Wiki Group

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:34 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Obviously. More later, gotta go to work...
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #14 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:10 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

wiki.mafiascum.net has some serious appeal, but failing that /wiki should work fine. Since the old wiki is a flat-file, it should be able to be temporarily moved to /mafiawiki for migration. (That would also avoid JEEP having to recode the tags..)
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:07 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's not out of line for me to take the reins of this thread.

For those who haven't noticed yet, http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/ contains the new version, which utilizes the same MediaWiki software as Wikipedia. It should be much more flexible and powerful than the old wiki. I've been copying pages over informally, but if anyone else wants to help, here's how:
  • The two big pages to compare are on the old wiki and on the new one. All redlinks (okay, not "Comments from...") on the new one should to be filled in before JEEP can flip the code. I've started with relatively "static" pages such as definitions and theory pages, leaving user pages until last.
  • Logging in to the new wiki (which is optional, currently) is a process of signing up under some username you pick (can be the same as your MafiaScum login 98% of the time), not a universal password. We can grant some additional people the ability to delete and move pages if necessary.
  • There's some old discussion about how to implement the new wiki (from about when this thread was formed) at http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... Wiki_Group if you want to read up on that.
  • "Clusters" with the code word at the top are replaced by Categories on Media Wiki. I've set up a bunch of the basic ones, visible at http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... Categories - some of the redlinks are red on purpose while we figure out exactly what to call "Category:Mafia win results in games", for example. I've moved a few of the grouping pages, like Informational Roles, to categories as well. The long text there can be removed once the pages are populated.
  • Another good way to find pages/redirects that need to be written are at http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... antedpages - but most of that will resolve itself as we transfer pages from the old wiki to the new.
  • Most of the wiki syntax remains the same; you may find newlines not always taking effect when you expect them to, and external links (like to the forum) look different, but overall it should be pretty straightforward. Slap a
    {{cleanup}}
    template on the page if you can't figure it out and someone with more MediaWiki skillz will come by eventually I'm sure. :D
  • I'm trying to remove all remaining instances of CamelCase as I go, but I'm sure some will linger on... redirects from the old CamelCase versions don't harm anything and will let old tags work retroactively.
  • Image/file uploads are disabled for now, sorry.
  • Any questions about "Can we do this in MediaWiki?" let me know; I'm not all-knowing but I've recently become an Administrator on Wikipedia and know how to borrow code with the best of them. :P
Anybody still reading by this point...?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

GL: The bald dude in the corner came from the card design thread, where people were posting potential graphics for mafia cards. I'm not sure if mith intended that to be the final design or if we will shift to something else eventually. I'd like to work on getting a subSilver/mafSepia stylesheet working that people could choose, after the heavy lifting is done.

mole, SV, mikehart: That'd be great. It's a wiki, of course, so any redlinks can be filled in by anybody (preferrably with the page from the old wiki if it exists), and
any
mistakes/deletions are easily corrected. Moving over/creating your own user page might be the first step to get some familiarity. There's also http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... ki:Sandbox where you can experiment to your heart's content. I haven't finished rewriting the HowToUseTheWiki page yet, that should probably be
my
next step for all the other folks' benefit...
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #28 (isolation #4) » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:02 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Right, but I'd like to not break all the signature links first... JEEP said he'd have more time to mess with site stuff in the next couple weeks, so it should be an easy switch once our redlinks are filled in.

::edit::
Also, I removed all the blue (done) links from the Transwiki page, to make it easier to see what was left...
Last edited by Mr. Flay on Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #42 (isolation #5) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:46 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Okay, all of the old wiki pages are converted over, except for the AamstadRPG ones and mith can rescue those if it turns out they are still needed. Good work everybody!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #55 (isolation #6) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Category:Open Games? Oh wait, that doesn't exist yet...

We need to sort out game categorization pretty soon I think. You might have noticed that the current gamebox template tries to make categories based on type of game, location, and winner. Problem is it's going to do this (right now) based on what is typed in the Type box, so it might end up trying to do "Category:Open Setup games"; is there a usefulness for a 'subtype', so Open 5 (for example) could be both Open Setup and Switch?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #60 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

are you using raw html tables or the wiki table syntax? The latter can be automatically customized to be 'sleeker', if we haven't already....
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #63 (isolation #8) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:36 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Sorry for asking questions I can answer myself LB, I'm just in three other windows with JEEP on another project. Yeah, there's some default styling that can be done with wikitables, that might make a lot of this easier...maybe tomorrow night, bedtime here now.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #76 (isolation #9) » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:23 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

LyingBrian wrote:another thing to discuss is how we number them... take, for example the Open Games... link: Category:Games_played_in_Little_Italy
i know the page isn't created yet, but it doesn't matter... look at Open 3, it comes after Open 17, which means once we get up to it, it would fall between Open 29 and Open 30... the obvious suggestion would be to name it [[Open_003]] to keep the numbers flowing sequentially... the only problem is once we get to the 1,000th game, we run into the same problem, unless we name it [[Open_0003]], etc. etc.

there may be a simple fix for it that Mr. Flay is hiding from us, but i just thought i would bring it up
Sorry, I didn't see this before.

