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

3D, the overall percentage was good, but the actual setups themselves were the problem.
To be clear: quack
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 153, SleepyKrew wrote:3D, the overall percentage was good, but the actual setups themselves were the problem.

Except the only setup that was significantly different from a .5 win perecentage was Doc/VT and even that wasn't as bad as you'd expect because if town wins the next Doc/VT game it wouldn't meet the typical threshold for statistical significance any more either (that's not to say it's balanced but that it's still a small sample size with a fair amount of volitility).

In post 152, zoraster wrote:The only true statistic I care about with newbie games is the conversation statistic. In other words, how many players who play in a newbie game are here 6 months later actively playing the game?

Fun, balance, etc. all indirectly affect that, I think. So that's why those are important.

If this is the prime mover than I think the biggest issue is the delay between sign-ups and games starting due to games being batch started as momentum seems to be particularly important for new players and not anything related to the games themselves.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:17 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

I volunteer to test the newbie setups
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The reason to have a balanced setup is that playing in an unbalanced setup isn't as fun (especially if it's won by the side it's unbalanced in favour of, which mathematically most of the time it will be).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 149, TheButtonmen wrote:Balance is cool and all but it's secondary to fun.
Great, then let's can 2of4 and go back to F11, since it's a whole heck of a lot more fun than 2of4 is!

:roll:
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 154, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:If this is the prime mover than I think the biggest issue is the delay between sign-ups and games starting due to games being batch started as momentum seems to be particularly important for new players and not anything related to the games themselves.

I could not agree more:

In post 108, zoraster wrote:Why
ARE
newbie games started in batches? the most important thing for newbie games is to get them going ASAP. A normal player will wait around, but newbies are momentum driven.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

In post 154, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Except the only setup that was significantly different from a .5 win perecentage was Doc/VT and even that wasn't as bad as you'd expect because if town wins the next Doc/VT game it wouldn't meet the typical threshold for statistical significance any more either (that's not to say it's balanced but that it's still a small sample size with a fair amount of volitility).

If it's statistically significant and it matches what is kind of an obvious conclusion to begin with, then small sample size is not big that an issue.

I think giving the townies as little power as Doc/VT to work with some proportion of the time is suboptimal for a whole host of reasons but the other issue with 2of4 is that the Doc/JK set-up occasionally turns awkward. I've played in 2of4s with 0 kills over 4 Nights and 1 kill over 6 Nights (with scum fake claiming doc instead of there being one in the latter) and that's not really a thing we want in Newbies.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:59 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I enjoyed the town loss that happened when I played in a doc/vt setup, probably not so much had the mafia remembered to submit their kill night 2, but figuring out the scum there was good.
Though the only other two newbie slots that weren't replaced were lynched on the first two days, so I don't know what their enjoyment levels were. (and part way though the game I technically became am SE)
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Hume
Hume
Townie
Hume
Townie
Townie

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 am

Post by Hume »

As a newbie, would my opinion be at all valuable here? I just completed first mafia game on this site a few days back, and have only played maybe 3-4 mafia games on other sites, so a newbie in every sense. I quite like the semi-open format - the mafia games I used to play prior to this site were open format and just tended to devolve into role claims and a competition of "who can more credibly pretend to be the cop"; it wasn't very fun. The main thing I dislike about the current format is the pace. I was used to 2/3 day Days - going to 3 week days seemed nuts, it just drags on. The other thing was why are Newbie games done in batches? You can end up waiting almost 2 weeks? That's enough time to lose a lot of people. And a final point is, the more power roles the better. People are smarter than they get given credit for, and they can usually work out the optimal or at least half decent play for their role fairly quickly, plus it gives them incentive to play. Nobody wants to be Vanilla Townie if they can help it.

Anyway. Probably an entirely unwanted opinion, but my £0.02. :)
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

2 Town PRs in a 9 player game is a fairly representative, I think, so that's not something we'd be aiming to change. Pace is fairly variable although 2/3 day Days is not really something we go for; this does stress the importance of avoiding set-ups like Doc/JK that can get bogged down in PR interactions.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:59 am

Post by Vi »

In post 161, Hume wrote:As a newbie, would my opinion be at all valuable here? I just completed first mafia game on this site a few days back, and have only played maybe 3-4 mafia games on other sites, so a newbie in every sense. I quite like the semi-open format - the mafia games I used to play prior to this site were open format and just tended to devolve into role claims and a competition of "who can more credibly pretend to be the cop"; it wasn't very fun. The main thing I dislike about the current format is the pace. I was used to 2/3 day Days - going to 3 week days seemed nuts, it just drags on. The other thing was why are Newbie games done in batches? You can end up waiting almost 2 weeks? That's enough time to lose a lot of people. And a final point is, the more power roles the better. People are smarter than they get given credit for, and they can usually work out the optimal or at least half decent play for their role fairly quickly, plus it gives them incentive to play. Nobody wants to be Vanilla Townie if they can help it.

Anyway. Probably an entirely unwanted opinion, but my £0.02. :)
Some thoughts for you -
1) Semi-Open is cool! Cooler than Opens, anyway.
2) Pace - Newbie games are, bar none, the slowest games on the site. If you know how to play Mafia, I legitimately suggest you move to a different queue.
3) Power roles aplenty - Actually, there are a fair few people who
want
to be V.Townie. It's also tougher to balance games when they turn into power-role fests; it's not so much a function of people not using their role properly.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Post by Faraday »

3 week days are a lot alright. The batch question is interesting. Is it just ease for the listmod? It seems like it's always been like that, it just seems weird.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Post by Timeater »

1) Semi-Open is cool! Cooler than Opens, anyway.

blasphemy
watch for the eggshells
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I did batches as NGLM because signups were that fast, or I wouldn't get to the thread before more than one game was full. I have no idea why singer is batching them at the current pace.
Retired as of October 2014.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Post by quadz08 »

Lots of things happening lately, is the biggest part of it. No internet at the house atm, so she can't check regularly.

Plus, I think VRK advised that she leave a certain number of newbies in the queue at any time so mods can pick up newbies to replace flakers?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Mehdi2277
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Post by Mehdi2277 »

With the size of the SE list I have a feeling whenever a newbie needs to be replaced someone will replace them quickly.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Post by quadz08 »

The way the newbie queue works is that if a newbie doesn't pick up a role PM at the start of the game, the mod automatically pulls the next newbie on the list. That's what I was referring to.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Yeah, and at any point in the game, you should replace Newbies with Newbies unless no one is available for an unreasonable period of time.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Post by quadz08 »

^
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Post by quadz08 »

Granted, not all mods are supergood at that unwritten rule (coughbuttonscough) but that's the general idea.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:12 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 172, quadz08 wrote:Granted, not all mods are supergood at that unwritten rule (coughbuttonscough) but that's the general idea.

Aha; that used to be the written rule, but VRK changed it in 2009 to make it easier to find replacements.

Personally I think it was a fine rule (try Newbies first for Newbies, etc), but I'm a grumpy old man. ;)
[/getoffmylawn]
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:16 am

Post by Xalxe »

Hmm. Did not know that was a rule. New policy for Xalxe yay!
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -

Return to “Mafia Discussion”