If we sort categories with the pipe feature (|) they can show up however we want on the category page. I'd suggest something like:

Code: Select all

[[Category:Open Games|Open 002]]
or just
[[Category:Open Games|002]]
The first will sort them all under "O", but in the correct order; the latter will sort them under "0", but in the correct order. There's not really a 'good' way to do this, since MediaWiki sorts alphabetically, not numerically.

mith: More on categories later, but you may want to use http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... &limit=250 if you're not already.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #79 (isolation #10) » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Oi, I lost track of this thread. My big question is, why are you creating two or three subpages for each game? That's going to end up being a lot of pages to maintain, once we get all 1000 or whatever games up there...might even strain the server.

If you want to hide the end of the game, there's some javascript we can use to hide parts of a page, it's pretty slick.

Re: 73 # 74: The way MediaWiki handles redirects is incredibly cheap, serverwise. So whether we store the games at their 'name' or their number is largely immaterial, as we should always create a redirect from, say, Gambits II or whatever common name the game has, or vice versa. Similar to what I'm doing for usernames -> scummer names.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #83 (isolation #11) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:07 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Does [[Newbie 10#Day 1]] do what you're after, by chance?

We should talk in real time sometime about this, as I'm guessing it will be faster that way to chat about some of this stuff. I'm planning on being mostly offline this weekend though..
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #112 (isolation #12) » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:38 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

It's probably possible, Kelly. I hadn't thought of the
Newguy --> [[Newguy]] --> [[User:Newguy]]
problem, which is a minor difficulty, but not insignificant. It's definitely possible to run a script/robot that goes through the username list and creates redirects from one to the other once a week or so, though.

It should also be possible to create an exclusion list for the usernames, though; probably "Vigilante" should already be off-limits. :roll:

One other benefit of actually using User:/Scummer: pages is that if someone leaves you a message on the wiki on your user_talk page, you get a bright orange bar alerting you. The talk: page doesn't do that...
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #117 (isolation #13) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:48 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'm not really active except for spamfighting, but I can always consult.
jeep wrote:We haven't decided how quickly after RC we will switch.
Ooooh, unintentional irony, how you sting...
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #126 (isolation #14) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:02 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Queue threads (VRK just closed the old Newbie Signup thread and started a new one; Newbies don't want to be bounced around four threads to find the 'current' place to go.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #139 (isolation #15) » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

kunkstar7 wrote:Regarding this, maybe considering some sort of standardized VOTE: tag or
Votecount:
? Having this standardized would allow people to pull information much easier, and potentially simplify automatic datamining from threads, making populating information much much easier. Actually the standardized VOTE: would be extremely simple to introduce into phpbb3 with its custom bbcode tags.
Already done in testing. I'm not certain what it will look like in the final forum, but for right now it's an idea I agree with (and yes, automated/formatted votecounts will be MUCH harder).
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #141 (isolation #16) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:49 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

This bump brought to you by me trying to make sense of the King page:

Can one of you template wizards take a look at Template:role? The "notes" field has been broken for over a year, and I don't understand conditional templates well enough to fix it. :oops:

Also, some sort of 'disambiguation' variable would be good, too... or I'd settle for the ability to retitle the template box, so I can name one
King (Kingmaker)
and the other
King (Palace)
, or something similar.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #143 (isolation #17) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I agree with Vi. It's true that our copyright status is ambiguous, but since nobody's trying to publish the wiki or make any money off of it, that's probably an acceptable hassle. And trying to split out 'MafiaScum's Wiki' from 'Mafia Wiki' seems like a fool's errand of the highest degree. Linking alone will become extremely problematic... though we could solve some of that by making a separate namespace within the wiki for MS-specific stuff, perhaps, and [after we go to single-login] moving player stuff to the User: space uniformly.
Last edited by Mr. Flay on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #145 (isolation #18) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #154 (isolation #19) » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:37 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Mr. Flay wrote:Can one of you template wizards take a look at Template:role? The "notes" field has been broken for over a year, and I don't understand conditional templates well enough to fix it. :oops:
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #160 (isolation #20) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:22 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Nah, but we're about to 'soon' (whenever mith gets a chance)..
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #165 (isolation #21) » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

ReaperCharlie wrote:Does this mean the wiki is now gonna look like the new Wikipedia? I'm not sure if I like that...
I think we can flip back to the 'old' style, which I prefer as well. If not, we can probably do something to make it less.. 'cutesy'.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #168 (isolation #22) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

A quick edit on my page went through. Will try doing an image here in a bit...

ProductVersion
MediaWiki1.16.0
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #169 (isolation #23) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:21 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Images give the old familiar error:
The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver.

Also, the thumbnail error someone mentioned recently still shows up:
Error creating thumbnail: /usr/bin/convert: not found
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #173 (isolation #24) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:48 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Indeed, both seem to be working now.

Also seems to be running faster, though it's hard to tell from work.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”